Alright, I did my BKT.........but

winterinatl

All natural!
I'm not excited. Editted 6/1: I AM EXCITED!!

PICTURES AT POST # 29

ETA: I am relaxed with Elucence, whatever the gentlest formula they have is (forgot)

My hair is soft and straight, like it's supposed to be. But there is no shine they way I thought there would be. It sort of has a dull sheen - not at all what I expected.

It took me a very long time to do everything. I washed my hair at 11pm and tied up my hair at 3:30am. I was surprised it would take this long b/c I am relaxed.

What I did was:

1. Use two ounces of QOD Gold (procured on EBay - see Pinkskates for contact info).

2. Clarified with Suave claryifier - in sections (to combat tangling) twice, in the shower.

3. towel dried, then dried the naked hair in sections with a ceramic handheld dryer. After the hair dried it was shiny and soft.

4. I went over the roots with my Rsessions root control iron. Totally unecessary at this point for me, and a waste of at least an hour. But I did have roots to straighten, about 1/3 inch - 1/2 inch.

5. I applied the BKT in little sections starting at the nape, using and relaxer brush. It took a while for me to get the hang of "painting" it on, the entire length to saturate but not over saturate. It smelled like bananas. I had a fan running, but not right on me. I used the entire two ounces. Perhaps it was too much? Oh and I also used my hands. I was getting tired and impatient.

6. After I finished (who knows how long, it's a blur), I went to blowdry out in the open of my bedroom. I had a fan (a big one) blowing toward my face and the open window. There was a bit of a chemically smell but it didn't irrate me. I didn't comb through much until the hair was hot, then it got easier to comb.

7. Now see, I should have not used the root control iron at the beginning, because the wetness from the treatment had let the waves at the roots creep back up.

Anyway, on to the flat iron step. The hair is now coated, hanging straight and with a certain "heft" that wasn't there before, but no shine. No problem, right?

8. I used the Babyliss One inch I got from TJ Maxx (the dryer was Babyliss too) and flat ironed section by section. I first ran the iron over the first two-three inches 10 times, which was easy b/c I was holding the cool length. But going over the length 10 times was soooo hard it was soooo HOT! My hands are still sore.

This was the place where I should have used my Rsessions root control, it was hard getting the roots straight again but now they are pretty straight.

I felt really apprehensive about doing it ten times, sometimes giving the section only 5 go overs. I wondered did it need to be THAT hot and have it gone over THAT many times.

But I will say.....each section felt differently with the number of passes. There was a definate difference between one or two passovers and 5-6.

After i was done, my hair felt odd. A tad bit "tacky" and cool. It was silky but not. My hands didn't flow through it "like glass".

I'd say based on this first try, I prefer the look and feel of my hair after sabino moisture block treatment. It looks nice, it does. It feels coated. But now I'm scared I hurt my long hair, I have to keep from sweating still, and it's not shiny. I'll be back.....

Last edited:
I'll post up some pictures later.

I wanted to also say that I am glad I did it myself, no disrespect to our very capable stylists.

Sorry about your disappointment. I hope your long hair is not ruined, and that over time the treatment will fade away so your hair can go back to normal. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Winterinatl,
Sorry that you're not happy with your treatment. I think I read that you should see more shine and bounce after your 1st wash.

Winterinatl,
Sorry that you're not happy with your treatment. I think I read that you should see more shine and bounce after your 1st wash.
I hadn't heard that. Perhaps it will be okay but Cubanit's testimony really concerns me.

I'm scared I've done more damage with the flat iron, I really hope not. But 12 hours into it and my hair does feel a bit different, I don't know why. I don't feel that initial "tackiness" anymore.

I'm sorry guys I'm at work and can't put up pics just yet.

I heard the QOD Gold was really concentrated and that you have to use 30% less than the other brands. I went over my hair about 5 times max per piece. I could tell when it was done because it did get really soft and silky. It was tacky to begin with and then silky and light like nothing was on it when I was done. I kept looking in the mirror to check. I could see the shine right away. Everything happened as it was explained to me to the letter. I also followed the instructions to the letter (Except for the 10 passes of the flat iron) Some pieces only took 3 passes.

You are right, that hair got hot, it reminded me so much of hot combing. I had a heat mitt, Pinkskates said she had to use her finger pads.

I hope you hair is fine. If it was tacky perhaps you used too much product. I was very careful when I applied it to make sure all my strands were covered and that all the excess product was combed out.

I plan to condition using keratin and moisture and if I use heat, I will still use SMB.

