2018 Hair Regimen Development: Design, Rationale, Revision, Reflection

I cowashed my hair today using No Tangles Conditioner from J&J. Rationale being: I needed to detangled and also my scalp was in need of a refresh.

I’m now applying As I Am So Much Moisture! Over top that same aforementioned conditioner and then topping that all with As I Am Double Buttercream. Rationale being: trying to properly moisturize and seal while incorporating Shea butter in some form without having to make it myself.

Regimen news

So, I just finished learning about how a month of Dubaidee4c's tweaked MHM regimen goes, after the initial clarify and Cherry Lola Caramel Treatment (CLCT) steps.

Basically, you:
  1. Clay wash and go (clay, spray, gel)
  2. Wear the wng a second day, refreshing if need be
  3. Wear the wng a third day, refreshing if need be
  4. Water wash and go (water-only wash, spray, gel)
  5. Wear the wng a second day, refreshing if need be
  6. Wear the wng a third day, refreshing if need be
  7. [Start pattern over]: Clay wash and go (clay, spray, gel)
  8. And so on . . .
Also, IIRC, if need be you do the CLCT (for protein and moisture).

:scratchchin: I'm going to try to try this. ( :grin: Sticking with the same old, same old for a month?!?? I'm going to try!!!)

To start, on water-only wash days, I will be using 22nd Natural Shampoo Bar. It's a sudsy shampoo that is a detangler and a conditioner. It leaves my hair in the most amazing shape. I can't see it thwarting max hydration at all, and its creator has used it to grow her hair and her children's hair to super lengths, so it shouldn't be problematic. :yep:

Last edited:
Today, I bought some new products!

They are:
SM Rehydration Treatment Masque
Taliah Waajid The Great Detangler
The Mane Choice Doesn’t Get Much Butter Than This

The second two are for M&S.

Now, I need to figure out this nightly routine. I can tell my hair has not absorbed all of the product I put on it today. So tonight I will spray with water to reactivate the products. I don’t know if I should seal with the Butter Than This or just coconut oil. I think this is why I’ve always struggled with M&S and nightly routines. I don’t know if I should reseal the product once it’s reactivated. Should I re-moisturize with more than just water. Or just leave it be idk idk idk

I ended up doing this last night: spritz hair with water to reactivate products. Then apply AIA DBC. I worked in sections and finger detangled and put each section in a twist and then clipped up the twist and slept with my bonnet on. My hair is still damp, but it’s smooth and soft. Normally my hair looks like a disaster when I wake up:spinning:

Rationale/Revelation: If I do this nightly, it means my hair will stay constantly detangled so I won't have to do it so often in the shower, and it will go easier when I do detangle in the shower.

Today, I might leave the twists in because they look fine. If not I will just bun but won’t add any more product.

Last edited:
Regimen news

So, I just finished learning about how a month of Dubaidee4c's tweaked MHM regimen goes, after the initial clarify and Cherry Lola Caramel Treatment (CLCT) steps.

Basically, you:
  1. Clay wash and go (clay, spray, gel)
  2. Wear the wng a second day, refreshing if need be
  3. Wear the wng a third day, refreshing if need be
  4. Water wash and go (water-only wash, spray, gel)
  5. Wear the wng a second day, refreshing if need be
  6. Wear the wng a third day, refreshing if need be
  7. [Start pattern over]: Clay wash and go (clay, spray, gel)
  8. And so on . . .
Also, IIRC, if need be you do the CLCT (for protein and moisture).

:scratchchin: I'm going to try to try this. ( :grin: Sticking with the same old, same old for a month?!?? I'm going to try!!!)

To start, on water-only wash days, I will be using 22nd Natural Shampoo Bar. It's a sudsy shampoo that is a detangler and a conditioner. It leaves my hair in the most amazing shape. I can't see it thwarting max hydration at all, and its creator has used it to grow her hair and her children's hair to super lengths, so it shouldn't be problematic. :yep:
I would say do this but instead of doing cherry lola, do your usual hydrolyzed protein treatment. My hair responded well to Cherry lola treatments and I didnt do them often. But over time they made my hair feel weird- like the strand would feel rough, instead of the smooth feel I was used to. If your hair is hi/po the baking soda/ vinegar combo may have a negative effect on your hair that you may creep up on you. Having done MHM for over a year (using pinke and dubaidee- I particularly loved her amendments, as references) I just wanna put that out there. x

