Am I Too "old School"? - Text Communication

My grandma still has this phone
6b58169f-67b3-4ef5-9859-2807b0321211-jpeg.432815

and she will not get a new one no matter how much we protest. She now sounds like she is in a tunnel when she talks on it. It is still on her wall. That phone is not just for those who are forties plus. I'd say 33 ish and onward should identify at least this phone in grandma's house. Especially grandma's born around and after the great depression because they were taught to hold on to everything, and they will not let it go (if it works) for dear life. They will find a way to get all the life out of an item and even a way to repurpose it afterwards if necessary. I fully expect that phone to become a paper weight in the future. :look:

:lol: :rofl:

I’m 31, and my grandma had the wooden one I posted on her kitchen wall. That’s how I know what I’m talking about. :lol: My sister is 27 and we have the same grandma, so she should remember too. Although, I’m old enough to also care. I loved that phone. Thought it was an antique. Lol

I also had a phone in my room like what @Crackers Phinn posted when I was around 11. Called it my princess phone. I eventually moved on to the clear phone and the lips phone. Y’all remember those?

I’m 31, and my grandma had the wooden one I posted on her kitchen wall. That’s how I know what I’m talking about. :lol: My sister is 27 and we have the same grandma, so she should remember too. Although, I’m old enough to also care. I loved that phone. Thought it was an antique. Lol

I also had a phone in my room like what @Crackers Phinn posted when I was around 11. Called it my princess phone. I eventually moved on to the clear phone and the lips phone. Y’all remember those?

I hope it stayed in your family. I would've fought some people to keep it :rofl:

We had a clear phone lol

:lachen: I always look for phone booths in the airport and old places in general. I love them. I wouldn't touch one with my bare hands, not even back then, but I'm nostalgic like that. My parents still have an answering machine :lol: I bought a pager in NY in like 98-99, and had it for like 2 weeks, when I realized I had to go get change and find a phone booth to call people that paged me with the "911" and it ended up being nothing, I was like 'nah, i'm lazy, this ain't for me', sold it and ended up getting a cell phone, a Motorola Startac? :look::lol: I remember thinking the antenna thing was so badass :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

timeport.jpg

And I agree call waiting is rude. Wait your turn! :lol::lol::lol:

On the bolded, I agree, and honestly, they want us to give up the goods, but can't even be bothered to pick up the phone and make a simple phone call? Come on...
I went and got the PrimeCo in 98! Lol I had a clear yellow pager! Lol

Like this??
View attachment 432845
I couldn't resist looking up clear yellow pagers. It doesn't say Prime Co on it, though. So did you run to pay phones to retrieve your messages :look:? I'm sure you were just the coolest :lachen:and nobody could tell you ish.

You had to at first :rolleyes: The old ones could only send numbers, so people started typing up numbers that looked like letters or writing in code :rofl: Then later the newer ones came out where you had to call an operator and dictate the message and they would type it and send it for you, or you could send it online (but that was less reliable at first), but at least you didn't make the person you were paging run to a payphone. This is when sexting began. Imagine the awkwardness to dictate a naughty message to an operator cracking up on the other side :lol:

My parents couldn't be bothered to send an actual message, so they would do the whole "911" thing in the middle of class or whatever, and I thought that meant someone got hit by a truck, your cousin's in labor, etc. not pick up a pound of cheddar in the supermarket on your way home. I didn't last a month. The pager life wasn't for me :cry3:

Edit: These were all over too, mostly supermarkets, convenience stores, etc.
il_fullxfull.662938205_b2i2.jpg

Last edited:
You couldn’t tell me knowing when I was on my “Clarissa Explains It All” phone.

View attachment 432847

Btw, Sorry for derailing your thread, op. :giggle:
This thread was derailed the minute a 40 year old man didn't know how to effectively communicate via phone :giggle:
It's his fault. We can't be held responsible. :lachen: We did our part by ensuring that OP and others visualize what is actually going on, while at the same time making sure we all have a good laugh and some fun at the same time while trekking down memory lane.

Not a bad thread at all imo, but of course I hope OP agrees.:D

Yeah, I let it go. He was just too passive about the whole thing. It was like he was putting his feelers out to see if I would respond. I think in the initial stages the man should be the aggressor.

The nosy (younger) coworkers informed me that he said he was a little apprehensive about calling because "I've got it together"...

That indicates a lack of confidence to me... such a turnoff.

"Got it together"...and that makes him apprehensive? :lol: . That is beyond a lack of confidence. I guess he wants a hot mess, or a pushover...someone who he knows will put up with his crap (more to come....a precursor indicator being his lack of follow through, initiative, and commitment) .

I'm glad you let it go. Thank goodness!

This thread has been taken over by the LHCF Old Lady Gang.
:lachen:

I say this lovingly because I'm certainly old enough to remember these old phones.
:lol: :lol: :rofl: I say this lovingly as well ...SHUT UP!
200_d.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Notice how the gifs escalated in emotion :giggle:
28+ is not old :lol:

Even 40-50 isn't to me. People are living so long these days. But eh to young peeps everyone is old. I remember when my cousins called me old and I was just 25 (they were 18) :lol: and at the time I was hurt. That is so ridiculous now :lol:

Last edited:
@luckiestdestiny
:lachen:
I know the feeling. I’m not calling anyone old because of their age. It’s the irrational nostalgia over these ugly arse old as heck phones that’s aging folks. It’s like talking to people who still use flip phones and they go on a tirade about how the phones still work and they don’t need to upgrade because they don’t want to do extra stuff on their phones. I couldn’t care less what kind of phone people use but stop acting like your dated technology is the bizness.

I bought a pager in NY in like 98-99, and had it for like 2 weeks, when I realized I had to go get change and find a phone booth to call people that paged me with the "911" and it ended up being nothing, I was like 'nah, i'm lazy, this ain't for me', sold it and ended up getting a cell phone, a Motorola
Omg same here!! After having that pager for 2 weeks, I was like: screw this! I started looking for cell phones and convinced my mom to buy me a Motorola V120 since I was only 16-17.
745BA066-06DC-4E9D-952B-EEFF688A01C9.jpeg
I loved that thing and thought it was the coolest! Until they came out with colored screens and then cameras on phone.

Back