AFROVEDA - Lowered the Prices

I don't care if the prices go down to $1, I would never buy anything from her. She's a shady business women. Changing product ingredient information when she got busted using bases. Not only is this immoral, it's illegal. She lacks integrity, I'm not going to trust her with the health of my hair.

I actually like AfroVeda. The Curl Define works for me!!! The Totally Twisted Ginger and Almond butter separated but still performed. The cost did increase significantly but I was willing to repurchase my favorites with a good sale. I happy she decreased the prices of the butters, but this may be too late for some consumers. I purchased Miss Bhree during the Black Friday sale (I already had a 1/2 container of the 16 oz of Curl Define.

Everyone has their staples Curl Define just happens to be one of mine. So yes, I am happy!

ooooh weee, I knew that you all would be on this!! I got the email in my inbox as well. Hmm, all that I can say is that I'm not taking the bait......boo, hiss, and blah still..

I don't care if the prices go down to $1, I would never buy anything from her. She's a shady business women. Changing product ingredient information when she got busted using bases. Not only is this immoral, it's illegal. She lacks integrity, I'm not going to trust her with the health of my hair.

I've never used AfroVeda before, but how is it illegal to use bases? A base is just a batch of ingredients already pre-mixed, so that you don't have to buy all of the individual ingredients (water, emulsifier, preservative) and mix them yourself. Most people don't leave bases as is, they add a bunch of their own ingredients to it to make it special. So I'm just confused as to how this is illegal and immoral when the ingredients would still be the same had she bought each ingredient separately.

Even Stevie Wonder saw this coming LOL
She probably lost many customers and came to her senses. Did she take another trip to the motherland again (Cleveland, OH) to find the best Shea buttah in the world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never used AfroVeda before, but how is it illegal to use bases? A base is just a batch of ingredients already pre-mixed, so that you don't have to buy all of the individual ingredients (water, emulsifier, preservative) and mix them yourself. Most people don't leave bases as is, they add a bunch of their own ingredients to it to make it special. So I'm just confused as to how this is illegal and immoral when the ingredients would still be the same had she bought each ingredient separately.
I wouldn't say it's illegal, but it certainly is immoral. On her website I remember she had a story about her experience looking for the right products for her type of hair and was so distraught because the store products contained crappy ingredients and what not (I'm summarizing but that was the gist of it.lol). She also claimed to make EVERYTHING by hand and a whole lot of time and effort was put into making the products. Then it was found out that her ingredients were bases and that just contradicts everything she stood for.

All your products are from bases, but it takes you more than two weeks to ship out a product?

So many excuses and bull from her and it's just pathetic.

It's not illegal, but it is immoral. She said she was making her products from scratch and she constantly bragged about it. Then, when she got caught, rather than address the issue, she simply removed the ingredient lists from her site so people couldn't go to the site and google her lists, which is how you find out something is a base most of the time. Unfortunately, not everyone is a member of a hair forum, where this info usually comes to light.

Hmmmm, so she was faking the funk? So *that's* why the ingredient listing disappeared from her website? Ohhhhhhhhh, I always wondered that.

Well, how did she get caught? Like, were the assumed base's ingredient just like the hair butters? I guess I'm asking, was it really a base or was it just a coincidence? How much of the product came from the base? Was it just water + emulsifier as the base, but she added all of the butters, extracts, other oils, fragrance, etc?

I buy the individual raw ingredients in bulk (distilled water, vegetable emulsifying wax, EVOO, vegetable glycerin, fragrance oils) to hand-mix my own personal body lotions, and I'm sure if one were to google that ingredient listing, it'd be pretty common and there may be a pre-made base with those same common ingredients already online somewhere. So maybe it's just a coincidence with hers? I dunno, I guess I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Hmmmm, so she was faking the funk? So *that's* why the ingredient listing disappeared from her website? Ohhhhhhhhh, I always wondered that.

Well, how did she get caught? Like, were the assumed base's ingredient just like the hair butters? I guess I'm asking, was it really a base or was it just a coincidence? How much of the product came from the base? Was it just water + emulsifier as the base, but she added all of the butters, extracts, other oils, fragrance, etc?

I buy the individual raw ingredients in bulk (distilled water, vegetable emulsifying wax, EVOO, vegetable glycerin, fragrance oils) to hand-mix my own personal body lotions, and I'm sure if one were to google that ingredient listing, it'd be pretty common and there may be a pre-made base with those same common ingredients already online somewhere. So maybe it's just a coincidence with hers? I dunno, I guess I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.

