An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

I can't believe I missed this thread. My ends are like you described. They are always hard and crunchy no matter what I do. I thought maybe it was just my hair. I've been natural for almost 2 years but I'm sitll getting used to dealing with my thick, thick, cottony, coarse, 4b/z hair. I was even thinking about relaxing this weekend because it seems like my hair is always dry no matter what I do. But I already washed and braided it down for the week, but I will definitely try adding salt to see if it makes a difference.

Any thoughts on using Kosher Salt?

Yes its fine. Its only slightly different from regular table salt due to granual size and lack of iodine. "Kosher salt gets its name not because it follows the guidelines for kosher foods as written in the Torah (nearly all salt is kosher, including ordinary table salt), but rather because of its use in making meats kosher, by helping to extract the blood from the meat" --Wikipedia

Yes its fine. Its only slightly different from regular table salt due to granual size and lack of iodine. "Kosher salt gets its name not because it follows the guidelines for kosher foods as written in the Torah (nearly all salt is kosher, including ordinary table salt), but rather because of its use in making meats kosher, by helping to extract the blood from the meat" --Wikipedia

Thanks Cherezr...good information. Funny you should mention the meat part as I used the Kosher salt to "moisturize" my turkey for Thanksgiving:grin:...

As long as it's dissolved, I see no reason why not - it's regular salt that's been blessed. :lol:

Hey JK - Lawd knows my hair needs all of the blessing it can get:lachen:...I normally do my DC overnight - do you think this combo can be left in overnight?

Thanks Cherezr...good information. Funny you should mention the meat part as I used the Kosher salt to "moisturize" my turkey for Thanksgiving:grin:...

Hey JK - Lawd knows my hair needs all of the blessing it can get:lachen:...I normally do my DC overnight - do you think this combo can be left in overnight?

I don't know. I've never left it in overnight, because I'm paranoid - in all the reading I did, the main risk with using salt was leaving it on for long periods of time. Now, I don't know if they meant days, rather than hours, but for me, to be on the safe side, I try to max it out around 3 hours - that's my personal comfort zone. I think I've heard one lady say that she did it overnight, but I'm not sure. If you do leave it on overnight, I would suggest to be sure that you use maybe a little less salt than usual?

Perhaps you have heard that hair has a sugar bond as well as a salt bond effect going on.And Epson Salt softens the feet. Saline can save our lives. Not everything about salt is negative.

This is an interesting thread. And I started to get concerned with the mix of baking soda and lemon juice/vinegar. And the reason is that I KNOW that mixture will dissolve hair like nobody's business. When my tub is clogged, I pour baking soda in it and top it off with vinegar and follow it with water after the fizzing. I can get with the salt since it's what's used to soften water. I can even get with using baking soda, but I can't do BS and acid together. I asked my husband about that combination (molecular microbiologist) and he agrees with me that you shouldn't mix BS and acid and put it on your hair.

This is an interesting thread. And I started to get concerned with the mix of baking soda and lemon juice/vinegar. And the reason is that I KNOW that mixture will dissolve hair like nobody's business. When my tub is clogged, I pour baking soda in it and top it off with vinegar and follow it with water after the fizzing. I can get with the salt since it's what's used to soften water. I can even get with using baking soda, but I can't do BS and acid together. I asked my husband about that combination (molecular microbiologist) and he agrees with me that you shouldn't mix BS and acid and put it on your hair.

The BS & Vinegar isn't dissolving hair in your drains, the bubbling that it makes is rearranging them so that it can 'dislodge' the gook. :lol: I use the same mixture in my drains, all the time. Try leaving a bit of shed hair in a baking soda & vinegar mix - it'll just sit there, and look at you, not dissolve. :)

The chemical reaction of BS+Acid = a salt and water, so if you are comfy using salt and water on your hair, you'll be okay using baking soda and acid, as well.

There is a link, I think, further up this thread, talking about the actual chemical reactions that are going on.

ETA: Here is the chemical reaction: NaHCO3(s) (Baking Soda) + CH3COOH(aq) (acetic acid=vinegar) → CH3COONa(aq) (sodium acetate = a salt of a weak acid) + CO2(g) (gas bubbles) + H2O(l) (water).

