6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Those of you that order from fromnaturewithlove.com. Have anyone tried their Henna? Is their other ayurveda powders of good quality?

Their powders are of great quality. I buy Amla, Henna, Shikakai, and Hibiscus Petal Powder from them in bulk.

Sorry but I just had to take those braids down. Even with the hairline redone, I realized that it they would still look crappy so I took them out last night, henna'ed my hair and slept with it in my hair all night. I cowashed the henna out this morning with Suave Humectant and Porosity Control Conditioner. I then deep conditioned with Joico Color Endure and Jason Naturals Jojoba Conditioner to protect my henna color. I will keep the DC in all day so I can get the suppleness back in my hair.

Those of you that order from fromnaturewithlove.com. Have anyone tried their Henna? Is their other ayurveda powders of good quality?

I order my henna, hibiscus petal powder, bhringraj, ginger root powders from them among other hair oils and products. The powders and everything else I have bought from them are of very high quality and I haven't had any problems with anything so far.

Even the 5lbs of henna powder I bought from them almost 2 years ago still work very effectively even though I haven't preserved it by freezing or refrigerating it as suggested. I will admit though that it's efficacy is slightly diminished when I use it in a henna gloss now. When I first bought it, it worked very well as a gloss. Now I have to use it straight up for it to deposit color in my hair. It still has strengthening and conditioning power as a gloss though so for me that is still a big plus:yep:.

I'm joining this challenge. I have been trying to use up alot of products that I have, and my hair hasn't been the same. I'm back on Ayureveda and I can tell the difference, immediately.

This is my beginning pic as of yesterday:
100_7127-1.jpg

I will be using:

Powders: Shikakkai (sp) and Cassia Obovata
Oils: Vatika and Amla
Shampoo Bar: Rosemary from Mehandi.com

This stuff is the best for my hair, I am totally convinced now:yep:

2 direct heat passes.......uggghhhhhhhh!:lachen: chile, that's going to be rough....:lachen:

OOoooh N&W, it's so nice of you to join in this challenge. Your hair is so pretty and looking really thick too. I love ayurveda and natural/organic products so much now and trying hard to use up the commercial products in my stash as well.

Finally, this morning I cowashed my braids first with Suave Humectant conditioner, then I DCed with a mixture of UBH Moisturizing Conditioner, Kenra MC, and Goddess Hair Growth Conditioner and I even threw in a little bit of Porosity Control conditioner just for the heck of it. For my leave in - I used WEN tea tree cleansing conditioner. I just love a tingly scalp.

I made another ayurveda tea rinse today minus the fenugreek powder this time. I don't feel like smelling like curried chicken at work this week:grin:. I will be using it as of tomorrow.

ETA: My new tea rinse consists of
1.5 Tbs of henna powder
1 tspn of shikakai powder
1.5 Tbs of amla powder
1 Tbs of kalpi tone
1 tspn of ginger root powder for fragrance
2oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
16oz very hot distilled water
A few drops of peppermint essential oil also for fragrance.

I made just enough rinse to use for one week only. I really soak my extension braids to get to my own hair in between and because it is so hot here, it evaporates pretty quickly. So I make sure it is pretty wet. I think I'm enjoying looking forward to making it every weekend too:yep:.

I did not know you can do all this with braids, Do you have any build up from the powders when you take your braids down, I am due to getting my hair back in braids and would love to try your technique. Thanks

I did not know you can do all this with braids, Do you have any build up from the powders when you take your braids down, I am due to getting my hair back in braids and would love to try your technique. Thanks

Oh yeah, this is my third time doing this with my braids. The trick is to wash them every 7 to 10 days. I use the spritzer every 1-2 days alternated with my normal moisturizing spritzer. There will be buildup no matter what you do if you keep your braids in as long as 7 weeks at a time, however the trick is to patiently and slowly separate your hair after removing the extensions. I sit down for at least an hour to an hour and a half, slowly separating the hairs with my fingers - no comb until they are properly separated.

I never lose more hair than the normal shed hairs. The problem with many ladies who get extension braids is when it's time to take them down, they don't do so slowly and patiently and if this is the case, they should never get their hair braided. They would risk losing wayy too much hair. I would unravel them and plait as I go. By the time I am done, I would have like 6-8 big plaits on my head. You can choose to cowash, wash, and/or deep condition while they are braided up at this time to avoid tangling again. Style as usual.

