An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

Just to report in. I have incorporated this as part of my regimen. I now use it after my "shampoo" phase to pre-DC detangle. I follow with a quick cheapie DC (Vo5, etc.) because my hair was drying out. Then I do my 1 hour DC. Works fine now. In fact it's perfect, ;)

I guess I should 'report' in too - I'm doing this every other weekend, and the weekends in between I'm cleaning with ayuverdics. Sometimes I'll sub a mild chelation (straight citric acid) or clarifying for the ayurvedics, and my hair is happy. I'm sticking with the BS + CA mix, mostly.

JK...This mix is the BOMB! I tried this out last Saturday when I washed my hair....WOW is all I can say. I thought people were possibly exaggerating on the after effects, but now I know the truth. My hair was so soft and extremely shiny. My hair has never been this shiny in my life without having to add extra products. (BTW I simply added 1 tsp to a half cup of conditoner)

Thank you!

Okay, all you who are wearing your natural or stretching their relaxers, do you find that the salt and conditioner loosens the curls a bit or not? I am wondering if this will help me stretch my relaxer a little longer. I haven't tried this yet, but I want to so thanks for your responses ladies.

Okay, all you who are wearing your natural or stretching their relaxers, do you find that the salt and conditioner loosens the curls a bit or not? I am wondering if this will help me stretch my relaxer a little longer. I haven't tried this yet, but I want to so thanks for your responses ladies.

I personally did not experience any loosening of my curls. (I'm natural) However, my curls were really defined after using this method. Many ladies did say they experienced some temporary loosening though.

No, Aggie, I can't say that my curls are looser. But they are so very much softer - it's almost like it doesn't matter how curly they are, if that makes sense? It's like butta, baby!

:lol: So, I think yeah, it might help with stretching. :yep:

For sometime now, I would sporadically see references to using salt with conditioner. I had no idea why people were doing it, or where they got the idea from. Now I know...

I'm really excited. It will be weeks before I take my cornrows out. Can I still try this... I've only read a handful of the posts. I'm going to read all of them!

For sometime now, I would sporadically see references to using salt with conditioner. I had no idea why people were doing it, or where they got the idea from. Now I know...

I'm really excited. It will be weeks before I take my cornrows out. Can I still try this... I've only read a handful of the posts. I'm going to read all of them!

Hrm.... I dunno. Personally, I'd say no, not for your first time - you want your hair to be loose so that you can fully rinse it off. All of the indications of risk from using salt in your hair seems to come when it stays on your hair for an extended period of time, and there might be some risk of some of the salt staying wedged in a crevice of a cornrow..... which would be bad.

Hrm.... I dunno. Personally, I'd say no, not for your first time - you want your hair to be loose so that you can fully rinse it off. All of the indications of risk from using salt in your hair seems to come when it stays on your hair for an extended period of time, and there might be some risk of some of the salt staying wedged in a crevice of a cornrow..... which would be bad.

Ok. Thanks! One more thing to try when I take my hair down :yay:.

Did I mentioned that I tried bentonite clay on my hair for the first time this past Sunday? I really like the results, I can't wait to try it will a little salt in the mix. :grin:

Oh, that rocks!!! :scratchch

I haven't looked into the clay much - the thought of putting clay in my hair gives me the heebie-jeebies..... What is it supposed to do for you?

I personally did not experience any loosening of my curls. (I'm natural) However, my curls were really defined after using this method. Many ladies did say they experienced some temporary loosening though.

No, Aggie, I can't say that my curls are looser. But they are so very much softer - it's almost like it doesn't matter how curly they are, if that makes sense? It's like butta, baby!

:lol: So, I think yeah, it might help with stretching. :yep:

Thanks CC and JK, Soft is always good when you're stretching. Actually I prefer softer new growth anyway. It's wayyy easier to manage. I look forward to trying it when I wash and DC again.

Next question, what type of conditioners can be used for this? Can I co-wash with a cheapie conditioner using the salt and also can I put this in my DC treatments as well?

I have to admit, I haven't kept any sort of good track as to which conditioners work best with it. You know how I like to mix stuff up! :lol:
So in that, you'll have to experiment. All of my condtioners are cone-free, and petroluem-free, just to give you an idea of what has worked for me. I've used cheapies, Elasta, Eqyss, and Trader Joes. :lol: Along with a bunch of V05 and Suave cheapies. :lol: I know some seemed to work better than others, but don't ask me which.

Thanks CC and JK, Soft is always good when you're stretching. Actually I prefer softer new growth anyway. It's wayyy easier to manage. I look forward to trying it when I wash and DC again.

Next question, what type of conditioners can be used for this? Can I co-wash with a cheapie conditioner using the salt and also can I put this in my DC treatments as well?

So far I've only used J.A.S.O.N.S. organic aloe vera conditioner.

Oh, that rocks!!! :scratchch

I haven't looked into the clay much - the thought of putting clay in my hair gives me the heebie-jeebies..... What is it supposed to do for you?

I'm actually not sure :lachen:.

I have a couple pounds of it sitting in a closet for over a year. I saw a few fotki albums and threads where people were using it in their hair. So I thought that was one way to use it up.

