Your Hairstyles/Ethnic Confusion

Well, when its in the matter of Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Brazilian and Panamanian people, it's not a matter of us looking like "them", we have to understand their ancestors were also African slaves. Actually, according to a History professor, only 30% of African slaves went to the United States. Like over 50% went to Brazil... and the rest to the Caribes.

So, if someone says you look Dominican, essentially they're saying you look "Black" or "Mixed". But just cause they speak another language and have a different culture, doesn't change their race.:nono: Hate to burst some bubbles....

Besides, you can't LOOK like a nationality...you can only LOOK like your race. I hate when ppl confuse my race with a nationality.

Besides, some white people can't tell the difference between a PR, DR or a AA person, they all look Black to them :perplexed

there is no one look to a "race". besides, race is a racist (or has in roots in racism, anyway) social construction. myself and an ethopian are both black, if we are talking "race". but nigerians and ethiopians look distinctly different for the most part. a lot of ethnicities have their own "unique" look. in a lot of countries, the people will have some common characteristics often unique to that place. this is evident in the chinese, mongolian, irish, somalian etc. i've had people come up to me knowing that i'm not only nigerian but knowing what tribe in nigeria i am from, they can get that specific just based on my appearance. i've even had people who were not nigerian tell i am nigerian (i think a kenyan was able to do this), i do not have a nigerian accent as i've always lived in london and this was the first time meeting that person.

in places where there has been a lot of racial mixing, it is hard to claim a person looks like someone from that country. when someone does it may be due to ignorance (this is where people asking about someone's ethnicity due to hair alone comes in). so i agree with your 2nd paragraph.

i'd say your last statement was true of a lot of people, regardless of ethnicity.

Last edited:
Yup i hate it and it bothers me so much.both of my parents are african american. I think my great grandmother was native american but the thing is my hair is nappy straight up. so i mean i really dont count myself as being native american.... my hair is just a difficult sometimes as others ... but i have gotten oh wat are u and i say black and im like why she was like u look indian.... and i look like a regular black girl. Anyway this girl told me that i must not be fully black cause her hair dont look like mine when she straighten it but i think it was because she didnt roller set and i did it does my ur hair cuticle lay flater and look straighter. thast all so if i didnt roller set it mines would look the same as hers it all about styling and the reason it makes mad cause why the hell do i have to be mixed to have nice here. Girsl we gotta start breaking this stereotyopes for real but on the other hand ppl will always say stupid things so what canyou do but just inform them of the truth

I get the Indian stuff too. Same thing I have Native American in my family but it dates back to my great grandparents and up so I don't count myself as one. I just say I'm black. I've gotten African, West Indian, Indian, and Columbian. And my hair was worn up or diffused in the wavy look when I got these comments. It's sad b/c the first thing people say is, "When I saw your hair......" Why I can't be black with "pretty" hair?. Next time someone asks me my nationality I'm going to make one up. :lachen: And then be like SYKE! I'm regular black yo.

I get asked where I'm from, because I have been told, Black American girls who got natural hair, their hair is not that wavt or etc.

I was just saying on the other thread how people expect natural hair to be coarser or kinky. Many people from other countries always asks am I from Brazil or any South American country that has a large Black population.

But's that only from people from other countries. Now Black Americans :lol: that's a different story.

I don't think we are the only ones who go through this.

I've seen some P Ricans called Mexican that were :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: - especially in Cali. My PR friends did not like to be called Mexican period.

Also, my Korean friends did not like to be called chinese.

I have a white male friend that swears all asian people are chinese and I set him up with my friend from Laos.

It might have lasted if he would have stopped trying to impress her with his knowledge of sushi (which is neither chinese or laotian). :lachen:

Well, when its in the matter of Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Brazilian and Panamanian people, it's not a matter of us looking like "them", we have to understand their ancestors were also African slaves. Actually, according to a History professor, only 30% of African slaves went to the United States. Like over 50% went to Brazil... and the rest to the Caribes.

So, if someone says you look Dominican, essentially they're saying you look "Black" or "Mixed". But just cause they speak another language and have a different culture, doesn't change their race.:nono: Hate to burst some bubbles....

Besides, you can't LOOK like a nationality...you can only LOOK like your race. I hate when ppl confuse my race with a nationality.

