Any Relaxed Heat Stylers w/ Healthy Hair??

macherieamour said:
Man, I wish I could go to the salon everyday:look: Id be broke for days....

Ok so this is what I do. I wash my hair every four days because a) I work out 5x a week and b) I read that conditioner only works for four days c) i like a clean scalp.

I use heat in some form every 4 days. I blowdry and flat iron on Wednesday and rollerset and wrap on Sunday. I wear my hair down everyday and trim any split ends I see daily.

If I have some spare cash, I go to Toppers Spa and Salon on 19th (between walnut and chestnut) to see Albert. He has a lot of black clients and blow dries sooo gently. I dont go often because I dotn like his "wash" girl ( she doesnt wash like I do) and its a little on the pricey side. Its prob like 50 for a blowout.

I think heat styling is like working out. If you go to the gym and do the same thing ( like running) everyday, you will lose a ton of weight but after a while you might wear down your muscles and joints.

If you go to the gym and alternate your work outs you get the maximum results. Like, the day you work out your arms, your legs get to rest.

I do not have abnormally strong hair either. If I blowdry every time I do my hair, I will thin it out. If I rollerset every four days for months, my hair starts getting weak around the area that supports the weight of the roller. I couldnt freakin win:mad:

So by alternating, I try to prevent my hair from getting used to one method. Im super gentle with both. Im sooo anal. I like lay the hair gently on the roller or super lightly blowdry my hair, hahhaha. My bf will walk in and be like, :huh: Also, when i rollerset, I had to teach myself different ways to set hair so it doesnt get used to the same ole two step. Rolling up, down, sideways, zig zag, lol. It seems to be working well:look:

Thank you so much for sharing that! It seriously meant a lot to me. What kind of dryer (hooded) do you have? And do you think the dryer helps with the quality of the rollerwraps?

Uh Uh!!! Leave me alone creole! Leave-me-a-lone!!!! :lol: I saw your name pop up on this thread and said Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Lawd here we go!:lachen:

this is for you :kiss: :kissing4: :kissing4: :kissing4: :kissing4: :kisses: :kiss: :kiss: and one big, fat sloppy one :kiss: because I know you can't take it!:lachen:

now go' on now! :rofl:

macherieamour said:
Man, I wish I could go to the salon everyday:look: Id be broke for days....

Ok so this is what I do. I wash my hair every four days because a) I work out 5x a week and b) I read that conditioner only works for four days c) i like a clean scalp.

I use heat in some form every 4 days. I blowdry and flat iron on Wednesday and rollerset and wrap on Sunday. I wear my hair down everyday and trim any split ends I see daily.

If I have some spare cash, I go to Toppers Spa and Salon on 19th (between walnut and chestnut) to see Albert. He has a lot of black clients and blow dries sooo gently. I dont go often because I dotn like his "wash" girl ( she doesnt wash like I do) and its a little on the pricey side. Its prob like 50 for a blowout.

I think heat styling is like working out. If you go to the gym and do the same thing ( like running) everyday, you will lose a ton of weight but after a while you might wear down your muscles and joints.

If you go to the gym and alternate your work outs you get the maximum results. Like, the day you work out your arms, your legs get to rest.

I do not have abnormally strong hair either. If I blowdry every time I do my hair, I will thin it out. If I rollerset every four days for months, my hair starts getting weak around the area that supports the weight of the roller. I couldnt freakin win:mad:

So by alternating, I try to prevent my hair from getting used to one method. Im super gentle with both. Im sooo anal. I like lay the hair gently on the roller or super lightly blowdry my hair, hahhaha. My bf will walk in and be like, :huh: Also, when i rollerset, I had to teach myself different ways to set hair so it doesnt get used to the same ole two step. Rolling up, down, sideways, zig zag, lol. It seems to be working well:look:

The same thing happens to me MacherieAmour!! I can't blowdry my hair every time I wash or my hair thins out. I have been rollersetting my hair weekly since late last summer and guess what I have noticed my temple area thinning!!! I can't win for losing. I think I will start alternating methods also, and switching the way I roll my hair when setting. Hopefully I can come up with a combination that works for me.

Your hair is looking really pretty by the way:grin:

ME ME ME ME ME ME

Im a heat girl..

and I relax and have color..

and my hair is pretty dern healthy...

