An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

This was the best thing that ever happened to my hair...I have done it once, but will continue after I take out my sew-in. Soft hair and sleek ends!!!!

Hmmm....What is citric acid? Lemon juice? If I were to mix baking soda and lemon juice together with soem conditioner....I wonder what will happen.....the Biology major in myself makes me wanna go and try it out!!

Bonding in Keratin Protein When the hair is in its normal unstretched state. It is referred to as A of alpha keratin. The original configuration of the hair is held in place by the bonding found in the cortex layers of the hair. As we stated earlier, keratin protein begins with an alpha helix building into protofibrils, microfibrils, macrofibrils, then cortex layers. The bonds in the hair are located within each and every alpha helix. The Hydrogen Bond
The first bond we will discuss is the hydrogen bond. This bond is located between the coils of the alpha helix and is responsible for the ability of the hair to be stretched elasticity) and return back to its original shape. The hydrogen bonds allow us to change the shape of the hair temporarily with the aid of water. These bonds are electrolytically controlled and are the most readily broken down and the most readily reformed. These bonds are responsible for approximately 35% of the strength of the hair and 50% of the hair's elasticity (some would argue up to 99.9% of the hair’s elasticity).
The Salt Bond The salt bond is also an ionic (electrolytically controlled) bond formed by the electron transfer from the side chain of a basic amino group (an amino acid with an 00C- group) to the side chain of an acidic amino acid, i.e. NH3+. (This is two positive and negative charges attracting one another.) This occurs in a position paralleled to the axis line of the rotation of the helix of the hair. The salt bond is responsible for approximately 35% of the strength of the hair and 50% of the hair's elasticity.
The Cystine Bond The cystine bond also known as the disulfide bond, sulfur bond, or just S bond is formed by cross-links between cystine residues (amino acids) of the main polypeptide chains. This bond is perpendicular to the axis of the hair and between the polypeptide chains. Because of its position in the hair, it is responsible for the hair's toughness or abrasion resistance. (It actually holds the hair fibers together.) These cross-links are frequent in the hair fiber, with maximum of frequency of one cystine bond every four turns of the alpha helix. This is what enables us to permanent wave the hair.
The Sugar Bond The sugar bond is formed between the side chain of an amino acid having an OH group and an acidic amino group. This bond is also formed perpendicular to the axis of the hair. Because of its position, it gives the hair toughness but little strength (5%). Some moisture is contributed to the hair as a by-product of this bonding. Preventing Damage Damage to the hair is usually caused by heat (irons, blow drying, curlers, heat lamps, etc.), U.V. rays (Sun, lights, tanning beds), mechanical devices (combs, brushes, curling irons, etc.), chemicals (color, perms, relaxers, pool chemicals, the air, etc), or poor diet (specifically -lack of proteins and essential fatty acids). Here are some ways to prevent or "help" prevent damage to your hair:
1) Use a thermal protector when using heat. See "thermal protectors" under conditioners 2) Do not blow dry the hair completely dry. Leave a little moisture in. 3) Use a conditioner with U.V. protectors built in. 4) Use a low or no ammonia hair color. 5) Air oxidize perms instead of using the neutralizer. 6) Never brush wet or damp hair. Use a wide toothed comb. See "tools" 7) On dry hair use a boars hair brush and start at the ends and work up. 8) Clarify your hair after you swim. 9) Blow dry on the "cool" setting. 10) Eat protein rich foods (chicken, fish, nuts) - Eat foods rich in essential fatty acids (not from animal sources [they contain cholesterol]-only from botanical sources) - The best we've seen for damaged hair click here
Quick Fixes These are only temporary fixes. They do not provide real solutions to damaged hair. They provide a way to get the hair look good fast. Again, I hesitate to even write this column because I do not want to give you the impression these ideas should be used on a regular basis. True "fixes" are above and below this column. 1) "Scrunch" or mist a glosser into dry hair. Many companies claim glossers "repair the hair", they don't. They do coat the hair with a layer of silicone oil (dimethicone, cyclomethicone) see glossers under conditioners 2) Use a flexible styling gel. Apply to damp hair and blow dry or air dry. 3) Take 1-3 drops of mineral oil in your hand. Rub your hands together and "scrunch into dry hair. The best we've seen for damaged hair click here
Real Solutions for Damaged Hair The following is written on the understanding you have already damaged your hair and need help to repair the damage. Here are some real solutions that may take a little time. Please note also that damaged hair IS NOT necessarily dry hair. Dry hair (see) is a completely different topic. The tips below will only strengthen the hair. 1) Use Nexxus Emergencee once a day for a week, then drop off to once a week. Follow each Emergencee treatment with a good moisturizer. 2) Go to a salon that offers the L'anza Ultimate Treatment. 3) Start taking a good hair supplement (this will take time, as hair grows on average 1/2" per month) 4) Mix a "cocktail" of 1oz. Nexxus Humectress, 1oz. Nexxus Epitome, 1oz. Nexxus KerapHix, 1 teaspoon vegatable oil. Shake well, apply (the size of a quarter ) to clean towel dried hair, leave on for 10 minutes, rinse. 5) Another good "cocktail" is 1oz. Paul Mitchell Super Charged Conditioner, 1oz. Paul Mitchell Hair Repair, 1oz. L'anza Reconstructor. Mix well, apply the size of quarter to clean damp hair, leave on 10 minutes, rinse.

