YUM...CARAMEL

HAVE YOU USED THE CARAMEL TREATMENT

• Total voters
I love this treatment. I enjoyed making it at home and I enjoyed the results even more. I have fine, wavey hair that tends to frizz when it is dry and this made it almost too straight due to the moisture. I cant imaginw why anyone would think this would make your hair fall out unless they tried to comb it with it in.

I love this treatment. I enjoyed making it at home and I enjoyed the results even more. I have fine, wavey hair that tends to frizz when it is dry and this made it almost too straight due to the moisture. I cant imaginw why anyone would think this would make your hair fall out unless they tried to comb it with it in.

Some things that stylists say must be completely thrown out....:nono:

That is ok - I will have hair.....A stylist will have no money from me.

I've done that, too, and while I have to be gentler with my hair as it doesn't provide as much slip as some of my other conditioners - my hair STILL ain't falling out. :rolleyes:
Some stylists just hate anything that threatens their pocket, thas all.

I've done that, too, and while I have to be gentler with my hair as it doesn't provide as much slip as some of my other conditioners - my hair STILL ain't falling out. :rolleyes:
Some stylists just hate anything that threatens their pocket, thas all.

Yes!!!!! I am a threat to the bottom line of every stylist out there...

I made a variation of this recipe last night. Here's what I used:

2-6oz containers banana baby food
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup hempseed butter, melted
1/6 cup castor oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup Nexxus humectress

I almost didn't add the Humectress, but I have a gallon of it and I am always looking for ways to use it up. I used a hand mixer to whip everything together; I had first tried stirring, but that was futile with all the sticky stuff in there. It smelled really good--just like bananas and molasses with a touch of honey. I couldn't smell the hempseed butter or castor oil at all, which pleased me because I don't really care for the smell of either one.

I clarified first with Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo, then applied this mixture in sections. I let it sit under a plastic cap using the steaming method. I rinsed after about an hour, mainly because the caramel was dripping a little and making my neck sticky. :lol: I then let it air dry in braids after adding my usual post-wash leave-ins.

Today my hair looks amazing, and feels so soft. It has a great sheen/shine to it, and the ends feel GREAT. Usually when I take a segment of my hair and run my fingers down the length, I can feel a line of demarcation where the hair is a bit rougher and puffier--not today.

AND this particular recipe made 3 extra portions of conditioner--I measured them out and froze them in Ziplock baggies. That way, when I want to use it again, I can have a portion for my hair and not have to defrost the whole thing. I will definitely use this after every clarifying shampoo, since my hair needs extra TLC. The only thing I would do differently is to towel-dry my hair more throughly before applying the caramel--the wetness of my hair made the caramel drippy, and it dripped all over my neck and made me sticky and a little uncomfortable.

:bump:

I just bought the Etae mixture from a bss and have some questions:

1. Is this better as a pre-shampoo mixture or deep conditioner?

2. I am doing a hard Aphogee treatment next wash and want to know if I can do this after as an alternative to dc-ing or should I Aphogee -> Caramel -> DC?

Last edited:
:bump:

I just bought the Etae mixture from a bss and have some questions:

1. Is this better as a pre-shampoo mixture or deep conditioner?

2. I am doing a hard Aphogee treatment next wash and want to know if I can do this after as an alternative to dc-ing or should I Aphogee -> Caramel ->
DC?

I would say that it's better as a pre-shampoo mixture..I would follow the caramel treatment with my regular shampoo and conditioning routine

Subscribing.

I think I may try this when I after I take my tree braids out. I always need extra moisture after being in those kind of styles.

If anybody else has recipes please please add them.

And does anyone use coconut milk in theirs? If so, how?

Caramel definitely loosens my curl pattern. Definitely. I bought my Caramel from Etae. I will make my own mix - again. The first batch came out really creamy. Etae's Caramel is extremely sticky like it is 90% caramel, not an even 1/3;1/3;1/3...combination like some are using. As soon as i rinse it out, i can see my hair drop and become longer. it also makes it easier to flat iron. This has made my transition "heavenly." I am 7 months post...I love it.

I am searching and bumping up all these threads :lachen:

What I really want to know is how it works for a stretcher. I am 15 weeks post relaxer and I want to use it on my new growth. Also, can I use it on my already relaxed hair?

