Am I Too "old School"? - Text Communication

[QUOTE="PhonyBaloney500, post: 24832441, member: 3871"The first cellphone! 40 years ago (cough).

marty_cooper.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Did anyone really rock these though?40 years ago means like the late 70s. When I look at old vintage movies from various earlier time periods (including this one), I don't recall seeing even phones like this in them :lol: . I bet they were insanely expensive at the time and like five real people in the world had them outside of business and military use :lol: .

Last edited:
[QUOTE="PhonyBaloney500, post: 24832441, member: 3871"The first cellphone! 40 years ago (cough).

marty_cooper.jpg
Did anyone really rock these though?40 years ago means like the late 70s. I don't remember seeing these often in vintage movies of that era. I bet they were insanely expensive at the time and like five real people in the world had them outside of business and military use :lol: .[/QUOTE]

my first cellphone looked like this one. the year was 1998.

Cell-phone_old-e1351382977588.jpg

I don't think you're old fashioned OP, I just think standards have dropped so LOW these days. :(

However, IMO, it has created "lazy dating" and bred a class of men that don't step up to the plate and "hunt".

Is it too much to ask for voice-on-voice communication early on? There's a gentleman who has had my number for about 6 months. We see each other on a regular basis at my side hustle job, and there is clearly some mutual interest, but he's never CALLED me. I get a casual text every now and then to which I'll casually respond, but I don't push anything. He's 40 years old. He has a mouth... He's said, in passing, "we should go out" to which I've responded, "You have my number, CALL me", but he never has. I'm not a chaser, so I just let it go and continue our mild flirtation.

This past weekend, he asked me if I was available this coming Friday, and I said yes... crickets chirping...

He came back later said he wanted to take me out, and I AGAIN said "OK... just give me a call, " At this point, I don't see how I can put it any plainer. What pall of CALL ME is so hard to grasp? I have well-meaning (nosy) coworkers that tell me I'm too "picky" or hard on men... Is this an example of that?

I dunno. I don't just randomly give out my number, and there was a time when giving your phone number meant that you were inviting conversation. What happened to "swag"? I think a man that's confident enough to CALL me and ask me on a date is sexy, but the consensus of my acquaintances is that I'm asking too much...

Is this how we communicate now?

Yep!!!

You hit the nail on the head.

It irks me because I actually somewhat prefer phone calls to texting. Texting is fun,but was originally only meant for short,brief,pressing msgs that you sent out when you couldn't actually call the person,or if you need to tell them smthg,but don't want/need to have a long drawn out phone conversation with them about it.

But now days? I feel like texting has become a huge clutch. And it's def made men SUPER lazy. :(

What irks me the most is how ppl these days say that they "hate" to talk on the phone....like they actually feel awkward about conversations over the phone.

I'm like.....how do you communicate with ppl in person then?? :confused: The SAME way you talk to someone in person is the same way you speak to them over the phone.

I swear..... Social media and texting has caused the DEATH of humanity. :(

The first cellphone! 40 years ago (cough).

marty_cooper.jpg

Also doubled as a weapon. You can beat people to death with that thing.

@luckiestdestiny
:lachen:
I know the feeling. I’m not calling anyone old because of their age. It’s the irrational nostalgia over these ugly arse old as heck phones that’s aging folks. It’s like talking to people who still use flip phones and they go on a tirade about how the phones still work and they don’t need to upgrade because they don’t want to do extra stuff on their phones. I couldn’t care less what kind of phone people use but stop acting like your dated technology is the bizness.

Guilty! But in my defense, I never had a rotary phone (til now). My grandparents were so old school they didn't wanna have a phone (My grandpa still doesn't, no land line or cel). My grandma gave in in like '89-90, and her phone was exactly this
il_570xN.1197078313_cqh9.jpg
I remember it like it was yesterday. I'm not nostalgic over that ugly thing.

This one on the other hand is beautiful to me and makes me smile
3c8ef6d8ee929b5d80e43810d8a4036b.jpg

I do have a smart phone, though :)

Also doubled as a weapon. You can beat people to death with that thing.

Guilty! But in my defense, I never had a rotary phone (til now). My grandparents were so old school they didn't wanna have a phone (My grandpa still doesn't, no land line or cel). My grandma gave in in like '89-90, and her phone was exactly this
il_570xN.1197078313_cqh9.jpg
I remember it like it was yesterday. I'm not nostalgic over that ugly thing.

This one on the other hand is beautiful to me and makes me smile
3c8ef6d8ee929b5d80e43810d8a4036b.jpg

I do have a smart phone, though :)

I love old phones!

I don't think you're old fashioned OP, I just think standards have dropped so LOW these days. :(

Yep!!!

You hit the nail on the head.

It irks me because I actually somewhat prefer phone calls to texting. Texting is fun,but was originally only meant for short,brief,pressing msgs that you sent out when you couldn't actually call the person,or if you need to tell them smthg,but don't want/need to have a long drawn out phone conversation with them about it.

But now days? I feel like texting has become a huge clutch. And it's def made men SUPER lazy. :(

What irks me the most is how ppl these days say that they "hate" to talk on the phone....like they actually feel awkward about conversations over the phone.

