Afro textured hair...GHETTO?

Because of her reference to the 70s I wonder if her impression of African-Americans is based upon old movies? Remember the movies of the 70s where she would have seen a lot of Blacks: Shaft, Coffy, Superfly.... that could be the basis of her "ghetto" comments.

My mind is just wandering and trying to find a basis for this....

She reminds me of what ignorance through stereotypical judgements can bring.

Truly misinformed.

Another one bites the dust.

I'm not offended because I understand the intent behind the comments. I'm not gonna get my feathers ruffled over a language barrier and outdated slang. :lachen: It's not that serious. Even if she does truly think it's ghetto (which is her OPINION), she's the one breaking her neck to look like a "hoodrat" so whatevs...

THIS. There no reason to get in a tizzy over something that's 5 years old either (the year she stated is 2004). XD

If it makes you feel better:
2cyftb4.jpg

nyaakz.jpg

(Papaya Suzuki: KING OF AFROS IN JAPAN)

JAPAN ALWAYS GETS IT RIGHT

Last edited:
I can't even bother to get offended. :look: Judging by the typing, these girls are like 14? Shouldn't they be in school instead of on the internetxz? :rolleyes:

THIS. There no reason to get in a tizzy over something that's 5 years old either (the year she stated is 2004). XD

2cyftb4.jpg

The one with the red hair looks really cute!

Japan gets what right? Everywhere gets something right. In THAT pic, I see epic fails. What makes me feel better? Pics of other Japanese girls perpetrating a do that is considered ghetto to some of them?

I have nothing against there culture per say...Confucianism, Buddhism, ying and yang, karate, way of "flowy" living....I dig that UPLIFTING stuff. Team computers & electronics!

I am addressing a 6 year old article that is still quite valid and quite offensive to a hair do that was/is contributed to power and unity. (black panther, black pride etc.)

Besides, some of these people dress to act out and not conform to society. This is their rude boy/girl image. But when they (Hopefully) grow up, it would have been considered a phase.

I do not consider a afro a phase or rebellious hair do. Or ghetto for that matter.

Last edited:
if this makes yall mad then well yall odviously never herd of ganguros they tan the piss out of themselves just so they can appear black
1Buriteri7.jpg

ganguro21.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs25/f/2008/166
/d/f/Ganguro_Fashion_Collage_by_chibii_kiwi_cone.jpg

ganguro.jpg

ganguro01_b.jpg

1173751412200252_file.jpg

gonguro.jpg

9.jpg

ganguro5.jpg

Last edited:
i don't think the 'after' even looks like an afro. she just manipulated her hair into looking frizzy and damaged. i like the before look though.

My mom use to comb my hair into this style when I was a little kid. Other kids said it looked like brains. :yep: I'm 40 now. Some things never change.

I think that some ladies need to stop internalising very single negative stereotype that are out there the fact remains it is on her blog and if she feels that is how to get an afro that's her business I mean we've all been on this site long enough to know that she will never be representation of afro textured hair. We live in a big world where people will have theor opinions and it is not our job to graduate them in black studies now really there are plenty open minded of all races as they are plenty close minded of all races. Take it with a grain of salt I say.

I am more worried about Black people thinking thay way than I do of an asian, white person, indian etc...

if this makes yall mad then well yall odviously never herd of ganguros they tan the piss out of themselves just so they can appear black
1Buriteri7.jpg

ganguro21.jpg

ganguro.jpg

AHAHAHAHA!! Thank you for bringing back memories from 2000-2005. <3 Ganguros weren't THAT bad... it was the Yamanbas that were seriously nuts!!

*sigh* I am not mad. lol I guess you intepret me as being upset, ruffled or throwing a tizzy by the way you read the post/thread.

I am having a discussion about a offensive article. I am not e-angry. :laugh:

I know about their culture OP. Anime, ganguros and the likes.

1Buriteri7.jpg

ganguro21.jpg

ganguro.jpg
And I'm still not offended...I'm laughing, but not offended :lachen:

***GROSS GENERALIZATION ALERT*** It doesn't come as a shock to me that in a country where everyone typically looks the same (small slanted eyes, straightish black hair, blah, blah, blah) there are groups of people who try their damnedest NOT to look like every other person on the street. They're quick to copy anything they like, anything that's shocking, anything that garners attention...and who can blame them? We all seek individuality on some level, and they are no different...it's just more extreme.

