Act like a goddess..get treated like one!

This was written by a man,

I submit that a man’s “true colors” don’t manifest themselves over night. They are there, hiding, all along. However, your power of discernment becomes clouded by a noxious layer of lust/love/infatuation. Admittedly, there are some issues that, even after decades of marriage, Superwoman would not be able to detect, but in most women’s cases there are multiple red flags lining the road to perdition. You didn’t think he’d change, did you? Too many women marry men expecting them to change and they don’t; too many men marry women expecting them not to change and they do. (Take a second to let that digest.) Or maybe you ignored them because you were too enamored with the thought of finally being with someone that you neglected to consider whether you were with the right one.

The reason behind your man’s sudden “change” is relatively simple. Are you ready? Here it is. The number one reason your man has stopped doing the little sweet things he did to get you is the same reason your man is acting “brand new”, and it’s the same reason your man will continue to dog you out for years to come (Drum roll)….. It’s because you allow him to. Period.

On dates, when he should be showering you with attention, you allow him to answer his cell phone and hold ten-minute-long conversations with his “boy” (hmmm). You allow him to continue a friendship with an ex even though you know it gets a little “too friendly” at times. You allow him to interrogate you every time he hears that you were out with a male friend. You allow him to grow more dependent every time you reach into your purse to pay before giving him the chance to offer. You allow him to disrespect you when you let him drive your car without insisting that he fill up the tank and when you allow him to dart through a door ahead of you. And worst of all, you allow him to come crawling back after he has strayed outside of your “committed relationship” (does this relationship label even mean anything in 2007?). The humiliation of being cheated on should only happen once, not “time and time again” as Ater described in her piece.

Regrettably, you allow him to weasel his way out of answering the hard questions (if you even asked them) about painful memories and events from his childhood, his sexual history, his morals and values, and his faith in God. Despite the fact that he gives the shallowest, cliché answers to these inquiries, you still allow him free reign over two of God’s greatest gifts: your heart and your mind. (I won’t mention how you allow him to do whatever he pleases with your vagina. The rate at which women are serving up their bodies to strange men with no promises of fidelity could be the subject of another blog all by itself). I’ll stop here, but you get the point.

After lamenting the plight of black women for the first half of her piece, Ater hit the nail on the head with a much-needed message to black women. To the women who repeatedly find themselves in relationships with duplicitous dogs, she stated that “a person can only do to you what you allow them to.” In my words, YOU TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO TREAT YOU!” That’s worth repeating: YOU TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO TREAT YOU!

At the height of his career, the legendary Spanish painter Pablo Picasso made a famous remark about women that enraged feminists worldwide. Picasso asserted, “There are only two types of women in the world—goddesses and doormats.” Picasso was only partially right because his remark suggests that some women are born into a Doormat caste to dwell there in perpetuity. In my mind, all women (black, white, orange, purple) enter the world as goddesses since they were fearfully and wonderfully made at the wave of God’s infallible hand. However, it’s up to them to maintain their positions as royalty by demanding that the men who claim to love them treat them as such. Isn’t it about time you demanded more respect?

Lastly, understand that it’s not as simple as ordering men to grovel at your feet. You’ve got to be worthy of the type of man you desire. Be completely honest and ask yourself, “Am I the type of person my ideal man would want to be with?” If there’s very little about you that would attract a respectful, classy, thoughtful, grounded, educated brother, then it’s about time you make an about face.

Decide this day—this very second—how you will allow men to treat you. The choice is simple. The choice is yours. What will it be? Goddess or Doormat?

http://www.imperiousent.com/m...drew-st-2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I submit that a man’s “true colors” don’t manifest themselves over night. They are there, hiding, all along. However, your power of discernment becomes clouded by a noxious layer of lust/love/infatuation. Admittedly, there are some issues that, even after decades of marriage, Superwoman would not be able to detect, but in most women’s cases there are multiple red flags lining the road to perdition. You didn’t think he’d change, did you? Too many women marry men expecting them to change and they don’t; too many men marry women expecting them not to change and they do. (Take a second to let that digest.) Or maybe you ignored them because you were too enamored with the thought of finally being with someone that you neglected to consider whether you were with the right one.

The reason behind your man’s sudden “change” is relatively simple. Are you ready? Here it is. The number one reason your man has stopped doing the little sweet things he did to get you is the same reason your man is acting “brand new”, and it’s the same reason your man will continue to dog you out for years to come (Drum roll)….. It’s because you allow him to. Period.

