I'm soooo tired of the salon

I think that you have to find a better stylist. I only had two experiences with the dominicans; but I knew that was not the place for me regularly. I don't know if you go to a dominican salon or not; but got that impression when you said they kept pressing you for a perm... (I ain't never had that happen in an AA salon) I love my stylist and we don't see eye to eye all the time; but she knows that I'm SERIOUS about my hair and embraces what I am trying to do. I think there has to be a good connection and understanding on both sides. I also don't mind telling her when I think she's doing something wrong while giving her the freedom to kind of do what she needs to do (not micromanage). I don't go in there looking for miracles and I know that she will do what she can to make me look good... I am her walking billboard.

The ultimate onus is on you though.. if you can't find a stylist that embodies your goals and gives you an end result that you're ecstatic with.. you just have to suck it up and practice practice styling your hair yourself.

aw im part of this group too!

Ever since i was a child i HATED the process of going to the salon, the shiny and somewhat silky(lol) hair was the only reasons why id go back.

Today if i need to do some work on my hair (relaxing, braiding etc.) i get a relative to do it.. so i dont feel too bad for bossing them around a little lol

And when you try at home and use the SAME products a stylist does and get dull results it IS frustrating! Wtf? Are they doing something else behind my back that i cant see??? :nono:

This is something that really needs to be investigated. I remember when I was going to one stylist in particular, my mother used to always say that my hair looked like it had been chemically processed--although all I used to do was get a press & curl every two weeks. I would tell her that my hair hadn't been chemically processed, but she would always say something about the stylist pouring neutralizing shampoo into the regular shampoo to "de-kink" the hair. I don't know how true this is (I never heard of this before she mentioned it), but it really does make you wonder how the results you acheive at home are so drastically different from those acheived in the salon. Perhaps they use a slightly different technique in the salon, but it's still one of those things that make you go, "hmm..."

Now, I must admit that I have gotten pretty good at self-relaxing. Here is what I did this last time and it came out perfect with lots of time to spare:

1) I relax my hair in two sections at a time. I part my hair from ear to ear and wrap up the back so no relaxer, shampoo or water gets on it.

2) I them make several 1/4 inch parts and keep them separated with hair clips that I bought from Sally's. (This here is KEY)

3) I then take each section and seal the already relaxed parts with vaseline and neutralizing shampoo.

4) I then start relaxing the front. I find that it only takes me 5 minutes to put in the relaxer because of the parts already being sectioned off.

5) I rinse out the relaxer for about 5 minutes. I then use my protein conditioner. Rinse. Wash with neutralizing shampoo and let it set for 5 minutes. Rinse. ACV. Rinse. Neutralize. Rinse. ACV. Rinse and final neutralizing shampoo. Rinse.

6) I then get out of the shower. Apply more neutralizing shampoo and leave it in.

7) I repeat steps 2-6 for the second half of my hair.

8) I apply a mixture of Joico reconstructor with hydrating balm and DC with heat.

9) 2-3 days later, I do a henndigo treatment.

I have tried this for the last 3 relaxers and I LOVE how my hair turns out. Not too thin.

HTH.

Now, if I can only find my way around a roller set ...

Thank you! I just rinted this out. I'm inspired. I think if I'm just patient and take my time I can save myself a lot of money and aggravation!:grin::grin:

Ok y'all. I am going to try this roller set thing one more time today. I will go really slowly. I will post a picture later today (maybe :rolleyes:)

Back