You can have healthy hair w/ regular heat use.

honeybadgirl said:
thanks a million!! i have used the motions before and liked alot. the pre poo is the aphogee moisturizing conditioner. thanks for reposting. i couldnt get on until this evening:) how can you tell if a conditioner is both or just one (moisturizing and deep)? will it actually say it on the bottle?
Well, sometimes a product will actually say it's a deep conditioner on the container or bottle. For instance, I have Doo Gro Deep Down Intense Penetrating Conditioner as one of my deep conditioners. For those that don't specifically say this, usually if something says to leave on 10 or 15 minutes, then it's a deep conditioner (like Motions Moisture Plus says to rinse with tepid water after 15 minutes). However, some deep conditioners work faster. For those that work in less than 10 minutes, you usually need confirmation on the bottle somewhere that it is in fact a deep conditioner and not just a regular moisturizing conditioner. I also have Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Fortifying Deep Conditioner and it's a 3 Minute Masque. Other conditioners that are just moisturizing will usually say in the directions to leave on for approximately 2-5 minutes and then rinse out. If the moisturizing conditioner doesn't specifically say it's also a deep conditioner or give you further instructions for deeper conditioning, then it's safe to assume moisturizing is all it's gonna do.

It depends on the person's hair--not everyone's hair can take the same amount of heat or the same usage of heat

I agree witcha navsgeda. I've found that my hair is affected by frequency more than temperature. This is one reason why I had to stop being natural. I liked having straight hair for a long period of time but I had to flat iron it like every other day. My natural hair started breaking off.

Now that I'm permed, I only have to do it twice a week, even if I sweat a little. When I was natural, one drop of sweat would have my hair in a poof!!

As long as I watch the ends, keep em neat, don't put the heat setting too high and wrap consistently, I don't have any issues. As for growth, I'll be reaching my goal ahead of schedule, but that's a whole nuther story (see my journal if you like!).

Heat isn't bad, its just how you use it.

navsegda said:
Well, sometimes a product will actually say it's a deep conditioner on the container or bottle. For instance, I have Doo Gro Deep Down Intense Penetrating Conditioner as one of my deep conditioners. For those that don't specifically say this, usually if something says to leave on 10 or 15 minutes, then it's a deep conditioner (like Motions Moisture Plus says to rinse with tepid water after 15 minutes). However, some deep conditioners work faster. For those that work in less than 10 minutes, you usually need confirmation on the bottle somewhere that it is in fact a deep conditioner and not just a regular moisturizing conditioner. I also have Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Fortifying Deep Conditioner and it's a 3 Minute Masque. Other conditioners that are just moisturizing will usually say in the directions to leave on for approximately 2-5 minutes and then rinse out. If the moisturizing conditioner doesn't specifically say it's also a deep conditioner or give you further instructions for deeper conditioning, then it's safe to assume moisturizing is all it's gonna do.

thanks navsegda!!!! you're a friend in my head!!! :grin:

I need to try the motions conditioner. I am looking for a good deep conditioner. I may also try some dominican products from a friend.

I'm a natural 4a and I have to say that heat isn't bad, it's overuse of heat that causes the damage. I am still working to find a balance, because I wear my hair straightened by my MG/Sedu duo. But...so far using heat twice a month is working out the best for me.

It's just hard to stick to that because sometimes my hair sweats out and I have to rewash it, or sometimes I just want to wash more than once a week and to get a straight style on this head of hair you almost HAVE to blow dry.

Although I'm currently experimenting wtih blowdrying on the lowest level of heat. It's going "okaaaaay". But I wish it were easier. (laughs)

Everyone just has to find what works for them. Just last week I was ready to relax after 5 years natural. Now it's like no way I'm staying natural and keeping an eye on my heat usage.

My question for the ladies who used heat in the past without significant growth is: when you used heat on your hair, what did you do in between heat applications? Did you apply any moisturizer? Did you wear protective hair styles? The reason I ask is because I am curious to see if the care you give your hair in between heat applications has any merit.