On dates, when he should be showering you with attention, you allow him to answer his cell phone and hold ten-minute-long conversations with his “boy” (hmmm). You allow him to continue a friendship with an ex even though you know it gets a little “too friendly” at times. You allow him to interrogate you every time he hears that you were out with a male friend. You allow him to grow more dependent every time you reach into your purse to pay before giving him the chance to offer. You allow him to disrespect you when you let him drive your car without insisting that he fill up the tank and when you allow him to dart through a door ahead of you. And worst of all, you allow him to come crawling back after he has strayed outside of your “committed relationship” (does this relationship label even mean anything in 2007?). The humiliation of being cheated on should only happen once, not “time and time again” as Ater described in her piece.

Regrettably, you allow him to weasel his way out of answering the hard questions (if you even asked them) about painful memories and events from his childhood, his sexual history, his morals and values, and his faith in God. Despite the fact that he gives the shallowest, cliché answers to these inquiries, you still allow him free reign over two of God’s greatest gifts: your heart and your mind. (I won’t mention how you allow him to do whatever he pleases with your vagina. The rate at which women are serving up their bodies to strange men with no promises of fidelity could be the subject of another blog all by itself). I’ll stop here, but you get the point.

After lamenting the plight of black women for the first half of her piece, Ater hit the nail on the head with a much-needed message to black women. To the women who repeatedly find themselves in relationships with duplicitous dogs, she stated that “a person can only do to you what you allow them to.” In my words, YOU TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO TREAT YOU!” That’s worth repeating: YOU TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO TREAT YOU!

At the height of his career, the legendary Spanish painter Pablo Picasso made a famous remark about women that enraged feminists worldwide. Picasso asserted, “There are only two types of women in the world—goddesses and doormats.” Picasso was only partially right because his remark suggests that some women are born into a Doormat caste to dwell there in perpetuity. In my mind, all women (black, white, orange, purple) enter the world as goddesses since they were fearfully and wonderfully made at the wave of God’s infallible hand. However, it’s up to them to maintain their positions as royalty by demanding that the men who claim to love them treat them as such. Isn’t it about time you demanded more respect?

Lastly, understand that it’s not as simple as ordering men to grovel at your feet. You’ve got to be worthy of the type of man you desire. Be completely honest and ask yourself, “Am I the type of person my ideal man would want to be with?” If there’s very little about you that would attract a respectful, classy, thoughtful, grounded, educated brother, then it’s about time you make an about face.

Decide this day—this very second—how you will allow men to treat you. The choice is simple. The choice is yours. What will it be? Goddess or Doormat?

http://http://www.imperiousent.com/m...drew-st-2.html

I agree with much of what was said. I have said before that our men need to start raising princesses. I was Daddy's little princess which makes me DH's "diva".

:clapping::clapping::cheers::cheers::kisses:
Whoo, child. I’m subscribing to this thread! This is one of the most bout it posts I’ve read in a long time, and I totally agree with you and hennagirl! I too was raised to know my worth, and I won’t settle for less

This was written by a man,

http://http://www.imperiousent.com/m...drew-st-2.html

I agree with much of what was said. I have said before that our men need to start raising princesses. I was Daddy's little princess which makes me DH's "diva".

By the way IntelligenceisBeautiful, where did you find this thread (what website)? It looks like there are more articles like this and I’d like to read some. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing the article. That has always been my philosophy. My dad raised me to believe that I was his little princess ;and to never settle for anything less than my prince charming!:yep:

I have copied and sent this to a few female friends.....a few who will probably not talk to me for a while cos this one will sting 'em! :yep: Thamks for posting it!

:clapping::clapping::cheers::cheers::kisses:
Whoo, child. I’m subscribing to this thread! This is one of the most bout it posts I’ve read in a long time, and I totally agree with you and hennagirl! I too was raised to know my worth, and I won’t settle for less

ITA!!!! I am a queen and married my king, coincidentally enough, he's a Leo and he knows he's the ish!

As for these parts...
On dates, when he should be showering you with attention, you allow him to answer his cell phone and hold ten-minute-long conversations with his “boy” (hmmm).
Uhm, aw, hellz naw! Even when we were just friends, there was a girl flirting with him via text message - he was flirting back. I told him, "I know we're just friends, but I am a lady, and I expect your full attention. Be a playa on your own time." He tried to act like I was jealous until a male friend flirting with me texted my phone. I showed him the text and asked, "how would you feel if I responded to him while we're hanging out?"