Besides, some white people can't tell the difference between a PR, DR or a AA person, they all look Black to them :perplexed

I actually disagree with that. While I get that nationality and race are different things (Im far too educated to not know the difference). To me Dominicans dont look like African Americans, as much hate as they have for their African origins I think they have retained FAR more of their African genes than Africans Americans. Which is why I think they clearly feature particular Nigerian cultural groups versus the typical African American that is black but you cant look at them and say "you feature a belle (sp?), yoruba, Ija (sp?) etc. If anything that is how I can tell a Dominican they look like a west African but their skin is lighter.

So I agree with what tick tock is saying about being able to tell an ethnicity by looks because for some ethnicities it IS unique. But I also think when people ask or assume it is done not out of ignorance but because they know what they see. The same way someone can look at her and know what type of Nigerian she is, i dont think it is so far fetched to be able to identify a Dominican if you have know enough of the people to know what archetypal looks they can come in (of course with the understanding than everyone doesnt fit the predominant molds). So while I get the "definitions" of the different terms used to describe race etc I do think they in no way emcompass the breadth of the particular uniqueness that is the diaspora.

I actually disagree with that. While I get that nationality and race are different things (Im far too educated to not know the difference). To me Dominicans dont look like African Americans, as much hate as they have for their African origins I think they have retained FAR more of their African genes than Africans Americans. Which is why I think they clearly feature particular Nigerian cultural groups versus the typical African American that is black but you cant look at them and say "you feature a belle (sp?), yoruba, Ija (sp?) etc. If anything that is how I can tell a Dominican they look like a west African but their skin is lighter.

So I agree with what tick tock is saying about being able to tell an ethnicity by looks because for some ethnicities it IS unique. But I also think when people ask or assume it is done not out of ignorance but because they know what they see. The same way someone can look at her and know what type of Nigerian she is, i dont think it is so far fetched to be able to identify a Dominican if you have know enough of the people to know what archetypal looks they can come in (of course with the understanding than everyone doesnt fit the predominant molds). So while I get the "definitions" of the different terms used to describe race etc I do think they in no way emcompass the breadth of the particular uniqueness that is the diaspora.

i didn't mean to imply someone assuming another person's ethnicity was ignorant. just that when they claim someone is of X ethnicity when there has been an extensive history of racial mixing within that group, it can be ignorant because there may not be strong characteristics that can clearly be linked back to that group as it is a "melting pot". so i think they pick "weak" characteristics (not ones unique to the group) in order to attach them to that group. hair and skin colour are weak ones for me.

i was under the illusion DR was such a country where it was a "melting pot" but your post suggests otherwise though. wikipedia is not the best of sources but here it says: "According to the CIA World Fact Book, the ethnic composition of the Dominican population is, 73% Mixed, 16% White and 11% Black." so maybe if the mixed people have a distinct look i can see how an AA could be confused as being dominican if they have those traits. i'm not trying to prove you wrong because personally, i have not come across many dominicans so would personally not be able to tell if they all share a similar "look". i can only base things off what i read.

so i can see how the other poster said if people are confusing AAs for dominicans it could just be so say they look "black" or "mixed", which according to that statistic may hold some truth. add in the "domincan blowout" type hair and then yeah, maybe hair is playing a factor into what others are assuming someone's ethnicity to be.

i didn't mean to imply someone assuming another person's ethnicity was ignorant. just that when they claim someone is of X ethnicity when there has been an extensive history of racial mixing within that group, it can be ignorant because there may not be strong characteristics that can clearly be linked back to that group as it is a "melting pot". so i think they pick "weak" characteristics (not ones unique to the group) in order to attach them to that group. hair and skin colour are weak ones for me.

i was under the illusion DR was such a country where it was a "melting pot" but your post suggests otherwise though. wikipedia is not the best of sources but here it says: "According to the CIA World Fact Book, the ethnic composition of the Dominican population is, 73% Mixed, 16% White and 11% Black." so maybe if the mixed people have a distinct look i can see how an AA could be confused as being dominican if they have those traits. i'm not trying to prove you wrong because personally, i have not come across many dominicans so would personally not be able to tell if they all share a similar "look". i can only base things off what i read.

so i can see how the other poster said if people are confusing AAs for dominicans it could just be so say they look "black" or "mixed", which according to that statistic may hold some truth. add in the "domincan blowout" type hair and then yeah, maybe hair is playing a factor into what others are assuming someone's ethnicity to be.

