2006 bun challenge with some new twists!!!!

Mahalialee4

Okay...the unique things about the challenge:

1. You can wear your hair in a bun, beehive, chignon, french roll or double buns or nubian knots.You may incorporate the baggie or phony bun.
2. You only take your hair down to shampoo and condition. No taking down at night ladies. You may spray and brush the edges daily if desired.
3. You may choose to alternate the ABOVE styles for variety at the time of the shampoo and conditioning AND BEST OF ALL:
4. You may check your 2006 calendar to select 2 days grace. This will allow you to let it all out for 2 special events and no more or just to measure the length. This should remove the feeling of hair claustrophobia. Knowing that you only have 2 days of grace will challenge you to select only the most important occasions to let your hair down.

My game plan: Since I use MTG: I have mixed up a dynamite leave in that incorporates the MTG, emu oil, hemp seed oil and aloe vera gel. Talking about cutting the MTG scent. Now for some of you, that are worried about any problem with the runniness, or the oiliness, it takes care of that, even using it on dry hair. Also I just added a drop of grapefruit oil. You may want to try the ylang ylang or neroli. I oil my ends with a blend of homemade oil and aloe vera gel to avoid the oily feel. For me this eliminates taking my hair down for up to a week without worrying about it drying out because it really makes the hair look shiny and sleek without feeling sticky or stiff. If you choose to shampoo every three days, this should do it for you too. I do not have to spray with water or moisturized using this. I can wear my scarf during the day or whip if off and know it is on point. I know I can get some good growth this way. I am focusing on maximizing my growth. So if you want to work out your game plan, come join the challenge. It is going to fun and successful. We can post growth attained at this time next year. Happy Holidays....bonjour

im definitely for it mahalialee!!! you always come up with the best threads! im a bit nervous though lol about the 2 times a month, but my hair needs this..really really badly...i dont really wear my hair down only if i see my boyfriend and i dont even see him that often cos we both go to school..

i definitely need this challenge! :grin: ive been wearing my hair in buns lately and its become so moisturized and has saved me so much time. instead of changing to french rolls and other things, heres what i do to acheive a nice, sexy, and simple hairstyle: i put it up in a loose bun but i make sure not to brush the hair. i let the natural texture (those coils! lol) shine through and im SOOO in love with it!!:p

im definitely in! lol and we gonna have such long and BEAUTIFULLLL HAIR!!;)
meia

I am in. That is exactly what I do in a daily basis anyway. Rendez-vous December 2006? I will have before and after pictures.

Hi!! I'm in.

I know this is what I need. I recently put myself on my own bun challenge until the end of this month to extend my relaxer to 12 weeks. I think this challenge is what I need since my problem is definitely not growth, it's retaining those ends!! One of my biggest problems is that because my hair is touching my shoulders now (but I don't consider it should length). It's constantly rubbing against my clothing, and now that it's winter, that plus the dry air is awful for my hair.

I think I've had my "a ha" moment with my hair, I lose a lot of hair every winter, and it keeps me in a cycle that starts with my hair having improved and growing over the summer, then as the winter sets in it starts to break and dry out, by spring my hair is usually see through and a few inches shorter than the previous summer because I've had to trim the ends. Then I repair my hair and get it healthy over the next few months, and then winter comes again, and we start over!!

Anyway (sorry my rant above), I'm going to try to stick to the plan set out by Mahalialee4. I know it's going to be hard for me, but I need to retain my ends. The only thing I really need to learn for this challenges is how to get my wet hair with plenty of new growth up into a bun neatly without loosing too much hair trying to smooth it out. I think this will take a bit of experimenting with bunning while in the shower. I plan to incorporate plenty of conditioner washes into my bun challenge.

I will be so happy if I can stick to this challenge and be able to honestly report that I have stuck to it at the end of next year. My goal is to make it to armpit length hair by this time next year, with thick ends. I am going to use MTG to help me in this effort as well.

For those who want to wear drawstring ponytails to cover their baggies try www.hairsisters.com or www.phonyponies.com for phony ponytails.

