4a/b tired of being rediculed by biracial siblings

Researching

Hello ladies I need help. I have grown my very dry, 4a/b type, relaxed hair from APL to WL using s-curl and profective mega growth for daily moisture. These moisturizers have been the best by far when it comes to keeping my hair soft and managable and keeping the breakage to a minimum. However, when I reached my goal I was no longer tolerant of the smell of these products and I was also tired of my siblings riduculing me about the smelly "grease" I put in my hair. They think everything I put in my hair is grese and I don't even use grease. Well, I've tried to find replacement products, but non of them keep my hair soft and breakage free. These products include: cantu shea butter, Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose as a leave in, Suave conditioner as a leave in, Kamaza curl spray, ORS daily moisturizer, and I have even tried not completely rinsing out my ORS replinishing conditioner and none of this has worked for me. My hair is crunchy and dry and when I seal with coconut oil the oil just sits on my hair and does not penetrate. Lastly I tried wet bunning with a baggie over night. This was the worst in terms of smell!:nono: My mom walked by me one day and had this look on her face like she was about to throw up. Then she walked closer and said "What is that ransid smell...That's your hair smelling like that!" I was sooooo embarased and of course my sister had to run up and take a whif as well to add her 2 cents in. I cowashed that evening and have never baggied again. I'm just so upset because I cannot do twist outs or braid out without s-curl or profective because I will get breakage and I am tired of my hair being crunchy and dry. I am also tired of being self-consious about the smell of my hair. Why can't I have my cake and eat it too? Can't I have long, soft, and pleasent smelling hair? :sad:

Oh yeah, I was so busy venting that I forgot to ask my question. Can any of you 4 type ladies suggest a daily moisturizer that smells good and will keep my type of hair soft. Thanks!

Hello ladies I need help. I have grown my very dry, 4a/b type, relaxed hair from APL to WL using s-curl and profective mega growth for daily moisture. These moisturizers have been the best by far when it comes to keeping my hair soft and managable and keeping the breakage to a minimum. However, when I reached my goal I was no longer tolerant of the smell of these products and I was also tired of my siblings riduculing me about the smelly "grease" I put in my hair. They think everything I put in my hair is grese and I don't even use grease. Well, I've tried to find replacement products, but non of them keep my hair soft and breakage free. These products include: cantu shea butter, Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose as a leave in, Suave conditioner as a leave in, Kamaza curl spray, ORS daily moisturizer, and I have even tried not completely rinsing out my ORS replinishing conditioner and none of this has worked for me. My hair is crunchy and dry and when I seal with coconut oil the oil just sits on my hair and does not penetrate. Lastly I tried wet bunning with a baggie over night. This was the worst in terms of smell!:nono: My mom walked by me one day and had this look on her face like she was about to throw up. Then she walked closer and said "What is that ransid smell...That's your hair smelling like that!" I was sooooo embarased and of course my sister had to run up and take a whif as well to add her 2 cents in. I cowashed that evening and have never baggied again. I'm just so upset because I cannot do twist outs or braid out without s-curl or profective because I will get breakage and I am tired of my hair being crunchy and dry. I am also tired of being self-consious about the smell of my hair. Why can't I have my cake and eat it too? Can't I have long, soft, and pleasent smelling hair? :sad:

Have you tried Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner yet. Its a deep conditioner that balances your protein and moisture and also restructures your hair from within. This means you have to use it regularly. Better yet, you should get your best moisture from you weekly deep conditioner (whatever you use); and your daily moisturizers should be secondary. To be clear, Your hair should be so moist and soft after deep conditioning that your moisturizer is optional. This dry, crunch hair you describe is eventually going to start breaking if you don't find something to moisturize from within. For daily moisture, you can use distilled water and oils (castor/jojoba are best) and conditioner mixed in. I found that water is the best moisturizer. But it will work much better after you condition your hair to accept water moisture. Then you can seal w/oil of your choosing. Coconut oil is only good on wet hair as a pre-poo. You will see alot of posts about evco leaving hair hard or just sitting there. It is my favorite pre-poo and leaves my hair moist.

Last edited:
i mean those products aren't THAT BAD as far as smell. Their reactions are like you put old bacon grease on your hair or something.

