African Beauty Secrets???

I really enjoyed this thread! Keep the secrets coming! I'm going to try the Ghee b/c it sounds like it would be good to condition and detangle with. I'm interested in trying the rhassoul clay as well.

Rhassoul clay is VERY nice for facials (I've never used it in hair), so be sure to give it a try. It's quite diff from other clays I found. I'd use ghee as a pre poo if you've never tried it. You wanna see how heavy it'll be on your hair before you "commit".

OOOO OOOO I don't have a secret, but I just wanted to say I am NIGERIAN and I used to do the threaded hairstyles. I LOVED doing them because it stretched my hair WITHOUT straightening it and I was able to see my true length. I can't remember EXACTLY what my mom called 'em but I remember they were either "some gaps" OR "sun gaps". The kids at my school loved 'em too. I ESPECIALLY LOVED REMOVING THEM, because you pull the thread and it'll just rapidly unwrap itself, it was a beautiful sight.

Sonye93 Are you talking about the style that has gaps in it meaning the hair shows thru the threading at various points or something else? If you're talking about the style, it's called sungas! Can you remember if you ever were threadeds w/ plait in your hair or was the hair always loose?

OOOO OOOO I don't have a secret, but I just wanted to say I am NIGERIAN and I used to do the threaded hairstyles. I LOVED doing them because it stretched my hair WITHOUT straightening it and I was able to see my true length. I can't remember EXACTLY what my mom called 'em but I remember they were either "some gaps" OR "sun gaps". The kids at my school loved 'em too. I ESPECIALLY LOVED REMOVING THEM, because you pull the thread and it'll just rapidly unwrap itself, it was a beautiful sight.

Sonye93 Are you talking about the style that has gaps in it meaning the hair shows thru the threading at various points or something else? If you're talking about the style, it's called sungas! Can you remember if you ever were threadeds w/ plait in your hair or was the hair always loose?

OMG!!! You ladies are taking me way back even though I think it was really "some gaps" pronounced as "sungas". Nostalgia!

Jamaraa, I did get my hair both threaded loose and sometimes with plaits aka. calabar up to the last one-third, which was then threaded.

To add to the thread, my mom had healthy, thick APL hair while I was growing up. She is relaxed and the one thing I remember is that she'd do deep treatments with palm oil (red) and her mom (my grandma) would send us homemade black soap, with which she'd wash her hair. Now she's older and dyes her grays so her hair is not as thick as before and is at SL. I'm looking at getting her some henna and indigo.

For me, I alternated between getting my hair threaded or put in cornrows. I did this every two weeks and wore it to school as a young girl (Nigeria) and my hair did well.

I got my hair threaded today!

Thanks for the pic Maracuja. it looks lovely.

Just curious about what the thread is made of, where your Mom got it. How long can you leave them in? Sorry for all the questions, I'm about to go for a consult at a hair braiding shop in Harlem to get my nape threaded, and I want to know what questions I should ask them.

Just curious about what the thread is made of, where your Mom got it. How long can you leave them in? Sorry for all the questions, I'm about to go for a consult at a hair braiding shop in Harlem to get my nape threaded, and I want to know what questions I should ask them.

My mom used the kind used for sewing clothes. I'm gonna try to keep them for a month, hope it works out, my mom says it's possible.

Cool. Did you wash/dc/use leave ins-beforehand? I use shea butter as my leave-in, but I wasn't sure if that was ok with the thread. Can you wash as usual for the next month?

Last edited:
Cool. Did you wash/dc/use leave ins-beforehand? I use shea butter as my leave-in, but I wasn't sure if that was ok with the thread. Can you wash as usual for the next month?

I clarified and deep conditioned beforehand. I then blowdried my hair straight using CD black vanilla leave-in and macademia oil as a sealant. I don't think I'm gonna be able to wash my hair for a month though, I'm too chicken to try it.

Last edited:
I clarified and deep conditioned beforehand. I then blowdried my hair straight using CD black vanilla leave-in and macademia oil as a sealant. I don't think I'm gonna be able to wash my hair for a month though, I'm too chicken to try it.

Oh... I gotcha. That's what I was nervous about, too. Hopefully, just rinsing w/water wouldn't hurt.

I wish I could contribute but my mom is American and my Dad is African and a geek lol, so it's not much I'm going to get from him. So I'm just lurking...

To add to the thread, my mom had healthy, thick APL hair while I was growing up. She is relaxed and the one thing I remember is that she'd do deep treatments with palm oil (red) and her mom (my grandma) would send us homemade black soap, with which she'd wash her hair. Now she's older and dyes her grays so her hair is not as thick as before and is at SL. I'm looking at getting her some henna and indigo.

For me, I alternated between getting my hair threaded or put in cornrows. I did this every two weeks and wore it to school as a young girl (Nigeria) and my hair did well.

Yes, get her on hennidigo even if you have to do it yourself. I started doing it for my mother, who never dyed, but relaxes and her hair has really thickened back up as well as is grown out. She had some perm damage at the nape and since I've been henning her (about 1 year), it's grown back in very full. The color looks great too.

Yes, I've read that you should alternative the threading w/ the conrows if you plan to keep threading as a normal part of your routine.

Last edited:

One thng yu should ask is how do you keep them on at the bottom (they tie them someway) and what to do if they start to unravel. How long will you keep them in?

(You NYCers are so lucky to have all these cool hairdressers. Even threading you can get. I.AM.Jealous! :grin:)

I got my hair threaded today!

That is so cool Maracuja...lucky girl. congrats. it's very cute. I like the pattern. Nice to have a mama who knows how to do such things. ;) I've been wanting to do it myself so I'm gonna follow your experiences closely since you're the 1st person I have heard of having them.