How about a notouch challenge... I dont think I can do a WHOLE YEAR of only buns, but if I got to incorporate braidouts, bantu knots, that would be my challenge...

CAN I BE AN EXCEPTION TO RULES... ME AND ALLI77 LOL...

Count me in, cause I have a serious case of hair claustrophobia. :) And this is generally how I wear it for the majority anyway.

I was trying hard to say no but,,,,, I'm in. Wearing buns would kill me but i think I can swing it now so my hair will be swingin later.

I'm thinking about joining this one, but I'm nervous that the daily bun will put strain on the portion of the hair at the base of the bun. I use a "ouchless" ponytail holder and I put it on pretty loosely but I'm still paranoid that the ponytail holder is rubbing against the same spot day after day. Should I be worried about this?

Hmmmm....I'm thinking about joining this one. I wore braids all of 2005 and I was planning to do the same thing for 2006. Now I think I may do a bun instead. Those long braiding sessions are getting old. Plus I like the idea of keeping my hair super moisturized with the baggie. Well, I have until the first to decide.

LovelyZ said:
I'm thinking about joining this one, but I'm nervous that the daily bun will put strain on the portion of the hair at the base of the bun. I use a "ouchless" ponytail holder and I put it on pretty loosely but I'm still paranoid that the ponytail holder is rubbing against the same spot day after day. Should I be worried about this?

No....there's nothing to worry about. I did it for a whole year...with no breakage.

I haven't been doing it daily since I reached my goal....but I'm "In" for this challenge. This will be perfect....since I'm working out more and I want more inches. My class reunion is coming up.

I do the baggie method. The link is in my signature. I wrap the phony into a bun.....I don't leave it down.

Puddles said:
No....there's nothing to worry about. I did it for a whole year...with no breakage.

Thanks. And two other questions...(1) are you all using bobby pins to keep the hair in the bun; do the pins pull the hair too much? (2) what are you doing to the nape area of the neck aka "kitchen" to make it look presentable? I've always thought that it doesn't look very nice to have a lot of short hair back there and wearing a bun everyday certainly exposes that area.

Hey ladies:I thought I let everybody off the hook with the options...I know some ladies do not feel comfortable with buns...so you can alternate with some of the other suggestions any way you want to just like I said in # 1...bun one week, bantu knots the next, french rolls the next etc. and so on. I said bun challenge because that is really just the most basic updo that can go anywhere...workouts, church, office, holidays, partying.....etc. If there is anything in there that is totally protective to your ends...then throw that up in the mix. I will be doing buns, but I will switch off to chignons, french rolls, roll ups and tuck under buns for special dressy occasions and these I can still wrap up for a week. If it falls next to a shampoo day, I only have to wear the fancy stuff one day. But I really encourage you to do a "no touch" -protective style for 3 days-1week at a time for one year. Be sure to lubricate the ends well before the hair goes up. I want to see if I can retain 6"/Hope this helps. Bonjour

Mahalialee4 said:
Okay...the unique things about the challenge:

1. You can wear your hair in a bun, beehive, chignon, french roll or double buns or nubian knots.You may incorporate the baggie or phony bun.
2. You only take your hair down to shampoo and condition. No taking down at night ladies. You may spray and brush the edges daily if desired.
3. You may choose to alternate the ABOVE styles for variety at the time of the shampoo and conditioning AND BEST OF ALL:
4. You may check your 2006 calendar to select 2 days grace. This will allow you to let it all out for 2 special events and no more or just to measure the length. This should remove the feeling of hair claustrophobia. Knowing that you only have 2 days of grace will challenge you to select only the most important occasions to let your hair down.