2 questions... should i add some sugar to conditioner? what does it mean to "air oxidize" instead of neutralize?

Kiya,

I was reading through this thread and honestly had no intention of posting, but I recalled while reading that my hairdresser told me over the phone last year that my hair was breaking because the "salt bonds" had been broken while relaxing or in too much manipulation and product usage. he told me that possibly whatever is in the water was also breaking down my "salt bonds" and all I needed to do was put a tablespoon of salt in my shampoo, leave it in for 1 minute and then rinse and proceed as usual. He told me to do it three times in a month and my hair should stop shedding.

I was so angry with his relaxer that I got off the phone and immediately FORGOT EVERYTHING he said to me.

My hair proceeded to fall out, break, shed, etc...and I lost more than 5 inches last year. Now, I wish I had listened. When reading this thread, for whatever reason, I vaguely remembered what he said and Googled "salt bond" AND hair. This is what I found. Kiya, you accidentally discovered the very reason for naturally strong hair, but sakt is one of a few bonds. Sugar is also one. Others are mentioned too. It's less about moisture and more about recovery of the natural strength of the bonds of our hair. When your hair is in it's best state, it WILL detangle well. Tangles are unnatural. Interesting huh?

I will be salt-washing and conditioning from now on!!!

Love you, girl!!! Here is the info:

Bonding in Keratin Protein When the hair is in its normal unstretched state. It is referred to as A of alpha keratin. The original configuration of the hair is held in place by the bonding found in the cortex layers of the hair. As we stated earlier, keratin protein begins with an alpha helix building into protofibrils, microfibrils, macrofibrils, then cortex layers. The bonds in the hair are located within each and every alpha helix.

The Hydrogen Bond

The first bond we will discuss is the hydrogen bond. This bond is located between the coils of the alpha helix and is responsible for the ability of the hair to be stretched elasticity) and return back to its original shape. The hydrogen bonds allow us to change the shape of the hair temporarily with the aid of water. These bonds are electrolytically controlled and are the most readily broken down and the most readily reformed. These bonds are responsible for approximately 35% of the strength of the hair and 50% of the hair's elasticity (some would argue up to 99.9% of the hair’s elasticity).

The Salt Bond
The salt bond is also an ionic (electrolytically controlled) bond formed by the electron transfer from the side chain of a basic amino group (an amino acid with an 00C- group) to the side chain of an acidic amino acid, i.e. NH3+. (This is two positive and negative charges attracting one another.) This occurs in a position paralleled to the axis line of the rotation of the helix of the hair. The salt bond is responsible for approximately 35% of the strength of the hair and 50% of the hair's elasticity.

The Cystine Bond
The cystine bond also known as the disulfide bond, sulfur bond, or just S bond is formed by cross-links between cystine residues (amino acids) of the main polypeptide chains. This bond is perpendicular to the axis of the hair and between the polypeptide chains. Because of its position in the hair, it is responsible for the hair's toughness or abrasion resistance. (It actually holds the hair fibers together.) These cross-links are frequent in the hair fiber, with maximum of frequency of one cystine bond every four turns of the alpha helix. This is what enables us to permanent wave the hair.

The Sugar Bond
The sugar bond is formed between the side chain of an amino acid having an OH group and an acidic amino group. This bond is also formed perpendicular to the axis of the hair. Because of its position, it gives the hair toughness but little strength (5%). Some moisture is contributed to the hair as a by-product of this bonding.

Forgive me if someone already shared this. The thread is long... If someone knows the natural foods or veggies or chemicals/powders or WHATEVER that can help us restore all the bonds, that would be great!!! Salt is a wonderful step in a very right direction. Kiya, you are the BEST!!!!