HOWEVER, i personally stopped using a lot of BSS daily moisturizers for their smell alone (as well as poor ingredients). BSS fragrances in my opinion could be better. Now i'm spoiled cuz all of my moisturizers I use now, come from natural hair vendors. Are you willing to buy online?

There's this one black hair site that specifically sells hair moisturizing perfume that has really aromatic scents I like. :grin:

It's helped me mask the harsh smell of Jamaican black castor oil pretty well and if anything people know when I walk by because they smell vanilla before they see me. But that's just because I put alot on also... :look::lol:

I'm looking for it now but when I find it, I'll post the link for ya OP. :yep:

Can you just add a fragrance oil to your scurl? I would get a few to try out and a little goes along way. If it WAS working for you and you just changed it because of the actions of mom/siblings.

Since you like curl activators. Hawaiian silky "dry look" curl activator smells nice. IMO.
Smells like sweet almost like strawberries. Plus you can pick it up in the store.

Otherwise you may need to invest in some custom made hair perfumes.

Better yet, you should get your best moisture from you weekly deep conditioner (whatever you use); and your daily moisturizers should be secondary. To be clear, Your hair should be so moist and soft after deep conditioning that your moisturizer is optional.

I wish, my hair is actually the most dry the first three days after I wash and this also includes cowash days, and I never wash/co wash without deep conditioning. My problem may be that I am sealing with coconut oil and you are saying that coconut oil is not for sealing the hair. That's something to think about. I have castor oil. I put it on my scalp, but have worried about the smell if I were to actually put it on my hair.

S-curl smells bad stright from the bottle and when I was using it I washed weekly with shampoo. Clarifying shampoos strip my hair to a terrifying degree. I'm scared of that stuff. I use Cream of Nature Moisturizing detangling shampoo most weeks. Some weeks I will cowash, but not often.

I like things that smell good but I had a coworker who deemed anything with a scent as stinky. It could be perfume, hair product or body wash if she smelled it was stinky.

So the problem may not be you...it may be them.

That former coworker was let go. She took a four day vacation claiming a headache when the CEO was out of town.

She said my office deodorizer gave her a headache...my office was next door.

First things first- you need to talk to your family because it's unacceptable that you are riduculed by them. I don't really have any product advice, since I'm natural and I'm still searching for my staple products. Have you tried the search funtion? There are lots of threads regarding dry hair. It may not purely be a moisture issue.

First things first- you need to talk to your family because it's unacceptable that you are riduculed by them. I don't really have any product advice, since I'm natural and I'm still searching for my staple products. Have you tried the search funtion? There are lots of threads regarding dry hair. It may not purely be a moisture issue.

If I tell them I am offended they will stop, but they eventually go back to it. They do it with on another too and just laugh about it. My brother teases my sister endlessly about her stringy ends (she flat irons daily), but my sister also teases herself. They are crazy. :ohwell: They think it's funny to tease and don't mean to be hurtful. I am really the only one who takes their comments to heart, but my mom was not teasing, my hair was starting to smell like mildew from baggying. I thought I was getting a whif of bad smell, but I didn't think anything of it because I thought the coconut oil would overpower it. But I guess sometimes you just can't smell yourself.

It might be that the product does not agree with your body chemistry. Everyone has their own natural smell, and certain products will either enhance or diminish that smell. For example when I used to use all natural soaps on my body, I noticed afterward I would smell really bad, as if I didn't take a bath that day. I eventually stopped using them. I like Oyin handmade's Hair Dew. It smells sweet, like fresh baked cookies.

Last edited:
Researching, I would try the Hawaiin Silky as someone else suggested. It appears that your hair might like glycerin. Shea Moisture Mist is also very nice and isn't very greasy. It is more pricey but its one of the few things that actually moisturizes my hair.

If you have found something that works for you and you were able to grow your hair with it but just don't like the smell, then I would try to stay along the same product type line instead of branching out too far, at least initially.

Try Karen's Body Beautiful. Those scents are amazing. I like some of the HairVeda leave-in scents as well. Good luck.

Scurl moisturizer is mainly glycerin. You can buy some glycerin and mix it with water and buy some fragrance oils and make it smell how ever u want.