My game plan: Since I use MTG: I have mixed up a dynamite leave in that incorporates the MTG, emu oil, hemp seed oil and aloe vera gel. Talking about cutting the MTG scent. Now for some of you, that are worried about any problem with the runniness, or the oiliness, it takes care of that, even using it on dry hair. Also I just added a drop of grapefruit oil. You may want to try the ylang ylang or neroli. I oil my ends with a blend of homemade oil and aloe vera gel to avoid the oily feel. For me this eliminates taking my hair down for up to a week without worrying about it drying out because it really makes the hair look shiny and sleek without feeling sticky or stiff. If you choose to shampoo every three days, this should do it for you too. I do not have to spray with water or moisturized using this. I can wear my scarf during the day or whip if off and know it is on point. I know I can get some good growth this way. I am focusing on maximizing my growth. So if you want to work out your game plan, come join the challenge. It is going to fun and successful. We can post growth attained at this time next year. Happy Holidays....bonjour

Hey Mahalia, i ve been toying with the idea for a couple of days now and id like to join. i ve been out of cornrows since nov 22 and now i have enough length for 2 afro puffs/bun. i ve been cowashing everyday and love it so freeing and i let it air dry in 2 puffs and put plastic cap and satin bonnet.As soon as i reorder my mtg on friday, i will use it like you apply the perm on each row after washing my hair and just on my scalp then put into two puffs then baggy method and leave 3 days then wash reapply mtg. i will also incorporate mtg, masketi and more good stuff in my homemade conditioner and mix conditioners in it. only on exceptions like birthdays or important events will i wear my hair out in a braidout. voila as the end of the year is dawning i m running out of most of my vits and all products i need to make a list and lean more towards natural products and homemade concoctions: crushed avocado, organic honey,evoo, unrefined shea butter, aloe vera, pure amla oil, sulfur and more,i will keep hair in buns and afro puffs till my hair is lonnnng yeah im in the 2006 bun challenge for real :grin: let me just think my regimen yet and what to buy

Last edited:
Mahalialee4 said:
.... But I really encourage you to do a "no touch" -protective style for 3 days-1week at a time for one year. Be sure to lubricate the ends well before the hair goes up. I want to see if I can retain 6"/Hope this helps. Bonjour

Maybe I'm slow (nah it's just too early in the am for me :lol: ) but how do you keep your 'do looking fresh when it's been up for three days and you've slept on it? :confused: Thankfully most of my classes are online next semester so I can walk around my house as funky (mtg, tar grease, wgho, etc.) as I wanna be! :lachen: lmao was it deedabug that said smelling like stanky ol' booty ladies? lolol got dang.

I am mad you said tar grease... doing you really use that...

I AM IN...

I will testing some styles out this week, like bantu knot twistout, and variations of Buns, I will take pictures sunday, which will be the first day since I plan on doing my hair that day...

AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
I am mad you said tar grease... doing you really use that...

When I applied it back in the day I got more growth than I knew what to do with and it kept my scalp from itching. I recently just started back to using it sparingly on my "kitchen". It has petroleum and refined pine tar..... but it's one of the things that works for me. The scent of MTG makes the Dax Kocahtah (who in the hell thought that one up? :lol: ) seem like a walk in the park. :ohwell:

I'm in! I've become somewhat lazy with my hair and now that the colder months are here, I might as well just shampoo, condition and put it in a bun for the winter. The exeption will be for special events, I just might style it with heat for those occasions.

Last night I put my hair up in bun without loosing a lot of hair, here's what I did:

I had been wearing a bun for the last couple of days, so I went into the shower to cowash my hair. I left my hair up at the crown of my head (in the position where it had been for the last couple of days) as I cowashed it. I used V05 Oasis Honey and Almond conditioner. I let the conditioner sit in my hair as I washed up my body. I then I used my Jilbere shower comb to detangle as I stood under the stream of water (this is the only way I can safely comb all the way through my hair that is 9 weeks post relaxer). I then used a wide spaced Goody brushed (that is supposed to be safe for thin hair) to lightly brush the hair into place (still standing under the shower). Followed by a soft boars bristle brush for smoothness (still standing under the shower). I then put my hair into a ponytail with a silk scruchie.

After getting out of the shower I applied my leave-ins (Salerm, Tiji Ego Boost split end mender on the ends). I also used an applicator bottle to get MTG to my scalp, and also WGO. I only removed the silk scrunchie to add the leave ins and oil to the section of hair that the scruchie covered. To finish I put some oils on the ponytail section of my hair, and wrapped the hair loosely around the scruchie and covered it with my baggie.

