African Beauty Secrets???

brandy said:
I'm actually trying this out right now - I'm using weave thread we'll see how it goes, somehow I think that wig will come in useful:p

Please whatever you do DO NOT use a weave thread for wrapping it ruined my hair when I did it! The weave thread is too coarse for it and would break your hair!!:(

:eek: Now I read this after feeling so pleased with myself- Scarcity21 will pm you.

angie10 said:
I remember doing those threaded hair styles on a few friends when I was younger. It's really weird, but your hair grows really fast doing that. It may have to do with the fact that is some form of protective styling. I agree with the ladies that mentioned something about people wearing their hair short, because they had to wear it that way till a certain point. My sister used to thread her hair back in the days, and it grew so fast. It was really thick for sure and about BSL when stretched.

I think a lot of the fast growth might be due to mostly diet. We eat a lot of stews, which has mostly tomatoes, onions, meat and so on. Lot's of soups like okra soup, vegetable soups and some soups with ingredients you don't find here easily:look: lot's and lot's of vegetables, and fish.

We eat lots of fruit like coconut, papaya, avocado, bananas and so many other African fruits you don't find here. I never really payed attention to the products, I moved here when I was younger. I will look into finding out more info's.

I really do believe that your hair grows from mostly what you put into your body, not really as much as to what you put on the outside. If vitamins works for you, just imagine if you were eating the actually food that those vitamins are suppose to supliment. When I was back home, I never ate processed food. I tried my first processed food when I came her, and I don't hardly eat like that anymore.

I have to admit good nutrition is very important but good hair care is equally important. I have many friends from both Nigeria and Ghana and I have to say that many eat as you say ( I like to eat that way too..give me a good bowl of fufu or rice and some groundnut stew and chicken or egusi soup and I am good to go!! :D ) but with exception to some of the African ladies here and one that I know personally, (please don't take offense because it is meant to be just an observation) I have seen very few who knew how to care for their hair. As I said there is one Ghanaian lady that I know well and she had very long, beautiful, healthy hair but she also took very good care of her hair with protective styling. Both are equally important.

My sister-in-law is from Sudan. She has a huge tub of brown mud under her sink that she uses to clean her skin and hair. She also has three bags of dried mud/herb flakes in the freezer. What is it, you might ask? She can't explain it to me. She has given me some to use. You add a little water to a small amount in a bowl; rub it all over your body and then rinse it off. You don't need lotion or anything after you dry off. She also mixes some with henna and puts it on her waist length hair for a treatment a couple of times a month. It has a rose/amber smell.

lejardinier said:
My sister-in-law is from Sudan. She has a huge tub of brown mud under her sink that she uses to clean her skin and hair. She also has three bags of dried mud/herb flakes in the freezer. What is it, you might ask? She can't explain it to me. She has given me some to use. You add a little water to a small amount in a bowl; rub it all over your body and then rinse it off. You don't need lotion or anything after you dry off. She also mixes some with henna and puts it on her waist length hair for a treatment a couple of times a month. It has a rose/amber smell.

Out of curiosity, I wanna know too

Can threading cut the hair strands? How tight is it safe to strand? I got the hair stranding thread yesterday (not weave thread!) bonjour

Can threading cut the hair strands? How tight is it safe to strand? I got the hair stranding thread yesterday (not weave thread!) bonjour

I wouldnt think it would cut the hair strands..cos u r grabbing a big enough section of hair..just think of a broom stick..by itself it breaks easily but when there is a bunch of them it cant be broken easily...sorry..I know corny but that was the only analogy that came to mind right now:lol:.....plus the thread is covering ur whole length of hair and is thicker than an individual hair strand...HTH

I wouldnt think it would cut the hair strands..cos u r grabbing a big enough section of hair..just think of a broom stick..by itself it breaks easily but when there is a bunch of them it cant be broken easily...sorry..I know corny but that was the only analogy that came to mind right now:lol:.....plus the thread is covering ur whole length of hair and is thicker than an individual hair strand...HTH

Thank You. I have found the right thread. I practiced on one section of hair and one day I will do more. This will be a test project. bonjour

Summa Bliss it appears you must know the secrets already your hair looks good in your siggy. Are you using Hemp on your Hair, if not what are you using?

Hi Cicilpayne- sorry it took ages to reply!

I don't use Hemp, although I would totally looove to out of curiosity!!! At one point I was taking Hemp Seed Oil capsules. I didn't notice amazzing growth, tho.

I use Castor oil for shine, Cantu Leave in Conditioning Creme for strength and Shea Butter mixed with Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil Creme to seal my ends.

Thanks for the compliment!;) You've also got georgeous hair!

Even though this would be the wrong forum, I'm really interested in things used on the skin. I see African and African-American women from different regions all the time with the most beautiful, smooth skin. im hoping its not all genetic.

