4a/b's cowash or rinse with success?

yodie

My apologies if there's already a thread about this. There are a lot of cowashing threads. Too many to go through.

I'm 4a/b and wearing twists under a wig until July. Figured I'd try cowashing. Either now or never. My hair doesn't feel moisturized at all.

What's your experience? Has co-washing taken your hair to the next level? Please share your positive/negative experience.

Thanks

I'm 4b/a relaxed...I co-wash 1-2x a week. If I could I'd co-wash exclusively, my hair loves it (keeps it ubber moisturized), but my scalp loves shampoo :sigh:

I'm 4b relaxed. I cowash daily and I love it and so does my hair.

Btw, there's a great thread circulating on Porosity Control. If your hair's not holding moisture, that could be your problem. The thread is something like "Porosity Control...the missing step", or something like that. HTH.

'k. Here's the link http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341855

Last edited:
Hey. I'm a natural 4a (I believe). I love cowashing. It makes my scalp feel clean and it does moisturize my hair. It took a couple of tries to see the benefits. I could suffice on cowash alone for my hair. When it was at the best condition (before I got braids), I could cowash and go. My hair was moisturized and I did not apply any product after. This was at 4 months transition before the BC so I did not have that much hair. Maybe it can be the conditioner? I use Aussie Moist and that works the best for me. VO5 is good but only okay for my hair. HTH

I've been using V05. I want to try HE's smoothing condish.
Thanks for that porosity control tip. Maybe I need to try that.

I'm natural and I co-wash successfully. I do protein treatments (or protein conditioners every now and again) as well as clarifying about once a month. It's providing more moisture for my hair. I have to do it once or twice at the very least (if I'm wearing a loose fro.)

Are the 4ab naturals using cheapie condish's?
What are you ladies (relaxed/natural) cowashing with? Maybe 405 isn't the best condish for me to use.

I'm 4B natural. Cowashing my twists was a regular occurrence and I loved it. Because I don't use a leave-in on my hair when wearing twists, I would CW whenever my hair felt dry in-btw my washes, which happened twice a week. I also CW'd whenever I needed to change my hairstyle because the twists were easy to work with when damp.

Do you use a lot of products when you are wearing twists? Because I imagine buildup could make your hair not feel so great. Since I don't use any products conditioning leaves my hair feeling awesome.

I have used Trader Joe's Nourish Spa which is a cheapie for CWing. Otherwise I love anything that smells nice or that promises moisture (Aussie Moist, NTM, Organics Red Grape, Organix Pomegranate...). If wearing my hair down, I could CW wash daily because by allowing my twists to drip dry, they hand down better.

Last edited:
@Nonie, I usually clarify once a month and I always use a hair butter to twist my hair. I also use oils throughout the week and Scurl spray. Am I suffocating my hair? I couldn't imagine twisting my hair without hair butter. It would feel too dry.

I am a 4b with some 4a/3c pieces here and there. My hair loves cowashing. I actually don't use cheapy conditioners for my cowashes, they don't work as well for me. Hairveda's condish works well, Curlz Sublime Moisturising Condish works really well for me too. My hair also loves shampoo, so along with sometimes daily cowashing, I shampoo twice a week. I also DC on dry hair quite frequently.

I am a 4b with some 4a/3c pieces here and there. My hair loves cowashing. I actually don't use cheapy conditioners for my cowashes, they don't work as well for me. Hairveda's condish works well, Curlz Sublime Moisturising Condish works really well for me too. My hair also loves shampoo, so along with sometimes daily cowashing, I shampoo twice a week. I also DC on dry hair quite frequently.

Hmmm, you have me thinking. I dc'd on dry hair with AOHSR for more than an hour and then I did a steam treatment. My hair feels so much more moisturized today. It never feels this way when I dc on wet/dry hair with heat. I wonder if dc's under the hooded dryer don't work as well for my hair.

Sounds like cowashing is beneficial for 4ab natural and relaxed heads, so it has to be something that I'm doing wrong.

Maybe I'll try a few porosity control rinses and better deep conditioners.

