1 year later = 1 inch SHORTER!

wyldcurlz

i'm raging MAD!!! :mad: why is it that everyone seems to be making progress except me?!??! i'm doing more now that i've ever done in the past to get growth - yet i'm shorter now than i was a year ago.

i've cut out heat! i'm conditioning! i'm wearing buns everyday! in other words, i'm looking UGLY in order to achieve length and its not happening!!! what am i doing wrong? does my hair just grow super slow? have i reached my genetic length limit? i don't understand. have i reached the BSL length stall? what is going on?

my hair seems healthy. i'm healthy. but now i'm frustrated! i look at all your fotki's and i see this fantastic progress in a year's time. i've been growing my hair FOREVER and barely any noticeable progress! and certainly no noticeable progress in a year.

yes, i've had a 'trim' or two - i think they took off an inch or two (sometimes it seems like it was 5 inches) - but come on! i should be at my waist length goal by now...actually i should've been there last year!

please, before i just QUIT - please someone give me some hope. someone tell me you've been thru this and gotten past it. anything!

Dont be mad. :mad: Dont be sad :( .

As you mentioned above, your hair is HEALTHY and honestly, I think that is the most important thing. What is the point of having waistlength hair with scraggly, see through ends? Maybe some of the other ladies on board can evaluate your regime and help you to retain more length.

Please dont give up. :)

Don't be discouraged! Maybe it's the trims, but sometimes they're necessary. I think once hair gets to brastrap, it just seems like it's starting to go a little more slowly now... just like in my case, b/c i trimmed almost 1" and now i'm like ugh...

the ends are getting old, so they need extra care. Take your vitamins, continue to deep-condition and all that, and see how it goes ok???

Good luck :kiss:

wyldcurlz said:
yes, i've had a 'trim' or two - i think they took off an inch or two (sometimes it seems like it was 5 inches) - but come on! i should be at my waist length goal by now...actually i should've been there last year!

You answered your own question - on average hair grows 6 inches a year and you just mentioned 7 inches that got cut off, the math adds up to 1 inch shorter!

Cut out all of those trims, if you are doing the protective styles then your ends shouldn't need to be trimmed. Step away from the scissors and yell at anybody who comes near you with a pair.

wyldcurlz said:
i'm raging MAD!!! :mad: why is it that everyone seems to be making progress except me?!??! i'm doing more now that i've ever done in the past to get growth - yet i'm shorter now than i was a year ago.

i've cut out heat! i'm conditioning! i'm wearing buns everyday! in other words, i'm looking UGLY in order to achieve length and its not happening!!! what am i doing wrong? does my hair just grow super slow? have i reached my genetic length limit? i don't understand. have i reached the BSL length stall? what is going on?

my hair seems healthy. i'm healthy. but now i'm frustrated! i look at all your fotki's and i see this fantastic progress in a year's time. i've been growing my hair FOREVER and barely any noticeable progress! and certainly no noticeable progress in a year.

please, before i just QUIT - please someone give me some hope. someone tell me you've been thru this and gotten past it. anything!

Hey Wyldcurlz my advice is dont trim your hair until the end of the year thats what i m doing now cause i could never see my progress in the past and would stay at the same length when i used to perm. i think you really cut all your progress so the best way to monitor your progress for real without second guessing yourself, keep your protective styles, wear a satin bonnet at night, moisturize the ends with vaseline or heavy grease that you roll into a bun with a plastic cap baggy method just on the bun and on top you put a shower cap to save and protect your ends and watch your progress in one year top, add a vitamin , cowash once or twice a week, say no to heat and at the end of 2006 then you trim damaged ends but before trimming you will see your real progress and stay away from scissor happy stylists that confuse trims with cuts. Hope everything go well. because trust me the hair is always growing even slow its never negative. if your hair is one inch shorter it must be either the hair breaking or the trimming(but as its healthy ,its the trims the culprit). Keep your head up girl at least you have healthy hair thats half the battle. Peace.

ahhhh dont be sad!!! its good that your hairs healthy!!! now as it grows it should break less therefore it will stay for longer:)

The same thing I was thinking. Maybe try no trims for this year unless necessary, so get ready to baby those ends. Hopefully next year your come out on top.
JCoily said:
You answered your own question - on average hair grows 6 inches a year and you just mentioned 7 inches that got cut off, the math adds up to 1 inch shorter!

Cut out all of those trims, if you are doing the protective styles then your ends shouldn't need to be trimmed. Step away from the scissors and yell at anybody who comes near you with a pair.

i guess its got to be the trims. it always strikes me that after i get it trimmed the stylist will say "i only took off a little bit." and then they make it seem like I'M being crazy or paranoid because i say "it looks like you took off more than a little bit." i had one person argue with me. i'll continue to condition my ends like mad and no trims (especially from stylists) aside from my own little seek and destroy missions. hopefully i'll see some real progress soon!

I'm a curlyhead too, and I know about hidden length because of shrinkage, boy do I know, but that's another post. You really don't need to trim that often or at all if you're wearing your hair up 90% of the time, taking care of it, and leaving it curly. I only get a stylist to trim my hair when I want it more evened up, but that means they will cut, cut, cut your length off. The BSL rest period is a pain but just bun it and forget it, like the ladies have said, don't measure and go about your life and in a couple months it will surprise you.

BTW IMP: when your ready to trim with a stylist, go to a regular cheap supercuts type place and talk with them and make sure the stylist shows you how much you've indicated to cut, before the cut. The expensive salons will do what THEY want and act like they listened to you and chop length off
Also it helps to straighten the hair 1st.

links for hair toys
http://www.longhairloom.com/stickshome.html#A

http://www.blueheronwoods.com/hairpins.htm

http://www.manyhorses.com/store_hairsticks.htm

http://www.artistreewoodart.com/Hair/hain.html

Last edited:
wyldcurlz said:
i guess its got to be the trims. it always strikes me that after i get it trimmed the stylist will say "i only took off a little bit." and then they make it seem like I'M being crazy or paranoid because i say "it looks like you took off more than a little bit." i had one person argue with me. i'll continue to condition my ends like mad and no trims (especially from stylists) aside from my own little seek and destroy missions. hopefully i'll see some real progress soon!
I had a stylist secretly whip out her scissors to cut my hair , when I had gotten a trimm 1 week before :cool: I was like NO, I just got it cut, she really wanted to chop it and we all know why. Watch out for those so called stylists girl

wyldcurlz said:

I suggest not getting a trim unless you see some split ends. But if you do, take a ruler or measuring tape with you to the beauty shop and show them how much they should take off and let them know that at the end of the session you will measure a few strands that hit the floor.

These folks didn't go to beauty school because they were good at math.

Good luck with your hair, the positive here is that you are starting off hair that is cut evenly.

It's probably the trims.

I don't trim on a set schedule like every 6-8 weeks. I only trim when there are split ends.

JCoily said:
I suggest not getting a trim unless you see some split ends. But if you do, take a ruler or measuring tape with you to the beauty shop and show them how much they should take off and let them know that at the end of the session you will measure a few strands that hit the floor.

These folks didn't go to beauty school because they were good at math.

Good luck with your hair, the positive here is that you are starting off hair that is cut evenly.
Very good advice!

You are natural. SHRINKAGE can be the cupid.
Get yourself a nice blow dry/ and measure. Last time I did it I was amazed. And bottom line is your hair is healthy. Also too much trims are not good. I went a full year doing bun and protecting my ends and did not need a trim at all.

Back