6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

today i mixed i Tsp of shikaikai, brahmi, amla (after sieving). Applied only to the scalp and left it for about 1 1/2hrs. rinsed then co-wash.

i like this method to get my scalp clean esp now i have braids on.

Did your mix turn runny from the Hibiscus? I'm starting to think it was this instead of The Kalpi tone. I mixed Motions CPR, Bhrami, bhringraj, and Hibiscus last night. It came out soupy. I never get this, especially with a thick cond.
Now that you point this out it has been runny especially with VO 5 milk, I used extra powder today with neutragen triple moisture and it was fine.

Hey everyone if you are looking for another site to order products BostonMaria posted this in vendor thread and it has henna products too.

I ordered Amla, Aritha and Maka from Ayurnatural Beauty last week
http://ayurnaturalbeauty.ecrater.com/index.php
and I received my order in 2 days. The shipping was inexpensive and my package was delivered right away. The owner is African American and she ships internationally as well.

Last night I pre-poo w/mahabhringraj tail oil & amla oil, then today I made a paste with Kalpi Tone & organic coconut oil by the way it smelled really good, let it sit for 1hr, rinsed, than deep condish w/shescentit Banana Brulee 1hr, rinse applied alba leave-n conditioner and style with KBB Hair Milk & creme.. my hair was singing Hallejuuuuuahhhhh
I never thought to make a paste with the coconut oil. Hmmm...:thought:
I have a huge bucket of coconut oil...I think I may have just found another use! Glad I read your post this morning - thanks! :yep:

Yesterday I oiled my twists with QB Indian Macassar oil, rinsed and applied a tea rinse of neem, tulsi and amla. Let that sit for 40 minutes, then cowashed. DC'd with SitriNillah, applied JC Leave-In, and twisted with Afroveda Ginger Almond Butter.

Also going to try the paste with the coconut oil, maybe tomorrow night. Looks yummy!

Last, I've found that my conditioner gets super runny with the Kalpi Tone. I don't have my hibiscus yet (ordered from R..., still waiting), but I definitely am going to try ayurnatural.com next.

Yesterday I oiled my twists with QB Indian Macassar oil, rinsed and applied a tea rinse of neem, tulsi and amla. Let that sit for 40 minutes, then cowashed. DC'd with SitriNillah, applied JC Leave-In, and twisted with Afroveda Ginger Almond Butter.

Also going to try the paste with the coconut oil, maybe tomorrow night. Looks yummy!

Last, I've found that my conditioner gets super runny with the Kalpi Tone. I don't have my hibiscus yet (ordered from R..., still waiting), but I definitely am going to try ayurnatural.com next.
Lawd knows, I do not need another butter...but that sounds kinda good. It's a sickness...I've pulled up her website. I need to do better. :lachen:

Last night I washed with HairVeda's Amala Shampoo, which has shikakai oil in it. Conditioned wtih the Moist 24/7 (coconut oil) and applied some CD HHB, sealed with Vatika Frosting. Also applied some VF to my scalp. I will probably try the paste with coconut oil tomorrow night, since tomorrow is a work out day for me.

Did your mix turn runny from the Hibiscus? I'm starting to think it was this instead of The Kalpi tone. I mixed Motions CPR, Bhrami, bhringraj, and Hibiscus last night. It came out soupy. I never get this, especially with a thick cond.

Not at all! It stayed thick.

AAAARRRRGGGGHGHHH!!!! I am too through!!! This morning I typed a nice lengthy message regarding my first experience with auryveda and the stupid message didn't post!!!

Long story short, the powders don't like me (a gritty hot mess). The shakakai soap bar is a dream and I'm in love with vitika oil and my face loves the chandrika soap bar.

I never thought to make a paste with the coconut oil. Hmmm...:thought:
I have a huge bucket of coconut oil...I think I may have just found another use! Glad I read your post this morning - thanks! :yep:

OOh when you do let me know how you like it, it seem to help the powder glide on the hair better and add extra oil so no no dryness, gotta ask where did you get a bucket of coconut oil, I love it, I even make a lotion with whipped unrefined shea butter/coconut oil and use it on my hair and skin..mmmmm Did I tell you I love coconut oil..lol:yep:

Ronnie, plzz stop talking about afroveda my wallet cant take it.. I am placing my order tomorrow before sale ends

AAAARRRRGGGGHGHHH!!!! I am too through!!! This morning I typed a nice lengthy message regarding my first experience with auryveda and the stupid message didn't post!!!