Maybe it depends on the conditioner you use. Get something with a slip, I like most of the cheapie conditioners. I've never had this problem, and I was co-washing daily. I also moisturize my hair afterward with curl activator, or a leave in conditioner along with some Infusium 23 maybe to go along with it.

@Nonie, I usually clarify once a month and I always use a hair butter to twist my hair. I also use oils throughout the week and Scurl spray. Am I suffocating my hair? I couldn't imagine twisting my hair without hair butter. It would feel too dry.

If you're using all those products, do you ever shampoo besides the clarifying once a month?

I know a lot of people use products then CW, and *I* couldn't imagine smothering my hair with all those products: leave-ins and then the coating a conditioner leaves.:nono:

Also, when I use S Curl on my hair (only when it's out), I use it only on the day I wash my hair and then my hair maintains that moisture till the next time I wash my hair with me baggying nightly. So you find you need oils AND S Curl?

You have to find a con that is cheap but also works with your hair. Only the Moisture Milk Strawberries and Champagne makes my hair silky. But my faves are Aussie Moist, Tresseme, and now Suave Sweet Almond and Shea. My hair use to love Mill Creek but has since changed since it has grown.

I am 4a/3c in the back by the way.

If you're using all those products, do you ever shampoo besides the clarifying once a month?

I know a lot of people use products then CW, and *I* couldn't imagine smothering my hair with all those products: leave-ins and then the coating a conditioner leaves.:nono:

Also, when I use S Curl on my hair (only when it's out), I use it only on the day I wash my hair and then my hair maintains that moisture till the next time I wash my hair with me baggying nightly. So you find you need oils AND S Curl?

I'm experimenting with cw. So, I've gone from washing once every 2 wks to attempting to cowash every couple of days. Yes, I use some type of shampoo, even if it's diluted, at least once a month (keep in mind that I was washing my hair only twice a month).

I apply castor oil to my scalp twice a week and S Curl everyday. I like the idea of cw'ing in order to rinse out some of the products on a daily basis.
Maybe my hair feels dry because I cowash in twists and can't thoroughly apply anything to my hair after I rinse. Hmmm...

You have to find a con that is cheap but also works with your hair. Only the Moisture Milk Strawberries and Champagne makes my hair silky. But my faves are Aussie Moist, Tresseme, and now Suave Sweet Almond and Shea. My hair use to love Mill Creek but has since changed since it has grown.

I am 4a/3c in the back by the way.

This is what I use, but I don't feel like it does the job for my hair.

I'm experimenting with cw. So, I've gone from washing once every 2 wks to attempting to cowash every couple of days. Yes, I use some type of shampoo, even if it's diluted, at least once a month (keep in mind that I was washing my hair only twice a month).

I apply castor oil to my scalp twice a week and S Curl everyday. I like the idea of cw'ing in order to rinse out some of the products on a daily basis.
Maybe my hair feels dry because I cowash in twists and can't thoroughly apply anything to my hair after I rinse. Hmmm...

I don't think so. I think your hair is feeling dry because it's coated. Would you be willing to shampoo it, DC, and then just use S Curl spray when your hair dries? If you apply it to damp hair, your hair will dry hard, but if you apply it to your hair after it dries, it'll feel uber soft.

When shampooing my hair, I do not use diluted shampoo. Because I tend to use moisturizing shampoos, I'd rather use it concentrated so I can make sure my scalp and hair get cleaned properly. Then I squeeze the twists so the suds soak into my twists. I am 100% sure my twists get a good clean from that. If you're using Castor oil on your scalp, then you're probably blocking sebum which can further lead to a dry scalp. Have you tried a lighter oil like Jojoba?

Another thing, have you considered using a cleansing conditioner like the WEN line? I have never considered CWing a cleansing method--although many will disagree with me. Most conditioners have emollients that coat hair to provide slip and protection so I've never understood how you can put that over hair that was coated and somehow except to get clean hair.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is partly to blame for tangles that people get, from hair being glued together by all the gunk on it.

What are you ladies (relaxed/natural) cowashing with? Maybe 405 isn't the best condish for me to use.