Bumping for news of the "Red sticks". :yep:

I'm always on the look out for a good way to detox. :lick:

No kids yet...or plans for kids, though. :nono:

I need to get married first. :ohwell:

No...finish school first...then get married. :perplexed

I just made myself depressed. :lachen:

ANYWAY!

RED STICKS! Any news??

Hello All,
I love this forum and this thread. I've been a bit shy with posting. But, I always enjoy reading the forum. I have a few questions that I can't seem to locate an answer for. Hopefully, some of you ladies can help.

I've been searching the internet for more information on this "threading" technique and it's been hard for me to find any concrete info.
Are any of you using this technique/hairstyle? Do you have any pictures?

And, I live in southern California. Do you know of any locticians/ stylists,braiders that know how to do this in the greater Los Angeles area? Any African ladies?
I would really like to try this style.

Thanks for any info or input!
Bridget

Hello All,
I love this forum and this thread. I've been a bit shy with posting. But, I always enjoy reading the forum. I have a few questions that I can't seem to locate an answer for. Hopefully, some of you ladies can help.

I've been searching the internet for more information on this "threading" technique and it's been hard for me to find any concrete info.
Are any of you using this technique/hairstyle? Do you have any pictures?

And, I live in southern California. Do you know of any locticians/ stylists,braiders that know how to do this in the greater Los Angeles area? Any African ladies?
I would really like to try this style.

Thanks for any info or input!
Bridget

Hiya,

Im in the Uk but have threaded in the past allot, the thing with threading is this, the thread they use comes in a sort of plastic like material, and you must be careful that your hair is healthy as this method, can slice your hair strands- I noticed this allot when I did it 2 years ago. Im not sure f it would be different with silk thread though?

I love this thread, im going to print the whole thing out!

Bumping too!

Thanks for responding pureebony. Did you notice a difference in your hair growth?
I know that there must be someone on the forum who can help out with more info. But, I noticed that these posts get buried so quickly.:perplexed

My mother did it for me as a child all the time, and back then you could say yes it did grow my hair, but I think this happens because as you pull your hair and weave the thread around it sort of encourages your hair to grow, im not so sure how good it is on the actual hair strands though.

HTH

I think threading works so well because it's a super protective style - your hair is truly hid away, and so rentention is close to 100%.

I doubt, honestly, that you will find anyone in the States who does it professionally, as it's considered an 'old fashioned' style..... :ohwell:

See thats what I was thinking ...in my country Morocco thats what they use ghassoul...hennae, olive oil and bunch of herbs and oil ..I remember there was some herbs/small branches that my aunt would boil and make me drink that would make my lips reddish its pronounced FOUA. bunch of natural products they use. Im having family coming over from Morocco soon...see half of my family are moroccan arabs and the other half are moroccan berbers ...and berber(native people in morocco) actually have interesting hair care I find...tomorrow I will be visiting my berber cousin and will post the most used hair care n products.

I wonder if it was Rhassoul.... isn't that an African mud/clay?

I wish I could find the thread! For that matter I wish I could thread wrap my hair (my work doesn't allow). :nono: My ex's family were big shea butter and black soap users. Thats all I ever saw at the house. They used it on their hair, skin everything

Last edited:
*bump* Casarela, I'm curious too!!
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

Might this be it?

Baka Beauty's Sahara Clay is an Original, 100% natural, clay hair treatment and facial mask. This 15 minute treatment can add years of life to your hair. It is an excellent deep cleansing treatment for locks. Sahara Clay can be used to deep cleanse hair and skin. The all natural clay extracts impurities from hair and skin leaving a clean, smooth finish.

Sahara Clay is:
Hair deep cleanser (especially good for locks)
Skin cleanser-makes a wonderful facial mask

Sahara clay is great for locks because it deep cleanses like no shampoo can and leaves no residue. Use periodically to leave your locks squeaky clean. The clay will never unravel formed or mature locks. It is a deep cleanser which removes impurities from the hair and skin, deeper than soap or shampoo. It is not harmful to the hair and can remain on the hair with heated moisture (heating cap) for up to 1 hour. Without a heating cap it can remain on the hair until it the clay begins to harden state. Then rinse and condition. The Masai tribe in Eastern Africa use a red clay on their hair. This provides a gentle hair relaxer effect on the hair. Sahara Clay will have this same effect. Used after the Natural-Laxer, Sahara Clay is a finish to the process that further enhances the relaxing effect and smooths the hair. Sahara Clay can safely be used on straight (white) hair as well as on African American hair. It provides a deep cleansing and will make white, gray or blonde hair brighten. Sahara Clay will gradually relax the hair, to a certain extent.

As a facial mask, Sahara Clay will deep cleanse the skin, leaving a smoother appearance.

Safe for all hair types.

I found this at http://www.bakabeauty.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=108. It sounds similar.

Back