I woke up this morning with a nice smooth look. I covered the baggie with my phony pony which I fashioned into a chignon to go to work.

Mahalialee4 said:
But I really encourage you to do a "no touch" -protective style for 3 days-1week at a time for one year. Be sure to lubricate the ends well before the hair goes up. I want to see if I can retain 6"/Hope this helps. Bonjour

You can count me in!!!

How do I keep my hair fresh: Well #1. I am using oils that give absolute minimum of oiliness. I use the MTG but I cut it with the emu oil, hempseed oil and a good dash of aloe vera gel (the purest brand). Another oil that is not oily is the jojoba. Shake it really well. If it still is too greasy for you, add more aloe vera gel. Brush the sides and hairline all around to smooth. Cover with satin scarf. Dry using the ponytail method with a roller on the end or wrap the ponytail to the side top and bottom till dry. Leave in ponytail or remove the cut off pantyhose scrunchy and just wrap into the bun style, cover with your satin scarf. Sleep with your hair covered with the satin scarf. I add very little of the oil. just to the hairline and brush in. Add a touch to the ends of the ponytail. Less is better. You should not have any problem keeping the hair smooth, tangle free and not all greasy looking. Hope this helps. bonjour

oh, one more thing, I do use bobbi pins on my wrapped ponytail till it dries. I do not use anything like that on the nape of the neck because the oil and aloe vera mix really lays it out smooth and then the scarf does the rest. If you have a lot of short layers at the nape, I suggest putting a few dabs of aloe vera gel and lightly brushing every eveing before you add your satin scarf. This should train the nape. Hope this helps. bonjour

hey ladies!

i already started the bun challenge about a week or two before mahalia made this wonderful challenge! I havent worn my hair down except for yesterday (one of my ONE times for the year going by the challenge) and i have to say its left my hair so SOFT TO THE TOUCH!:eek: its also smoothed my broken ends (they feel like regular hair now not burnt), ALLOWED MY BABY HAIR TO GROW BACK IN THE FRONT THICKER AND MORE EVENLY, its allowed me to control my new growth (i have about 2-3 inches in different places) and it moisturized my hair all over my head...:eek: :eek:

ive also started to use oyin products. i bougth the 15.00 hair kit with the conditioner, leave-in, curly styling pudding, and whipped pudding. its made my hair so soft and nice and i cant keep my hands out of my head...most recently, i decided one of my goals would be to start using a LINE of products that worked instead of a whole lotta CHEAP products that dont do nothin. i tried oyin on recommendation from a thread i made....if anyone wants some seriously good, nice smelling products yall should check it out..lol and i woulda bought carols daughter but they are WAYYYYY too expensive..hehehe and im cheap as anything..

definitely gonna stay committed to this challenge. i feel i owe it to myself!

Maha,

I would like to join... but I use MTG or Surge on my scalp daily.... How can I do this without taking my bun down daily:confused: ... I have been bunning all year.. but I take the bun down daily to Surge and MTG...HELP:(

Any info deeply appreciated...

TIA... Everyone

Going by the MTG instructions, are we not supposed to leave it in for 3 days. I would just surge it real good add my MTG AND LEAVE IT FOR 3 DAYS and then it says you can reapply with out washing it, if I remember correctly. So, how would that work for you Lady Z? As you can see by my post I do MTG and that is what I do. I do not feel I have to reapply every night. Hope this works for you. bonjour

Mahalialee4 said:
oh, one more thing, I do use bobbi pins on my wrapped ponytail till it dries. I do not use anything like that on the nape of the neck because the oil and aloe vera mix really lays it out smooth and then the scarf does the rest. If you have a lot of short layers at the nape, I suggest putting a few dabs of aloe vera gel and lightly brushing every eveing before you add your satin scarf. This should train the nape. Hope this helps. bonjour

Hi,

Question, what brand of aloe vera gel do you use, where do you get it??

Back