From APL to WL you say? The old PJ me would be asking you which one of the Profectivs you were using but .......:poke:......I'm reformed now :look:

Scurl moisturizer is mainly glycerin. You can buy some glycerin and mix it with water and buy some fragrance oils and make it smell how ever u want.

You are a genius! What an excellent idea. Glycerine is the second ingredient in s-curl. Profective is also glycerine based so you ladies are definiately making a valid point. Where can I buy glycerine? Can you give me some examples of fragrant oils and where I can buy them. Thanks

There's this one black hair site that specifically sells hair moisturizing perfume that has really aromatic scents I like. :grin:

It's helped me mask the harsh smell of Jamaican black castor oil pretty well and if anything people know when I walk by because they smell vanilla before they see me. But that's just because I put alot on also... :look::lol:

I'm looking for it now but when I find it, I'll post the link for ya OP. :yep:

I hope you find the site. Maybe I can add it to a glycerine water mixture. Thank you.

Dang, am I the only one that likes the smell of s-curl?? Lol. I think it smells good :3

Your sisters are being petty. Maybe they always thought your hair would be a certain length and look a certain way, but now that you have surpassed that perhaps they are a bit jealous?

Idk how well adding an essential oil to these products will help with the smell since I know that s-curl has a pretty distinct smell, but maybe you could give that a try? I feel that you shouldn't give up on your staples since they have worked so well for you. Hair perfume sounds like it would be the better option. I'm sorry that I don't have any recommendations :(

ESSENTIAL OILS (a list of essential oils from wikipedia)

Essential oils are volatile and liquid aroma compounds from natural sources, usually plants. Essential oils are not oils in a strict sense, but often share with oils a poor solubility in water. Essential oils often have an odor and are therefore used in food flavoring and perfumery. Essential oils are usually prepared by fragrance extraction techniques such as distillation (including steam distillation), cold pressing, or extraction (maceration). Essential oils are distinguished from aroma oils (essential oils and aroma compounds in an oily solvent), infusions in a vegetable oil, absolutes, and concretes. Typically, essential oils are highly complex mixtures of often hundreds of individual aroma compounds.

