After over 5 years of natchal hair I texlaxed

turnergirl

After I got a quite a few pms about if I was texlaxed I figured I should start a thread. I honestly didn't think anyone would notice because I rarely post here and I don't know many people on this board. I spent most of my time posting on another board exclusively for naturals until after I started contemplating texlaxing a year or so ago.

Anyway, I did it and I like it. I will love it once I get my hair exactly where I want it to be. I was nervous my hair would get too straight if I went for the gusto. Now I know excatly what to do. So sometime in April I will touchup and correct. This thread is quite late, I texlaxed in the middle of January, because as I mentioned earlier I didn't think I needed to.

Here it is. Pics are attached and there are more in my album

Edited to Add...the attachments are not working so I will have to add pics later. I know:needpics: I'll be back.

Before
1-22-2008-122.jpg

After
PICT0826.jpg

This one gives a better view of the texture
PICT0828.jpg

Until I retouch and get my texture where I want it, I wear the back in a cornrow pinned down. Hopefully this will minimize those terrible knots I get.
PICT0827.jpg

Last edited:
Dang you have some pretty hair!!! The more and more I think about it, I'm starting to wish that I'd texlax when my hair was shorter. I love this curly look, it's so versatile. I think I may texlax from now on for a few years and once I get to a pretty good length start chopping the relaxed ends off. Your hair is beautiful :love:

You too Brockstar!

I know I feel so crazy because I thought they attached then I went back to look at them and realized they aren't there. I will attach put them in the thread when I get home.

Ok but I took a look in the Fotki...You're hair is GORGEOUS!!! Both natural and texlaxed...you'll see my face often as a visitor:grin: I'm digging through all of your super cute styles now...:flowers:

Dang you have some pretty hair!!! The more and more I think about it, I'm starting to wish that I'd texlax when my hair was shorter. I love this curly look, it's so versatile. I think I may texlax from now on for a few years and once I get to a pretty good length start chopping the relaxed ends off. Your hair is beautiful :love:

You too Brockstar!

Thank you. I love it. I am just trying to get it a little losser especially in the back but it is better than it was when it was natural.

BTW-I love your avatar.

Ok but I took a look in the Fotki...You're hair is GORGEOUS!!! Both natural and texlaxed...you'll see my face often as a visitor:grin: I'm digging through all of your super cute styles now...:flowers:

Your making me :blush:. Go for it on the styles. Please let me know if you need a how to.

:love::love:your hair is so pretty.

what was/is your hair type? What did you texlax with? Processing time, did you add oils to your hair or relaxer? Sorry for all the questions but I am considering to take away the frizz.

it looks great. I may have to look into texlaxing as opposed to going natural.

Thank you.

Natural is can certainly be done. I did it with little to no problems for almost 4 years. When I got married and moved in with my hubby I could not spend as much time on my hair. It just got terrible you knots and matting. So I texlaxed. I would give natural a try first. You can always texlax if it does not work out.

love your hair Turnergirl... looks just as good now as it did when you were natural :grin:

Thanks libra. I miss my shrinkage a whole lot but if I woke up to another patch of matted and knotted hair I would have shaved my head. I am impulsive enough to do it.

No one has to deal with your hair but you. No one has to like your hair but you. As long as you are happy forget what everyone else says. Im sure no one volunteered to come detangle your hair! I think it looks good!:yep:

:love::love:your hair is so pretty.

what was/is your hair type? What did you texlax with? Processing time, did you add oils to your hair or relaxer? Sorry for all the questions but I am considering to take away the frizz.

I couldn't tell you my hair type. From what I have gleaned from others when they type their hair I may be a 4a or 4b. I texlaxed with Elsta QP Lye mild. Because I was scared I went way over board. I added 4 tbsp of olive oil. I also coated my hair in protein conditioner especially the ends and applied the relaxer. I based my hair something serious and coated my edges with the base. (I did not want straight edges with all of this textured hair) I also coated my straight ends in the front sections with the base (those are straight from flat ironing). Then I started with the back and loaded the relaxer in and started smoothing. Then I did the two sides. I gathered and pulled all of that through my hands twice. Then for the very top front portion of my head, I applied the relaxer without smoothing at all.

The relaxer was on my hair for 14 minutes because I had all of that protein in my hair and the oil in the relaxer it could stay on for a while.

2 minutes to apply the back and sides
3 minutes of smoothing the back
1 minute to do the crown
1 minute of smoothing
3 minutes of smoothing the back and sidesagain.
2 minutes to apply the front

Then I rinse 2 minutes later.

The front only process for 4 minutes. That was all it needed. The front has never had much texture and when I was relaxed before was always over processed by hair stylists. I have three general regions that I strand tested and figured out exactly how much time each region needed. Then I planned the relaxer where the application times would allow the sections to get done.

The top front section is loose kinda wavy and never had lots of shrinkage.
The middle is wiry and frizzy. There is not really a curl pattern or a wave pattern there Medium shrinkage. The back and sides are mad curly with about 70% shrinkage.

WOW...your hair is gorgeous. I just looked in your fotki. I don't have time to look through it all but I'll be back :grin:

I couldn't tell you my hair type. From what I have gleaned from others when they type their hair I may be a 4a or 4b. I texlaxed with Elsta QP Lye mild. Because I was scared I went way over board. I added 4 tbsp of olive oil. I also coated my hair in protein conditioner especially the ends and applied the relaxer. I based my hair something serious and coated my edges with the base. (I did not want straight edges with all of this textured hair) I also coated my straight ends in the front sections with the base (those are straight from flat ironing). Then I started with the back and loaded the relaxer in and started smoothing. Then I did the two sides. I gathered and pulled all of that through my hands twice. Then for the very top front portion of my head, I applied the relaxer without smoothing at all.

The relaxer was on my hair for 14 minutes because I had all of that protein in my hair and the oil in the relaxer it could stay on for a while.

2 minutes to apply the back and sides
3 minutes of smoothing the back
1 minute to do the crown
1 minute of smoothing
3 minutes of smoothing the back and sidesagain.
2 minutes to apply the front

Then I rinse 2 minutes later.

The front only process for 4 minutes. That was all it needed. The front has never had much texture and when I was relaxed before was always over processed by hair stylists. I have three general regions that I strand tested and figured out exactly how much time each region needed. Then I planned the relaxer where the application times would allow the sections to get done.

The top front section is loose kinda wavy and never had lots of shrinkage.
The middle is wiry and frizzy. There is not really a curl pattern or a wave pattern there Medium shrinkage. The back and sides are mad curly with about 70% shrinkage.

Thanks for your response!

Hey Turnergirl! I love your hair. I am considering texturizing my hair. I'm tired of long, straight hair, so I'd like a more carefree style option. Thanks for sharing your process.

Hey Turnergirl! I love your hair. I am considering texturizing my hair. I'm tired of long, straight hair, so I'd like a more carefree style option. Thanks for sharing your process.

I bet your hair would be amazing all texturized. If you do please keep us in the loop.

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. I love it, great texture! You and your hair are GORGEOUS

I wish my hair came out like that when I texlaxed/texturized, mine is way to straight!!!

Back