I in no way thought you were saying people were ignorant. The dominican republic is a melting pot in a since but that definition from wikipedia doesnt fully describe them at all. They themselves have different terms for identifying people based on their looks. It was a while ago (2000) when I was there so my memory is a bit foggy but for example one of them was trieno (sp?) and they went so far with this that their terms were at one point part of the official governmental terms used to describe race (like in a census) so it wasnt just white, mixed, black. They had like 5-8 terms if I am remembering correctly.

Last edited:
I have a white male friend that swears all asian people are chinese and I set him up with my friend from Laos.

It might have lasted if he would have stopped trying to impress her with his knowledge of sushi (which is neither chinese or laotian). :lachen:

:lol: I'm sorry but this reminded me of a "King of the Hill" episode where their new Laotian neighbors move in and Hank and the guys ask Kahn "Are you Chinese or Japanese?". Kahn explains to them his country; where its located, the population, etc. After his detailed explanation, Hank proceeds to ask him again "So...are you Chinese or Japanese?" LOL!

For real!!! Yes, to the section bolded in red. :lachen:

Are Dominican people descendants of African slaves, too? I noticed you didn't mention them.

I forgot to say that people think I'm Dominican, too. Most people think I'm Nigerian though. It's weird. People think my father is Kenyan, they think my mother is Ethiopian, and they think I'm Nigerian. I'm just Black people! I have a great grandmother that's Cherokee, but I don't think that even counts! :lol:

Yes. The Dominican Republic is part of the Spanish speaking Caribbean. Haiti and DR were one country for a time.

Lys

I don't take offense to people mistaking my ethnicity. It's no big deal. I actually find it amusing some of they stuff people come up with. I've had:

a white guy think I was Ethopian
a Mexican guy think I was Dominican
and a Korean girl think I was Chinese (?!?!)

While I always respectfully let them know that I am not significantly mixed with any other race and I'm an nth generation black american, I don't read too much into their inquiries. Life's too short to be walking around offended all the time.

I in no way thought you were saying people were ignorant. The dominican republic is a melting pot in a since but that definition from wikipedia doesnt fully describe them at all. They themselves have different terms for identifying people based on their looks. It was a while ago (2000) when I was there so my memory is a bit foggy but for example one of them was trieno (sp?) and they went so far with this that their terms were at one point part of the official governmental terms used to describe race (like in a census) so it wasnt just white, mixed, black. They had like 5-8 terms if I am remembering correctly.

thanks for expanding on this! :) i find it pretty interesting.

When asked where are you from I simply ask people to guess. I have had people speak languages I speak in front of me not knowing Im from where they are from.

For the Domican looks.To me Dominicans and Haitians tend to look alike cause they are the same country. For the most part Domicans look a bit different because a lot of them are a mixture of black and Middle Eastern.

I get asked where I'm from, because I have been told, Black American girls who got natural hair, their hair is not that wavt or etc.

I was just saying on the other thread how people expect natural hair to be coarser or kinky. Many people from other countries always asks am I from Brazil or any South American country that has a large Black population.

But's that only from people from other countries. Now Black Americans :lol: that's a different story.

Yes, it does seem like when it comes to Black Americans and their "hair care" it's a questionable concern that we're all weaved up, or supernappified...

We're simply not that educated about the care necessary.

But mlah, whatever.

Yes- depending on how I wear my hair, I get hispanic, from non-black ppl. Also experienced ppl speaking to me in Spanish. All I ever get from black (men) is "You from Loooosiana?" :rolleyes:

People only ask me if my parents are from Louisiana. My mama is from Lake Charles, Louisiana.

I have gotten asked if I am from DR or Trinidad

I don't necessarily mind if I am being asked ... but I do hate when they argue with me and tell me I am denying my heritage :look:

When I was in school I would ask people questions and they would respond in Spanish ..... ( I don't speak a bit of Spanish and these were white professors)
:rolleyes:

When my hair is straight , East Indian and Somalian ...just this week a Somalian client told me I Look like her cousin.

When asked where are you from I simply ask people to guess. I have had people speak languages I speak in front of me not knowing Im from where they are from.