Agar oil or oodh, distilled from Agarwood (Aquilaria malaccensis). Highly prized for its fragrance.[1]
Ajwain oil, distilled from the leaves of Bishop’s weed (Carum copticum). Oil contains 35-65% thymol.[2]
Angelica root oil, distilled from the Angelica archangelica.[3]
Anise oil, from the Pimpinella anisum, rich odor of licorice, used medicinally.[4]
Asafoetida, used medicinally and to flavor food.
Balsam oil, from the Myroxylon pereirae.[5]
Basil oil is used in making perfumes, as well as in aromatherapy
Bay oil is used in perfumery; Aromatherapeutic for sprains, colds, flu, insomnia, rheumatism.
Bergamot oil, used in aromatherapy and in perfumes.
Black Pepper essential oil is distilled from the berries of Piper nigrum. The warm, soothing effect makes it ideal for treating muscle aches, pains and strains.
Buchu oil, made from the buchu shrub. Considered toxic and no longer widely used.[citation needed] Formerly used medicinally.
Birch is aromatheapeutic for gout, Rheumatism, Eczema, Ulcers.
Camphor is used for cold, cough, fever, rheumatism, and arthritis
Cannabis flower essential oil, used as a flavoring in foods, primarily candy and beverages. Also used as a scent in perfumes, cosmetics, soaps, and candles.[6]
Caraway oil, used a flavoring in foods. Also used in mouthwashes, toothpastes, etc. as a flavoring agent.[7]
Cardamom seed oil, used in aromatherapy and other medicinal applications. Extracted from seeds of subspecies of Zingiberaceae (ginger). Also used as a fragrance in soaps, perfumes, etc.[8]
Carrot seed oil (essential oil), used in aromatherapy.
Cedarwood oil, primarily used in perfumes and fragrances.[9]
Chamomile oil, There are many varieties of chamomile but only two are used in aromatherapy- Roman and German. Both have similar healing properties but German chamomile contains a higher level of azulin (an anti-inflammatory agent).
Calamus Root, used medicinally
Cinnamon oil, used for flavoring and medicinally.
Cistus species
Citronella oil, from a plant related to lemon grass is used as an insect repellent, as well as medicinally.
Clary Sage
Clove leaf oil, used as a topical anesthetic to relieve dental pain.
Coffee, used to flavor food.
Coriander
Costmary oil (bible leaf oil), from the Tanacetum balsamita[10][11]
Costus Root, used medicinally
Cranberry seed oil, equally high in omega-3 omega-6 fatty acids, primarily used in the cosmetic industry.
Cubeb, used medicinally and to flavor foods.
Cumin oil/Black seed oil, used as a flavor, particularly in meat products. Also used in veterinary medicine.
Cypress
Cypriol
Curry leaf, used medicinally and to flavor food.
Davana oil, from the Artemisia pallens, used as a perfume ingredient and as a germicide.[12]
Dill oil, chemically almost identical to caraway seed oil. High carvone content.
Elecampane, used medicinally.
Eucalyptus oil, historically used as a germicide. Commonly used in cough medicine, among other medicinal uses.[13]
Fennel seed oil, used medicinally, particularly for treating colic in infants.
Fenugreek oil, used medicinally and for cosmetics from ancient times.
Fir
Frankincense oil, used for aromatherapy and in perfumes.
Galangal, used medicinally and to flavor food.
Galbanum
Geranium oil, used medicinally, particularly in aromatherapy, used for hormonal imbalance, for this reason geranium is often considered to be "female" oil.
Ginger oil, used medicinally in many cultures.
Goldenrod
Grapefruit oil, extracted from the peel of the fruit. Used in aromatherapy. Contains 90% limonene.[14]
Henna oil, used medicinally.[15]
Helichrysum
Horseradish oil
Hyssop
Idaho Tansy
Jasmine oil, used for its flowery fragrance.
Juniper berry oil, used as a flavor. Also used medicinally, including traditional medicine.
Laurus nobilis
Lavender oil, used primarily as a fragrance. Also used medicinally.[16]
Ledum
Lemon oil, similar in fragrance to the fruit. Unlike other essential oils, lemon oil is usually cold pressed. Used medicinally, as an antiseptic, and in cosmetics.[17]
Lemongrass. Lemongrass is a highy fragrant grass from India. In India, it is used to help treat fevers and infections. The oil is very useful for insect repellent.
Lime, anti septic, anti viral, astringent, aperitif, bactericidal, disinfectant, febrifuge, haemostatic, restorative and tonic.[18]
Litsea cubeba oil, lemon-like scent, often used in perfumes and aromatherapy.
Mandarin
Marjoram
Melaleuca See Tea tree oil
Melissa oil (Lemon balm), sweet smelling oil used primarily medicinally, particularly in aromatherapy.
Mentha arvensis oil/Mint oil, used in flavoring toothpastes, mouthwashes and pharmaceuticals, as well as in aromatherapy and other medicinal applications.[19]
Mountain Savory
Mugwort oil, used in ancient times for medicinal and magical purposes. Currently considered to be a neurotoxin.[20]
Mustard oil (essential oil), containing a high percentage of allyl isothiocyanate or other isothiocyanates, depending on the species of mustard
Myrrh oil, warm, slightly musty smell. Used medicinally.
Myrtle
Neem oil or Neem Tree Oil
Neroli is produced from the blossom of the bitter orange tree.
Nutmeg
Orange oil, like lemon oil, cold pressed rather than distilled. Consists of 90% d-Limonene. Used as a fragrance, in cleaning products and in flavoring foods.[21]
Oregano oil, contains thymol and carvacrol, making it a useful fungicide. Also used to treat digestive problems.[22]
Orris oil is extracted from the roots of the Florentine iris (Iris florentina) and used as a flavouring agent, in perfume, and medicinally.[23]
Palo Santo
Parsley oil, used in soaps, detergents, colognes, cosmetics and perfumes, especially men’s fragrances.[24]
Patchouli oil, very common ingredient in perfumes.
Perilla essential oil, extracted from the leaves of the perilla plant. Contains about 50-60% perillaldehyde.
Pennyroyal oil, highly toxic. It is abortifacient and can even in small quantities cause acute liver and lung damage.[25]
Peppermint oil, used in a wide variety of medicinal applications.
Petitgrain
Pine oil, used as a disinfectant, and in aromatherapy.
Ravensara
Red Cedar
Roman Chamomile
Rose oil, distilled from rose petals, Used primarily as a fragrance.
Rosehip oil, distilled from the seeds of the Rosa rubiginosa or Rosa mosqueta. Used medicinally.
Rosemary oil, distilled from the flowers of Rosmarinus officinalis. Used in aromatherapy, topically to sooth muscles, and medicinal for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.[26]
Rosewood oil, used primarily for skin care applications. Also used medicinally.
Sage oil, used medicinally.