He tells his friends to this day, THAT'S how he knew I was the one.

You allow him to continue a friendship with an ex even though you know it gets a little “too friendly” at times.
I didn't give him an ultimatum with this, but I did tell him that I wasn't going to witness him being punk'd by this triflin' excuse for a woman. He made the choice as to how I wasn't going to witness it. He knew that once I was gone, I was gone. I don't play the gone-but-keep-in-touch game.

You allow him to interrogate you every time he hears that you were out with a male friend.
I don't go out with male friends unless he's with me. I don't and won't disrespect my husband like that. All it takes is one inappropriate-looking snapshot from a cameraphone from someone and all kinds of chaos will ensue. Same goes for him.

As for interrogating me after I've been out with my grrlz, he did it once. I was like, "Awwwwww... :rolleyes: you're so adorable, playing the jealous boyfriend," pinched his cheek and walked away. He knows I'll share my adventures with him (the parts I want to, that is, but he don't know that) so he got over that. He didn't want to risk getting his man-feelings hurt if I talked down to him like a 15y/o boy again.

I guess my point is that I FULLY agree with what that man wrote. I demand respect, but I also give it, whether they expect it or not. I stuck it out, and got a wonderful hubby.

I once dated this guy who I could've been Mr. TBeBe. When his phone conversation hit the 3 minute mark with no signs of wrapping it up, I gathered my things and headed for the door. He got off the phone immediately and asked why I was leaving. I told him since he's otherwise occupied I'll find something else to do. He said, "Oh, I'm supposed to disrespect my boy because you're here. You ain't no damn queen." I told him I beg to differ and went on my way. He just wrote me a month ago to find out if I'm still happily married. I showed it to the hubby, and HE wrote him back, "yes she is, thanks for asking... Mr. TBeBe."

How did he raise you like a princess, if you don't mind my asking?

Such a GREAT article.
I'm going to save this on my computer, for sure.

TBebe, that last paragraph of your post was TOO cute:)

I don't feel like I was raised to be "Daddy's princess" or anything of that sort, and am just now getting valuable support and advice from my mother on such things. It's a late start, but I am thankful for it.

Yesterday, my internship coordinator said that I looked so comfortable in my own skin, and that made me smile all the way inside of me:lol:
I told her, it's taken me a long long time and a lot of doubt to start coming into my own and that it was so nice of her to say that.

TBeBe, I know I was raised well...but I'm going to take out a pen and pad, b/c I need to take some lessons from you! Thanks for sharing:)
ITA!!!! I am a queen and married my king, coincidentally enough, he's a Leo and he knows he's the ish!

As for these parts...
On dates, when he should be showering you with attention, you allow him to answer his cell phone and hold ten-minute-long conversations with his “boy” (hmmm).
Uhm, aw, hellz naw! Even when we were just friends, there was a girl flirting with him via text message - he was flirting back. I told him, "I know we're just friends, but I am a lady, and I expect your full attention. Be a playa on your own time." He tried to act like I was jealous until a male friend flirting with me texted my phone. I showed him the text and asked, "how would you feel if I responded to him while we're hanging out?"

He tells his friends to this day, THAT'S how he knew I was the one.

You allow him to continue a friendship with an ex even though you know it gets a little “too friendly” at times.
I didn't give him an ultimatum with this, but I did tell him that I wasn't going to witness him being punk'd by this triflin' excuse for a woman. He made the choice as to how I wasn't going to witness it. He knew that once I was gone, I was gone. I don't play the gone-but-keep-in-touch game.

You allow him to interrogate you every time he hears that you were out with a male friend.
I don't go out with male friends unless he's with me. I don't and won't disrespect my husband like that. All it takes is one inappropriate-looking snapshot from a cameraphone from someone and all kinds of chaos will ensue. Same goes for him.

As for interrogating me after I've been out with my grrlz, he did it once. I was like, "Awwwwww... :rolleyes: you're so adorable, playing the jealous boyfriend," pinched his cheek and walked away. He knows I'll share my adventures with him (the parts I want to, that is, but he don't know that) so he got over that. He didn't want to risk getting his man-feelings hurt if I talked down to him like a 15y/o boy again.

I guess my point is that I FULLY agree with what that man wrote. I demand respect, but I also give it, whether they expect it or not. I stuck it out, and got a wonderful hubby.