I would say do this but instead of doing cherry lola, do your usual hydrolyzed protein treatment. My hair responded well to Cherry lola treatments and I didnt do them often. But over time they made my hair feel weird- like the strand would feel rough, instead of the smooth feel I was used to. If your hair is hi/po the baking soda/ vinegar combo may have a negative effect on your hair that you may creep up on you. Having done MHM for over a year (using pinke and dubaidee- I particularly loved her amendments, as references) I just wanna put that out there. x

:bighug:
Suuuuuuuuuuuper helpful! I can't thank you enough! Man!!!! Thank you for allowing me to benefit from your long experience, saving me from that potential headache!!!

This information is perfect! I'd rather not put egg on my head anyway, and I'd love to keep utilizing my Curl Junkie Repair Me, a new fermented rice DC that is on the way, etc.

:kiss:

For the past couple of days I’ve been rinsing my hair in the shower, and then applying my conditioner (J&J No Tangles conditioner), moisturizer (Taliah Waajid The Great Detangler) and sealer (The Mane Choice It Doesn’t Get Much Butter Than This). My hair has been so soft. I’m loving the Butter Than This.

Gonna wash and DC tonight and then do the above.

Need to make sure I stay consistent with this M&S routine because even tho I just implemented it I can already see changes. I’m so excited.

:bighug:
Suuuuuuuuuuuper helpful! I can't thank you enough! Man!!!! Thank you for allowing me to benefit from your long experience, saving me from that potential headache!!!

This information is perfect! I'd rather not put egg on my head anyway, and I'd love to keep utilizing my Curl Junkie Repair Me, a new fermented rice DC that is on the way, etc.

:kiss:

Aww you are so welcome. I'm happy to be of some help:). Your hair is beautiful and the progress you've been making really shows. Please keep it up!

After wearing my Bronner Brothers wash and go for 6 days, today I'm doing the following. I'll reflect once finished. :smile:
  • Detangling, conditioning cleanser: 22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar; finger detangling and KareCo Tangle Buster Brush
  • Deep conditioner: repurposed Sheaterra mud poo . . . 2 TBS of it in coconut milk . . . 45 minutes under bonnet dryer
  • Ends care and sealant: Jakeala Shea Amla Hair Parfait (peach scent)
  • Strengthening hydrator: CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Tea
  • Styler: The Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Pearly Braid Out Glaze
  • Style: 6 twists on each half (12 total) to a twist out (to preserve, will chunky retwist and band overnight as needed)

I didn’t get a chance to wash my hair last night because I was so tired. But this morning, my hair was still soft and so I just spray it with some water and applied some moisturizer and sealed. I didn’t section my hair; just applied to the surface. My hair is super soft but not greasy (which is how my hair has been the past few days with M&S). I skipped it last night so maybe that’s why.

I believe in the idea that I should be constantly hydrating and moisturizing my hair so that I’m not chasing moisture once my hair gets dry, so I will be washing today. I am also worried about build up.

I need to come up with some sort of pattern for doing my hair; some sort of schedule.

Something like wash with shampoo. Cowash a couple days later. Then another shampoo. Maybe water rinsing instead of cowashing and then cowashing on that second shampoo. Idk yet.

After wearing my Bronner Brothers wash and go for 6 days, today I'm doing the following. I'll reflect once finished. :smile:
  • Detangling, conditioning cleanser: 22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar; finger detangling and KareCo Tangle Buster Brush
  • Deep conditioner: repurposed Sheaterra mud poo . . . 2 TBS of it in coconut milk . . . 45 minutes under bonnet dryer
  • Ends care and sealant: Jakeala Shea Amla Hair Parfait (peach scent)
  • Strengthening hydrator: CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Tea
  • Styler: The Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Pearly Braid Out Glaze
  • Style: 6 twists on each half (12 total) to a twist out (to preserve, will chunky retwist and band overnight as needed)

Is this product new to you? What do you think of it?

Is this product new to you? What do you think of it?

Hi, lady! It's brand new to me. I was looking for it when I saw you at Sally's. Lol. Right now it's only at Walmart. With no seal on the jar. :(

I just did my first twist out with it. I really like it. I have shine and definition, sturdiness, yet softness. No crunch. Yet I think I might be able to get 5 or so days out of it.

