2016 A P L/b S L Challenge

Hey!! Long time no update, i know (my bad...)
Anyway, I didnt stick to my original regimen - i didnt do wigs or box braids as planned.
Instead I've had 3 different crochet styles since the end of feb/march until now.
Another change was no dusting, but in May, I trimmed off around an inch and more in some spots.
I took down my hair last night and I can finally say length retention is real.
I was grazing the top of my arm pit crease since forever, I lost count ahah but its literally been years
I have overcome, 1" 1/2 away from the bottom of my bra strap. Hallelujah!'

Really awkward tryna get a good angle haha, but i think the last attached picture shows my length the best!
IMG_20160908_215843.jpg IMG_20160908_220022.jpg IMG_20160908_220527.jpg

My hair is going back into a longterm protective hairstyle soon, I dont plan on taking it out until december...
so I snapped this picture for yall for the end of this months update.

Last edited:
Hey!! Long time no update, i know (my bad...)
Anyway, I didnt stick to my original regimen - i didnt do wigs or box braids as planned.
Instead I've had 3 different crochet styles since the end of feb/march until now.
Another change was no dusting, but in May, I trimmed off around an inch and more in some spots.
I took down my hair last night and I can finally say length retention is real.
I was grazing the top of my arm pit crease since forever, I lost count ahah but its literally been years
I have overcome, 1" 1/2 away from the bottom of my bra strap. Hallelujah!'

Really awkward tryna get a good angle haha, but i think the last attached picture shows my length the best!
View attachment 373377 View attachment 373379 View attachment 373381

My hair is going back into a longterm protective hairstyle soon, I dont plan on taking it out until december...
so I snapped this picture for yall for the end of this months update.

Finally, a bra-wearing twin!!! You seem to wear your bra low also! You already look like you're BSB (Below Shoulder Blade) and the bottom of your bra strap looks like the beginning of MBL (I can't really see your torso, so I might be off). Have you ever thought of claiming BSL at the top of your brastrap and MBL maybe an inch or less below the bottom of your bra strap? Either way, your hair is definitely on the grow!!! :yep: :yep: Congrats to you! :toocool::toocool:

Finally, a bra-wearing twin!!! You seem to wear your bra low also! You already look like you're BSB (Below Shoulder Blade) and the bottom of your bra strap looks like the beginning of MBL (I can't really see your torso, so I might be off). Have you ever thought of claiming BSL at the top of your brastrap and MBL maybe an inch or less below the bottom of your bra strap? Either way, your hair is definitely on the grow!!! :yep: :yep: Congrats to you! :toocool::toocool:

Thank you!!! Yup, you're right, my strap is low and the bottom of BSL is super close to MLB for me !!

You know, I purposely trimmed my hair blunt just so i could claim BSL when I got to the top of my strap. Five months later, the V-shape has crept it's way back. I'll just let it be. I probably will claim it once it's at the top of my strap :yep: but I'll feel better about reaching that milestone at the bottom of the strap since the side stands will be caught up.

Last edited:
@HairPleezeGrow My condolences to you. I pray that as a little time has passed- you are coping. :2inlove:

View attachment 373353 View attachment 373355 View attachment 373357 On a HHJ note, the wig looks great on you! I posted a different picture in the APL Challenge thread...Then, I realized that I have a length check shirt. I've attached both sets of pics. I've still got a LONG way to go to reach BSB/BSL (around 3 inches). I'll just keep trucking along- looking at you ladies for inspiration :bouncy:

Thank you Hun. I'm actually doing quite well. I still have my moments but I'm doing good.
ETA- I absolutely love your hair!

Ok so basically I've been wearing my hair out all week! This is the longest in a very long time that I've even worn my own hair out (it's always braided up for my wigs). I didn't take any pics this week besides yesterday but it pretty much looked the same all week. I'm hoping with me wearing it out most of this month it'll help with length retention so we shall see. Knowing me though I'll braid it up Sunday but I'm going to try and refrain from doing so.
image.jpeg

Today I'm using Pumpkin Seed Butter mixed with Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm as a prepoo.

Clarify with Elucence Clarifying shampoo

Cowashing with 4 Bella Naturale Yucca Root Restorative Co-Wash Conditioner

Protein Treatment with 4BN YR Intensive Repair Mask

Moisture Treatment with 4BN YR Cocoavonana Deep Hair Mask

Leave-In with 4BN YR Restorative Leave-in Conditioner

Almost didn't realise I hadn't done a length update in this thread. I took these pics today. It also happens to be my two year anniversary since cutting off my relaxed and damaged ends. My lower section is officially APL:toocool: (please excuse my tired face:look:). 2016-09-10_15.32.30.jpg

Attached is my starting pic from Jan.

Attachments

• 2016-01-02_12.57.17.jpg
    2016-01-02_12.57.17.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 37
Almost didn't realise I hadn't done a length update in this thread. I took these pics today. It also happens to be my two year anniversary since cutting off my relaxed and damaged ends. My lower section is officially APL:toocool: (please excuse my tired face:look:). View attachment 373447

Attached is my starting pic from Jan.

Go YOU!!!! Congrats!!! Gotta love shrinkage!!!:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy: On to BSL!

Thank you!!! Yup, you're right, my strap is low and the bottom of BSL is super close to MLB for me !!

You know, I purposely trimmed my hair blunt just so i could claim BSL when I got to the top of my strap. Five months later, the V-shape has crept it's way back. I'll just let it be. I probably will claim it once it's at the top of my strap :yep: but I'll feel better about reaching that milestone at the bottom of the strap since the side stands will be caught up.

Okay...so, I have given up on trying to even out my hair. Even as a little girl, I one side of my head was HL and the other half was MBL, LOL. I've always struggled with it and of course when I was relaxed and going to the salon on a regular basis-- they always wanted to even it up (on the shorter side). :(:rolleyes: As I've gotten older, my hair has developed a natural V-- blunt only lasts for a couple of months--

I totally understand what you mean:2inlove::2inlove:...Either way, your hair is :gorgeous: :gorgeous: I can't wait to see it at the end of the year!!

@AbsyBlvd, nice growth you can really see the difference from your starting picture!
Thanks @Daina I struggle to recognise length on my own head so the pics really help.

Go YOU!!!! Congrats!!! Gotta love shrinkage!!!:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy: On to BSL!

Thank you @Janet' it's good to have you back. My hair is a game of two halves, with the fine slow-growing top and the less fine and faster growing bottom but imma plough on:yep:.

Prepooed with an assortment of oils and butters - too much to remember.
Shampooed with Jason Naturals Biotin Thickening shampoo
Protein Conditioner - CJ Curl Rehab - turned out to be great after my initial bad reaction to it.
Moisture Conditioner - SSI Riche Moisture Masque - I love this one a lot, offers a really nice slip.
Leave-In - NG Hibiscus and Honey leave-in

Putting my hair in 3 big plaits under my wig for the day.

Back