Long story short, the powders don't like me (a gritty hot mess). The shakakai soap bar is a dream and I'm in love with vitika oil and my face loves the chandrika soap bar.
Hmmm...I hate your post got deleted. I found that if I mixed/sifted my powders well before adding any water or anything else, they seemed to work better. I haven't had any problems rinsing them out, at this point.

OOh when you do let me know how you like it, it seem to help the powder glide on the hair better and add extra oil so no no dryness, gotta ask where did you get a bucket of coconut oil, I love it, I even make a lotion with whipped unrefined shea butter/coconut oil and use it on my hair and skin..mmmmm Did I tell you I love coconut oil..lol:yep:

Ronnie, plzz stop talking about afroveda my wallet cant take it.. I am placing my order tomorrow before sale ends
Imoan, I got the gallon bucket of virgin/unrefined coconut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs www.mountainroseherbs.com - it was $37, plus shipping. I think it worked out to about $49 total for me. The bucket lasts for 2 years from the date you purchase it.

Our local health food market sells Nutiva coconut oil, but it's $20.89 for 29 oz...so it would cost me $83.56 locally to buy the same amount of coconut oil I got shipped for $49. It was a no brainer for me. :yep: It's very good quality coconut oil, with that toasted coconut scent.

I mix mine with shea butter as well. I only use that mixture on my skin, though. I just use plain shea butter on my hair.

Monday I did pre-oil steam treatment with neelibhringhadi oil for 45 min. Then herbal blend paste for 1.5 hour. Then DC with Lekair + ORS for 45 min. HAPPY HAIR!

Last night I pre-poo w/mahabhringraj tail oil & amla oil, then today I made a paste with Kalpi Tone & organic coconut oil by the way it smelled really good, let it sit for 1hr, rinsed, than deep condish w/shescentit Banana Brulee 1hr, rinse applied alba leave-n conditioner and style with KBB Hair Milk & creme.. my hair was singing Hallejuuuuuahhhhh
I forgot to ask - how much coconut oil did you use, and how much Kalpi Tone?

Hey everyone if you are looking for another site to order products BostonMaria posted this in vendor thread and it has henna products too.

I ordered Amla, Aritha and Maka from Ayurnatural Beauty last week
http://ayurnaturalbeauty.ecrater.com/index.php
and I received my order in 2 days. The shipping was inexpensive and my package was delivered right away. The owner is African American and she ships internationally as well.

Hi ltown, Can you copy and paste this post in the Karishma Henna thread please? I put this link in there yesterday because many ladies were having a problem with Ruchita's delayed customer service and wanted another site to order from. I found this site yesterday morning and posted it in there but I haven't had any experience ordering from them as yet - but you have and apparently it was a great one. Thanks in advance.

I started using Chandrika for my face a few months ago as well and I agree, my face loves that soap also. I never thought about trying it on my hair as yet though. I know that it is great for both skin and hair.

Hmmm...I hate your post got deleted. I found that if I mixed/sifted my powders well before adding any water or anything else, they seemed to work better. I haven't had any problems rinsing them out, at this point.

Thanks Cassandra! I'll try sifting first this time. I'm really itching to use my henna, but I'm not sure on the best way to use it. Do I mix it by itself or do I mix it with condish? Still tryng to figure that out.:/

I forgot to ask - how much coconut oil did you use, and how much Kalpi Tone?

I used the whole box of KT since it was my first time and I wanted to get the true feel of it, and 2 Tablespoon of coconut oil, and of course warm water. I have to say my experience was super great with the KT, wish I had of bought more than one box:sad:, even my 5yr old daughter was like mom your hair looks good, on the hunt to find another place to buy it from..

Thanks to whoever started talking about KT, I want moreeeeeeeee

I used the whole box of KT since it was my first time and I wanted to get the true feel of it, and 2 Tablespoon of coconut oil, and of course warm water. I have to say my experience was super great with the KT, wish I had of bought more than one box:sad:, even my 5yr old daughter was like mom your hair looks good, on the hunt to find another place to buy it from..