It made my hair felt soft and detangling was a breeze. This was especially notable for two reasons: first, I used it after a conditioner and baking soda clarifying treatment, which cleans my hair well but left it somewhat hard and tangly; and second, immediately after rinsing the clay out I put in some conditioner and began cornrowing my hair in a circle around my head. I had no knots or tangles. I was able to successfully complete the circular cornrows for the very first time. My previous attempts failed. It's a keeper.

i agree, i just tried it. It did a weird foamy thing. I thought it was going to keep rising! i added chi silk after i towel dried and then blow dried. no breakage and my hair feels awesome.Im glad i finally found something to do with that citic acid.

Ooooo :pant: I need some Moisturizing Mojo .......PLEASE !!!!

101208Aa.jpg

Last edited:
I still do this every couple of weeks. Last night I DT'd with a tsp of salt AND SUGAR in my conditioner!! LOL! This method does wonders at reducing the bulkiness of my hair.

Look what I found in the Colorshowers thread:

NEW:
Silicone Color Showers: Dionized Water, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Propylene glycol, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Keratin, Fragrance, FD&C Red No. 33, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Green No. 3, FD&C Orange No. 6, FD&C Red No. 3.
(Rojisimo)

OLD:
Olive Oil Plus Color Showers: Dionized Water, Citric Acid, Salt, Sellosize, Metil and Benzoato Sodium, Quaternium 60, Propy-lene glycol, Red Panceuax #4, Red Amarant #2, Blue #1, Blue #2, Yellow #5, Yellow #6.
(Rojo Vino)

Now it's more like all new ingredients.:ohwell:

They use both salt and citric acid in this product.

Hi Everyone,

I've been rummaging around on this post for about 5 or so months now (around the time since I've decided that I would no longer relax my hair). This is my first post, and I just had to subscribe just to thank you ALL for the courage - and especially Kiya for the Fizzle.

I tried it with a Lustrasilk (mango and shea butter DC) and 2 tbsp of salt, but accidentally didn't wash it out all the way... needless-to-say that it didn't come out too great. So, I decided to head to the store and buy some Tresseme Remoisturizing conditioner (that always seemed to work for me) I was a little leery now that I've been "cooking dinner" for my hair with all natural stuff, but tried the tresseme/salt mixture anyway. It came out Oh So Soft (especially my relaxed parts -soft and silkier than it had ever been)). In order to maximize the greatness of the fizzle (and reading up on Witch Hazel's super ability to keep frizz away) I mixed 2 tablespoons of Witch Hazel with 3 tablespoons of HoneyQuat and sprayed on my hair liberally then did a twist out (I'm so happy - this was my first time doing a twist out ever - I had to watch a zillion Youtube videos before I got the nerve!!!! :)

Sorry that this is so long, but I just wanted to say that I thank you all and pass on a huge, luscious cyber-hug to all of you wonderful sistahs! As a true natural-phobe (who is deeply feeling the call back to my naptural-state), I think I may be able to do this, after all!!

Love,
AC

Ok Ive been thinking. With the BKT, they advise you not to use a product that contains salt or sodium chloride as it wears off the treatment. So I'm thinking, if the salt CORRODES the keratin, could it corrode the keratin in our hair?

Ok Ive been thinking. With the BKT, they advise you not to use a product that contains salt or sodium chloride as it wears off the treatment. So I'm thinking, if the salt CORRODES the keratin, could it corrode the keratin in our hair?

I dunno, honestly.

I know that was one of the risks when leaving salt in on your hair - that it could possibly 'eat away' at the protein - which is why I don't wear this overnight, evah.

But in general - no, I don't think so. My hair isn't getting any weaker, and I'm not seeing more breakage/split ends, which I would think would be the first sign of degradation of my keratin.

I also think it depends on the concentration - I mean, tears/sweat/blood have salt in them, and if they don't eat away at the protein that's in our skin/body - I don't think that low-concentration, short-term use of salt on your hair will eat away at the keratin, either. :look:

The concentration issue is another reason why I specified the amount to use. It's interesting - anytime someone has accidentally or purposely used a lot more (double/triple amounts) they did not get good results - but I know one sister turned around and used the 'right' amount the next day/later the same week, and her hair turned out lovely.

So.... that's what I know. :yep:

This is some what how i do my baking soda treatments. I mix the baking soda in with the conditioner. Deep condition and then snap my cutlices close with a acv rinse. What i found out in my research was that baking soda lefts up the hair cuticles. Thats why it's in hair color treatments to get the color in the strand. The acv snaps the cuticles shut since we all no what happens if you leave your hair cuticle raised. I find that i have to start using protein again at least once a month with this cause it leaves my hair super soft.

Thanks JustKiya,

I tried the KF last night :guiness: (1 tsp BS/ACV/salt) w/ Joico Kpak protein condish.. .I think it helped w/ detangling ...next time I will mix in w/Joico Recovery Moisture.....my hair feels really "smooth" .
1102081a.jpg

How many people's conditioner's got watery instead of thick when they tried this? Mine (8 oz to 1 tsp salt) turned watery instantly. I still used it and it came out ok nothing to jump up and down about. Is there something else I needed to have done instead?

Back