4a/b ladies, have you been able to achieve that swing???

Have you achieved the swing?

• I have a decent amount of swing...

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I got the swing, swang AND the bounce :)

Votes: 65 65.0%
  • Moveable hair just isnt happening for me :(

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters

BonBon

Have you got the swing, swang, bounce whatever you like to call it when straightened.

I never saw a Black woman with swinging hair till I started on this website and now I feel left out of of the loop:ohwell:

I tried the hot comb today and it left my hair soft and straight but ready for the wind machine, anyone else facing this problem:look:

Last edited:
Yes, I get the most swing when I rollerset my hair. The key for me is not to use much product. Only water and a leave-in and my hair is good to go!

Yes, I get the most swing when I rollerset my hair. The key for me is not to use much product. Only water and a leave-in and my hair is good to go!

:yep: This is me also. I can only get swing when I rollerset then wrap. But I have to use setting lotion or I will only have curls for a hot second...I tried to rollerset with only water and leave in, my hair looked like crap! :laugh:

it took me a while to get "swing" as i'm natural. i've found that the important thing is getting as much moisture sealed into my hair before flat ironing, and not using a lot of product during flat ironing.

i think i would like to try rollersetting next time though... :look:

I also got a lot of swing when I used to do rollersets. Now that I'm transistioning,I get lots of swing when my stylist straightens my hair.:yep:

Not me :nono:
My hair doesnt have enough weight to be bouncy. My hair can only get full of body & move if its windy, slighty if i walk.

And then it can be really coarse & dry if i dont use the right things. If i use little to no product like your supposed to, my hair looks more dull and doesnt feel as soft as i think it should--more dry & more rough ( i wish i could feel some peoples hair to see if mine is normal)
And the only product that does moisturize it is those w/glycerin, and lots of it
It can only look really sleek like everone else if i use lots of high heat like a blowdryer and flatiorn, then it has no body at all :nono:

I'll try a rollerset, but i doubt that will do to much. Thats why im transitioing. :yep: My natural hair is really silky and less dry, and i think it will actually be eaiser than relaxed hair.

Excuse this big picture, but this is exactly my type of hair when its straight:nono: This chick & me have about the same type of hair, but mine is way curleir then hers.

4lhx6vq.jpg

Last edited:
I think the most important thing about getting the swing and bounce is to get those roots! If your roots dry curly, shrunken, or stiff then your hair as a whole won't really move. I don't rollerset, but when I blowdry my hair is just stiff and thick...like a really thick pudding if that makes any sense. I go through it tiny section by section with a flat iron - I always leave it on my root for a few seconds, then then sweep it quickly down the length. If my roots aren't straight somewhere, then the length in that section won't move. Also I usually put it in a loose bun or twist when I'm down until it "calms" down. It flattens the cuticle and makes all the hair flow together so I don't get flyaways. It also looks really sleek and shiny when it's cooled. HTH

:yep: This is me also. I can only get swing when I rollerset then wrap. But I have to use setting lotion or I will only have curls for a hot second...I tried to rollerset with only water and leave in, my hair looked like crap! :laugh:

I have to use setting lotion to get the swang too.

Also, I swang right after the touch up and flat iron....at least for a few days.

My stylists gets me dummy swang. All my friends say she gets my hair "white girl straight." Even though my hair is very fine, when she flat irons it, it moves with absolutely no effort. I'm still trying to figure out how to get those same results at home though...

My stylists gets me dummy swang. All my friends say she gets my hair "white girl straight." Even though my hair is very fine, when she flat irons it, it moves with absolutely no effort. I'm still trying to figure out how to get those same results at home though...

ditto....I never knew my hair could do that until my stylist at the time acheived it....she did the whole blow dry, flat iron, saran wrap thing. Too bad my hair started thinning and breaking from going to her so I stopped. I havent been wearing it straight for a long time now to retain length/thickness...but my goal is to eventually learn to get those salon results at home.

ditto....I never knew my hair could do that until my stylist at the time acheived it....she did the whole blow dry, flat iron, saran wrap thing. Too bad my hair started thinning and breaking from going to her so I stopped. I havent been wearing it straight for a long time now to retain length/thickness...but my goal is to eventually learn to get those salon results at home.
I want my stylist to do the flat-iron saran wrap thing on me too. She said it's called a "shampoo set." Did you get more body with it? You think doing it that way was what was causing the damage?

