Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

Does anyone have an alternative to mielle pomegranate coil custard? I like the product but the smell is too much. I want something unscented or low scented.
Cantù has a custard I might try, but nothing else out there like it. Big Poppa gel (The Doux) gives my child similar results, but not does provide the soft cast that Mielle provides. Mielle custard seems to be the best. (I hate to say it) It works well on my hair.

Today is the first wash n go I’ve done in 2 months. I used various leave-in conditioners and miche gel to foam mousse. I think I like the results on damper hair with more based leave-ins. I didn’t towel dry my hair this time.

On the left side of the picture, I applied product right out of the shower. I used mostly serums and spray leave-ins. The very back I use a lotion like leave-in. I see less shine, more puffiness and more shrinkage. However, it feels significantly lighter than the other side.

One the right side of the pic, I applied product on my hair about 15 minutes after air drying. I have more elongation, definition and shine. The used the same lotion leave-in as the left side along with other ones. They seemed to condition the hair better and provided more weight. My hair feels softer.

This process drastically increases both styling and drying time compared to mousse used alone. It took about 30 mins to style vs 15 mins. It took about 45 to hr to dry vs 15 mins. However, it’s not as gruesome as waiting for my hair to dry with gel in it. I also have way more shine and there were no snags or tangles when applying the mousse.
IMG_1698.jpeg

I used Mielle’s Pom and Honey leave-in and mousse back during Labor Day weekend. It took about the same amount of time to apply and dry my hair. The leave-in helped tremendously with slip. I have no idea about longevity because I went swimming the next morning. I also stretched the roots out some to get better volume.
IMG_20230902_175110906_HDR.jpeg

I really hope this will work over night. It would be even better if it can last a few days. This might be the answer to my wash n go woes.

Today is day 3 of my wash n go with leave-in. I've been putting my hair up at night in a buff to maintain the style. Its obvious that the weighed down side is behaving better over time. Beyond looks, I noticed that the fluffier side keeps catching on things. This makes my decision to start using heavier leave-in products under mousse a no brainer.

I won't have time to do my hair until Wednesday. I'm hoping this can last until then. I don't want to put myself in a situation where I will experience extreme tangling due to my hair puffing up and having no definition.

What surprises me the most is that leave-in doesn't seem to effect the hold of mousse/foam as much as it does gel.

IMG_1719.jpegIMG_1713.jpegIMG_1718.jpeg

I have been missing out… all this time, I have been doing my daughter’s wash & go/twistouts by layering leave-in creams, shea butter mixes, Eco Style gel, etc. We get at most 3 days, and then I usually have to restyle, with a twistout. A few weeks ago, she won a jar of Mielle Coil Sculpting Custard. I used it by itself in her hair this past wash, nothing else. We’ve barely had to do anything to her hair this week, just the tiniest spritz of water/aloe vera to refresh. I’m so late to it, but this product is amazing. I’ve always shied away from these kinds of products because they’re relatively expensive, and the jars/bottles are small, but I am definitely rethinking things. I haven’t tried it on my own hair yet, but if it works equally well, I just may convert. :lol:

I keep going back and forth between wearing my hair straight and wearing it in a wash and go. Right now, I'm in wash n go mode. The last wash n go I used Tresemme Keratin Leave-in lotion and The Doux Mousse Def. My hair felt crunchy like easter basket grass even though the leave-in provided great slip. It softened up some after a while. I at first slept with a My Mauves satin head wrap It distorted the shape but easily laid back down properly after the steam hit it from the shower. Then I just slept without anything on my hair for a few days. This is the result of 5 days with that combo.
IMG_2346.jpegIMG_2347.jpeg

I just washed my hair this morning. I used Johnson's Kids curl defining leave-in conditioner and Bronner Brothers Foam Moisturizing Wrapping Lotion. The Johnson's leave-in conditioner has some weight to it and actual defining properties. It wasn't white in my head either. I avoided putting too much on like I would if I were using it as a solo styler. I might have still used too much. I chose the BB foam wrapping lotion because the holding ingredient is polyquarternium 55. Its not like the rest of those polyquat 55 foaming mousses. It's not sticky at all. It has great slip on its own. It felt like a polyquaternium 11 mousse. I cant say if the hold and definition is from the mousse or the leave-in. I might try this wrapping lotion by itself or with something lighter. Overall, my hair is very soft. I’m not sure if it is going to last that long, but we shall see.