I'm using Suave (coconut, the shea butter one, and the rosemary mint) and HELTR (sometimes WEN) for cowashes. White Rain SUCKS for my hair. The V05 was ok but the smell of the strawberries n cream got to me after a while. I like the green tea and chamomile though (just for the smell and feel.)

The softest hair I've ever had came by applying braid spray to towel dried hair. :lick: I used this...
spray.jpg
It was soooooooooo soft. I actually like this better than "da juice" but *ahem* don't tell anybody :sekret:

Last edited:
I won't tell ayone about the juice. The juice is so thick on my hair. I'd never use it if I wasn't wearing a protective style. Sounds like I have too much product buildup on my hair. I think I may have to step away from S Curl and pick up Dove Moisture Mist (or whatever its called). Loved the smell and no buildup.
I'm using Suave (coconut, the shea butter one, and the rosemary mint) and HELTR (sometimes WEN) for cowashes. White Rain SUCKS for my hair. The V05 was ok but the smell of the strawberries n cream got to me after a while. I like the green tea and chamomile though (just for the smell and feel.)

The softest hair I've ever had came by applying braid spray to towel dried hair. :lick: I used this...
spray.jpg
It was soooooooooo soft. I actually like this better than "da juice" but *ahem* don't tell anybody :sekret:

I used Wen Fig awhile back. My hair felt great. I had a setback and stopped using it because I wasn't sure what caused the setback. Just curious, if cheapie cons don't clean, then how can Wen be considered a 'cleansing' condish? Its condish, but I'm sure it has some form of cleansing agent.

My hair loves jojoba oil, but I apply castor oil to my scap for growth. Wouldn't be so bad if I could apply at night and rinse it every morning.
I don't apply CO to my hair. My scalp isn't dry. Just my hair feels dry when I cw.

Sounds like I have product buildup. I'll keep this in mind. I used shampoo yesterday (not a clarifying one).

Yes, I can shampoo, DC and apply my spray of choice after it dries. Always thought it was better to apply product on wet hair.

I don't think so. I think your hair is feeling dry because it's coated. Would you be willing to shampoo it, DC, and then just use S Curl spray when your hair dries? If you apply it to damp hair, your hair will dry hard, but if you apply it to your hair after it dries, it'll feel uber soft.

When shampooing my hair, I do not use diluted shampoo. Because I tend to use moisturizing shampoos, I'd rather use it concentrated so I can make sure my scalp and hair get cleaned properly. Then I squeeze the twists so the suds soak into my twists. I am 100% sure my twists get a good clean from that. If you're using Castor oil on your scalp, then you're probably blocking sebum which can further lead to a dry scalp. Have you tried a lighter oil like Jojoba?

Another thing, have you considered using a cleansing conditioner like the WEN line? I have never considered CWing a cleansing method--although many will disagree with me. Most conditioners have emollients that coat hair to provide slip and protection so I've never understood how you can put that over hair that was coated and somehow except to get clean hair.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is partly to blame for tangles that people get, from hair being glued together by all the gunk on it.

I co-wash every day. :drunk: I hate going a day without it. I had no time this morning and don't know if I can stand to wait til tommorow.

I used Wen Fig awhile back. My hair felt great. I had a setback and stopped using it because I wasn't sure what caused the setback. Just curious, if cheapie cons don't clean, then how can Wen be considered a 'cleansing' condish? Its condish, but I'm sure it has some form of cleansing agent.

My hair loves jojoba oil, but I apply castor oil to my scap for growth. Wouldn't be so bad if I could apply at night and rinse it every morning.
I don't apply CO to my hair. My scalp isn't dry. Just my hair feels dry when I cw.

Sounds like I have product buildup. I'll keep this in mind. I used shampoo yesterday (not a clarifying one).

Yes, I can shampoo, DC and apply my spray of choice after it dries. Always thought it was better to apply product on wet hair

Unlike other conditioners that were meant to be used after a shampoo so that they could coat your hair and protect it, WEN was specifically made as a conditioner for cleaning hair. The science behind why a product was made I think and the purpose for which it was made makes a difference IMO.

