2017 Collagen Challenge...! Let's Grow!

)Take a starting pic of your hair (post the current length, what your challenge goal length and your ultimate goal length) - Shoulder length
2)Take YOUR preferred collagen daily (I will post a link to the one that I use and the Vitamin c that I mix it with) - Marine Collagen - Green Lakes Gelatin
3)PROTECT YOUR HAIR (baby your ends)- Collagen is going to work from the inside-out so you do still have to care and protect your hair. Low manipulation styles and protective style are encouraged, but do what you can and what is best for you. You know your hair. - WNG low manipulation for me - Will spray my ends daily with a glycerin/water mixture and crunch the ends with oil
4) Oil your scalp/ perform scalp massages- No doubt, oiling your scalp has proven beneficial for the majority of the women in here but if you are one of the ones whose scalp does not fare well with any type of oils on it, just massage your scalp. Get the sebum from the follicles rubbed all around your scalp and get those follicles stimulated. NeKeShea growth serum will also make an ayurvedic hair oil
5) Apply protein treatments/ DC and Moisturize as required
6) Take you vitamins- if you do take vitamins, post what your vitamin regimen is and try to be as consistent as possible, if not.... (see rule 7) - Cod liver oil, Maca-Go, Vitamin D, Elderberry Syrup, Chlorella or another "green' supplement, digestive enzyme, Mielle supplements ( will only take the one month supply), bamboo tea twice per day
7) Eat a balanced diet- we are casting pearls before swine and being very counterproductive by not eating the right nutrients to fuel our bodies so the vitamins. high nutrient dense diet
8) Try to get some sort of exercise- whether it is walking, rowing, biking, Pilates, yoga... seek clearance from your physician before you start a new exercise regimen. 5 times a week (3 being boot camp)
9) Trim only when needed and (Please, if possible) take before pictures BEFORE and AFTER any trims or cuts. OK - scheduling a trim for before Christmas
10) Be consistent with your length checks. OK

Please take not to not only your hair skin and nails feel but your body (joints, muscles/ ligaments) feel as well. Collagen is very good for all of the above and I will be conducting polls with each length check/update.

Last edited:
As for me...
1)Take a starting pic of your hair (post the current length, what your challenge goal length and your ultimate goal length) I post a pic on Jan 1st. My challenge goal is to thicken my hair and grow and retain a minimum of 10 inches of hair. My ultimate goal is 40inches of hair.

2)Take YOUR preferred collagen daily (I will post a link to the one that I use and the Vitamin c that I mix it with) I take Pure Marine Collagen Peptide Powder. I may try another brand because I am curious to see how some others work but I believe this is going to be my staple throughout.

3)PROTECT YOUR HAIR (baby your ends)- Collagen is going to work from the inside-out so you do still have to care and protect your hair. Low manipulation styles and protective style are encouraged, but do what you can and what is best for you. You know your hair. I usually PS throughout the year but I am taking a break for a while. I plan on leaving my hair out until May for my commencement ceremony then putting braids or something back in for 3 months. I was going to leave my hair out for the remaining 4 months but I think I will rotate between braided/twisted PS and wearing it out. Since I have worm protective styles for so long, I am still learning my hair.

4) Oil your scalp/ perform scalp massages- No doubt, oiling your scalp has proven beneficial for the majority of the women in here but if you are one of the ones whose scalp does not fare well with any type of oils on it, just massage your scalp. Get the sebum from the follicles rubbed all around your scalp and get those follicles stimulated. I use JBCO for scalp massages an Ayurvedic oil mixture that I make. I will begin using the Hairnamics scalp serum as well. I try to do inversion once a month but in the past 7 months, I only did it maybe twice. I will try to be more consistant with that.

I use Megatek or Aphogee for protein treatments and I DC about once a week. I moisturize daily so that should not be an issue. I am still trying to find a "staple" moisturizer.