This might be my best twist out ever. I will not be needing to order the Curl Origin twisting product.

Attachments

• IMG_20180403_111306-1224x1632.jpg
    IMG_20180403_111306-1224x1632.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180403_112307-1224x1632.jpg
    IMG_20180403_112307-1224x1632.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20180403_112301-1224x1632.jpg
    IMG_20180403_112301-1224x1632.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180403_111259-1224x1632.jpg
    IMG_20180403_111259-1224x1632.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 18
I don’t think finger detangling is a good option for my hair right now. I lose the same amount of hair as when I use my Wet Brush, but finger detangling takes way longer to do.

Last edited:
I don’t think finger detangling is a good option for my hair right now. I lose the same amount of hair as when I use my Wet Brush, but finger detangling takes way longer to do.

Lately I have been pre-detangling, that is, taking something slippery and using my fingers to elongate, separate, de-web, de-knot my hair before picking up any kind of tool. Then, once I can rake my fingers through a section without my fingers getting stuck, only then do I take my tool (usually my KareCo Tangle Buster Brush) through the section.

What the Kink demonstrates the process in the video below. She also shows how she turns the brush VERTICAL and then pulls it through her hair.

I used this method last wash day, predetangling and detangling with the 22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar from moorket.com. I didn't need a prepoo. Brush just slid on through my hair with JUST that slippery shampoo bar in my hair. And I lost sooooooo littttttttle hair!!! Yes!

The "peel and shingle" finger detangling method changed my whole finger detangling life. :smile:

The "harp" finger detangling method is also critical in my process.

Lately I have been pre-detangling, that is, taking something slippery and using my fingers to elongate, separate, de-web, de-knot my hair before picking up any kind of tool. Then, once I can rake my fingers through a section without my fingers getting stuck, only then do I take my tool (usually my KareCo Tangle Buster Brush) through the section.

What the Kink demonstrates the process in the video below. She also shows how she turns the brush VERTICAL and then pulls it through her hair.

I used this method last wash day, predetangling and detangling with the 22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar from moorket.com. I didn't need a prepoo. Brush just slid on through my hair with JUST that slippery shampoo bar in my hair. And I lost sooooooo littttttttle hair!!! Yes!

The "peel and shingle" finger detangling method changed my whole finger detangling life. :smile:

The "harp" finger detangling method is also critical in my process.

I’m gonna have to check these vids out! Thanks. :)

Someone recently told me that I talk in circles, so if I repeat myself from other posts in this thread, I’m sorry lol.

Okay.

Last night I shampoooed my hair.
SM ALMOND MILK AND ARGAN OIL
It makes my hair really soft. Probably the softest I’ve ever experienced with a shampoo that I can remember. This is a keeper.

Afterwards I conditioned and attempted to detangled. This is a two pronged analysis.
EVERYONE NOURISH CONDITIONER
This made my hair soft and smells great. I will continue to use this.
My other go-to conditioner will be the NO TANGLES CONDITIONER

I tried finger detangling. Didn’t work out well. I got one side of my hair done and realized it was taking too much time. My Wet Brush is just more effective and I don’t feel like it damages my hair. I’m just going to keep up with this method. BRUSHING TO DETANGLE

Then I applied my DC which was a mixture of the SM Rehydration Treatment and the Mielle Organics Mint Conditioner. I diluted this with water. It left my hair soft. I won’t say that these two products are keepers just yet, but the method of mixing DCs and diluting them with water is (I have too much hair and am too heavy handed to not figure out how to stretch the use of a DC).

I DCed overnight on account of my blow dryer not working, so I couldn’t use my softhooded dryer. I don’t really think overnight DCing is incredibly effective for me, but it’s better than not DCing at all. I don’t know if I’ll buy another blow dryer or just what until I go home this summer and will have access to my other one.

In summary for DCing: gonna continue mixing and diluting and ultimately want to reincorporate heat.

Post DC routine. So this is fairly easy because I’m not big on styling my hair. I just throw it in a bun every day which means after I DC all I have to do is M&S and twist my hair up for it to dry. Then I can take the twists down and wear a twist out bun.

Product wise, I am only just starting to explore the world of moisturizers. So far I have As I Am So Much Moisture and Taliah Waajid The Great Detangler. I like TGD better because it’s a creamy consistency whereas the SMM is very watery and also I feel like it’s a little bit sticky. I’m going to use both of them up, while also just keeping my eye out for others. I’m not disappointed with these two so far.

