3 Month "no Buy" Challenge

image.jpeg
I bought a hair steamer this evening. It was gently-used by someone who no longer wanted it bcause they wanted the roll away one instead. I couldn't pass up the deal.
So I'm Turning in my pass. (I was really trying to hold on to it for a Shea Mosture BOGO)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 360555
I bought a hair steamer this evening. It was gently-used by someone who no longer wanted it bcause they wanted the roll away one instead. I couldn't pass up the deal.
So I'm Turning in my pass. (I was really trying to hold on to it for a Shea Mosture BOGO)
If it's one that doubles as a face steamer you could keep your pass and call it a skincare purchase :sekret:

I want to replace a conditioner from Paul Mitchell but I've already decided I'm only using this line for when I straighten my hair.

So far I finished one bottle of my Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle. 4 more to go. Smh. I also finished one of my Tresemme conditioners. One more to go. Won't repurchase this. Almost done with my Nexxus Emergencee conditioner and I have one more left. This is a staple so I'm not in a rush to use it up. And I have 3 more shampoos to finish.

I have plenty of stuff to use during the next few months but I want to buy that Paul Mitchell conditioner so badly!

I have more items than i thought, smh. :spinning::badgirl:

Cleanser
Bentonite clay
SM African black soap poo
Mini SM JBCO poo
Eden coconut cowash (mainly DD uses it)
As I Am Cowash (mainly DD uses it)

Protein Cond./Treatments
Komaza care Protein sample
Aphogee 2 min
Claudie's Normaling conditioner sample
Alter Ego garlic masque- (almost empty/finish up

Moisture Cond.
SM High PomMasque
SM Manuka Honey Masque
SM 10 n 1 Masque (mainly DD uses it)
NaturelleGrow Herbal blends
NaturelleGrow Marshmallow sample

Leave-In/Moisturizers/Refreshers
Aphogee Green Tea Keratin
SM Raw Shea Reconstrucor conditioner
KCNT (mainly DD uses it)
Oyin Hair Dew

Styler
Camille Rose Almomd Jai
Curls Control paste
Argan oil Eco Styler (almost empty/finish up)
ORS Curl Pudding

Seeing this should really motivate me to No Buy through the end of the challenge.

Last edited:
Why oh why did I go to Amazon today? I almost forgot about this challenge. I was going to put the Nioxin scalp treatment in my basket and then I paused like "wait a minute".

@Prettymetty and @Aggie, I feel like Amazon pop-ups follow me all over while I'm on the internet!!! Even this site they will tag the last couple of things I've looked at recently and they will constantly pop-up or scroll on the screen. They are getting on my reserve nerve because I'm trying to behave! Amazon is normally at my door 3 or 4 times a week, the delivery guy thought I had been sick since he hasn't delivered anything the last 2 weeks. I was so embarrassed when he asked my husband...needless to say my husband is enjoying this challenge more than me but I will push through. Even though I can't order I have lots of things in my cart, just added the Shea Moisture hair color in both jet black and soft black - can't decide which would be better to cover these rude and ignant' gray hairs! Anybody used it before and can make a recommendation on which color?

@Prettymetty and @Aggie, I feel like Amazon pop-ups follow me all over while I'm on the internet!!! Even this site they will tag the last couple of things I've looked at recently and they will constantly pop-up or scroll on the screen. They are getting on my reserve nerve because I'm trying to behave! Amazon is normally at my door 3 or 4 times a week, the delivery guy thought I had been sick since he hasn't delivered anything the last 2 weeks. I was so embarrassed when he asked my husband...needless to say my husband is enjoying this challenge more than me but I will push through. Even though I can't order I have lots of things in my cart, just added the Shea Moisture hair color in both jet black and soft black - can't decide which would be better to cover these rude and ignant' gray hairs! Anybody used it before and can make a recommendation on which color?
Oooh, they follow me too but I disabled the folica one already and waiting for the others to raise their ugly heads.

I just realized that my Ion shampoo is sulfate free. My kids used all the clarifying poo so I need a shampoo for removing cones and buildup.

I got a $5 extrabuck from Cvs so technically I'm not spending any money. I'm torn between using my pass for shampoo or a new wig.

