A personal challenge... (pics) (long)

lovelymissyoli

It was my plan to have posted a personal challenge I wanted to create for myself…the “All the growth I can get” challenge. Recently, I’ve decided that it’s time for me to get serious about my growth and go back to what has gotten me a serious amount of it…braids!!! I had hoped to get my hair cornrowed (with synthetic hair) and keep them in until February and then place them in again for the following months until the end of summer. Sadly, my plan has hit a speed bump midcourse… /images/graemlins/frown.gif

On Thursday I had my braider come over to do my hair. While in the process of braiding I noticed that my head was aching in pain. I went to the mirror and looked at the cornrows she was doing and all I can say is my hair can’t take cornrows anymore like it used to. These cornrows, although they didn’t feel tight, were literally pulling at my hair. In all the years of her braiding my hair this has never happened before. As I was standing in front of my bathroom mirror I could just see my hair being pulled from my scalp looking like it was hanging on with all it’s might. Needless to say we took those things down!!:) I was a little discouraged because I didn’t know what to do with my hair. Since this recent hair cut I have not been able to pull my hair into a decent ponytail or wear it down like I want to. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I even went as far as attending all my classes with a beanie on my head because I didn’t know what to do with it.

Anyways, later on today I thought to myself… “I can still do this challenge without synthetic hair…I’ll just use my real hair!” Well, I got my real hair cornrowed today (my whole head) and I plan to place myself back on this challenge, but I don’t really expect to get as much growth as I thought I would (I know I sound kind of defeatist /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif). Anyways, to help me along the way I have picked up some Surge and pure glycerin and I’m also going to use an oil concoction that I use daily on my hair. My regimen will change a little to cut out deep conditions and cut down on washing my hair since I won’t be wearing synthetic hair.

During this challenge I plan to measure my hair twice. Once when I take it down towards the end of February (I have a special event) and at the end of the challenge (once again I have another special even to attend). In between that time, any significant amount of growth I may receive I will document. If all goes well I will keep this challenge up throughout the summer (when my hair grows the fastest) and see where I will end at in terms of my hair length. Throughout that time frame I plan to spray Surge two times a day, alternate between my glycerin mix and oil mix, and wash once every other week. I’ve added glycerin to the regimen because I want to soften whatever new growth I will receive since I won’t be relaxing my hair for months on end.

On a happier note, I’m glad to say that I have incorporated the baggie method into this challenge! /images/graemlins/clap.gif This is my first time doing this technique and I hope to improve the look and feel of my ends, as well as retain some length! In an effort to hide the baggie and improve the overall look of the style I will be wearing a phony pony…which I have never worn before.

So in conclusion…wish me luck!! Unlimited growth potential here I come!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Oh, before I forget…pictures of my cornrows are in my album in the “November 2004 – February 2005” album. ***I plan to add pictures of my phony pony later on...***

girl i know what you are talking about. i have worn weave hair for about 10 years. i had thick shoulder length hair, but i thought the weaved hair was better looking. i recently began working in kuwait, and had gotten braids(i did not take care of them ). when i took them out, i noticed my hair had grown almost to my bra strap but it was soooo damaged i had to cut it to the nape of my neck. this happened in august. something came over me and i decided never to wear fake hair again!!!! well i began applying protein treatments, and deep conditioning my hair every two days and girl , guess what, it is december and my hair has grown back to my bra strap. be diligent and you will achieve your length.

girl i know what you are talking about. i have worn weave hair for about 10 years. i had thick shoulder length hair, but i thought the weaved hair was better looking. i recently began working in kuwait, and had gotten braids(i did not take care of them ). when i took them out, i noticed my hair had grown almost to my bra strap but it was soooo damaged i had to cut it to the nape of my neck. this happened in august. something came over me and i decided never to wear fake hair again!!!! well i began applying protein treatments, and deep conditioning my hair every two days and girl , guess what, it is december and my hair has grown back to my bra strap. be diligent and you will achieve your length.

Lovely, You can do it, and LHCF will be cheering you on /images/graemlins/weird.gif
Lately, there have been many times when I wanted to just give up on the whole hair thing, but reading this encourages me to keep striving for longer hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
kuwait said:

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW.../images/graemlins/shocked.gif...your hair really has grown!

Back