Love and growth to us all!

Christi J.

MOST interesting - thank you for finding and sharing this - I've never read of such!

Toughness, eh. It seems like that might mean that over time, using salt would make your hair less susceptible to damage?
I wonder if that cystine bond is what makes some sulphur based growth aids work - the hair is being retained more, rather actually growing faster? :scratchch I've never used one though, so I'm just guessing.
I'm also wondering if the sugar bond is how/why using honey/molasses/etc works as a better humectant on hair than just plain glycerin does. :scratchch
I wonder where you can get some electrolytes.... :lol:

More questions, more questions!

I swear, if I even win the lottery, I'm going to sponsor a full scientific study on the properties of the hair!!!!! :yep:

MOST interesting - thank you for finding and sharing this - I've never read of such!

Toughness, eh. It seems like that might mean that over time, using salt would make your hair less susceptible to damage?
I wonder if that cystine bond is what makes some sulphur based growth aids work - the hair is being retained more, rather actually growing faster? :scratchch I've never used one though, so I'm just guessing.
I'm also wondering if the sugar bond is how/why using honey/molasses/etc works as a better humectant on hair than just plain glycerin does. :scratchch

I swear, if I even win the lottery, I'm going to sponsor a full scientific study on the properties of the hair!!!!! :yep:

You gon' pour a bottle of pedialyte on your head next? :lachen::lachen:

all those questions got me scratchin my own head too!
p.s. i got $2.64 to put down on the sponsoring:lachen:

I did this as an afterthought tonite. I had my conditioner in a bowl and brought it to the kitchen to add my honey and coconut milk when I saw the box of kosher salt still on the counter from dinner. I just threw some in the mix and did my usual. As I was rinsing, I was just like WOW. My hair felt so soft and strong, and the moisture was insane. When it started to dry, it felt so airy and light. I'll be doing this more often. I was originally gonna prepoo with the mix but my hair felt so good, I just did a loose braid to air dry!

My conditioner mix consisted of:
SitriNillah Hair Masque
Melted Vatika frosting
Coconut Milk (based on someone's sugg, I didn't shake the can and used the heavy cream on the top)
Honey
Wee bit of coarse kosher salt

2 questions... should i add some sugar to conditioner? what does it mean to "air oxidize" instead of neutralize?

Gurl, I don't EVEN know! lol

I don't even know why I recalled that conversation. It was so wierd...but the words "salt bond" just stuck out...so I searched. Regardless, I am putting sugar AND salt in my conditioner in a few moments - a tablespoon of each. here is no way in this world that it can hurt...salt and sugar both bind to food and change the taste...bringing out the best qualities. That's about as scientific as I can get. I figure I like sweet and sour...why not my hair? :lick:

Again, Kiya...this is great! Thanks so much...

Bumping for info if anyone knows about the other bonds and stuff we can find in our kitchens to help with growth/health/strength....

LOL

I will let you all know if I get an afro or a relaxer.....:lachen:

Off to condition and then spend the remainder of the day in London...

Love and growth to us all!!!

Christi J.

Oh, Kiya...quick thought...

HONEY is SUGAR!!!

You use that too don't you? Have u ever put both in the conditioner? I think I will right now...

cj

ok..i tried this today. i used loreal vive pro nutri-gloss conditioner with sea salt. after i rinsed out everything...my hair was a lil rough...but not quite. nothing major. So I made 8 braids for a braid out...BTW i'm 12 weeks post.

my hair is about 85% dry right now...and i'm feeling my newgrowth ..and its so moisturized. i mean every last curl is!..not a single dry spot. Now..i can get my ng this moisturized when i dc. but not during a co-wash. especially when i just slapped the conditioner on. this is truly amazing..i can't wait to take the braids out 2morrow!

I'm a believer! I tried this with my baby's daddy, VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditoner. The B.O.M.B.!

Soft, light, curly deliciousness!

:love4:

Thanks, KIYA!

at the last minute, I decided to throw some epson salts in my conditioner after my cassia treatment today. nirvana! i mean absolute nirvana!! my hair just feels soooo great! strong from the cassia and soft from the salt. oy, i will have to try some honey or molasses in the mix next time! kiya! you have a bunch of ladies here will be forever grateful to you!!!

Be careful to keep the salt at a low level. I put this in my google: "salt" and "viscosity" and "hair" and came up with a link that states there is an optimal level of salt in hair conditioner, and exceeding that level of salt will start to give the opposite effect!! I'm still trying your KiyaFizz tonight!