We never found out if the butters were bases, but for SURE some conditioners...the best example was the Amala Raspberry DC she sells that was like $22 for 8oz...well...we googled the base and it's on Essential Wholesale...not only were the ingredients basically the same, she had up the same description like VERBATIM. She didn't even take the time to edit it and make it her own. I think she changed the description as well now...oh here it is (yes I did save it to my computer, I don't play with products) -

This is Mala's description of the conditioner:
The pH of our hair mask compacts the cuticle layer of the hair, which will result in shiny, bouncy hair that is not weighed down. The conditioning ingredients form a protective layer over the cortex where the cuticle cells have broken away, which creates a protective layer or coating over these rough edges. The protective coating created with our Ashlii Amala Hair Mask also seals in moisture and and reduces static electricity.

This is the EW description:
Truth be told there is no miracle cure to repair damaged hair. Hair is dead and cannot be repaired. But it can be coated and conditioned. The pH of our hair masque compacts the cuticle layer of the hair, which will result in shiny, bouncy hair that is not weighed down. The active ingredients in our hair masque leaves the hair feeling smooth, while leaving a "waxy" coating on the hair. The conditioning ingredients of this hair masque form a protective layer over the cortex where the cuticle cells have broken away, which creates a protective layer or coating over these rough edges. The protective coating created with conditioner also seals in moisture and reduces static electricity.

I'm sorry, I often give people the BOTD, but that just nailed it for me...

I'm not buying ish. It's still way too expensive for shoddy work. How I look buying something that went from $10 to $17 in less than a year?

I'm not buying anything from her or anyone else. This fiasco sent me on a search for DIY products. I found everything from kimmaytube's leave-in to a decent sulfur based growth aid. I am DIY all the way on products now.

We never found out if the butters were bases, but for SURE some conditioners...the best example was the Amala Raspberry DC she sells that was like $22 for 8oz...well...we googled the base and it's on Essential Wholesale...not only were the ingredients basically the same, she had up the same description like VERBATIM. She didn't even take the time to edit it and make it her own. I think she changed the description as well now...oh here it is (yes I did save it to my computer, I don't play with products) -

This is Mala's description of the conditioner:
The pH of our hair mask compacts the cuticle layer of the hair, which will result in shiny, bouncy hair that is not weighed down. The conditioning ingredients form a protective layer over the cortex where the cuticle cells have broken away, which creates a protective layer or coating over these rough edges. The protective coating created with our Ashlii Amala Hair Mask also seals in moisture and and reduces static electricity.

This is the EW description:
Truth be told there is no miracle cure to repair damaged hair. Hair is dead and cannot be repaired. But it can be coated and conditioned. The pH of our hair masque compacts the cuticle layer of the hair, which will result in shiny, bouncy hair that is not weighed down. The active ingredients in our hair masque leaves the hair feeling smooth, while leaving a "waxy" coating on the hair. The conditioning ingredients of this hair masque form a protective layer over the cortex where the cuticle cells have broken away, which creates a protective layer or coating over these rough edges. The protective coating created with conditioner also seals in moisture and reduces static electricity.

I'm sorry, I often give people the BOTD, but that just nailed it for me...

WOW. I just googled the AfroVeda bases issue and the CurlyNikki article popped up where Mala made a response about the price hike. Someone in the comments described the same thing you just did. smh, yeah Mala is wrong for this.

Anonymous said...
reposting my comment form yesterday:
she does use bases. it seems to me that its more than a coincidence that the ingredients are in the same order (besides some oils she mixed in) AND THE DESCRIPTION are basically identical:

afroveda:The pH of our hair mask compacts the cuticle layer of the hair, which will result in shiny, bouncy hair that is not weighed down. The conditioning ingredients form a protective layer over the cortex where the cuticle cells have broken away, which creates a protective layer or coating over these rough edges. The protective coating created with our Ashlii Amala Hair Mask also seals in moisture and and reduces static electricity.
ingredients:
Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Castor Seed Oil, Moringa Leaf Powder, Red Raspberry Oil, Buriti Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Panthenol Vitamin B5, WheatPRO Plus, Coconut Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Pomegranate Oil, Meadowfoam Oil an essential oil blend of Lime, Tangerine, Orange and Thyme, and love.

essentials wholesale hair masque:

ingredients:Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Limnanthes alba (Meadowfoam) Oil

im not buyin it

October 11, 2010 6:05 PM

^^^Yep, we found another one of her bases that listed "Dimethicone (from silica)" and she had it listed on her page only with the silica, because technically it wasn't "wrong" to list it as silica. I know that we try to support "one another," but naw...I can't with all that.

nuthin about what, the lady on the clip? what's the problem with her?

loves her channel......she's super laid-back, cooler than a mug

Last edited:
nuthin about what, the lady on the clip? what's the problem with her?

loves her channel......she's super laid-back, cooler than a mug

Naw not her personality...I just don't see why people were getting all upset about the prices alone...that's all. But that's fine...