IMG_2348.jpegIMG_2349.jpegIMG_2350.jpeg

I have been missing out… all this time, I have been doing my daughter’s wash & go/twistouts by layering leave-in creams, shea butter mixes, Eco Style gel, etc. We get at most 3 days, and then I usually have to restyle, with a twistout. A few weeks ago, she won a jar of Mielle Coil Sculpting Custard. I used it by itself in her hair this past wash, nothing else. We’ve barely had to do anything to her hair this week, just the tiniest spritz of water/aloe vera to refresh. I’m so late to it, but this product is amazing. I’ve always shied away from these kinds of products because they’re relatively expensive, and the jars/bottles are small, but I am definitely rethinking things. I haven’t tried it on my own hair yet, but if it works equally well, I just may convert. :lol:
I swear that Mielle Coil Sculpting Custard was my gateway into wearing wash and goes. I never had to use it with anything else and it was love at first use. I still enjoy using it.

If push comes to shove, you can pick up those sample packets at dollar general and family dollar. That’s how I even got around to trying it.

I always heard people complain about it not having enough hold. That is total dependent on how wet your hair is. So if you find it doesn’t last long when you try it on your hair, then use it on wet hair instead of soaking wet hair.

I have like 3 jars and I use a foam, so that helps with stretching the product. I use it on me and my two teens. But a little plus water goes a long way. It takes a lot for us to go through one jar. The Mielle mousse is ok, I like that on one kid, but I use other foams.

Hey my wash n go beauties. I’m coming up on three years of being loc’d. I miss coming in here seeing all your beautiful wash n goes. I love having Locs though. I’ll have come in here more often.

@GettingKinky @faithVA

Hiiii ladies!!! I know I drop in and out of here, but wanted to say hi and see how you both are doing.

I’m doing well! My son is 20 months and we’re expecting a baby girl in October.

My hair is a hot mess just from being busy, but it’s still growing. I’ve been washing it with it’s a 10 shampoo, using a deep conditioner from AAVRANI (available at Sephora) and either doing a wash and go with Jell-O shot or just leaving the conditioner in my hair. Then I bun for… weeks (yuck I know) and do it all over again. Trying to wear my head down again to protect my edges. We’ll see.

Posting a photo from my haircut disaster in December 2021, and todays conditioner only wash and go.

Or… I will once I remember how to upload photos.

@GettingKinky @faithVA

Hiiii ladies!!! I know I drop in and out of here, but wanted to say hi and see how you both are doing.

I’m doing well! My son is 20 months and we’re expecting a baby girl in October.

My hair is a hot mess just from being busy, but it’s still growing. I’ve been washing it with it’s a 10 shampoo, using a deep conditioner from AAVRANI (available at Sephora) and either doing a wash and go with Jell-O shot or just leaving the conditioner in my hair. Then I bun for… weeks (yuck I know) and do it all over again. Trying to wear my head down again to protect my edges. We’ll see.

Posting a photo from my haircut disaster in December 2021, and todays conditioner only wash and go.

Or… I will once I remember how to upload photos.
:wave: You have to be wrong. How can your baby be 20 months? You were just pregnant with him last year.

Congratulations on your upcoming new addition.

I'm sure your hair is still jaw dropping.

I don't have kids or an excuse and I'm probably doing less with my hair than you.

Its wonderful that you dropped in to say hi.

Hey y'all! Been a while since I've been on here, and I've very much missed learning from y'all and seeing the great wash-n-go's y'all post. I've been spending this year primarily in protective styles in order to grow my hair back from a really bad curly cut, but I wear my hair in wash-n-go's in between the braids/locs. Can't wait to get back to wearing my hair out full-time!

Unrelated, but it looks like Adwoa Beauty is releasing a new mousse/foam soon? Sephora Link

I'm only seeing it on Sephora (I'm assuming it's a pre-release page for now?), but nothing on their website or IG. Anyone heard anything about this?

I really like the rest of their products, and the Melonberry gel works very well for my wash-n-go's, so I'm very curious about this mousse (if it's even real lol).

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 1.52.05 PM.png

Hey y'all! Been a while since I've been on here, and I've very much missed learning from y'all and seeing the great wash-n-go's y'all post. I've been spending this year primarily in protective styles in order to grow my hair back from a really bad curly cut, but I wear my hair in wash-n-go's in between the braids/locs. Can't wait to get back to wearing my hair out full-time!
I'm going the same thing. The curly cut looked nice but she took so much of the back that I needed to let it grow out. And now that it's been so long in the grow out stage, I'm having a hard time getting back to wash and goes.

Looking forward to seeing your curls.

I'm going the same thing. The curly cut looked nice but she took so much of the back that I needed to let it grow out. And now that it's been so long in the grow out stage, I'm having a hard time getting back to wash and goes.

Looking forward to seeing your curls.
Sorry to hear that that happened to you too! It's so frustrating because it's so much progress gone with one mistake. I'm happy to hear that you're getting back to where you were.