I heard the QOD Gold was really concentrated and that you have to use 30% less than the other brands. I went over my hair about 5 times max per piece. I could tell when it was done because it did get really soft and silky. It was tacky to begin with and then silky and light like nothing was on it when I was done. I kept looking in the mirror to check. I could see the shine right away. Everything happened as it was explained to me to the letter. I also followed the instructions to the letter (Except for the 10 passes of the flat iron) Some pieces only took 3 passes.

You are right, that hair got hot, it reminded me so much of hot combing. I had a heat mitt, Pinkskates said she had to use her finger pads.

I hope you hair is fine. IF IT WAS TACKY PERHAPS YOU USED TOO MUCH PRODUCT. I was very careful when I applied it to make sure all my strands were covered and that all the excess product was combed out.

I plan to condition using keratin and moisture and if I use heat, I will still use SMB.

AtantaJJ, you're right about using too much product.
The 1st time I did a treatment my hair was sorta tacky too. I know now that I used too much because the 2nd treatment came out much better, and I used 1/2 the amount I used on the 1st treatment.

I purchased the same Babyliss flat iron from Marshalls and I didn't like it. I used that iron and my maxiglide for my BKT. The Maxiglide did leave my hair softer.

AtantaJJ, you're right about using too much product.
The 1st time I did a treatment my hair was sorta tacky too. I know now that I used too much because the 2nd treatment came out much better, and I used 1/2 the amount I used on the 1st treatment.

I had this point stressed several times, and I made sure that it was just right. :yep:

I purchased the same Babyliss flat iron from Marshalls and I didn't like it. I used that iron and my maxiglide for my BKT. The Maxiglide did leave my hair softer.

That's the other thing. I had several stylist tell me GET A GOOD IRON.

They said that time and time again. I left the iron in T-J Maxx and ordered the BabyBliss Pro Nano Titanium with the digital temp control. That thing was smooth as glass. It did not snag my hair or anything, I mean I never felt an iron like it before. Apparently it makes a huge difference.

I also used the Maxiglide and the Babyliss when I did mine. I used the Maxiglide for the roots and the Babybliss for the rest of the hair. The only thing I can say about the tackiness is that maybe you didn't go over the hair enough times? I think that the temperature fator has many scared that they are succombing to heat damage. But that is the only way to get the results BKT is known for. And that may also equate to why you hair was not shiny after your treatment. I'm sorry that you did not get the results that you were hoping for. I used 3oz on my hair the first time (BSB), but I know that I will only use 2oz. the next time.

I also used the Maxiglide and the Babyliss when I did mine. I used the Maxiglide for the roots and the Babybliss for the rest of the hair. The only thing I can say about the tackiness is that maybe you didn't go over the hair enough times? I think that the temperature fator has many scared that they are succombing to heat damage. But that is the only way to get the results BKT is known for. And that may also equate to why you hair was not shiny after your treatment. I'm sorry that you did not get the results that you were hoping for. I used 3oz on my hair the first time (BSB), but I know that I will only use 2oz. the next time.
I used between 1.25 and 1.5 ounce of the same brand you and I think that was too much actually. I know I can use less now that I've been through the process once.

Winter, I think we did the same thing, late start, late finish. I know what you mean about getting more shine from Moisture Block, I'm a big fan of that stuff too.

I think the defining moment will be when you shampoo again and can style your hair the way you usually do. I asked Victor about MB & BKT's & he said that MB works very well with BKT, and that he felt it helped protect the treatment.

Your pics are showing shiny hair! :yep:

My hair is seriously shiny even 7 days after my post-BKT wash. I've now received the maintenance products. I will post them to my thread later.

Your hair looks lovely my darling and will look even better after your first wash.

Looking back on my own experience and everyone else's including yours, I think for next time I will do the following

• comb out as much of the EXCESS as possible, before flat ironing
  • not get scared when the hair feels tacky and keep passing over the flat iron up to the maximum 10, until it feels silky
Don't be disheartened. I think everyone's hair reacts to it differently but your hair is super shiny in your pic and looks wonderful. :grin:

Winter, I think we did the same thing, late start, late finish. I know what you mean about getting more shine from Moisture Block, I'm a big fan of that stuff too.

I think the defining moment will be when you shampoo again and can style your hair the way you usually do. I asked Victor about MB & BKT's & he said that MB works very well with BKT, and that he felt it helped protect the treatment.
I'm planning to use my SMB too with the BKT, it makes sense that it will help protect the hair and the treatment.