OOoooh N&W, it's so nice of you to join in this challenge. Your hair is so pretty and looking really thick too. I love ayurveda and natural/organic products so much now and trying hard to use up the commercial products in my stash as well.
Awww...thanks, sis. I'm so sorry I had to cut 2 inches off a few months ago, but at least its growing nicely now.

Ayurveda all the way.

ETA: My new tea rinse consists of
1.5 Tbs of henna powder
1 tspn of shikakai powder
1.5 Tbs of amla powder
1 Tbs of kalpi tone
1 tspn of ginger root powder for fragrance
2oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
16oz very hot distilled water
A few drops of peppermint essential oil also for fragrance.

Thank you for this recipe Aggie! I was going to do a rinse with just alma powder, but I can throw in a few other powders with some oil!

I was very happy with my hair this morning. The Monday routine is a keeper. Today I oiled my scalp with vatika frosting and my hair with amla. Will keep a plastic cap on for a few hours, scritch, then do a cowash with AOHSR.

Questions--on my boxes for amla oil and shikakai oil it says something about keeping the bottles in the box even after opening. Does anyone elses' say that? Thoughts about it? TIA.

Last edited:
Thank you for this recipe Aggie! I was going to do a rinse with just alma powder, but I can throw in a few other powders with some oil!
You're welcomed beans4r. I love the flexibility of these powders and oils and indeed love mixing them up to get the desired result I'm looking for.

Last edited:
I was very happy with my hair this morning. The Monday routine is a keeper. Today I oiled my scalp with vatika frosting and my hair with amla. Will keep a plastic cap on for a few hours, scritch, then do a cowash with AOHSR.

Questions--on my boxes for amla oil and shikakai oil it says something about keeping the bottles in the box even after opening. Does anyone elses' say that? Thoughts about it? TIA.

Whoa, I never noticed this before. I guess I'll have to pay better attention when I order them again. Although the oils I purchase from www.garrysun.com do not come in boxes, only the ones from www.amazon.com and www.mehndiskinart.com so far does. I haven't ordered any oils from these 2 sites in a while. Thanks for the heads up though.

I did a henna gloss using the remaining mix I had frozen since Saturday+ Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner- DevaCurl One conditioner leave-in, sealed with Vatika and Amla oils.

Sooo....I haven't been posting, BUT I have been doing my hair. On friday I sat under the dryer for half an hour with my oil blend, then tea rinsed with Amla, Mehandi, and Brahmi powders, followed by a cowash, and moisturized with Vatika coconut oil. Tonight I'm gonna prepoo with my oil blend under the dryer for at least half an hour, followed by 'poo with my shikakai 'poo bar. This will be my first time using it and I can't wait!!

I'm storing them in the refridge. I should get 3 uses out of each jar because I use the 8 oz applicator bottles each time I rinse. The teas turned out really well. Nice and dark! Thanks for the input Aggie :yep:.

Tonight I prepoo'd with vatika frosting, then used heat cap, and followed with YTC mud mask with steam.Tea rinsed with mix #1, cowashed out with AOHSR, followed by an acv rinse. Leave in (Juices & Berries), moisturized (Hairveda's WBC), and sealed (Hairveda's Cocasta & Shikakai). Pulled it up and put a scarf on. Will airdry overnight.
Great tip, I'm going to use this because it will save time when I do my hair after work.

Used my shikakai bar for the first time on Saturday. My hair was squeaky clean and kind of soft so that's encouraging. I'm new to all this so I'm taking it really slow. I found out the oils I bought have mineral oil in them so I'm not sure if I want to keep using them or not. I've already got a lot of problems retaining moisture so I'm not sure if I want to battle with that just for the sake of not wasting the bottles. During my reading this weekend, I found out you're not supposed to rinse out the oil you pre-poo with before you use the bar so I'll be trying that today. I will do a hot oil treatment w/Hairveda Cocasta oil for 30 mins b/f I use the bar and see how my hair comes out this time. I hope it goes well!

Is anyone DC'ing on dry hair bf using their shikakai bar? I'm guessing that would defeat the purpose of oiling your scalp beforehand? If anyone could help, I wanted to try to DC on dry hair to see if that would help condition my hair better but I still want to use my bar.