This is what V05 Alberto Moisture Milk's Moisturizing Conditioner Strawberries and Cream blurb says on Drugstore.com. No mention of leaving hair clean or removing build up. Just what it ADDS to hair:

Rich Formula 2x Stronger Hair*
with soy milk protein
Experience the health and vitality of soy milk protein formula for beautiful hair.

• Treat yourself to the fragrance of fresh - picked strawberries.
  • Soy milk protein formula revitalizes dry, damaged hair.
  • Moisturizes as it conditions leaving hair silky, smooth and beautiful.
  • Keeps color treated hair looking great.

And here's the blurb for WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner on Amazon.com:

• WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner bottle holds 16 ounce
  • This cleansing conditioner is free of sodium laurel sulfates and detergents
  • It cleanses without lathering or stripping the scalp or hair of natural moisture
  • It works exceptionally well to moisturize, hydrate and replenish dry, heat-damaged, color-treated, or dehydrated hair

I too apply S Curl to dry hair but when the water evaporates, it leaves my hair feeling crisp and dry. So apply again to the dry hair and it stays moisturized for days.

I don't think there's a rule about when to apply moisture. I think if you're using something like Shea Butter which has no "water" then it makes sense to apply it to damp hair. But something like S Curl that is full of water doesn't really need water to moisturize your hair.

Unlike other conditioners that were meant to be used after a shampoo so that they could coat your hair and protect it, WEN was specifically made as a conditioner for cleaning hair. The science behind why a product was made I think and the purpose for which it was made makes a difference IMO.

This is what V05 Alberto Moisture Milk's Moisturizing Conditioner Strawberries and Cream blurb says on Drugstore.com. No mention of leaving hair clean or removing build up. Just what it ADDS to hair:

And here's the blurb for WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner on Amazon.com:

that's the thing about wen. i think it's a decent product, and i really appreciate how it's turned a lot of people on to co-washing ... but wen is really an example of effective marketing -- not science. that's not to say some "science" didn't go into developing his product, but it is to say that the ingredients listed on wen "scientifically" aren't that different from most good conditioners. by reading the ingredients list, as an informed consumer, you're able to determine what the product can do for you, & not just rely upon the claims on the label.

co-washing/no-pooing was around long before mr. dean & wen. and you definitely do not need to spend $30-50 to co-wash. :grin::look::grin: (unless you want to) ... just about any cheapie will do (suave, aussie moist, garnier fructyis, tressemme ... trader joe's nourish spsa, aubrey organics ... it's really up to you & what works on your hair. i found more info here:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/03/09/how-to-clean-your-hair-with-conditioner/

Nina asks about WEN, a line of cleansing conditioners created by a Hollywood hair stylist Chaz Dean. Dean believes that sulfates in most shampoos can be very damaging and stripping to hair so he created these cleansing conditioners to clean hair without stripping it. Nina wants to know if hair can really be better off in the long run by cleansing with a conditioner. And if it does work, will a regular drugstore conditioner produce the same effect.

The Left Brain replies:

Great question, Nina. First of all, the idea of cleaning your hair with conditioner is not new and was not invented by Chaz. And no, he’s not using any kind of revolutionary technology. Let`s take a look at the ingredients:

Water, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, rosemary leaf extract, wild cherry fruit extract, fig extract, chamomile extract, marigold flower extract, behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, amodimethicone, hydrolized wheat protein, polysorbate 60, panthenol, menthol, sweet almond oil, PEG-60 almond glycerides, methylisothiazolinone, methylchloroisothiazolinone, citric acid, essential oils.

Looking at just the functional ingredients (leaving out extracts, preservatives, pH adjusters, ) leaves the following:

glycerin, cetyl alcohol, behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine (SADMA), and amodimethicone

These are very common conditioner ingredients. Here’s what they do: Glycerin can provide moisturization in a leave on product, but it doesn’t do anything for hair when it’s rinsed out. Cetyl and cetearyl alcohol are thickening and emulsifying agents are are used to make a conditioner rich and creamy. Because they`re oil soluble they could, in theory, help lift some of the sebum of your hair and scalp. Behentrimonium methosulfate, SADMA, and amodimethicone are very effective conditioning ingredients because they deposit on the hair.