WOW. I just googled the AfroVeda bases issue and the CurlyNikki article popped up where Mala made a response about the price hike. Someone in the comments described the same thing you just did. smh, yeah Mala is wrong for this.

Anonymous said...
reposting my comment form yesterday:
she does use bases. it seems to me that its more than a coincidence that the ingredients are in the same order (besides some oils she mixed in) AND THE DESCRIPTION are basically identical:

afroveda:The pH of our hair mask compacts the cuticle layer of the hair, which will result in shiny, bouncy hair that is not weighed down. The conditioning ingredients form a protective layer over the cortex where the cuticle cells have broken away, which creates a protective layer or coating over these rough edges. The protective coating created with our Ashlii Amala Hair Mask also seals in moisture and and reduces static electricity.
ingredients:
Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Castor Seed Oil, Moringa Leaf Powder, Red Raspberry Oil, Buriti Seed Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Panthenol Vitamin B5, WheatPRO Plus, Coconut Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Pomegranate Oil, Meadowfoam Oil an essential oil blend of Lime, Tangerine, Orange and Thyme, and love.

essentials wholesale hair masque:

ingredients:Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Limnanthes alba (Meadowfoam) Oil

im not buyin it

October 11, 2010 6:05 PM

that was me :grin::grin:

Naw not her personality...I just don't see why people were getting all upset about the prices alone...that's all. But that's fine...
girl i dont get it either. everyone is mad about the prices. screw the prices. thats the least of your worries. when you purchase a product that is constantly inconsistent you should be more worried about whats in the jars.
IMO everyone is focusing on the wrong issue but thats just me.

girl i dont get it either. everyone is mad about the prices. screw the prices. thats the least of your worries. when you purchase a product that is constantly inconsistent you should be more worried about whats in the jars.
IMO everyone is focusing on the wrong issue but thats just me.

Yea I feel like when we were talking about it on the "other forum" :lachen: people were missing the point and were trying to scold us and were like "she can charge what she wants" blah blah blah...and I was like uhhhh did you miss the part about the terrible customer service and her lying? But okay boo, do you...

Yea I feel like when we were talking about it on the "other forum" :lachen: people were missing the point and were trying to scold us and were like "she can charge what she wants" blah blah blah...and I was like uhhhh did you miss the part about the terrible customer service and her lying? But okay boo, do you...
girl its like the twilight zone. its like "did you read anything else besides the fact that the price changed"? really??? i mean when i get a product and its creamy, 2 weeks later i shouldnt get another jar in the mail thats a hard butter. and then a week after that watch a youtube video of an oily lotion like cream. i shouldnt have lumps and random oil pockets. i shouldnt have to keep it next to the leftovers. i shouldnt have to stir it everytime i wanna use it. AND I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WAIT 3 WEEKS FOR IT. and you worried about the price???

let me leave this thread.

girl its like the twilight zone. its like "did you read anything else besides the fact that the price changed"? really??? i mean when i get a product and its creamy, 2 weeks later i shouldnt get another jar in the mail thats a hard butter. and then a week after that watch a youtube video of an oily lotion like cream. i shouldnt have lumps and random oil pockets. i shouldnt have to keep it next to the leftovers. i shouldnt have to stir it everytime i wanna use it. AND I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WAIT 3 WEEKS FOR IT. and you worried about the price???

:sneakyhug: LMAAAAAOOOO seeeeeee I told you that's why I gotta go SIT DOWN somewhere. I'm glad I'm not the only one because I really thought I was in The Outer Limits...

Her customer service is the worse which was what really convinced me I was never buying from her again. Why do I have to file a formal complaint with Paypal in order for you to fix your mistake? Do you think I emailed several times for fun?

:sneakyhug: LMAAAAAOOOO seeeeeee I told you that's why I gotta go SIT DOWN somewhere. I'm glad I'm not the only one because I really thought I was in The Outer Limits...

Your not alone....I'm talking about the product..The first time I order my butter was fine & hair oils/2nd purchases the same butter went bad in a month... & the tex was different...So no more buying from her for me...

Happy Hair Growing!

Preach!

Afroveda tried to pull one over on people with all that mess and its all bull. She ain't got me fooled. I wouldn't buy that stuff even if it was $5 for 16oz. She needs to take a business course and an ethics course.

Back