Last edited:
Used my shikakai bar for the first time on Saturday. My hair was squeaky clean and kind of soft so that's encouraging. I'm new to all this so I'm taking it really slow. I found out the oils I bought have mineral oil in them so I'm not sure if I want to keep using them or not. I've already got a lot of problems retaining moisture so I'm not sure if I want to battle with that just for the sake of not wasting the bottles. During my reading this weekend, I found out you're not supposed to rinse out the oil you pre-poo with before you use the bar so I'll be trying that today. I will do a hot oil treatment w/Hairveda Cocasta oil for 30 mins b/f I use the bar and see how my hair comes out this time. I hope it goes well!

Is anyone DC'ing on dry hair bf using their shikakai bar? I'm guessing that would defeat the purpose of oiling your scalp beforehand? If anyone could help, I wanted to try to DC on dry hair to see if that would help condition my hair better but I still want to use my bar.

I dc on dry hair all the time , with the herbs mixed in (not Shikakai). I usually save the bar for the next day. Just make sure your hair is oiled from root to tip, and dc after. Oh yeah you will see better results if you don't rinse out the oil before using the bar. Just wet the hair throughly and poo, good luck.

Today oil hair with amla/jasmine/shikkaki oils, mixes amla/skikaki/maka/brahmi/hibsicus with white rain energizing citrus, condition with motion dpt (don't like it) so I experiment and put wheat germ oil in it. DC with yes to carrots(YTC). Tea rinse with get growing(rooibos, peppermint, horsetail, stinging nettle oatstraw) suppose to drink it for hair but what the heck why not do both.

Leave in cantu shea(LOVE IT), moist with shea, and seal with vatika.

Last edited:
Yup, I DC on dry hair with the herbs mixed in also! I tend to like DC'ing overnight because it imparts a lot more moisture, but not too much.
I'm loving this ayurvedic regime :) For the first time my hair is thick and my ends look great!!

I prepoo with oil, do an HOT depending on the day, then dc. So I only dc on dry hair unless its a wash day and sometimes I still dc on dry hair and follow up with shampoo.

Ayurveda, massaging and bunning....my hair is in love:grin:

Tell me, why did I stop again????

I love this stuff and the way my hair feels and looks.....just lovely.:grin:

Scritched scalp with shikakai oil, oiled rest of hair with Afroveda Hibiscus Hair Infusion Oil. Co-washed with kalpi tone co-wash, DCing now with Banana Brulee. Will follow with some PC, apply some Kissi Seed conditioner, QB BRBC and OHHB, seal with Jabakusum Oil.

I been busy this week, so far i've pooed with my Shikakai bar. Tonight I'm dcing with Aussie Deep,TJ Nourish Spa,Nettle,Bhrami,Bhringraj,Amla & Bhrami oil.

Prepoo'd with Shescentit's Green Tea & Avocado oil, did hot oil tx, applied Green Tea Shea Butter Reconstructing Deep Tx (I think that's the name), steamed for an hour, tea rinsed with mix #2, used heat cap then cowashed with AOHSR, used leave in, mositurized, and sealed. Pinned up and airdrying.

Last edited:
Today I cleaned my hair with a Chargin Valley soap, and then did henna. Right now I have the indigo in my hair. I am thinking of leaving in some conditioner all tomorrow. I will just wear a cute beanie to my internship

Prepoo'd with Shescentit's Green Tea & Avocado oil, did hot oil tx, applied Green Tea Shea Butter Reconstructing Deep Tx (I think that's the name), steamed for an hour, tea rinsed with mix #2, used heat cap then cowashed with AOHSR, used leave in, mositurized, and sealed. Pinned up and airdrying.

Hey Shay, have you tried that Afroveda Shikakai elixir yet?

Hey Shay, have you tried that Afroveda Shikakai elixir yet?

Flowinlocks--I've been meaning to tell you about this. I have been using it consistently since June 1st. The first week I used it three times a week and since then every day. I've been putting it on my edges and I can really tell the difference. I did a before pic and when my edges are filled in I will take an after but you know I can't post anything until December :lachen:.

Flowinlocks--I've been meaning to tell you about this. I have been using it consistently since June 1st. The first week I used it three times a week and since then every day. I've been putting it on my edges and I can really tell the difference. I did a before pic and when my edges are filled in I will take an after but you know I can't post anything until December :lachen:.

I'm gonna have to get some, dang I think the sale is over.

Back