To get that swing, that bounce, use little product and roller set. To get that EXTRA swing n bounce, the use of the steamer when deep conditioning helps tremendously for me.

Ohh and my hair get that extra bounce n swing when washed, blow dried 80% and flat ironed. I don't like this technique because of too much heat.

Before, only my hair stylist could get my hair to SWANG. I can do it at home now but not on the day I wash it. I have to wrap it, tie it down with a silk scarf and in the morning its bouncy and swinging.

I was even able to achieve this result 8 weeks post relaxer, I couldn't believe it - it was after using the Mizani Thermasmooth system. I didn't have my camera that day after wrapping but I'll be using it again and will be sure to post pics on my fotki.

I want my stylist to do the flat-iron saran wrap thing on me too. She said it's called a "shampoo set." Did you get more body with it? You think doing it that way was what was causing the damage?

no actually I think it was the relaxer she was using that jacked my hair up that time around. Im anti-salon now lol. Yes it had body, movement, and shine to the point people were just staring at my hair like they were trying to figure out if it was mine....I even got compliments in line at walmart lol.

no actually I think it was the relaxer she was using that jacked my hair up that time around. Im anti-salon now lol. Yes it had body, movement, and shine to the point people were just staring at my hair like they were trying to figure out if it was mine....I even got compliments in line at walmart lol.
Okay cool, I'ma have to get one now.;)

Always. My hair has never been deprived of the "swang".:nono: Like a PP mentioned, when doing my hair at home (rollerset), I just use leave-in and water. I seal my ends with oil. Obviously at the shop (wash, blow-dry & flat iron), I get super swing, but I don't do that very often.

My hair swings..when I first noticed it doing that it was funny. I felt it swoosh across my shoulders/upper back and I just smiled to myself and made it do it again purposely...lol and did it a few more times....'white girl style'...lol. Anyway, since I've learned to do my hair at home--rollerset/rollerwrap, the saran wrap treatment and the help of my Pibbs my hair has been bouncy and swingy. I also notice that the less product I use the better--for the rollersets..I can only use my leave in and a little coconut oil to seal..that's it. My hair doesn't like too much product at all.

Yes and I love it! :yep: I usually rollerset my hair and it gets bouncy, but when I get my Dominican blow outs or regular blow outs from the salon, I'm amazed by how much swing and bounce I achieve.

I have always had the swing. I always will have the swing. I am not satisfied with my hair unless and until I have the swing.

The biggest factor to having swing? Roots. If the roots aint right, the swing won't be right. I think someone mentioned this already.

Other factors: The type of product and how much and the actual straightening process.

Flat Iron I swear by: Jilbere.....there is no other;)

I achieve the swing pretty easily. I agree with the others about using minimal product on the hair and getting the roots straight. I'm on a 30-day no heat personal challenge right now, so I'm not swinging these day...but I'm loving my natural. Two weeks to go!

Me too, I voted that swang just isnt happening for me because I can't get that salon quality hair at home, even when I rollerset. :nono:

Mizani products give me that swing... especially their deep conditioners. The Fufyl and the Moisturefuse is really all I need. Read about them in my blog.\/\/\/\/

I get super swang and body, by using the right amount of Aveda products in the right order, and by getting my roots bone straight when pressing my hair.:yep:

I really think that deep conditioning and great product has helped me get that "swang" and that bounce. It has body and bounce whether I air-dry, flat iron, or rollerset:grin:! I've come a long way since I first began, My hair would stay stiff. When I pulled it up, it would stay that way :lachen:

Last edited:
Back