Be careful to keep the salt at a low level. I put this in my google: "salt" and "viscosity" and "hair" and came up with a link that states there is an optimal level of salt in hair conditioner, and exceeding that level of salt will start to give the opposite effect!! I'm still trying your KiyaFizz tonight!

Could you post the link, please?

I'd suggest about 1 teaspoons of salt per 8 oz of conditioner - adjust if you use more or less conditioner.
I usually put my conditioner on dry hair, let it sit for an hour and then rinse. Would this work or should the hair be wet prior to adding the salt conditioner mixture?

Sorry I didn't come back to post my results from Saturday. I washed, conditioned and literally ran out the door with DD so see a show in London.

Anyway...my hair is remarkably soft. I didn't find that the slip was greater than usual...but maybe that's because of the sugar. It's been really easy to manage and is not shedding too much either - though I don't know if that's a benefit or not.

I am co-washing again today...all salt, no sugar. Excited about how it will turn out.

This is a great thread, ladies!!

Love,
Christi J.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16328001

I probably did the wrong proportions last night.

Mixed a little table salt in water and added conditioner - I don't think I use 4 or eight oz of condish, so tried to estimate the amt of salt. I had a very slight effect.

Side note: the mixture was hard to get off my hands! (or was it just the lingering softness?)

So that's another positive experiment.

Last edited:
you guys were joking about the pedialite,
but i found this online and thought this was very interesting in light of this discussion.

Homemade Pedialite
1 quart water (I use pure spring water or good filtered water, all that chlorine in tap water wont help a queasy tummy)
8 teaspoons sugar (I use my natural sugar, Rapadura (by the company Rapunzel) because it is full of vitamins)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use my celtic sea salt, the purpose of pedialite is to replenish the body’s lost minerals, so I want to make sure the minerals are THERE!)
1/4 cup apple juice or the juice of half an orange
mix all together. (I used warm water as it helped the sugar and salt to dissolve faster)

here is another:

2 quarts water (boiled & Cooled)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
7 T sugar
1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid

Mix the above ingredients well. Store in the refrigerator. (The kool aid is optional).
note the salt, sugar and baking soda.
kiya i do believe this is huge!!!!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but is the above to put in your hair? Or just a homemade pedialyte concoction? Just curious!

no i just posted this to show that pedialite had the same ingredients that we have been talking about in this thread. sugar, salt and baking soda. just thought that was interesting as a food for thought. not sure how this would work out in your hair.

Oh, Kiya...quick thought...

HONEY is SUGAR!!!

You use that too don't you? Have u ever put both in the conditioner? I think I will right now...

cj

Oooh! True, Honey is sugar, and I thought of that when I read it, but no, I don't think I've ever done a honey + salt mix.... hrrrmmm. :scratchch

There is no emoticon for jumping around, busting up, rolling on the floor, snorting, screaming-with-surprise laughing.

Just know that I am....

You are funny.

*Thinks about Pedialyte again...snort...giggle* :)

cj

:lachen:

Yes, yes, yes!!! That's why I specified the amounts that I use - and based on jsut a couple of results, going overboard on this is A BAD IDEA. Definitely the sort of thing that use in moderation is best.

I usually put my conditioner on dry hair, let it sit for an hour and then rinse. Would this work or should the hair be wet prior to adding the salt conditioner mixture?

I usually do my DC on dry hair too, so it should work fine. :yep:

you guys were joking about the pedialite,
but i found this online and thought this was very interesting in light of this discussion.

Homemade Pedialite
1 quart water (I use pure spring water or good filtered water, all that chlorine in tap water wont help a queasy tummy)
8 teaspoons sugar (I use my natural sugar, Rapadura (by the company Rapunzel) because it is full of vitamins)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use my celtic sea salt, the purpose of pedialite is to replenish the body’s lost minerals, so I want to make sure the minerals are THERE!)
1/4 cup apple juice or the juice of half an orange
mix all together. (I used warm water as it helped the sugar and salt to dissolve faster)

here is another:

2 quarts water (boiled & Cooled)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
7 T sugar
1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid

Mix the above ingredients well. Store in the refrigerator. (The kool aid is optional).
note the salt, sugar and baking soda.
kiya i do believe this is huge!!!!

:lachen: :dead:

SHUT. UP!!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

That's AMAZING. And very interesting. :look: VERY interesting. Baking soda, salt, and sugar, eh? :scratchch I swear, the best hair comes out of the kitchen! :lol:

Back