The first time I used Kalpi Tone my SO said that same thing about my hair, how pretty and black and shiny it was. KT is definitely a KEEPER!! :grin:

Thanks Cassandra! I'll try sifting first this time. I'm really itching to use my henna, but I'm not sure on the best way to use it. Do I mix it by itself or do I mix it with condish? Still tryng to figure that out.:/

Depends on what you want. If you want color then I would just go with water and lemon juice depending on what colors you want, but if you want conditioning effects I would go with conditioner.

I've been mixing mine with 2 cups of green tea, and maybe a small splash of lime juice (I rarely have lemon juice at the house). I think the green tea can be less drying than the lemon/lime juice alone, and the tea gives you the acidity you need to still release the color. The mixture came out very nice (I have some pics in my fotki).

Now if you're just trying to get the conditioning benefits, I beelive you can go ahead and add conditioner...many of the girls here do that. I'm trying to cover pesky grays, so I don't mix it with anything.

Ooooh ok...I was thinking it was just coconut oil and KT, no water or anything else. I'll have to play around with the measurements.

I received my oils from Afroveda yesterday. The Shikakai one has a bit of a minty sulfur smell. The Hibiscus on smells like flowers. I tried both of them. They seem to be pretty light, I'm coming to the conclusion I like heavier oils better. I think I might pick up some EVOO and infuse it with Fenugreek. Has anyone made and oil using this herb before?

It's time I make another ayurveda spritzer and I may do so on the weekend when I have more time on my hand. I'm thinking about using kalpi tone, amla, kapoor kachli and bhringraj powders - no shikakai this time. This time I may add them to a herbal rinse of rosemary, thyme, and sage.

I've been mixing mine with 2 cups of green tea, and maybe a small splash of lime juice (I rarely have lemon juice at the house). I think the green tea can be less drying than the lemon/lime juice alone, and the tea gives you the acidity you need to still release the color. The mixture came out very nice (I have some pics in my fotki).

Now if you're just trying to get the conditioning benefits, I beelive you can go ahead and add conditioner...many of the girls here do that. I'm trying to cover pesky grays, so I don't mix it with anything.

Depends on what you want. If you want color then I would just go with water and lemon juice depending on what colors you want, but if you want conditioning effects I would go with conditioner.[/quote

Actually the Henna doesn't need anything acidic to release the color, About halfway through that Do y'all Henna thread, ladies were realizing that the lemon juice, wine, acv, etc. were actually adding unnecessary dryness.

Last edited:
I received my oils from Afroveda yesterday. The Shikakai one has a bit of a minty sulfur smell. The Hibiscus on smells like flowers. I tried both of them. They seem to be pretty light, I'm coming to the conclusion I like heavier oils better. I think I might pick up some EVOO and infuse it with Fenugreek. Has anyone made and oil using this herb before?

flowinlocks, please list the ingredients of the "new" blend of Shikakai oil. I have the "old" version and love it. It smells a little like rosemary, no sulfur smell though. :look:

Last night I oiled my scalp and strands with coconut and amla oil. Today I mixed Brahmi and Hibiscus powders into my co-wash conditioner. Followed with Alter Ego deep conditioner and my hair feels strong and sleek. This Ayerveda thing may work after all.:yep:

So today I am going to wash my hair again. I've been doing daily oilings with my scalp oil and i'm itching to relax..but I have like 3 more weeks.
Just a question, How do you guys incorporate the ayurveda regime with relaxer days? Do you use henna on relaxer day to strengthen?

Changing up my routine today. I will use my cleansing tea rinse because I want to do a protein treatment.

AV-HERBALOILS.html-42.png

It's actually the same as on the website. I tried both of them yesterday, so it's probably the msm in the Hibiscus I'm smelling

Ooooh ok...I was thinking it was just coconut oil and KT, no water or anything else. I'll have to play around with the measurements.

you know it might work with just coconut oil probably have to use a lot, I did mix the coconut oil first but it looked more like oatmeal than, yogurt, so I added the warm water

Back