For the Domican looks.To me Dominicans and Haitians tend to look alike cause they are the same country. For the most part Domicans look a bit different because a lot of them are a mixture of black and Middle Eastern.
Alot of Haitians are mixed w/ Arab and East Indian too. There really is no diff. b/t Haitians and Dominicans racially ethnically. I know tons of Haitians who are straight up Arab decendants, they features the names and all.
Also Haitians with white skin, green/blue eyes, and golden blond hair, but people mistake them for French, light PR's, etc... they just can't imagine there are any light skinned mixed Haitians.

East Indians think I am East Indian. Middle Eastern people think I'm East Indian. Black people know I'm Black or they think I'm mixed (Creole, biracial, half Hispanic), but most know I'm Black. White people know I'm Black too.

I always thought it was funny that people from the actual country thought I was from there too. I went to high school with this East Indian girl, and everyone would get us mixed up.

Once I'm 100% natural, I don't think anyone is going to mistake me for an East Indian anymore.

Yup all the time by both blacks and whites. It's really funny when Hispanics start talking to me in spanish first. hmmm let me see. And Indian said he has a cousin that looks just like me. And Had a Brazilian lady chase me down talking in Portuguese because she was sure I was from there. Oh and that one time when they were trippin in the airport in the Dominican Republic they argued me down that I was from there :lachen:.I'm like how you gonna tell me where I'm from? These things happen alot more when I wear my hair down.

I get that all the time too! People start talking to me in their native language then act all surprised (or OFFENDED) that I don't speak it. People will literally argue with me, like they think I'm trying to deny my true heritage or something. I'm like, I promise you I'm just plain ol' black.

I've been told by a few people it's because my facial features are racially ambiguous. :rolleyes: Whatever. I think it's my perm. People think it's my natural hair. Motivation for me to go natural.

It used to really hurt my feelings (I've started crying a few times when too many people bug me about it) but now I just go with it. Like, oh you got me. Sure I'm Ethiopian, half-white, half-Asian, Egyptian, Indian, Middle Eastern, whatever you want me to be. Whatever. :ohwell:

Edit: However, some of yall.....I woulda been asking too. *hides*

Last edited:
Alot of Haitians are mixed w/ Arab and East Indian too. There really is no diff. b/t Haitians and Dominicans racially ethnically. I know tons of Haitians who are straight up Arab decendants, they features the names and all.
Also Haitians with white skin, green/blue eyes, and golden blond hair, but people mistake them for French, light PR's, etc... they just can't imagine there are any light skinned mixed Haitians.

That is correct mostly Syrian and Jewish. But to a lot of Dominicans there is a difference. So often you find names like Rothchild folks look confused. Im Haitian, Southern my town is known for those features. Im very proud of my Haitian origin, a lot of us get mistaken for anything but Haitian/ Black. Its funny even Haitians themselves assume things about eachother. Some of my Haitian clients will speak creole in front of me thinking they are having a secret convo. When I answer you should see the jaws drop.

When I was wearing my hair curly I suddenly had a lot of people asking if I was from Egypt or Ethiopia. I met more Ethiopians than I ever had before. It's like they came from out of the woodworks. People also asked if I was Native American. I got a lot of people asking me if I was from California-- but to this day I have no idea what that meant. I've never even been to the west coast before. It was interesting, tho- because you meet and talk to more people than usual. It's kinda funny because people usually assume I am whatever nationality they are. (except white- that one was funny!)

OT: Whip Effectz- Your hair is growing out beautifully! It looks amazing!!

i can see some coptic.

At the ESL/Adult lit school where I teach there are many Hispanics from different countries; a group of goofy young Dominican boys were trying to claim me really hard. They gave me that same "are you sure you aren't...?" line :rolleyes:. A few of the other more reasonable students had assumed I was from somewhere other than Georgia, USA, as well.

I attribute it to skin color, hair, T&A :ohwell:.

Usually black dudes have the most to say, and that's all to do with hair I'm sure.

I am fascinated by this thread. So many thought-provoking responses.
I have been into my regular hairdressers and found out later that they thought I was from Brazil.
A number of people have suggested I'm from South America...quite a broad area LOL!!!
A few women have approached me in the street in the area I live addressing me in Urdu etc.
I can't tell the number of times I've been asked if I'm mixed race.
When my hair is longer I can see this getting worse as black people can't have "good" hair [sic].

People never usually think I am from another country but I have had several people ask me if I am bi-racial when I wear my hair curly. :perplexed

Even though my father is bi-racial, I never entertain those kinds of inquires by breaking down my bloodlines, I just say, no I'm Black/AA, that's it! lol

Back