An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

How many people's conditioner's got watery instead of thick when they tried this? Mine (8 oz to 1 tsp salt) turned watery instantly. I still used it and it came out ok nothing to jump up and down about. Is there something else I needed to have done instead?

I've only had one conditioner turn watery on me, and you're right, it wasn't as delightful as an experience as the foamy ones are. :look: Don't get me to lying on which conditioner it was, and I've no clue why it goes watery sometimes - maybe it depends on the pH level of the conditioner, itself?

JustKiya,

Thanks for the response. I tried it with my humecto (tub) so I had to use it anyway (stuff ain't cheap) Next time I will try on my VO5 and see how that goes. Hopefully it will be better.

JustKiya, girl you're a genius. My ends were feeling a little iffy yesterday, and I remembered your salt suggestion. I mixed a teaspoon of table salt into about 8 ounces of my rhassoul clay mix (I was doubtful it would work with this), slathered it on and let it marinate under my plastic cap for 3-4 hours, rinsed. BEAUTIFUL! :drunk: My hair feels lovely, I am too pleased.

Do any of you ladies use salt water? I find it easier to work with. :yep:

I get a water bottle with some water left in it (optional). I put in aloe vera, salt, and MSM (liquid) & shake up the bottle then add the contents to my conditioner.

I get a water bottle with some water left in it (optional). I put in aloe vera, salt, and MSM (liquid) & shake up the bottle then add the contents to my conditioner.

Oooh, that sounds most interesting!! AV and my hair don't get along, and where did you get liquid MSM?? :look:

Not that I'm going to hop back on pill express, or anything.

Do you purchase the MSM in liquid form? I take MSM crystals, so I'm wondering if I dilute that in water with the salt and add that to the conditioner mix...extra boost. hmmm

I finally took the plunge and tried this with my VO5 strawberries and cream as a Conditioner Wash. Came out FANTASTIC!! Didn't know my hair could feel THAT soft after co washing.. I then deep treated overnight with ORS replenishing pak. My hair feels so soft and very moisturised. Didn't need much to put in my hair this morning. Thanks for this JustKiya

Yeahhh I thought about using salt water, seems like it would be easier to use and mix up in the condish!

This is all so intriguing I know that they use salt to increase the viscosity in shampoos ( some one at my place of work used work in a plant where they made the stuff). It is also said eating too much salt make you retain water.. could it be that it is making your hair retain water too... *off to do research*

On the bolded, when my mother used to dye clothes she always added salt to the mix to make the colour take, think it made the colour last longer too...mmmm so intriguing.

*wonders if it will work on relaxed hair**
How interesting. When I was a child, growing up in Africa, we used to wash dark colored cloths in salty water to preserve the color.
WOW, I never thought that would somehow come in handy, we did it to keep the cloths looking new because we were broke....:rolleyes: and salt was cheaper than replacing worn out clothing:lachen:

How interesting. When I was a child, growing up in Africa, we used to wash dark colored cloths in salty water to preserve the color.
WOW, I never thought that would somehow come in handy, we did it to keep the cloths looking new because we were broke....:rolleyes: and salt was cheaper than replacing worn out clothing:lachen:

I am from Jamaica so no doubt some things trickled down through our ancestors. Cool isn't it?

I washed my hair with VO5 Clarifying Conditioner and Iodized Salt, my hair felt very soft. I'm still dealing with tangly hair, the one time I saw ORS in my area and they were all out.:(

Reading the back of my trader joe's nourish spa shampoo (my favorite shampoo) i realized that it contains sea salt. it also contains citric acid. yay, now i don't have to do any mixing. folks who have the tj's conditioner, does it also contain the salt?

I just tried this for the first time tonight. I did a protein treatment where I sat with it under the drier till it dried (like aphogee), then I mixed about 1tsp sea salt with about 2 oz silk elements conditioner. It got watery right away. I thought it was cause I didn't use enough conditioner so I added phytorganics humectin, that too became watery with lumps in it, no foaming action at all. However when I put it in my hair it instantly softened. I put on a plastic cap and sat under the drier for about 15 min. When rinsing my hair felt soft and thinner, sorta the way it does when you wash after a relaxer and the thickness of the newgrowth is gone. I had no trouble detangling at all. I then followed with hair fixer which is a strong protein leave in conditioner. This leave in usually leaves me with no detangling or moisturizing properties and I always have to follow up with another leave in. Well this time my hair still felt soft and silky after using the hair fixer. I still used another leave in, wrap lotion, rollerset and sat under the drier. When my hair was dried I kinda expected more softness but I think the lack was due to all the protein more then anything else. So in order to soften I use 2 types of oils, a hairdressing cream and a shine pomade (I know that alot but I used a lot of protein). Once I got the moisture back in my hair it felt phenomenal. So soft and silky, I flat Iron my bangs and my edges and I practically look like I got a fresh retouch. I'm only 3 wks post retouch but I am using MT so I already have newgrowth and I practically can't see or feel them, even in the parts of my hair that I left curly and didn't flat iron.

I don't mind it being watery, if it works on my daughter's hair too then I'm gonna mix some and put it in a spray bottle. Since salt is a preservative I don't think it will go bad if I leave a prepared bottle under the sink.

I would like to know if anyone's been able to stretch their relaxer longer using this method. Thank you JK.

After I took out my 4 week old braids, my ends were feeling a little rough. I dusted and my ends still felt like the pits. Then I thought, lemme try the conditioner and salt treatment again. On wet hair, I used 8 oz. of Tresemme's Moisture Rich conditioner and 1teaspoon of salt. I slapped on that plastic cap and waited about 30 minutes. My hair now feels delicious all over again and the ends feel wonderful. The plastic cap is essential because I've tried it without the cap once before and did not receive the same results as the first time I used the mixture. Conditioner and salt......it's a good thing.

Believe it or not I might actually do this again some time

although the first results were excellent, then got kinda shakey/scarey for a minute with how it felt, but once I returned the oil to my hair the results were excellent again :yep:

JustKiya--you're a genius! I don't care if it was an accidental discovery :drunk:
You've been helping me with my hard, breaking, over protiened hair in the MT/OCT thread. I took your advice and DC'd this morning. But I recalled this thread and I added a teaspoon of salt to my DC.

Motions After Shampoo Moisture Plus conditioner (about 2oz) +
a teaspoon of salt (it got really watery) +
one hour with a plastic cap +
rinse w/olive oil and conditioner
= only two hairs in my comb.

Kiya....ONLY TWO HAIRS. This from the girl whos hair usually leaps out at the comb like its jumping from a burning building. Its also less hard. So best believe I am going to keep up the salt routine until I get my softness back permanently.
Thank you Kiya!!

I read this in my book, "Naturally Healthy Hair" by Mary Beth Jansen

SALT

"High in Minerals, salt has a softening and smoothing effect. It is astringent and antiseptic. It also accentuates the cleansing action of shampoos."

Dunno if this has been mentioned previously but there is nothing wrong with using SEA SALT on your hair. As someone who spends ****loads of time in the sea I can bear witness to this, my hair was very very coarse and it softened & loosened up, I thot it was because it was constantly getting wet from being in the sea but a mate of mine said is was the sea salt & when she's landlocked she spritz her hair with sea salt & water.

Quite a few of the professional line use sea salt in their products, GOOGLE SEA SALT SPRAY.

I've had good results with Epsom salt. I figured since it softens my skin in a bath then why not my hair? I add 1 Tbs to 1 Qt of my final herbal hair rinse. So far so good.

Back