So really, using the BS & Vinegar is the long way to put salt in your conditioner. Using Sodium Chloride (table salt) is quicker and easier.

If you used citric acid (lemon) instead, you would end up with Sodium Citrate, another salt of a weak acid.

Last edited:
I tried this yesterday. I added half a teaspoon to 4 oz of V05 Moisture Milks (the peach one). It had a strange reaction, making little clumps throughout the conditioner. I conditioned and left on for about 10 minutes. I didn't notice any difference in my ends, so I went ahead and trimmed them because they were feeling really rough.

I've noticed that there is a difference in the effect depending on which condish you use. I used it first with Motions After Shampoo Moisture Plus. I got amazing results. I ran out of that and tried it with a Pantene condish. I got nothing from that. So I went back to using it with Motions and I get instant results every time.

I've noticed that there is a difference in the effect depending on which condish you use. I used it first with Motions After Shampoo Moisture Plus. I got amazing results. I ran out of that and tried it with a Pantene condish. I got nothing from that. So I went back to using it with Motions and I get instant results every time.

I used the Patene Conditioner today in teh Brown bottle. First I misxed my lemon juice and baking soda. After that I mixed about 2 ounces on Pantene in with that. I was so scared. I elft it in for 15 minutes and I thought my hair still felt kidna hard. I started rinsing out my hair and my fingers was jsut slipping through my strands. I could barely grip my hair. It was so soft and moisutrized. I just hope it remains this way after I get from under the blow dryer

I tried this yesterday. I added half a teaspoon to 4 oz of V05 Moisture Milks (the peach one). It had a strange reaction, making little clumps throughout the conditioner. I conditioned and left on for about 10 minutes. I didn't notice any difference in my ends, so I went ahead and trimmed them because they were feeling really rough.

yea, same thing happened to me when I used it...it made clumps and I didn't notice much of a difference in my hair. I used suave humectant...maybe its cuz I used a cheapie conditioner...?

I don't think it's the cheapie bit, because I use cheapies all the time. It might be the amount of cones in it, because all the cons I've used are silicone-free.... I dunno.... :perplexed

My hair is soooo soft and shiny...I just can't stop touching it! I'm definately going to incorporate lemon juice and baking soda into my deep conditioning regimens! I used a lotttt of lemon juice like 3 tablespoons and 2 tablespoons of baking soda

I don't think it's the cheapie bit, because I use cheapies all the time. It might be the amount of cones in it, because all the cons I've used are silicone-free.... I dunno.... :perplexed

I don't think the V05 has cones. I might try it again with the suave coconut i have.

I will be putting 1/2 a teaspoon of sea salt and a pinch of citric acid in my DC this morning. I am just over 11 weeks post my last relaxer and need some extra softening at this point. Will report back on the results:yep:.

So JK, you think a cone-free condtioner makes a difference huh? Which ones do you use that are cone-free? I might have one of them on hand but not sure...

So JK, you think a cone-free condtioner makes a difference huh? Which ones do you use that are cone-free? I might have one of them on hand but not sure...

I use the Eqyss Premier, and Elsta QP IFC.... I think the AO's are cone-free too, but I'm not sure.

yea, same thing happened to me when I used it...it made clumps and I didn't notice much of a difference in my hair. I used suave humectant...maybe its cuz I used a cheapie conditioner...?

I only add the salt to my VO5 conditioners. It doesnt seem to have the same effect with my other conditioners, I havent compared ingredients to find out why though. I simply put conditioner in the palm of my hand and stir in salt and apply it to my hair until it's saturated. I notice it quickly gets runny so I put a platic bag over my hair and chill for an hour. When I wash out I get the soft, detangled results.

Kiya,

I was reading through this thread and honestly had no intention of posting, but I recalled while reading that my hairdresser told me over the phone last year that my hair was breaking because the "salt bonds" had been broken while relaxing or in too much manipulation and product usage. He told me that possibly whatever is in the water was also breaking down my "salt bonds" and all I needed to do was put a tablespoon of salt in my shampoo, leave it in for 1 minute and then rinse and proceed as usual. He told me to do it three times in a month and my hair should stop shedding.

I was so angry with his relaxer that I got off the phone and immediately FORGOT EVERYTHING he said to me.