I just realized that my Ion shampoo is sulfate free. My kids used all the clarifying poo so I need a shampoo for removing cones and buildup.

I got a $5 extrabuck from Cvs so technically I'm not spending any money. I'm torn between using my pass for shampoo or a new wig.

But you can't technically "buy" something if you're not paying for it...

I'm used to finding excuses to get stuff :lol:

But you can't technically "buy" something if you're not paying for it...

I'm used to finding excuses to get stuff :lol:
I like the way you think:love5: As long as I'm not spending money it doesn't count. I'll let yall know what I decide to get. It probably won't be until early next week as I'm working the weekend

I use the jet black color from Shea Moisture every 3 to 6 months. I would highly recommend it. It will fade to a soft black over time so I would humbly suggest to get the jet black. I don't mind the fading..I think it looks more natural on me.

Gifts don't count!!! :lachen::lachen:

Valentine's Day, Mother's Day & my anniversery were filled with stuff I was restricted from buying. :drunk:

I've been gifted French rollers from France, spring candles from Bath & Body Works...and still have a $500 gift card from our anniversary last weekend. I wont use if for hair stuff though...I'm saving up for Maxwell's set at the Essence Music festival. It's gonna be a girls weekend! :drunk:

Still listing the things I want to buy and filling up online carts. Lol Can't wait until I use up all this stuff and the 3 months are over.

I'll restock Joico Moisture Recovery line fore weekly use. Buy the Paul Mitchell In stand Moisture line for when I straighten. Restock Aussie Moist for cowashing and restock Nexxus Emergencee conditioner for my light weekly protein. After this 3 months I hope I can behave and stick to my staples.

I use the jet black color from Shea Moisture every 3 to 6 months. I would highly recommend it. It will fade to a soft black over time so I would humbly suggest to get the jet black. I don't mind the fading..I think it looks more natural on me.

@lulu97, thanks for the info! When you first put it in is it more a blue/black? How long before you notice fading? Any issues with damage or curl loosening? Sorry for all the questions just don't want to do anything to cause a setback.

@lulu97, thanks for the info! When you first put it in is it more a blue/black? How long before you notice fading? Any issues with damage or curl loosening? Sorry for all the questions just don't want to do anything to cause a setback.

@Daina No worries as far as the questions! I'm always here to help and share my experiences. I should first start off by saying when I started using the SM jet black hair coloring system, I was a long term transitioner with blonde highlights (mostly in the bang and crown area) and my natural hair color without highlights....I would describe as dusty/sandy brown.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When I first decided to go darker, I used a semi-perm in jet black by Clariol yet it didn't last nor give me the coverage I wanted.

image.jpeg

So I decided to give Shea Moisture jet black a try and I haven't looked back since and it's been well over a year!

The first time I used it, my hair got super dark (to me)

downloadfile-1.jpg

image.jpeg
And then starting to fade into a soft black thereafter.

downloadfile-2.jpg
downloadfile-3.jpg

downloadfile-4.jpg

Once it settles (after 2 to 3 months, it kinda looks like this...well on my hair at least)

downloadfile-5.jpg

^^^^And there was absolutely zero change to my curl pattern. I feel my hair actually holds moisture better as well. Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions!

Oh and it takes around 2 months for the color to fade to a soft Black on my hair. I should mention that I do use a sulfate shampoo often which is the Joico Moisture recovery line...but in an effort to extend the life of my color, I have been alternating a sulfate free combo. At the moment, I'm alternating the Joico with the Enjoy luxury set (which is sulfate free)

Last edited:
@lulu97, thank you so much! I really appreciate you always being willing to share and give of yourself to help a sista out! Your hair is so beautiful and thank you for the delicious pics :drool:. I think I will definitely start with the jet black once the no buy is over unless I use it for my one pass next month.

I mentioned to Dh that I was going to Cvs to spend my $5 extra bucks and he went to his truck and got me another $5 extra buck (he had forgot about it ). I got a bottle of Loreal Smooth Intense shampoo and a few Wet and Wild cosmetics. Best thing is I didn't spend any of my money :happydance:

Back