I though hair grew from the scalp….. so, if you minimize breakage from heat application, shouldn’t the hair still grow?

lovegan said:
My question for the ladies who used heat in the past without significant growth is: when you used heat on your hair, what did you do in between heat applications? Did you apply any moisturizer? Did you wear protective hair styles? The reason I ask is because I am curious to see if the care you give your hair in between heat applications has any merit.

I though hair grew from the scalp….. so, if you minimize breakage from heat application, shouldn’t the hair still grow?

i didnt do a darn thing to it in between i put it in a bun at night and put a bunch of oil on it inbetween and then just hot curled the piss out of my ends on a daily basis,.... thus the reason my hair was stuck at bra-strap. i think if i cut heat down to a very minimal i could still retain length.

OT what is a good reconstructor to get with a minimal amount of protien.

Qetesh said:
i didnt do a darn thing to it in between i put it in a bun at night and put a bunch of oil on it inbetween and then just hot curled the piss out of my ends on a daily basis,.... thus the reason my hair was stuck at bra-strap. i think if i cut heat down to a very minimal i could still retain length.

OT what is a good reconstructor to get with a minimal amount of protien.

oooh not sure about MINIMAL amount of protein. i've always like joico products though. saved me from baldness a few times!! :eek:

I dont how using heat regularly will effect my hair. But I question for many who used it 2 x or more per week, how often did they wash their hair? For me I will only use heat via flat iron on freshly washed and dried hair and will not use it again until i washed my hair again

Oooh...that's a hard one haha. I have so many lol. There are many good, reasonably priced heat protectants out there. But since you have a CHI flat iron and curling iron already, I think you would absolutely LOVE the Chi Silk Infusion Reconstructing Complex (it contains no alcohol, so it won't dry your hair out and it doesn't buildup). Not only is it a great protectant (three major silicones are listed as the first ingredients: cylcomethicone, dimethiconol, and dimethicone), but it has silk proteins which will penetrate at the maximum into your hair by using the ceramic heat from the flat iron but the high silicone barrier prevents the actual heat from damaging your hair (cell membranes let certain things through and other things they do not). But bottom line, it reconstructs and strengthens the hair while protecting it from heat damage, so that's one reason I love it sooooooo much.

I also have Nexxus Heat Protexx (really good), JOICO Reconstruct Leave-In Protectant (it's supposed to prevent thermal and environmental damage), Garnier Sleek and Shine Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum, to name a few.

So yeah, if I could only choose two out of all these, I'd buy CHI Silk Infusion and the Nexxus Heat Protexx. If I could only choose one, CHI Silk Infusion. You can find it at Trade Secret, JCPenney salon, etc. etc. I bought one of mine from JCPenney and the other two from folica.com.

@Beamodel, this is good info on the CHI protectant.

This thread is old as dirt, but I'm glad it was bumped because it's the most informative read on heat and heat protectants I've come across!

after wash and go's and heat free styling tore up the ends of my relaxed hair I have gone back to using heat regularly the past two months and my hair is much healthier already.

Here is my Reggie
Every 2 weeks- pre poo with hair mayo and oil mixture (Jamaican black castor oil, grapeseed oil and olive oil)..I usually put on a plastic cap and leave mixture on hair for a couple hours. I then wash then deep condition under dryer for an hour. I blow dry then flat iron my hair.

Nightly- wrap, moisturise and seal (Keracare overnight cream and cream of nature hair serum)

For the first week after flat ironing I wear my hair down. Week 2 I protective style and mostly wear buns (high and low)

My hair feels great and breakage has decreased. I'm hoping this regimen gets me to BSL

also I do not touch up my hair with heat in between flat iron sessions. If my hair gets frizzy or if I sweat it out during a workout (I am 4 months post relaxer right now) I start bunning my hair or use flexi rods to make it curly. The flat iron only touches my hair 2x a month.

Back