Someone mention the consistency is so thick that it can pull out your hair. :ohwell:Hopefully that isn't the case for me.

Do I have to shampoo and condition after use? Or can I rinse and co-wash out.
Any users here available to give advice?

I am searching and bumping up all these threads :lachen:

What I really want to know is how it works for a stretcher. I am 15 weeks post relaxer and I want to use it on my new growth. Also, can I use it on my already relaxed hair?

Someone mention the consistency is so thick that it can pull out your hair. :ohwell:Hopefully that isn't the case for me.

Do I have to shampoo and condition after use? Or can I rinse and co-wash out.
Any users here available to give advice?

I swear I'm not stalking you. :lachen: (Work is just CRAZY slow today)

I cowash only - and I've never conditioned afterwards.

Of course, I'm talking solely about the homemade version, but I can't see the store one being THAT different.

I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to use it on all of your hair....

GIrl please! I love getting responses. It's more me stalking you, cos I KNOW you know.
Y'all got me all excited about my Caramel now :lachen:

Shoot, you've got me halfway ready to try the storebrought kind myself! Esp. since it's so much thicker - man, I need to experiment! I wonder if they add water..... hrm.

*off to google*

Hrmph. That's no help. If you wouldn't mind, can you post the actual ingredients once you get it? I bet it has water in it, and THAT would make a big difference, it would. :yep:

Last edited:
JustkIya, I am getting better at documenting the information now, so I will take a picture of the bottle, list off the ingredients and try to take pics as I apply etc.
I wonder if I can work out in it and then rinse it off?

Shoot, you've got me halfway ready to try the storebrought kind myself! Esp. since it's so much thicker - man, I need to experiment! I wonder if they add water..... hrm.

*off to google*

JustkIya, I am getting better at documenting the information now, so I will take a picture of the bottle, list off the ingredients and try to take pics as I apply etc.
I wonder if I can work out in it and then rinse it off?

If it's as thick as people are talking about, I don't see why not - slap on a shower cap and a scarf, and get your workout on. WIll give your head a little heat, too... :yep:

And thank you!

Here are the etae ingredients in order.........

honey
Olive oil
Bananas
molasses
cornstarch water
vinegar
wheat germ oil

I make my own because I can use a whole bottle at one sitting. I use it as a pre poo - Shampoo - and post condish.

honey
Olive oil
Bananas
molasses
cornstarch water
vinegar
wheat germ oil

I make my own because I can use a whole bottle at one sitting. I use it as a pre poo - Shampoo - and post condish.

Hah! Thank you!

There IS water in it - that makes sense, because it gives the cornstarch something to 'glob onto to - I betcha that will cut down on it separating too.

And the order of the ingredients is interesting too. Hrm. Might cause me to tweak my recipe a bit. :yep:

Shoot, I'm going out of town this weekend - I won't be able to try this for another two weeks, now! *sucks teeth*

Thanks again SJ!

honey
Olive oil
Bananas
molasses
cornstarch water
vinegar
wheat germ oil

do you have measurements and instructions to go with this by chance?

Okay guys, I bought it, will be posting pics to my fotki.
I have a question though, I also gave in and bought a box of relaxer to touch up :look:

It says that it's a deep constructor or something like that (Bottle is downstairs) can I apply this after a relaxer or should I just apply this first and see if it works as a relaxer/straightener and if all else fails use the touch up kit?

This sounds like it would be sooo moisturizing- and my hair craves moisture. So, I am definitely going to give this a try.

Okay guys, I bought it, will be posting pics to my fotki.
I have a question though, I also gave in and bought a box of relaxer to touch up :look:

It says that it's a deep constructor or something like that (Bottle is downstairs) can I apply this after a relaxer or should I just apply this first and see if it works as a relaxer/straightener and if all else fails use the touch up kit?

Me too..Can't wait to see the results:lick:

uPDATE: I used the caramel. Yes heavy handedly, so I used a bit more than half on my hair. Applied a shower cap and went to cooking and exercising. Needless to say the sweating made it run down my face and back a lil bit.

I rinsed with lukewarm water, followed by A co wash with Free Me Freesia and NTM Daily Deep Conditioner.

THe result: Not so sure :ohwell:
The front of my hair looks a lil more relaxed, but no stark differences. The body of my hair feels good. I am airdrying to see what my hair will feel like when that happens.

Back