I once dated this guy who I could've been Mr. TBeBe. When his phone conversation hit the 3 minute mark with no signs of wrapping it up, I gathered my things and headed for the door. He got off the phone immediately and asked why I was leaving. I told him since he's otherwise occupied I'll find something else to do. He said, "Oh, I'm supposed to disrespect my boy because you're here. You ain't no damn queen." I told him I beg to differ and went on my way. He just wrote me a month ago to find out if I'm still happily married. I showed it to the hubby, and HE wrote him back, "yes she is, thanks for asking... Mr. TBeBe."

Fantastic!! Now, Ladies..and I do mean LADIES!!!! Let's not let it lie...deal with it, be it, do it..you have nothing to lose but Mr. Waste O' Your Time.
Thanks a lot, great article.

I totally agree with this:) In fact, this needs to be a sticky. It's just as essential as "That Girl" Thread IMO!

How did he raise you like a princess, if you don't mind my asking?

He showed me how to believe in myself and my abilities. He made me believe that I was special and beautiful inside and out and smart and that I could rely on myself and my family and that no one could devalue me but myself. When I was 5'10" and change at 13 weighing about 90 pounds with no chest, braces, reddish hair and big bug green/blue eyes and bad skin he made me feel beautiful. He called me his princess. In fact, he still calls my sister and I his princesses. When he calls our home, he tells DH that he wants to speak to OUR princess. DH says he will always be on probation with my father. Daddy agrees that he has is "eye on the boy" because I am his "baby girl." He made me see that I did not need to run after boys or try to run with a fast group of girls. My father gave me material things but they were really of no consequence. Self-reliance, self-confidence and self-esteem were his greatest gifts to me as a child. Money has nothing to do with what I am talking about, any father can give his daughter this gift.

He showed me how to believe in myself and my abilities. He made me believe that I was special and beautiful inside and out and smart and that I could rely on myself and my family and that no one could devalue me but myself. When I was 5'10" and change at 13 weighing about 90 pounds with no chest, braces, reddish hair and big bug green/blue eyes and bad skin he made me feel beautiful. He called me his princess. In fact, he still calls my sister and I his princesses. When he calls our home, he tells DH that he wants to speak to OUR princess. DH says he will always be on probation with my father. Daddy agrees that he has is "eye on the boy" because I am his "baby girl." He made me see that I did not need to run after boys or try to run with a fast group of girls. My father gave me material things but they were really of no consequence. Self-reliance, self-confidence and self-esteem were his greatest gifts to me as a child. Money has nothing to do with what I am talking about, any father can give his daughter this gift.

:yay::clapping::clapping::clap:Yay for dads! Mine was like this too. But even if you did not have a father, or if your dad did not help your self-esteem, don't believe you can't be treated the way the article says. I believe that even a good father alone won't assure happiness. You have to just believe you are worth it!:)

Truer words have never been spoken.

LOL! I loved this part. As a matter of fact, throughout your entire post, I found a lot of similarities in the way you 'handled your business' and the way I would've handled it if it were me and lately I was beginning to think I was becoming 'old fashioned'. It's good to know I'm not the only one who demands the 'royal treatment'.

I have copied and sent this to a few female friends.....a few who will probably not talk to me for a while cos this one will sting 'em! :yep: Thamks for posting it!

All I can do is applaud! :clap: :waytogo:

Last edited:
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT MAN SAID! :yep:

These are things I think about ALL THE TIME! It's nice to see a man who has actually expressed my exact thoughts about women in relationships with men.

LOL! I loved this part. As a matter of fact, throughout your entire post, I found a lot of similarities in the way you 'handled your business' and the way I would've handled it if it were me and lately I was beginning to think I was becoming 'old fashioned'. It's good to know I'm not the only one who demands the 'royal treatment'.

My parents have been married 30 years this month (he's my stepdad technically, emotionally, he's my dad), and he's very gentlemanly. My brother's the same way and so is my husband. Doors are opened, packages are carried, he is polite, says "please," "thank you," "excuse me," etc. Even my male friends & hubby's friends treat me as such.

If men & women went back to the OLD ways of honoring one another, much of this drama wouldn't even exist. I've found most people in stable relationships have old-fashioned values.

The way I see couples treating one another helped me see how blessed I am with my family. I've also realized that how a woman allows a man to treat her relates to how her children treat her. The child sees that mommy doesn't allow any foolishness from daddy, so he/she thinks twice about showing their behinds. But, I digress.

Back