Last edited:

2cyftb4.jpg

nyaakz.jpg

Well, I know the fro's been around much longer than 5 years in Japan. People into Marley have been getting it for years so they can dred their hair. Now, the fro by itself is "big" there. And Black people are not new to Asia. They've known about us for quite a while. It's the negativity - that doesn't really have that much to do with White inteference. They have this idea on their own. It's the stupidity behind not only her comments, but behind the various people we all know individually who mirror them. Mine are quite personal...not just based upon some forum. I just hate the term "ghetto." It was used for Jews first anyway. Both ways, separation through hatred against a people. People ought to use their intellects when they utilize a term.

Well, I know the fro's been around much longer than 5 years in Japan. People into Marley have been getting it for years so they can dred their hair. Now, the fro by itself is "big" there. And Black people are not new to Asia. They've known about us for quite a while. It's the negativity - that doesn't really have that much to do with White inteference. They have this idea on their own. It's the stupidity behind not only her comments, but behind the various people we all know individually who mirror them. Mine are quite personal...not just based upon some forum. I just hate the term "ghetto." It was used for Jews first anyway. Both ways, separation through hatred against a people. People ought to use their intellects when they utilize a term.

. . . . I was referring to the date the journal entry was made when I said '5 years old', not the popularity of the hair style >:/ I'm a fan of a lot of 80's J-pop idols that had afros at one point lol

Some people just do not get it...I do not condone or internalize offensive behavior with a "grain of salt". I never have, never will.

You mock a culture, and feel proud about it?

Somethings are just plain disrespectful. No wonder black folks out here are bleaching their skin and find it hard to be taken seriously.

They are chinese and don't know what ghetto really is. Don't hate.
:lachen: You know what? I bet if you emailed that girl and asked her what ghetto means, you'd get copy and paste job from urbandictionary.com 10 bucks says she doesn't know, and is using it incorrectly...I know my mom does this almost every damn day :lachen:

Some people just do not get it...I do not condone or internalize offensive behavior with a "grain of salt". I never have, never will.

You mock a culture, and feel proud about it?

Somethings are just plain disrespectful. No wonder black folks out here are bleaching their skin and find it hard to be taken seriously.
I can't speak on behalf of ole girl, but I can say that I personally have never mocked someone's anything, copied it in an attempt to be just like them, then made a tutorial so others can replicate it too. That's not even logical.

***GROSS GENERALIZATION ALERT*** It doesn't come as a shock to me that in a country where everyone typically looks the same (small slanted eyes, straightish black hair, blah, blah, blah) there are groups of people who try their damnedest NOT to look like every other person on the street. They're quick to copy anything they like, anything that's shocking, anything that garners attention...and who can blame them? We all seek individuality on some level, and they are no different...it's just more extreme.

You are pretty much correct. Society expects the youth of Japan (and some other asian countries) to conform to "the norm": Same basic look, not acting outlandishly, attend & graduate a top university, land a job at a successful company or open your own business,... the list goes on. A lot of younger people in Japan strive for individuality with looks/trends that they like.

They really are no different from us, it's just the idea of being "different from the norm" is looked down upon there.

Interesting.

Reminds me of a poster whose dad said that wearing her Afro/natural style made her look like she was on welfare.

People thought that was funny though. I guess it's only funny when a black person says it.

It shouldn't even be funny if a black person said it. Why does wearing your hair natural cause so much negative back lash?

It shouldn't even be funny if a black person said it. Why does wearing your hair natural cause so much negative back lash?
It's been my experience that no matter how I choose to style my hair, I will inevitably fall in to 1 of 2 categories. When I was relaxed, I was self hating. Now that I'm natural, I'm trying to make a political statement. I know that some Black women have serious, deep seeded issues with their hair, and I'm not trying to downplay that...but sometimes a hairstyle is just a :censored: hairstyle goddamn it...and I for one, am tired of being reduced to my hairstyling choices.

Last edited:
I can't speak on behalf of ole girl, but I can say that I personally have never mocked someone's anything, copied it in an attempt to be just like them, then made a tutorial so others can replicate it too. That's not even logical.

This. I mean, if she wanted to do a tutorial on replicating afro-textured hair, fine. But the unnecessary part was the prejudice stereotypes included. Cultural appropriation at its best.

And I have to co-sign with Lynnie B. It doesn't look good at all, and I have seen Asian girls rocking some mean afros.

Last edited:
Back