My hair proceeded to fall out, break, shed, etc...and I lost more than 5 inches last year. Now, I wish I had listened. When reading this thread, for whatever reason, I vaguely remembered what he said and Googled "salt bond" AND "hair". This is what I found. Kiya, you accidentally discovered the very reason for naturally strong hair, but salt is one of a few bonds. Sugar is also one. Others are mentioned too. It's less about moisture and more about recovery of the natural strength of the bonds of our hair. When your hair is in it's best state, it WILL detangle well. Tangles are unnatural. Interesting huh?

I will be salt-washing and conditioning from now on!!!

Love you, girl!!! Here is the info:

Bonding in Keratin Protein When the hair is in its normal unstretched state. It is referred to as A of alpha keratin. The original configuration of the hair is held in place by the bonding found in the cortex layers of the hair. As we stated earlier, keratin protein begins with an alpha helix building into protofibrils, microfibrils, macrofibrils, then cortex layers. The bonds in the hair are located within each and every alpha helix. The Hydrogen Bond
The first bond we will discuss is the hydrogen bond. This bond is located between the coils of the alpha helix and is responsible for the ability of the hair to be stretched elasticity) and return back to its original shape. The hydrogen bonds allow us to change the shape of the hair temporarily with the aid of water. These bonds are electrolytically controlled and are the most readily broken down and the most readily reformed. These bonds are responsible for approximately 35% of the strength of the hair and 50% of the hair's elasticity (some would argue up to 99.9% of the hair’s elasticity).
The Salt Bond The salt bond is also an ionic (electrolytically controlled) bond formed by the electron transfer from the side chain of a basic amino group (an amino acid with an 00C- group) to the side chain of an acidic amino acid, i.e. NH3+. (This is two positive and negative charges attracting one another.) This occurs in a position paralleled to the axis line of the rotation of the helix of the hair. The salt bond is responsible for approximately 35% of the strength of the hair and 50% of the hair's elasticity.
The Cystine Bond The cystine bond also known as the disulfide bond, sulfur bond, or just S bond is formed by cross-links between cystine residues (amino acids) of the main polypeptide chains. This bond is perpendicular to the axis of the hair and between the polypeptide chains. Because of its position in the hair, it is responsible for the hair's toughness or abrasion resistance. (It actually holds the hair fibers together.) These cross-links are frequent in the hair fiber, with maximum of frequency of one cystine bond every four turns of the alpha helix. This is what enables us to permanent wave the hair.
The Sugar Bond The sugar bond is formed between the side chain of an amino acid having an OH group and an acidic amino group. This bond is also formed perpendicular to the axis of the hair. Because of its position, it gives the hair toughness but little strength (5%). Some moisture is contributed to the hair as a by-product of this bonding. Preventing Damage Damage to the hair is usually caused by heat (irons, blow drying, curlers, heat lamps, etc.), U.V. rays (Sun, lights, tanning beds), mechanical devices (combs, brushes, curling irons, etc.), chemicals (color, perms, relaxers, pool chemicals, the air, etc), or poor diet (specifically -lack of proteins and essential fatty acids). Here are some ways to prevent or "help" prevent damage to your hair:
1) Use a thermal protector when using heat. See "thermal protectors" under conditioners 2) Do not blow dry the hair completely dry. Leave a little moisture in. 3) Use a conditioner with U.V. protectors built in. 4) Use a low or no ammonia hair color. 5) Air oxidize perms instead of using the neutralizer. 6) Never brush wet or damp hair. Use a wide toothed comb. See "tools" 7) On dry hair use a boars hair brush and start at the ends and work up. 8) Clarify your hair after you swim. 9) Blow dry on the "cool" setting. 10) Eat protein rich foods (chicken, fish, nuts) - Eat foods rich in essential fatty acids (not from animal sources [they contain cholesterol]-only from botanical sources) - The best we've seen for damaged hair click here
Quick Fixes These are only temporary fixes. They do not provide real solutions to damaged hair. They provide a way to get the hair look good fast. Again, I hesitate to even write this column because I do not want to give you the impression these ideas should be used on a regular basis. True "fixes" are above and below this column. 1) "Scrunch" or mist a glosser into dry hair. Many companies claim glossers "repair the hair", they don't. They do coat the hair with a layer of silicone oil (dimethicone, cyclomethicone) see glossers under conditioners 2) Use a flexible styling gel. Apply to damp hair and blow dry or air dry. 3) Take 1-3 drops of mineral oil in your hand. Rub your hands together and "scrunch into dry hair. The best we've seen for damaged hair click here
Real Solutions for Damaged Hair The following is written on the understanding you have already damaged your hair and need help to repair the damage. Here are some real solutions that may take a little time. Please note also that damaged hair IS NOT necessarily dry hair. Dry hair (see) is a completely different topic. The tips below will only strengthen the hair. 1) Use Nexxus Emergencee once a day for a week, then drop off to once a week. Follow each Emergencee treatment with a good moisturizer. 2) Go to a salon that offers the L'anza Ultimate Treatment. 3) Start taking a good hair supplement (this will take time, as hair grows on average 1/2" per month) 4) Mix a "cocktail" of 1oz. Nexxus Humectress, 1oz. Nexxus Epitome, 1oz. Nexxus KerapHix, 1 teaspoon vegatable oil. Shake well, apply (the size of a quarter ) to clean towel dried hair, leave on for 10 minutes, rinse. 5) Another good "cocktail" is 1oz. Paul Mitchell Super Charged Conditioner, 1oz. Paul Mitchell Hair Repair, 1oz. L'anza Reconstructor. Mix well, apply the size of quarter to clean damp hair, leave on 10 minutes, rinse.