Okay, my girlfriend and co worker say they see a difference in the shine after just one day.

Perhaps that junk was still soaking in or something, curing, b/c now it feels like it did if it were a regular flat iron

I don't think I did damage after one treatment, only time will tell.

I'm happy now. I suck I promised pics, I'll try to do it later tonight or tomorrow...

Another thing, I was hooping this would really stop breakage. I can see splits and thought this coating and sealing system would kinda glue them back to gether....guess not :lol:

I hope this actually protects more than regular protien - that is the whole point for me. I can get my hair straight other ways. I need protection.

Your pics are showing shiny hair! :yep:

My hair is seriously shiny even 7 days after my post-BKT wash. I've now received the maintenance products. I will post them to my thread later.

Your hair looks lovely my darling and will look even better after your first wash.

Looking back on my own experience and everyone else's including yours, I think for next time I will do the following

• comb out as much of the EXCESS as possible, before flat ironing
  • not get scared when the hair feels tacky and keep passing over the flat iron up to the maximum 10, until it feels silky
Don't be disheartened. I think everyone's hair reacts to it differently but your hair is super shiny in your pic and looks wonderful. :grin:
Which pics are you looking at? If you are in my fotki, thanks for the compliment but those are sooo OLD, lol. But honestly the BKT hair doesn't look jarringly different.

Okay, my girlfriend and co worker say they see a difference in the shine after just one day.

Perhaps that junk was still soaking in or something, curing, b/c now it feels like it did if it were a regular flat iron

I don't think I did damage after one treatment, only time will tell.

I'm happy now. I suck I promised pics, I'll try to do it later tonight or tomorrow...

Another thing, I was hooping this would really stop breakage. I can see splits and thought this coating and sealing system would kinda glue them back to gether....guess not :lol:

I hope this actually protects more than regular protien - that is the whole point for me. I can get my hair straight other ways. I need protection.

My split ends shown rampant and the shine intensified as well. :yep:

I'm late with them Pink, sorry.

Thanks for asking though. I promise I'll do it tonight; I'll have a helper to take the shots.

Today is day #3.
Ok Winter....I'll be sitting at my laptop drooling over the man-perfection species in your siggy:lick: and patiently waiting for your BKT pics!

Okay ladies...I have changed my tune :yep:.

The first wash did it for me!!

Let me tell you, it was downright WEIRD to not have ANY waves in my hair while it was was. I shampooed first with that Loreal color protectant shampoo (no salts no sulfates) but I missed the smell/detangling properties of my Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo (so sodium chloride). So I shampooed again lightly with that. The BKT had been in about a week yesterday.

I conditioned with Keracare Humecto. My hair felt luxurious....my hair felt like the first wash after a relaxer and flat iron job.

I towel dried, applied a leave in (Lacio Lacio with mink oil) and then some Chi serum. I didn't use the Sabino this time because I wanted to see what would happen without it.

I started to comb out my hair BEFORE I put the leave ins, and let me tell you, the hair started to dry straight. I applied the leave ins and began to comb out in front of a fan....it was truly remarkable to sit and see the hair begin to dry straight and silky as if that comb were the flat iron. It aint' nachrul, I tells ya :lol:

To hurry it up I got my blow dryer, and blew it out in a haphazard fashion for about five minutes. The results, I wish I had a picture of. The hair was straight, silky, and had body. I just didnt' have turned under ends. It reminded me of unstyled weave hair in bag.

I got the flat iron out, and at 350 went and ironed the whole head, large chunks, in about 15 minutes, turning the ends. All the flat iron did was spin the hair even finer, if that makes sense. I would have had even more body if I had left it after the blow out. But now my hair is returned to "just after relaxer" results within 20 minutes.

My usual time for a wash, condition, detangle, blow dry and flat iron? About 2-2.5 hours.

This took me about 30-40 minutes. Most of that time was flat ironing which could be totally cut out.

I am very impressed with this treatment. My only complaint is the roots, while they are silky they waved back up, probably because I wasn't able to keep my head from sweating. This is something to think about later when i think of transitioning.

Here are some pics - they aren't very remarkable due to quality but I tried.

tryingtoshowmovement.jpg

sideviewz.jpg

scalpbkt.jpg

lenghtshot.jpg

closeupf.jpg

anothersideview.jpg

anotherbktpic.jpg

When I tried taking the pics with another camera there was too much flash shine. It is shinier than what you see, however.

Next time I wash I'm going to take pics to show you all how straight it was out of the shower.

Back