Thanks for the encouragement! And I understand what you mean about being in the grow out stage too long. On my end, I'm becoming too used to barely thinking about my hair - just a wash and spritz/mousse every two weeks. I think I'm going to likely start with simple curl cream and mousse combos when I go back so that my wash days are extremely short. And I think I've figured out how to get 4-5 days' worth of hold from that combo anyway.

What's your blocker right now? Anything that would be helpful to chat about? :)

Sorry to hear that that happened to you too! It's so frustrating because it's so much progress gone with one mistake. I'm happy to hear that you're getting back to where you were.

Thanks for the encouragement! And I understand what you mean about being in the grow out stage too long. On my end, I'm becoming too used to barely thinking about my hair - just a wash and spritz/mousse every two weeks. I think I'm going to likely start with simple curl cream and mousse combos when I go back so that my wash days are extremely short. And I think I've figured out how to get 4-5 days' worth of hold from that combo anyway.

What's your blocker right now? Anything that would be helpful to chat about? :)
Just chatting about it might be motivating. Maybe :lol:

My blockers are laziness first. I know how my hair will turn out with my protective styles. My styling a wash and go is always a crap shoot. And the back of my hair is too short just to easily salvage a wash and go.

I bought big bottles of conditioner, gel and mousse last year but haven't done a wash and go since.

How about you? Blockers?

Miche Tropical Oasis Gel

The company claims it’s great on its own without the need of pairing with other stylers. I bought it and used it not knowing what to expect.

I got the BEST wash and go ever so far since I tried the MHM.

I washed and conditioned with Miche products (also used for the first time) and then only used that gel.

I usually use UFD plus ICH and maybe too with Papaya Slip or one of the Innersense creams.

But this singular product has given me strong individual coil definition, MOVEMENT (WHICH I’VE NEVER HAD BEFORE!!!), softness, and moisture. My hair looks great from 1 product. I wear wash n goes all the time to work and I’ve been getting so many compliments even though my hair usually looks like this (not THIS defined) but close.

This gel is expensive but considering it would save me money from not buying ICH and UFD, I think it evens out. Plus a little goes a very very long way. I was worried about going through the small jar too quickly, but I used the tiniest bit and a lot of water for each section and added small bits more if needed.

I’m on day 3 hair and will try again tomorrow and see if it produces the same results.

In an effort to finish up hair products, I found one of the best product combos. I’ve used this combo for almost 2 months. It’s ORS Curl Show Leave-In Gel topped with ORS Curl Show Curl Creator. I have even tried glazing All About Curls High Definition Gel over it.

PROS & CONS
The Pros: I get shine. I get movement. I get root definition. I can do an updo, then take it out and still have my hair lay back down. I can get rained on or dunk my hair in a sandbar and it does not get destroyed. It also stays soft. I can sleep however and wake up to decent looking hair.

The Cons: My hair starts off relatively flat and stays that way. It lasts only about 5 days to a week. After that, the gel breaks down rapidly and disgustingly. It turns white and almost buggery. It starts off looking like bad dandruff and then the length will start looking the same way. Then it stops being flowy.

INDIVIDUAL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION
The ORS Leave-in Gel has weight and is kind of greasy. It doesnt have enough weight on wet to damp hair to give none puffy curl definition. So I’ve never used it alone. It goes on almost white, but dries clear.

The ORS Curl Creator has great slip. It reminds me of a custard. The curls look decent, but for some reason I never wanted to grab for it more often when using it on its own. It also dries firm and kind of crispy by itself.

The styling technique I use is raking. Finger curling looks unnatural on my hair because I honestly have more of a tight wave (S to 5 pattern) vs actual curls or coils. I also hover diffuse my ends and sit under a hooded dryer for the roots. I honestly feel like hover diffusing dries the hair faster. Drying the hair 70% to 85% gives more hang vs drying 100%

Overall, I’m highly impressed. It reminds me of the look I get with Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Hold It Styling Gel, but without the stiffness. I could never get the Hold It Styling Gel to keep the shine with more slippery products underneath it. My SIL said it was like a curly silk press because it has so much swing to it. LOL Better yet, the products are affordable and easily accessible. I’ve recently started seeing the ORS Curl Show line at Family Dollar.

I’m just impressed by how modern textured hair products work these day. A decade ago, hair buggers and flakes were a constant threat when it came to mixing leave-ins and creams with gel like products. It has me wondering if this was why not so long ago BGC was suggesting not to use leave-ins.

His hair looked very shiny this morning. Soft and plump feeling. Only a few spots had product still on it because I couldn’t get him to sit under the dryer too long.

I definitely will use it again this weekend and sit him under the dryer earlier. I’ll see how he looks after school today

Back