6) Take you vitamins- if you do take vitamins, post what your vitamin regimen is and try to be as consistent as possible, if not.... (see rule 7)
I never slack on my vitamins... it took a while to get to this point but now, if I don't take my vitamins by 10am, I get agitated because it is part of my routine.
I take Biotin (10,000mcg)
Manetabolism (I will be switching to Hairnamics because it has Iron and I am Iron deficient)
Vitamin D (I have a SEVERE deficiency, my levels stay around 7-9)
Agar Agar in lieu of gelatin since gelatin is usually derived from pigs
Hyaluronic Acid
Folic Acid

7) Eat a balanced diet- we are casting pearls before swine and being very counterproductive by not eating the right nutrients to fuel our bodies so the vitamins. I have to be more consistant in eating period. I get so busy that I can go an entire day without eating an actual meal, just noshing on snacks like fruits and trail mix. Generally, I eat very well when I do eat, the worst thing I do is devour sweettarts like they are going out of style.

8) Try to get some sort of exercise- whether it is walking, rowing, biking, Pilates, yoga... seek clearance from your physician before you start a new exercise regimen. I love working out, I am in the process of fixing the room in my basement to be a workout room. I have a vertical dance pole and am getting a treadmill from my supervisor. I want a ballet bar, stall bar and a set of weights.

9) Trim only when needed and (Please, if possible) take before pictures BEFORE and AFTER any trims or cuts. I stress this "rule" for accountability and accuracy sake. I find it frustrating when I am looking at a YouTube video about hair growth progress (especially if the progress is attributed to a specific product), and the girl shows a "before" when she is 9", then and "after"pic, 3 months later where she is 10" and claims that she really "grew 3 inches total" because she "cut" 2inches off of her hair right before the video.... but didn't take any pics. I am not saying don't cut your hair for the sake of this challenge, just snap a pic before you do... I strive to be as open am honest as possible and I am not accusing anyone of fabricating there results on here, I am just hoping to get the most aciurate amount of feedback as possible. I am just learning to trim when needed. I used to be notorious for holding onto the ends because I was afraid I would cut too much and I do not trust beauticians to not cut 5 inches off when I only needed a 1/4" dusting. I am going to dust my hair before the start if the competition and will post the pictures then.

10) Be consistent with your length checks- I know we have all seen the hair growth results where the girls tilt their heads, grab a bigger section or a different section entirely. Let's not do that. Lol. Try to use the same section of hair, head straight, etc.... I usually measure the same section of hair but I realized that I have to start measuring other sections of hair because I get a type of "Tunnel vision" and only focus on that one area so when I look at the rest of my hair, I am either surprised or disappointed, depending on what progress my hair has made or has not made.

I will definitely join. I have been taking the marine collagen you suggested and I love it so far. It has greatly reduced my hair shedding and my skin looks great!
My current regimen:
Wash and condition weekly
Oil my scalp 3x per week
I currently take Hairnamics vitamins
I am currently wigging it as my protective style for the year!

I will definitely join. I have been taking the marine collagen you suggested and I love it so far. It has greatly reduced my hair shedding and my skin looks great!
My current regimen:
Wash and condition weekly
Oil my scalp 3x per week
I currently take Hairnamics vitamins
I am currently wigging it as my protective style for the year!

I am happy to hear of your results from the Marine Collagen! How do you find the Hairnamics vitamins?

I am happy to hear of your results from the Marine Collagen! How do you find the Hairnamics vitamins?
I love that vitamin, definitely got some growth and thickness from them. I have been taking them for approximately 3 months now. I will continue to take them along with the collagen throughout 2017!

Hello. I'd like to participate in this challenge.