The spice star anise is distilled to make star anise oil Sandalwood oil, used primarily as a fragrance, for its pleasant, woody fragrance.[27]
Sassafras oil, from sassafras root bark. Used in aromatherapy, soap-making, perfumes, and the like. Formerly used as a spice, and as the primary flavoring of root beer, inter alia.
Savory oil, from Satureja species. Used in aromatherapy, cosmetic and soap-making applications.
Schisandra oil, from Schisandra chinensis, used medicinally.
Spearmint oil, often used in flavoring mouthwash and chewing gum, among other applications.
Spikenard, used medicinally.
Spruce has calming and elevating properties. It can be used as a topical application for muscular aches and pains, poor circulation, and rheumatism. Spruce Oil has also been used to improve breathing conditions of asthma, bronchitis, coughs, and general weakness. [28]
Star anise oil, highly fragrant oil using in cooking. Also used in perfumery and soaps, has been used in toothpastes, mouthwashes, and skin creams.[29] 90% of the world's star anise crop is used in the manufacture of Tamiflu, a drug used to treat influenza, and is hoped to be useful for avian flu
Tangerine
Tarragon oil, distilled from Artemisia dracunculus, used medicinally.
Tea tree oil, distilled from Melaleuca alternifolia, used medicinally. Being a powerful antiseptic, antibacterial, and antiviral agent, tea tree's ability to fight infection is second to none.
Thyme oil, used medicinally.
Tsuga belongs to the pine tree family. It is used as analgesic, antirheumatic, blood cleanser, and stimulant. It treats cough, respiratory conditions, kidney ailments, urinary infections. [30]
Turmeric, used medicinally and to flavor food
Valerian is used for insomnia, migraines, nervous dyspepsia, and dandruff.
Vetiver oil (khus oil) a thick, amber oil, primarily from India. Used as a fixative in perfumery, and in aromatherapy
Western red cedar
Wintergreen can be used as an analgesic, anodyne, anti rheumatic & anti arthritic, anti spasmodic, anti septic, aromatic, astringent, carminative, diuretic, emenagogue and stimulant [31]
Yarrow oil is used medicinally, to relieve joint pain
Ylang-ylang is used for calming, antiseptic, and aphrodisiac purposes, as well as hypertension and skin diseases. [32]
Zedoary, used medicinally and to flavor food

My hair is extremely dry and there's no way that I can get all the moisture I need from just deep conditioning. :ohwell:

Researching, the ONLY thing that's worked to keep my hair moisturized is Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk used as a moisturizer. I've gone THREE days without moisturizing, and my hair is still soft and happy. A miracle. I've NEVER been one of those people who could skip a day of moisturizing. I'd see people say things like "I moisturize every few days," and I'd be like "Couldn't be me. :perplexed "

So I'm pretty excited about this. My hair is FINALLY moisturized! Yaaaay! :pulpdance:

I've tried everything to moisturize, from AOHSR to Oyin to Qhemet, and NOTHING has done this for my hair.

The second best moisturizer I've tried is Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Lotion sealed with a heavy butter.

Both of these products smell great, and most important of all, WORK great.

Do you do HOTs? How often do you deep condition? Those can also help your hair retain more moisture.

ETA: Vanilla Silk lank :grin:
http://www.silkdreamshaircare.com/item_5/Vanilla-Silk-Cream-Moisture-Dream-8oz.16oz..htm

Last edited:
Op you can get glycerin from the drug store or wholefoods. And the oils are at wholefoods or any health food store. Lavender is a popular affordable one.

i second the "make your own" suggestion....you can buy rosewater and glycerin in a spray bottle and add some lavender oil to it if you want for a nice aroma.

i'm sorry your family teases you. :(

Back