Your Hairstyles/Ethnic Confusion

Well, is it safe to say that you can identify certain traits in people that are deeply rooted and are prominent? For example, having a 4b, straight-up afro hair leans towards African roots (one can assume). I'm not saying that every dark-skinned person has to be Black, I'm just saying that there are traits in some people that are genetically inescapable.

I have a friend who is Puerto Rican and has very thick 4b hair. She gets relaxers and has features that are that of an African American woman but has lighter skin and lighter hair. From what I understand, Puerto Rico has lots of racial mixing between West Indian, African and Spanish background. Anywho, someone asked her if she was Black and she became furious and said, "No, I am NOT Black, I am Puerto Rican!" I wasn't so quick to say "Yeah, you are..." but she put out her own ignorance by dismissing that she had ANY trace of African blood in her and replacing her race with her country's flag instead.

I am just saying that "Puerto Rican" or "Dominican" isn't a race, it defines where one's country of origin is. A culture, but not a race. It's not like I'm talking to a Korean woman and asking her if she's Chinese. If this girl can simply use Puerto Rico as her race, then does that justify me saying that I am not Black, I'm American?

Just something I thought about... correct me if I'm wrong..

Well, is it safe to say that you can identify certain traits in people that are deeply rooted and are prominent? For example, having a 4b, straight-up afro hair leans towards African roots (one can assume). I'm not saying that every dark-skinned person has to be Black, I'm just saying that there are traits in some people that are genetically inescapable.

I have a friend who is Puerto Rican and has very thick 4b hair. She gets relaxers and has features that are that of an African American woman but has lighter skin and lighter hair. From what I understand, Puerto Rico has lots of racial mixing between West Indian, African and Spanish background. Anywho, someone asked her if she was Black and she became furious and said, "No, I am NOT Black, I am Puerto Rican!" I wasn't so quick to say "Yeah, you are..." but she put out her own ignorance by dismissing that she had ANY trace of African blood in her and replacing her race with her country's flag instead.

I am just saying that "Puerto Rican" or "Dominican" isn't a race, it defines where one's country of origin is. A culture, but not a race. It's not like I'm talking to a Korean woman and asking her if she's Chinese. If this girl can simply use Puerto Rico as her race, then does that justify me saying that I am not Black, I'm American?

Just something I thought about... correct me if I'm wrong..

No you're right. I hate when people do that.

I knew a Puerto Rican girl who called herself a Negro-rican. She was black and proud, Haha!

So, if someone says you look Dominican, essentially they're saying you look "Black" or "Mixed". But just cause they speak another language and have a different culture, doesn't change their race.:nono: Hate to burst some bubbles....

Nah, I'll have to disagree with you. Dominicans have a distinctive look to me. It's something about their skin tone, it's more reddish. And they also have more pronounced jaw lines. Or is that just me?

Yes- depending on how I wear my hair, I get hispanic, from non-black ppl. Also experienced ppl speaking to me in Spanish. All I ever get from black (men) is "You from Loooosiana?" :rolleyes:

You do look like a Louisianian. We have a very distinctive look. I can usually spot one from a mile away....lol. But most of the time the rosaries give it away:lachen:

Nah, I'll have to disagree with you. Dominicans have a distinctive look to me. It's something about their skin tone, it's more reddish. And they also have more pronounced jaw lines. Or is that just me?

I know what ya mean---I can tell when someone is from the Carribbean/West Indies.....and most of the time I am right I can't narrow it down to the actual place---but I am right and my other friends will be like how did you know that---I dont know how I know, but I just know.

I've seen people like that who are brown to dark brown and they have a hue or tint to their skin, same with (east) indians they can get dark if not darker than AA's and its not the exact same as AA complexions, but falls in the same range I can't explain it

Last edited:
No you're right. I hate when people do that.

I knew a Puerto Rican girl who called herself a Negro-rican. She was black and proud, Haha!

Thats the science behind my screen name---at the end of the day I am black. But my mother is Costa Rican/My Father is black.....and I call me self a CoCoRica, cause I am coco-colored and I have Ricans in my ethnic background (Costa Ricans that is)......most people wldn't know that by looking at me and some people inquire as to what I am or what country I am from.

Hehe, you dont look Trinidadian to me:rolleyes:

I have gotten asked if I am from DR or Trinidad

I don't necessarily mind if I am being asked ... but I do hate when they argue with me and tell me I am denying my heritage :look:

When I was in school I would ask people questions and they would respond in Spanish ..... ( I don't speak a bit of Spanish and these were white professors)
:rolleyes:

I know what ya mean---I can tell when someone is from the Carribbean/West Indies.....and most of the time I am right I can't narrow it down to the actual place---but I am right and my other friends will be like how did you know that---I dont know how I know, but I just know.

I've seen people like that who are brown to dark brown and they have a hue or tint to their skin, same with (east) indians they can get dark if not darker than AA's and its not the exact same as AA complexions, but falls in the same range I can't explain it

I totally know what you mean. :yep:

Errrr... that may be just you... there are African-born people that have pronounced jaw lines as well. That may be a dominant Black trait as well. And skintone...well, that can't exactly determine race so much. Black people come in all shades and not every Dominican person has "reddish" skin. That would be stereotyping :-( (That's like saying that AA people are dark brown, and that would certainly rule me out.)

DR was just an example of people not knowing anything about a country's people and asking the first person they think looks "different" if they are Dominican just because one has long hair and lighter skin without any prior knowledge about the country's people at all. It's like they just blurt out some exotic country or something....IDK..

Some Dominicans do have a more pronounced jaw line. Some just look like AA people

I however get approached by hispanics all the time speaking in spanish and I have to reply no habla espanol. Even at the Dominican shop on a regular basis. I have also been asked if I was Indian/ Chinese when my hair is straight? Brazilian one time when my hair was straight.
I just find it funny and wonder why are these people so closed minded. I am fair skin with dark brown hair and that can't be perceived as AA???

Have you ever worn a certain hair style or length and "appeared" to look a different race/creed or nationality?

When I have had straight hair styles that were jet black and long, I begin getting those "You look Indian (Native A) or Dominican"... and if it's long and curly, people usually begin thinking I'm Dominican. They don't ask, they assume.

I know I'm not the only one with this... :lachen:

Yes and it bothers me, especially when they are reluctant to believe that you are just a Black woman. I use to think it was cute, because it sounded exotic, but now that I am older I feel that it's a bit insulting to my just being a Black woman who happens to have some hair.

People ask me where I'm from sometimes. And I've had people ask me what I'm mixed with. I've also heard that I don't look like a "regular" black girl....:ohwell:

When I had locs people who probably didn't know any Jamaicans would ask if I was Jamaican.

When I wear a headwrap now a lot of people assume I'm Muslim, even though what I wear is nothing like the hijab style wrap.

Once when I was wearing a little fez this guy came up and asked, "Are you Islamic?" but I think that was just a crazy L.A. thing.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

My sister and I get this all the time. We have been called dominicans, P. ricans, somlian, ethopian, arabic, indian, and everthing else not black. We get the u don't have the "typical black girl look" comments all the time. that pisses me off because I'm like what is that suppose to mean? it really bothers me when i'm out with a group of my friends and people say stuff like that. I know comments like that has to bother them too, they just never say it. i can't stand ignorance!

Back