Sealant wise, I am on the Shea train :ninja: but I don’t use DIY mixes. I’m currently testing out the As I Am Double Buttercream and The Mane Choice It Doesn’t Get Much Butter Than This. I’m really liking the Butter Than This because of its texture and how many uses I feel I can get out of the product and it smells amazing. The Double Buttercream I feel is a bit too creamy and not as heavy and oily as the Butter Than This. I also feel like I use more product and won’t get as many uses out of it. It also doesn’t smell as good as the Butter Than This. Both leave my hair feeling soft though.

A thought on M&S. So I’m new to this aspect of my haircare regimen. The past week or so I’ve beem doing it, I’ve done it on hair that’s more damp/closer to dry hair. It seems to work fine that way. Today, I M&S on hair that was closer to wet. I’m curious to see what the difference will be.

And also need to make sure at night I M&S and put my hair up.

TL;DR I’m getting myself together lol.

Last edited:
I watched two of the detangling videos posted above. I basically do what the first woman in the blue top does when I finger detangle. I’m going to try holding my brush vertically like her and see what difference that makes. I actually dont have any problems detangling with my Wet brush but I wonder if this will somehow be even easier.

I watched two of the detangling videos posted above. I basically do what the first woman in the blue top does when I finger detangle. I’m going to try holding my brush vertically like her and see what difference that makes. I actually dont have any problems detangling with my Wet brush but I wonder if this will somehow be even easier.

And please don't get me wrong: I think you know your hair and know better than just about anyone whether you should finger detangle only, use the Wet brush, or do some combination of methods.

I just wanted to share those videos because for the longest time I went back and forth over whether I should (1) finger detangle only to maximize retention and minimize mechanical damage OR (2) use a tool because it's more thorough and prevents 2-hour, not-even-very-thorough (finger) detangling sessions. Watching those videos improved my finger detangling and tool detangling . . . but they did not convince me to only finger detangle. :look:

I fiiiiiiiinally settled upon using a tool once a week (that is, on my weekly full wash day). I decided to use only my fingers if I somehow end up needing to detangle before next wash day. My reasoning: I used my Wet Brush, KareCo Tangle Buster Brush, combs, etc. all year one year . . . and my hair was just fine when I go my end-of-the-year flat iron to check the health and length of my hair. :yep:

If I only ever finger detangle, it's not sufficient for my coils. I end up with shed hair STILL in my hair . . . and knots STILL in my hair . . . and over time it builds and builds and turns into a disaster that causes more and more tangling faster and faster.

I thought the Wet Brush was amazing until I encountered the genius, ever-so-lovely-and-amazing KareCo Tangle Buster Brush. :yep: I'm so grateful for that brush, and I bought a back up just in case mine breaks and they stop making it. I probably need to go ahead and buy 2 more.

:nono: This fickle black hair care industry got me stategizing with all sorts of stategery. :nono: :smile:

And please don't get me wrong: I think you know your hair and know better than just about anyone whether you should finger detangle only, use the Wet brush, or do some combination of methods.

I just wanted to share those videos because for the longest time I went back and forth over whether I should (1) finger detangle only to maximize retention and minimize mechanical damage OR (2) use a tool because it's more thorough and prevents 2-hour, not-even-very-thorough (finger) detangling sessions. Watching those videos improved my finger detangling and tool detangling . . . but they did not convince me to only finger detangle. :look:

I fiiiiiiiinally settled upon using a tool once a week (that is, on my weekly full wash day). I decided to use only my fingers if I somehow end up needing to detangle before next wash day. My reasoning: I used my Wet Brush, KareCo Tangle Buster Brush, combs, etc. all year one year . . . and my hair was just fine when I go my end-of-the-year flat iron to check the health and length of my hair. :yep:

If I only ever finger detangle, it's not sufficient for my coils. I end up with shed hair STILL in my hair . . . and knots STILL in my hair . . . and over time it builds and builds and turns into a disaster that causes more and more tangling faster and faster.

I thought the Wet Brush was amazing until I encountered the genius, ever-so-lovely-and-amazing KareCo Tangle Buster Brush. :yep: I'm so grateful for that brush, and I bought a back up just in case mine breaks and they stop making it. I probably need to go ahead and buy 2 more.

