An Older Man at Work Asked Me Out

Eisani

What to do? A manager from another department finally got the courage to ask me out for dinner and drinks. We've always flirted a bit, but nothing more. He's cool, down to earth, and good looking. He's about 15 yrs older but he doesn't look his age at all. I was just totally lost for words (rarely happens) and told him I'd have to make sure I didn't have plans this weekend before answering. Even though he's in a different department in a different part of the building, I've never been big on dating people from my job but I think I'm interested, or at least intrigued. What do y'all think? Has anyone successfully gone out w/someone they work with? What about the age difference, is it too much?

I say go for it! I have dated my Accounting instructor before, not until the class was finished of course. I kind of thought he was interested, but after he emailed me asking if I would like to talk, I knew for sure. He is 14 years older than I, same line up as you, very cool, handsome, well dressed, etc. Had a lot of fun and learned some new things. It could work for you.

One other thing is since he's older he'll likely want to uphold your same standards of keeping things professional at work. It's a good thing he's in another department so that if you're dating it won't be like you're together 24/7.

What to do? A manager from another department finally got the courage to ask me out for dinner and drinks. We've always flirted a bit, but nothing more. He's cool, down to earth, and good looking. He's about 15 yrs older but he doesn't look his age at all. I was just totally lost for words (rarely happens) and told him I'd have to make sure I didn't have plans this weekend before answering. Even though he's in a different department in a different part of the building, I've never been big on dating people from my job but I think I'm interested, or at least intrigued. What do y'all think? Has anyone successfully gone out w/someone they work with? What about the age difference, is it too much?

That would've been on my mind as well. But if you are interested I don't see a problem with that at all. Let's just hope that he's not one of those "water fountain" characters. Business be all around the office:spinning:

I'm not going to give him an answer until tomorrow. Since he's management, I don't think I'd have to worry about him standing around the breakroom talking junk. Not unless he wants to risk his job.

I met my husband at work (we still work together, as a matter of fact ;)) and he's 9 years older than me. :) I say give it a try, as long as you are comfortable with how things are going. As someone who's been there, I suggest keeping things quiet (at least early on) and establishing boundaries (both for yourselves and your co-workers). Good luck!

I met my husband at work (we still work together, as a matter of fact ;)) and he's 9 years older than me. :) I say give it a try, as long as you are comfortable with how things are going. As someone who's been there, I suggest keeping things quiet (at least early on) and establishing boundaries (both for yourselves and your co-workers). Good luck!

Yes, if you're gonna do it, don't let your coworkers know NADA!!! Be VERY discreet.

Don't email each other usign the company email, don't meet in front of the workplace, try to meet somewhere else.

I will never ever again in life date a coworker. I did it for 5 years (4 years and 364.5 days too long) We even lived together for about two years. He was 7 years older but that wasn't an issue. Never gain. I'd say go out with him just to see what's up. I know I'll never have a relationship with someone I work with ever again.

Follow your first gut. If you're asking, then you are probably having second thoughts. I just make it a habit never to go out with coworkers. Even for happy hour. Go out for lunch because then, you can feel him out. Then decifer if you want to go out on a "date" with him. Lunch is harmless. I would also be thinking to myself...I wonder how many other women he's asked out. That's how I would carry it.

on the last day of one of my jobs the vp asked me out---now i was quite shocked i mean he was very very professional and didnt show any not even one incling while i was working there that he even fancied me--he was about 12 yrs older than me at the time

we went out for dinner and became great friends---we hangout here and there---it didnt become anything more--my choice--i hooked him up with his current wife- a women more closer to his age and they got married last yr...his connections have helped me out a great deal--and i think all turned out well on both ends

there are at least 2 couples who met and married each other at my job, 1 that is engaged, and others that are dating. go for it homie.

I've dated co-workers in the past, and it always turned out to be an unwise choice.
All I have to say is just keep folks out ya bizness!! Been there---done that twice.

If you decide to go out with him, it would be a good idea to not confide in any other co-workers about what's going on with you and dude---even if that other coworker is a good friend.

I'd advise him to do the same.

And if you decide to take it further, do your best to keep your relationship at work on a professional basis.
I'd continue to call him 'Mr. Smith' at work--versus John.

This possibly could work since you work in different buildings!

As far as the age difference goes.......I wouldn't think much about it. You'll find out soon enough if you guys have things in common!

And by all means...keep us in the loop!!!!!!! :grin:

Back