Forgive me if someone already shared this. The thread is long... If someone knows the natural foods or veggies or chemicals/powders or WHATEVER that can help us restore all the bonds, that would be great!!! Salt is a wonderful step in a very right direction. Kiya, you are the BEST!!!!

Love and growth to us all!

Christi J.

I don't doubt that at all. I did this as a pre-poo (mixed several different conditioners, coconut oil, lime juice, honey, castor oil, EVOO, glycerin, and just a little bit of salt). I left it on my hair for at least 15 minutes with a plastic bag and a towel wrapped around my head. When I rinsed my hair, it was soft, silky, but it also felt STRONG.

I'm going to wash and condition now with Aphogee Shampoo and Reconstructor and see how it affects the softness and silkiness. I'll let you guys know what happens . . .

Ok, so the Aphogee took away most of the softness and silkiness . . . DUH, SQUIK!! So I deep conditioned with the mix. I could only stay under my hooded dryer for about 15 minutes because the mixture kept running down my face and neck and everywhere!!! But it made my skin feel very soft . . . Hmmm . . . maybe I can use something similar for a lotion??? Anyway, my hair went back to the way it was before after the DC. I did use my leave in, wrap lotion, and Chi SI . . . my hair was as detangled and easy to comb thru as when I get a relaxer. I wet wrap my hair and now I'm air drying. This is a great find!!! THANKS, KIYA!!!! :)

Where do yo get citric acid from?

I've gotten it online, mostly - FNWL and lotioncrafters (LC is cheaper). I think it's sold in the grocery stores as 'lemon' crystals, but I've never seen it/had any confirmation that it is....

Can someone whose read the thread give me the abridged version. Can I be lazy just this once?:look: Salt- Good? Bad? Thumbs up? What went down:look:? Thanks!!

Can someone whose read the thread give me the abridged version. Can I be lazy just this once?:look: Salt- Good? Bad? Thumbs up? What went down:look:? Thanks!!

:lachen:

Salt is the sure shot. 1 teaspoon to about 8 oz of conditioner, apply, rinse out, hair like butta.

Dang, when did this thread hit ten pages!!! :thud: (Go to User CP, Edit Options, at the bottom of the page there is an option to set your view to 40 posts per page) ;)

:lachen:

Salt is the sure shot. 1 teaspoon to about 8 oz of conditioner, apply, rinse out, hair like butta.

Dang, when did this thread hit ten pages!!! :thud: (Go to User CP, Edit Options, at the bottom of the page there is an option to set your view to 40 posts per page) ;)

Thank you!!!;)

Great tip. My screen shows 39 pages. Very discouraging when you just want the results without the filler.

Thanks again!!

Back