:nono: This fickle black hair care industry got me stategizing with all sorts of stategery. :nono: :smile:

I’m going to look up this brush. I feel the same way about tools versus using my fingers. I am also just realizing that this past week as I was M&S, I was simultaneously finger detangling as I applied products. I had no issues with this because I had brushed my hair after washing and had been keeping my hair twisted up and moisturized. My hair was smooth, soft, and had little opportunity to get tangled. This is why I need to be diligent in my M&S routine because I know I can utilize finger detangling with no problems post-wash day. It’s just on wash day that I think I will utilize my brush.

Why are my posts always so long lol.

I’m going to look up this brush. I feel the same way about tools versus using my fingers. I am also just realizing that this past week as I was M&S, I was simultaneously finger detangling as I applied products. I had no issues with this because I had brushed my hair after washing and had been keeping my hair twisted up and moisturized. My hair was smooth, soft, and had little opportunity to get tangled. This is why I need to be diligent in my M&S routine because I know I can utilize finger detangling with no problems post-wash day. It’s just on wash day that I think I will utilize my brush.

Why are my posts always so long lol.

Because you are thinking things through and working things out. No worries, sis! It's 100% fine.

My posts are generally too long. I know this and am working on it. But . . . life is too short for me to worry about always trying to not be myself everywhere . . . even when I'm typing.

I have been using the spoiler tags to try to keep my posts from taking up too much real estate. :smile: It hides some of my text inside of spoiler tags, and folks can just scroll on by much faster instead of seeing a whole bunch of my text. I feel like that's a healthy balance?!?? :look:

Works like a dream! :supergrin:

Last edited:
Because you are thinking things through and working things out. No worries, sis! It's 100% fine.

My posts are generally too long. I know this and am working on it. But . . . life is too short for me to worry about always trying to not be myself everywhere . . . even when I'm typing.

I have been using the spoiler tags to try to keep my posts from taking up too much real estate. :smile: It hides some of my text inside of spoiler tags, and folks can just scroll on by much faster instead of seeing a whole bunch of my text. I feel like that's a healthy balance?!?? :look:

Works like a dream! :supergrin:

How do you make a spoiler?

TO MAKE A SPOILER . . .
  1. TYPE a "start spoiler" tag,
  2. then type what you want to write,
  3. then type an "end spoiler" tag.
  4. *** You can also change what is written on the spoiler button.
EXAMPLE :
NOTE: If you click on the image below, it will enlarge for clearer text. :smile:

upload_2018-4-4_18-27-9.png

That brush looks interesting. I will keep it in mind for my next haircare shopping venture.

There was a very slight learning curve to the brush. I use it starting at my ends and work my way up. Also, when I start at my ends. I hold my ends taught with one hand, and then use the brush kind of like a pick at the ends. Once I have successfully picked out my ends with the brush, I move the brush up the section and proceed from there.

Another natural on this board does this as well! I thought I was the only one. :smile:

I'm sure not everyone need use it that way, but that's what works for me for very minimal hair loss and for fast detangling with lower mechanical damage. I love the give in that brush. It's an excellent design.

My hair:
It's 4a, thick, medium strand. I am about 1 inch above waist length.

My regimen:
Every 12 to 4 weeks: Relax for 15 mins with affirm. I like to have some texture in my hair but not so much that it tangles.
Every 6 weeks: An Olaplex treatment, I use 1 &2.
Every 4 weeks: Aphogee 2 step followed by a moisturizing treatment under the streamer. I realized recently that my hair loves protein.
Every 10-14 days: Wash, deep conditione and rollerset. After two to three days, I start my moisturizing /growth routine.
Every day: Spray scalp with Xcel21, massage my scalp, use Scurl as a moisturizer from root to tip, then coat the hair in shea butter and bun. Xcel 21 actually increases growth, and the Scurl / shea butter mixture is excellent as it moisturizes and detangles. I've gotten very few new split ends since doing this and breakage is almost 0 (for me that's a maximum of 10 to 15 broken strands a day).

If Olaplex comes out with a relaxer, I am buying it. Apart from that I really don't see myself changing anything in my regimen.
I might add some ayurvedic herbs to my shea butter but that's it. I don't have much time to dedicate to my hair so this works great for me.

Your hair looks amazing in your avatar!! GOALS!!

Back