OK now for the questions...she used regular sewing cotton thread, not the strechy stuff I've read about? Is your hair braided underneath? When she cut the thread off the spool, did she double or triple the thread or did she just use it single ply? Did she use say 2ft or more of thread and do it in one continous wrap or did she use several lengths of wrap on one section? How long did it take? How did she secure the ends? I know you're supposed to oil the hair before you put the thread on...macademia is a great choice.

When you get them taken out, tell us about removal so we don't accidently cut our hair off!

Last edited:
OMG!!! You ladies are taking me way back even though I think it was really "some gaps" pronounced as "sungas". Nostalgia!

Jamaraa, I did get my hair both threaded loose and sometimes with plaits aka. calabar up to the last one-third, which was then threaded.

LOL..I'm glad I could take you back. I have a book* w/ these styles, their names, and basic instructions, but I want more info. What's calabar? I'd like to do them on plaits, so was the process any different than w/ loose hair? If you can, please explain how this was done on plaits, it'll be much appreciated.

*"African Hairstyles: Styles of Yesterday and Today" by Esi Sagay

Yes, get her on hennidigo even if yu have to do it yourself. I started doing it for my mother, who never dyed, but relaxes and her hair has really thickened back up as well as is grown out. She had some perm damage at the nape and since I've been henning her (about 1 year), it's grown back in very full. The color looks great too.

Thanks, I plan to buy some and take back home at christmas, I'll do it for her a few times and then show her how to do it, so she continues when I leave.

Where do you buy your henna and indigo from and do you do the Henna first and then apply the indigo?

Thanks for your input!!!

All this talk about threading, hmm! Maybe I'll get my hair threaded for a bit this xmas.

LOL..I'm glad I could take you back. I have a book* w/ these styles, their names, and basic instructions, but I want more info. What's calabar? I'd like to do them on plaits, so was the process any different than w/ loose hair? If you can, please explain how this was done on plaits, it'll be much appreciated.

*"African Hairstyles: Styles of Yesterday and Today" by Esi Sagay

The base (i.e closest to the scalp) is threaded just a little, say two turns of thread to secure it in place and then the hair is plaited, like celie braids (but neater) or plaits for a braid-out (that's what calabar is) and then the remaining loose hair at the end (cos you don't plait the whole thing) is threaded.

If I'm reading your question correctly, you're asking if you can thread over plaits, right? I haven't heard of this being done. I haven't seen it either. If this isn't your question then ignore this.

Thanks, I plan to buy some and take back home at christmas, I'll do it for her a few times and then show her how to do it, so she continues when I leave.

Where do you buy your henna and indigo from and do you do the Henna first and then apply the indigo?

Thanks for your input!!!

All this talk about threading, hmm! Maybe I'll get my hair threaded for a bit this xmas.

Fair's fair...you do her henna and she does your thread! Good deal to me! :grin:

Personally I do a 2 step...henna 1st then indigo, but my hair is black and I don't want my greys bright red! For my mother I use a 1 step because her hair is much lighter than mine and she doesn't want it unnaturally dark. IOW, I regularly do both methods.

Since this will be a 1st time for hennidgo (gotta make sure you like it) I'd actually just get one of the kits from hennaforhair.com I have used Catherine's products and they're top quality. She puts together bundles for different hair colors. LOL...don't pay her any mind on how much you need cuz she recommends way too much powder per length and don't mix it w/ lemon juice. You can mix it up to a thinner consistenacy (w/ conditioner and water) and get more uses from your powder. It'll dye just as well! :grin: Start here and let me know how it goes.

For Black color: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/blackbundles/index.html
For African textured hair: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/african/index.html

I don't know how dark your mother might want to go or if she has greys, but you can easily adjust that by how much or little indigo you use.

Last edited:
The base (i.e closest to the scalp) is threaded just a little, say two turns of thread to secure it in place and then the hair is plaited, like celie braids (but neater) or plaits for a braid-out (that's what calabar is) and then the remaining loose hair at the end (cos you don't plait the whole thing) is threaded.

If I'm reading your question correctly, you're asking if you can thread over plaits, right? I haven't heard of this being done. I haven't seen it either. If this isn't your question then ignore this.

That was exactly my question. So you plait the hair down to X point and leave it loose then thread all the way the way down?

That is so cool Maracuja...lucky girl. congrats. it's very cute. I like the pattern. Nice to have a mama who knows how to do such things. ;) I've been wanting to do it myself so I'm gonna follow your experiences closely since you're the 1st person I have heard of having them.

OK now for the questions...she used regular sewing cotton thread, not the strechy stuff I've read about? Is your hair braided underneath? When she cut the thread off the spool, did she double or triple the thread or did she just use it single ply? Did she use say 2ft or more of thread and do it in one continous wrap or did she use several lengths of wrap on one section? How long did it take? How did she secure the ends? I know you're supposed to oil the hair before you put the thread on...macademia is a great choice.

When you get them taken out, tell us about removal so we don't accidently cut our hair off!

Thanks for the compliment jamaraa!

No my mom did not use any stretchy stuff on my hair. No my hair is not braided underneath, I don't even think that is possible. When she cut the thread off the spool, she doubled it. My mom was using about 1 to 2ft of thread on one section in one continuous wrap. It took my mom two hours to get it done. My mom secured the end by making a loop at the end.

As soon as I take them out, I'll tell all about it here.

Here are some pics of the back.

4000363453_79a84cf7dc.jpg

4001130296_a6c9a4e191.jpg

Oh those are nice. Do you plan leaving it mostly in updos or will you put it down from time to time?

Also you real hair looks well moisturized, in your siggy too, do you usually use the CD black vanilla leave in or do you have other moisturizers?

Last edited:
Back