Afro textured hair...GHETTO?

Bosslady1

Taken from a chinese blog:

HOW TO MAKE A AFRO

by c0nniEeEe hsaio
Ok.. The 'afro' used to be really popular back in the 70s.. especially among African Americans.. well, now that we are in the year 2004, for some reason, everyone is trying to act black these days.. but, they are accomplishing this ghettofabulous style by wearing durags and those stupid Von Dutch hats..
bitter.gif
well, i say, why don't we bring back the afro? that is TRUE ghetto right thurrr.. any real black-wannabe should rock the afro..
pleased.gif
but, since it is somewhat difficult to do, i've decided to make it easy for all you people who think y'all plaYaz who be rocking that bling bling
cool.gif
yes, that's right!! c0nniEeEe has created a 'how-to' on the afro!
shocked.gif

just follow these instructions:
1. first, you put your hair up in two piggie tails, separate a bunch of strands, twist the strands, and bobby pin them.. like this:
wtf.gif
confused.gif
clueless.gif

hair01.jpg

2. then, you leave the hair in for at least 3 hours.. then, you remove the bobby pins.. so your hair would look like this:
afro18.jpg

3. next, you would start to unravel the twists.. after unraveling two twists, your hair would look like this:
afro16.jpg

4. after unraveling all the twisties on one side, your hair would look like this:
afro14.jpg

5. after unraveling all your hair, it will look like this:
afro040.jpg

afro070.jpg

HoLLaAaAa!! You'ze a TRUE gangsta now!!
afro050.jpg

oh yeah.. i can't forget
smiley5.gif

afro11.jpg

oh and just a warning.. Do Not Try This By Yourself.. Your Hair Will Attack You.. Only Pros Like Me Can Do It Solo..
smiley4.gif

look: liliana is gangster just like me!!
lili01.jpg

lili02.jpg

haha.. be cool like me and liliana!! hoLLaAaAa!!
cool.gif

source: http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=oobebeaznoo&;tab=weblogs&uid=100304517

My thoughts:

Alot of races always seem to down play black culture. Yet want to be like us soooo bad.:perplexed She needs to come again.:nono:

Last edited:
what does TLLS mean??? :look:

p.s. lets not take this personal ladies, they are just being silly - i dont think she meant any harm by any of it.....after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :yep:

It's nothing against you girl, no personal attack at all.

This Looks Like doodie (don't wanna get in no trouble :grin:).

I know it should be a form of flattery but I feel as if some races just get close to us "friendship" wise only because they are nosey and want to "know". They still hold thoughts (like above) in the back of their mind while they are grinning infront of your face.

They want to appear better or more virtous than their peers but deep down inside, they are still discriminating.

It's nothing against you girl, no personal attack at all.

This Looks Like doodie (don't wanna get in no trouble :grin:).

I was going to get mad, then saw LynnieB's hair and :love2:

You can tell she's just being a goof ball. I wouldn't take it seriously.
Especially since there are people of color in real life that would probably say afro=ghetto as well. I heart my afro!

I don't think it's flattering, because she isn't going to go to work or church like that. She isn't going to wear it in her graduation pictures. She's wearing it to be subversive. When we wear their hair, we wear it to look normal, and we wear it everywhere because we think it looks better than our own hair.

Oh no, I wanna "ghetto" up Beijing style and chink my eyes. Now, THAAAT's "ghetto." Afros were popular esp. among Blacks in the 70's? What she think, we used perm to get it?:nono: So, if you are a rich AA professional but have kink, you are "ghetto." If you are a doctor in Nairobi but have natural kink, you are still "ghetto." Meaning, baby-momma drama, welfare, poor, unhealthy, uneducated and uncultured morons? What about the professionals who live in the hood because they want to...new car every 3 years, old family and neighbors still in you life because you want to, old church still in your life because you want to....but they are ghetto? Define "ghetto.":ohwell:

I guess she's ghetto too...but she's a Yemenite from Israel and educated, rich as goat's milk...
:
:
:
:
\/

Last edited:
I don't care what
anyone say how can
"ghettoness"
be a form of flattery.
This female
needs
to open up a
a damn book.
*Might I add
that ain't a fro...
its a blowout*

Last edited:
I don't think it's flattering, because she isn't going to go to work or church like that. She isn't going to wear it in her graduation pictures. She's wearing it to be subversive. When we wear their hair, we wear it to look normal, and we wear it everywhere because we think it looks better than our own hair.