Rules:
1)Take a starting pic of your hair (post the current length, what your challenge goal length and your ultimate goal length)
I will take my pic before the new year. My current length is shoulder length unstretched and armpit length stretched.
2)Take YOUR preferred collagen daily (I will post a link to the one that I use and the Vitamin c that I mix it with)
I just received the Pure Marine Collagen Peptide Power and have started taking it. I started early to make sure I have no issues before I go back to work.
3)PROTECT YOUR HAIR (baby your ends)- Collagen is going to work from the inside-out so you do still have to care and protect your hair. Low manipulation styles and protective style are encouraged, but do what you can and what is best for you. You know your hair.
I PS everyday with buns or wrapped stretched ponytails.
4) Oil your scalp/ perform scalp massages- No doubt, oiling your scalp has proven beneficial for the majority of the women in here but if you are one of the ones whose scalp does not fare well with any type of oils on it, just massage your scalp. Get the sebum from the follicles rubbed all around your scalp and get those follicles stimulated.
I don't oil my scalp because my hair has thinned to an extreme point in the crown so I'm doing Clobetasol and Rogaine. I've also purchased Tricomin which I haven't received yet but I'll be doing all three during this challenge. .
My hair is fine so I do protein treatments weekly, Henna treatments monthly and moisturizer daily. I keep a balance with my hair.
6) Take you vitamins- if you do take vitamins, post what your vitamin regimen is and try to be as consistent as possible, if not.... (see rule 7)
I currently take Maetabolism Plus, 10,000 IU of vitamins D and the following:
E
B Complex
Probiotic
7) Eat a balanced diet- we are casting pearls before swine and being very counterproductive by not eating the right nutrients to fuel our bodies so the vitamins.
I'm doing my best to determine a low caloric diet for weight loss without losing things that I need.
8) Try to get some sort of exercise- whether it is walking, rowing, biking, Pilates, yoga... seek clearance from your physician before you start a new exercise regimen.
I'm starting an exercise program while I'm off.
9) Trim only when needed and (Please, if possible) take before pictures BEFORE and AFTER any trims or cuts. I stress this "rule" for accountability and accuracy sake. I find it frustrating when I am looking at a YouTube video about hair growth progress (especially if the progress is attributed to a specific product), and the girl shows a "before" when she is 9", then and "after"pic, 3 months later where she is 10" and claims that she really "grew 3 inches total" because she "cut" 2inches off of her hair right before the video.... but didn't take any pics. I am not saying don't cut your hair for the sake of this challenge, just snap a pic before you do... I strive to be as open am honest as possible and I am not accusing anyone of fabricating there results on here, I am just hoping to get the most aciurate amount of feedback as possible.
I will trim as needed
10) Be consistent with your length checks- I know we have all seen the hair growth results where the girls tilt their heads, grab a bigger section or a different section entirely. Let's not do that. Lol. Try to use the same section of hair, head straight, etc....
I'll be consistent with the length checks.

I'm in! Just got it today, but will start it tomorrow. I'll post starting pics and regimen in a couple weeks when I take down my crochet braids.

Ordered and ready to join you all....today is my last wash day for 2016. I'll keep it simple and install more 2 strand twists.

Last edited:
I fell off just before the holiday...with party planning and house guests, vitamins were the last thing on my mond. Hopefully I'll be back on track tomorrow.

Are you all only taking it in the morning?

90% of the time, I take it in the mornings and evenings. I have begun mixing my morning dose the night prior with just the small amount of water to dissolve the collagen. In the a.m., I just add water and my vitamin c and go. I have not noticed any negative effects by doing this. I do put it in a sealed container though, to ward off any food odors or anything getting in or out.

I took my first scoop of collagen in a glass of OJ this morning. It was tasteless. I put a little juice in the bottom of the glass, then added my scoop and mixed it in. I, then, filled the glass and mixed awhile longer.

Beautiful hair @Gr8ness83! Sorry you had a rough NYE, hopefully things will look up for you and your boo.

I took my first scoop of collagen in a glass of OJ this morning. It was tasteless. I put a little juice in the bottom of the glass, then added my scoop and mixed it in. I, then, filled the glass and mixed awhile longer.

Beautiful hair @Gr8ness83! Sorry you had a rough NYE, hopefully things will look up for you and your boo.

Thank you, so far, it appears that it is. We are both very stubborn and quick to cut people off, not a good combination.

How did you feel about the taste of it? You are mixing it with just juice, correct?

I take the Neocell collagen pills. I will take it every other day as i want to make sure nothing upsets my stomach.

I'm off to a good consistent start for the new year! I take my collagen first thing in the morning with OJ and a chewable vitamin C. I take my iron at that time to take full advantage of the VitC.

I take my collagen in the mornings also and I take it with an additional 1000 mg of vitamin C and 100 mg of hyaluronic acid.

For those of u taking it twice a day, are u taking double dosage or r u taking half morning half evening?

Back