Could you clean your hair with this product? Sure, if your hair isn’t very dirty this could work pretty well. But so could any basic conditioner. In fact, I’d look for a conditioner that doesn’t have any silicone in it, just to make sure it leaves as little on your hair as possible.

But what if you have greasy hair, or if you use hairspray, mousse gel, or putty? Then cleansing conditioners are not a very good idea. They don`t have enough cleansing power to remove gunk from the hair. Chances are that cleansing with conditioner will leave your hair feeling dirty and weighed down.

The Brains Bottom Line: If you’re really worried about drying your hair out from over-shampooing, there’s nothing wrong with skipping your shampoo and just rinsing with conditioner once in a while. But you don’t need to spend $28 on a special product. A nice inexpensive drug store brand will do the same thing.

^^ Thanks for that Tkj25, I love Beauty Brains' breakdown of stuff.

And I see that they also have the same sentiments I have, that conditioners may not be able to clean greasy hair, greasy hair that is bound to attract more dirt than non-greasy hair, and so if you're using 147938437349 products that are oily or buttery on your hair, then down the road, your hair starts to get build up and very dirty and not so clean after a CW. But I suppose if you're using something that washes off easily like jheri juice spray, perhaps CW can leave hair fairly clean.

Maybe this buildup actually works to protect strands from wear and tear coz coating strands can have that effect. Yes, buildup may make hair not look so hawt, but I wonder if it has its pluses in that strands are shielded from friction? :scratchch

I'm a 4b natural and I cowash with Aussie Moist once a week. Cowashing is by far the best thing I could have done. My hair has really thrived over the past year.

By the way, I tried V05 and Suave conditioners and my hair HATED THEM. I guess they were too thin/watery.

Maybe try some other conditioners in your stash. I love steam ...i need to whip out my steamer this week. I know I have to clarify my hair when products stop "moisturising" or giving me "slip". I like to put lots of moisture in my hair, so for my hair to respond I have to shampoo and clarify often. something else that works wonderful for me is Hairveda ACV rinse. I really like it, :yep:

Hmmm, you have me thinking. I dc'd on dry hair with AOHSR for more than an hour and then I did a steam treatment. My hair feels so much more moisturized today. It never feels this way when I dc on wet/dry hair with heat. I wonder if dc's under the hooded dryer don't work as well for my hair.

Sounds like cowashing is beneficial for 4ab natural and relaxed heads, so it has to be something that I'm doing wrong.

Maybe I'll try a few porosity control rinses and better deep conditioners.

I'm 4b relaxed and I co-wash anywhere from 1-4 times per week (depends on my workouts) and I am addicted. My hair is so soft and moisturized, gets rid of the salt/sweat buildup from my workouts, and I don't have to do extensive daily moisturizing. I use the Vo5 Moisture Milks.

I'm 4b relaxed and I co-wash anywhere from 1-4 times per week (depends on my workouts) and I am addicted. My hair is so soft and moisturized, gets rid of the salt/sweat buildup from my workouts, and I don't have to do extensive daily moisturizing. I use the Vo5 Moisture Milks.

:up: I think that's the secret to being pleased with your hair: paying attention to your hair and realizing when it's had enough and not drowning it with product. If you're CWing a lot, then I don't think you need a lot of products. Something light should suffice.

OP, I meant to ask why you use Castor oil on your scalp. Have you tried not using anything? I wonder if this might lessen the buildup on your hair. When you apply products to your scalp, they can't help but get on your hair too...so I am sure that might also explain the difficulty in getting your hair clean with conditioners.

Oh, I saw that you use Castor Oil for growth. Have you tried something lighter like Essential Oil Blend for Growth? Otherwise, trust me, your hair will grow even w/o you applying anything to your scalp. A massage might do you more good than the oils. ;)

Back