ITA. Because this was meant to be a joke, and not meant to truly be worn, I'm offended. I don't find it flattering that they think it's "ghetto" and funny to try to imitate the afro with no intentions on wearing it, but to only mock and joke about a hairstyle that is so natural to so many.

Disclaimer:

Now, I have to come clean about using the word "chink" in remembering that fiasco of a thread in which I used the term "blackitude" to describe a certain attitude problem many of us have. I was then called "pidgeonfoot" and all sorts of bad taste jokes were made about "getting a reservation." Well, at least I'm Black....Indian. Now, having used the word "chink" to show my disgust...well, let's just say that being Black...INDIAN, 1/2 my peeps originated somewhere with the Mongols and /or Tuvan people, Asiatic peoples so I also believe I have the right to use the term without actually being racist against my own distant Asian relatives....and since I have a big-a@@ MOngolian stain on me bum that I passed down to all my children. Maybe somebody ought to give her a Dark 'n Lovely and some curlers or shea butter for twists so she can properly learn how to care for "ghetto" Afro hair. Hahaha,...so the Obama's are "ghetto" too.:perplexed

It seems like when disrespectful comments are passed off in a less offensive joking matter, it is ok?

Nah dudettes, it don't fly like that in my world. You either come correct or don't come at all.

I don't call hair styles professionally done with weaves ghetto. Everyone wears them.

Alot of naturally long haired people who see others with weaves assumes it is ghetto because it is imitating their length.

It is what it is and I am offended by her "ghetto" comments about afros.

It seems like when disrespectful comments are passed off in a less offensive joking matter, it is ok?

Nah dudettes, it don't fly like that in my world. You either come correct or don't come at all.

I don't call hair styles professionally done with weaves ghetto. Everyone wears them.

Alot of naturally long haired people who see others with weaves assumes it is ghetto because it is imitating their length.

It is what it is and I am offended but her "ghetto" comments about afros.

I'm with you on this.

I'm not offended at all. All things urban and hip hop are HUGE in Asia...their dancehall scene is ridiculous too. I don't think their intention was to mock anyone, it's all love. Ghetto is slang...they're trying to flex their urban muscle, that's all. :lachen:

Last edited:
Wow. I am surprised that a couple of ladies is this thread who ARE natural, are not offended by an Asian/Chinese/Japanese girl calling their hairstyle ghetto....all the while showing how to accomplish this "ghetto" black do.

impressive.

To each, his own.

since when did black=gangster, very ignorant, but maybe people her age might find it funny
I'm not sure, but how long has BET been on the air??? I'm gonna guess it's about the same amount of time. I don't think there are a ton of Black people in China, their perception of "us" will be based on what they see in the media.

Wow. I am surprised that a couple of ladies is this thread who ARE natural, are not offended by an Asian/Chinese/Japanese girl calling their hairstyle ghetto....all the while showing how to accomplish this "ghetto" black do.

impressive.

To each, his own.
I'm not offended because I understand the intent behind the comments. I'm not gonna get my feathers ruffled over a language barrier and outdated slang. :lachen: It's not that serious. Even if she does truly think it's ghetto (which is her OPINION), she's the one breaking her neck to look like a "hoodrat" so whatevs...I mean really, who disses a race/culture/hairtype intentionally, promptly admits to being a black wannabe (her words, not mine), then spends countless hours trying replicate said "ghetto" hairstyle?

Last edited:
Back