I'm like.....how do you communicate with ppl in person then?? :confused: The SAME way you talk to someone in person is the same way you speak to them over the phone.

I swear..... Social media and texting has caused the DEATH of humanity. :(

I agree, but I gotta say I don't like talking on the phone. I do it when it needs to be done. I prefer talking in person because you can see the person's body language, facial expressions, mannerisms, etc. You can read people better that way. The phone is much better than text, of course, but I'm not someone that's gonna sit there and have a 2 hour phone conversation. It has to be a VERY interesting man for me to talk for so long. I remember only one guy that had me like that when I was single. I talked to him all night two or three times, we literally watched the sunrise "together". Good God :rolleyes::barf:

I'd block him so FAST! I hate it when men text exclusively when first meeting . . .this is one of the top reasons they get blocked. I hate "Good Morning" texts . . .hate 'em! :lachen: I feel like it's a man's lazy attempt at making sure you're "engaged" while making zero effort. So if I get one of those, I answer it hours later. :look: :lachen: I may even answer it the next day, if at all. :lachen: It's my way of reclaiming my time.

I met a gentleman while in New Orleans this weekend. He asked me out when we met and took me out the next day. He lives in Atlanta too, and texted me yesterday morning. I answered two hours later and said that I "look[ed] forward to hearing [his] voice soon." He called me a little bit later and we had a lovely conversation. :) I've learned from lhcf, as well as "The Rules" that you have to train folks how to treat you . . .and be ready to walk away if they don't measure up. I seriously expect a man to be ON POINT when we first meet. Make an effort, keep your word, etc. I've got an itchy "block" finger. :lachen:

marty_cooper.jpg
Did anyone really rock these though?40 years ago means like the late 70s. I don't remember seeing these often in vintage movies of that era. I bet they were insanely expensive at the time and like five real people in the world had them outside of business and military use :lol: .

About 2 years ago, we were helping my aunt organize and declutter her house, and we found one of these in her garage. It had a carrying case that was basically a shoulder bag. :lol:

Last edited:
I’m 31, and my grandma had the wooden one I posted on her kitchen wall. That’s how I know what I’m talking about. :lol: My sister is 27 and we have the same grandma, so she should remember too. Although, I’m old enough to also care. I loved that phone. Thought it was an antique. Lol

I also had a phone in my room like what @Crackers Phinn posted when I was around 11. Called it my princess phone. I eventually moved on to the clear phone and the lips phone. Y’all remember those?
Yes!
When I saw the slimline phone posted my eyes glazed over with fond memories of having one in my bedroom as a tween/teenager- I had the clear slimline too.

@luckiestdestiny
:lachen:
I know the feeling. I’m not calling anyone old because of their age. It’s the irrational nostalgia over these ugly arse old as heck phones that’s aging folks. It’s like talking to people who still use flip phones and they go on a tirade about how the phones still work and they don’t need to upgrade because they don’t want to do extra stuff on their phones. I couldn’t care less what kind of phone people use but stop acting like your dated technology is the bizness.

I'll have you know that my Motorola clamshell works just as well today as the day I bought it. *shakes fist in the air*

giphy.gif

This is a result of women doing everything. Because other women accept this he probably doesn't realize its a problem. He's probably used to women making all the plans when he mentions going out or actively making plans on the spot. Your interest will dictate how much time you spend on this one. He hasn't really done anything wrong but he hasn't done anything right either.

I met a guy and every other part of his conversation was a sexual innuendo. I had to tell him it was not attractive at all and was a turn off. He had been used to women not saying anything or thinking it was cute. You know what he did? He stopped it!

Last edited:
Honestly..

No matter how he asked by text, phone, email or carrier pigeon - the fact he had my number for 6 whole months and only attempted to set something up now would tell me he's not that into me.

Even if he had called following the request, at this point I wouldn't date him personally for that reason. I don't like that he didn't bother to respond to your request for a phone call.

Side note: some men don't want to start phone communications because they are already seeing someone/in a relationship. I don't know if that is the case here. I don't care if a man has a text preference because I do, but if he acted very avoidant of phone calls it would make me suspicious.

Yes...those who are playing don't expect phone calls blowing up their spot, if their pattern with her is texting only. Those who have actual phone calls while in a relationship phones are ether off or on silent. He needs to stawp-it!

200.webp
giphy.webp
200.webp
200.webp

You right.

When I moved into my first apartment (outside of the college campus) in the 90's, I bought a phone that looked like this and a telephone table with seat cuz I was all about the retro in my 20's.

My fiancé refused to use that phone on all kinda general principle. He eventually bought a cordless phone and I couldn't resist being untethered. :(

I love this phone! I actually still have my red purse phone!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

TelephonePurse.jpg
I will cut anyone who tries to throw it away.:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

He's trying to be your pen pal. Block his lazy ass.

I am always up front. I don't like what's app communication. I'm not looking for a text buddy. If you want to talk to me, call me. Whatsapp is for confirming dates and notifying someone you're running late.

I already spend half my life staring at a laptop. I refuse to spend the othe half staring at a phone screen.

Back