After meeting my now sister-in-law, my brother washed his hands of our family

Ogoma

Q. In-laws: After meeting my now sister-in-law, my brother washed his hands of our family and his former friends. We used to be quite close and to the extent of my knowledge there wasn't a specific incident that led to his current behavior other than meeting his wife and adopting her lifestyle and family. While I acknowledge that his life is his choice, I'm struggling to deal with the impact his abandonment has had on my parents. For example, when my brother married he only invited a handful of his relatives and friends (we didn't even take up a whole table at the reception) to a 300-person ceremony and my immediate family appeared in exactly two of thousands of photos. My mother cried for weeks afterward and family friends constantly talk about staging an intervention. My brother and his wife never visit my parents and he only calls if my SIL is not around. Now they have a small child and my father refuses to acknowledge the child to keep from getting attached and my mother's heart is broken by not being able to have a relationship with her grandchild. The situation is only made worse by a plethora of pictures and comments online to the tune of "My mother is the best grammy ever!" and "(Baby) is so lucky to have such an amazing family!" in reference to my SIL's folks. I hate having all the holiday appearances and grandchildren needs fall on my shoulders, but more importantly, I hate seeing my parents hurt without knowing the reason why. What can I say or do to help the situation?

A: I'm going to take your word that this is not a case in which your brother is distancing himself from an abusive or overly controlling family, but that your sister-in-law is engaging in a systematic campaign of alienation of affection. These situations are both heart-breaking and baffling for the family left behind. For some reason, certain people are vulnerable to a cult-like romance in which the new partner dictates who is acceptable and who is not. We recognize more clearly when it's a husband who isolates his wife from her family and friends that he's dangerously controlling. From your description, your brother is being terribly manipulated by his wife. Unfortunately, your brother willingly signed up for this. Either his wife has him convinced that your family is toxic, or he realizes he will pay too big a price at home if he tries to see his family. That he does call when his wife is out indicates he has a glimmer of understanding that his situation is not normal. Your brother is an adult and presumably competent, so painful as it is your family might have to recognize there's not much you can do. Perhaps you, however, can act as a bridge. If you're in the same town, suggest lunch with your brother. Tell him how much you all miss him and say that now that you're both parents you want the cousins to get to know each other. Don't lay on a guilt trip, but see if there's an opening to get the kids together, which could lead to more contact generally. I think your father's position vis-a-vis the child is counterproductive. Your family does not want to give your sister-in-law evidence to build her case that you are all cold and unloving. So all of you should mark the baby's birthday with gifts and cards. You should occasionally call or email neutral good wishes, even if they are not returned. And all of you should stop looking at the social media announcements of your sister-in-law, which aren't so much a news feed as a daily twisting of a knife in a wound.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...e_my_brother_disowned_us_for_his_in_laws.html

The issue is not about relationship, it is about family. It doesn't belong in this forum and is more appropriate in the off-topic forum where it was posted.

This is really sad!!! I hate vindictive people like that! How can a person be fine with never seeing their family because of non sense given by the spouse. It the person who responded is correct. Her brother is probably being controlled by her sister in law. In my opinion, he'll eventually see the light and may divorce her, but by then his family and friends may be long gone.

A lot of men of all races do this especially if they marry out. It is like they've hit the jackpot and all of a sudden their families are beneath them. In almost all cases that I know, life has a way of teaching lessons. It is one thing if your family is cray cray but if they are not, someone always comes crawling back.

The regrets are even worse when you are old and lonely. If your spouse does this to you, they don't think very highly of you to begin with so don't be surprised if something happens and they bounce on to the next one. That is when you'll realize the true meaning of mother. A mother who truly loves you will take you back even 30 years later.

We have no idea why he doesn't want to be around his family. It could be any number of things or nothing at all. And who is to say it's the wife. It could totally be his decision.

My dad is going through this. He has cut off a lot of his old friends and family members since getting married. He spends almost every free weekend with his wife and her family. I ask him about it off and on since I still visit with the family members and friends and he always says nothing happened. There was no falling out. He says he doesn't have time to visit with everyone....which isn't true but that is his story. Some people think it's his wife but I've talked to her about it and it's really not her at all.

If it were my brother, I would confront him about it and ask him about his behaviour. But I have as close enough relationship with him where I could do that. I don't see why the persons in the OP couldn't have done that in the first place. If he continues to snuggle under his in-laws and alienate us after our discussion then so be it.

There are so many reasons that could explain his behavior....with that said...his family should always let him, his wife and his children know ....that they love them and that they are always welcome in their home and lives. He is an adult and he may live his life as he chooses.

Back