42.3% of African American women never

Valerie

have been married. I was looking at the trailer for Soulmate, you can also see it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULXlZeX7Evg.
Although the women blame that there are no quality men at their age group. I wonder if there are any hidden reasons for that. Some have gone on the say that their celebrity is a 'gift' from God. I would be curious to know your answers.

have been married. I was looking at the trailer for Soulmate, you can also see it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULXlZeX7Evg.
Although the women blame that there are no quality men at their age group. I wonder if there are any hidden reasons for that. Some have gone on the say that their celebrity is a 'gift' from God. I would be curious to know your answers.

Did you mean celibacy, not celebrity?

As for those women saying that, obviously, I can't speak on their situations, but I find that "most" women who say that do so after years of being single and just kinda of "give up" and "focus on the Lord."

I think it's a coping mechanism for the vast majority of women who say this, and I'm not really buying it.

If the right man showed up the next day and was ready to mary them, they'd lose that "gift" with a quickness!

As a little girl I never fantasized about a dream wedding. Never thought about who my husband might be. I just couldn't picture it. Maybe because I didn't have a positive role model of marriage (my divorced parents). I just thought I'd live with my mother forever just me and her and that's it.

I've never had a strong desire to get married. When I hit college I saw all the possibilities of what my life could be and I didn't want to be tied down ever. Now if my ex bf came back in the picture I'd be down the isle tomorrow.

Well I would say that some women are overly picky. I don't mean that you should settle but sometimes when you are SO specific about what you want, you will overlook a good man.

Some people are fine with being single but I don't think that's the case for the majority. You should enjoy your time as a single woman but still let it be known that you would like a mate and not mope around singing the "I can't find a man blues"

Yah!!...so that means 57.7% will!! That's the majority..so great news!!

I wonder if these "statistics" take into account the % of black women who do not want to marry..probably not.

Statistics schmatistics..if you wanna get married, pray on it, claim it, PLUS be open and be active..oh yea and be happy in the meantime..it will happen. Maybe not for everyone, but I truly believe for most who want it for their lives:yep:

Last edited:
Yah!!...so that means 57.7% will!! That's the majority..so great news!!

I wonder if these "statistics" take into account the % of black women who do not want to marry..probably not.

Statistics schmatistics..if you wanna get married, pray on it, claim it, PLUS be open and be active..oh yea and be happy in the meantime..it will happen. Maybe not for everyone, but I truly believe for most who want it for their lives:yep:
Let the church say Amen!:yep:

As a little girl I never fantasized about a dream wedding. Never thought about who my husband might be. I just couldn't picture it. Maybe because I didn't have a positive role model of marriage (my divorced parents). I just thought I'd live with my mother forever just me and her and that's it.

I've never had a strong desire to get married. When I hit college I saw all the possibilities of what my life could be and I didn't want to be tied down ever. Now if my ex bf came back in the picture I'd be down the isle tomorrow.

Your first sentence reminded me of a 20/20 episode I saw at least 10 years ago. The focus was on the media standards of beauty and its effects on ethnic girls. So there was a scene of a black girl playing with her barbies but what I found really interesting is that with the white barbie and ken she acted out a wedding scene in a a sing songy voice. Then she picked up the black barbie and ken and was like "When you gonna come get cho kids". I guess the producer didnt think that was worthy of analysing cause they went on to focus on how she felt about her thigh size.

I'm not surprised, but saddened. The majority of the men in my city aren't marriage material at all. There was a study by a local university that proved it.

I'm not surprised, but saddened. The majority of the men in my city aren't marriage material at all. There was a study by a local university that proved it.
And you're from PA?Why am I not suprised?:nono:Its really sad actually.I'm beginning to think it will never happen for me.

Your first sentence reminded me of a 20/20 episode I saw at least 10 years ago. The focus was on the media standards of beauty and its effects on ethnic girls. So there was a scene of a black girl playing with her barbies but what I found really interesting is that with the white barbie and ken she acted out a wedding scene in a a sing songy voice. Then she picked up the black barbie and ken and was like "When you gonna come get cho kids". I guess the producer didnt think that was worthy of analysing cause they went on to focus on how she felt about her thigh size.

:lachen:Ok that's not funny but it's funny. I'm going to hell for laughing at that but I think it's funny but sad at the same time. Man that's awful.

Thank you ladies for your responses. I did mean celibacy, thank you Bunny 77 and you are right, many of them use the gift as a coping mechanism. I have been observing how some of our women behave, on the one hand it is true that it is difficult to find quality men, maybe not sometimes in your area, but travel does broaden the horizons, also some of the ladies are not open to men, plus some are very miserable, not approachable. Some speak very negatively like 'I don't need a man and after saying that for some many years, they don't get one, many are disappointed. I have come to realise that what you put out, you will attract. I think being honest is very important, you have to sit down and have a talk with yourself about getting a husband and what qualities you want in a person, but you have to make sure you have them also.

Thank you ladies for your responses. I did mean celibacy, thank you Bunny 77 and you are right, many of them use the gift as a coping mechanism. I have been observing how some of our women behave, on the one hand it is true that it is difficult to find quality men, maybe not sometimes in your area, but travel does broaden the horizons, also some of the ladies are not open to men, plus some are very miserable, not approachable. Some speak very negatively like 'I don't need a man and after saying that for some many years, they don't get one, many are disappointed. I have come to realise that what you put out, you will attract. I think being honest is very important, you have to sit down and have a talk with yourself about getting a husband and what qualities you want in a person, but you have to make sure you have them also.

Beautiful! :thumbsup: 100% in agreement!

Back