I am not going to stop relaxing my hair :lol:
I hate buns (mainly cuz I dont know how to do them that well :lol: ) as well as most protective styles that need to be set on wet hair :lol:
My hair rebels against most styles that arent heat aided...

I love wearing my hair down, and If I can get how to do a roller set down I think Ill be in the money :D - Im thinking I might be using the wrong size rollers :think: ...back on topic...

MizaniMami the more I read your posts the more I realize that we think so much hairalike :lol:

Cathy Howse as well as Shamboosie recommend heat styling. Cathy Howse recommends smoothing the hair with a curling/flat iron 2x a week after washing/conditioning and Shamboosie even more often. Shamboosie does recommend using heat protectants whereas Cathy did not.

vickiepickles said:
Cathy Howse as well as Shamboosie recommend heat styling. Cathy Howse recommends smoothing the hair with a curling/flat iron 2x a week after washing/conditioning and Shamboosie even more often. Shamboosie does recommend using heat protectants whereas Cathy did not.

True she does BUT I don't think she uses a blow dryer. (I'll check her book to be sure though).

I am glad that others use heat, as well. I thought I was an odd one out on it.

I use it and I am swear my hair is better off with it.

But, witn reason, though. I do have to use a LOT of silicone based product before blowdrying and flat-ironing. Way more than most instructions on the bottle suggests. I have to use ionic heat stylers only.

I have a cousin that rollersets but then she uses a curling iron almost everyday. She does not use ionic styling tools and never a heat protectant. Her hair breaks like crazy.

I agree, it must be the way the heat is used that makes the difference.

Last edited:
KhandiB said:
ME ME ME ME ME ME

Im a heat girl..

and I relax and have color..

and my hair is pretty dern healthy...

I am not going to stop relaxing my hair :lol:
I hate buns (mainly cuz I dont know how to do them that well :lol: ) as well as most protective styles that need to be set on wet hair :lol:
My hair rebels against most styles that arent heat aided...

I love wearing my hair down, and If I can get how to do a roller set down I think Ill be in the money :D - Im thinking I might be using the wrong size rollers :think: ...back on topic...

MizaniMami the more I read your posts the more I realize that we think so much hairalike :lol:

I'm glad you stepped into this thread:p

HoneyDew said:
I am glad that others use heat, as well. I thought I was an odd one out on it.

I use it and I am swear my hair is better off with it.

But, witn reason, though. I do have to use a LOT of silicone based product before blowdrying and flat-ironing. Way more than most instructions on the bottle suggests. I have to use ionic heat stylers only.

I have a cousin that rollersets but then she uses a curling iron almost everyday. She does not use ionic styling tools and never a heat protectant. Her hair breaks like crazy.

I agree, it must be the way the heat is used that makes the difference.

Yep HoneyDew, I'm the same way. I like your theory about silicones because I agree.

I'm not relaxed but I am a heat styler - damn blow dryer (HAHA).

I transitioned from relaxed to natural hair about 2 years ago, and have been blowdrying my hair RELIGIOUSLY on a weekly basis (not so much because I liked to blow dry but because I wasn't prepared for my natural hair and didn't know how else to manage it).

My hair is growing great - I cut it off to grace the top of my shoulder last June, and now am about .5" away from bra strap (I'll get my folkti up and running ASAP). What I have noticed: the blow dryer sucks up the moisture out of my hair. It is harder for me to keep my hair moisturized. HOWEVER, it also hard to avoid buildup of products when trying to keep the moisture in. My main moisturizers have been:
- Keracare Essential Oils for the Hair
- Keracare LITE Oil Moisturizer for the Hair
- Elasta QP Mango Butter
- Elasta QP Oil Moisturizer
(I started out using Elasta QP, tried KeraCare and loved it. I"m currently trying to decide between going solely with either KeraCare or Elasta QP).

I've learned a lot on these boards but the biggest lesson is not to get carried away. Some sisters here have some SERIOUS regimens. While I want healthy hair I don't want my life to revolve around my hair - some folks seem to have 4 hour hair washing regimens. That's waaaaaay too much for me.

My Poos and Conditioners:
- Formula's by Ecoly: Papaya Dry Hair Shampoo
- Formula's By Ecoly: Tri-Wheat Reconstructor

...on the days that I wear my hair naturally curly, I use:
- Abba's Nourishing leave-in creme conditioner (GREAT STUFF!!!)
- Formula's by Ecoly: Sage Detangling Conditioner (to detangle the curls in the shower).
...as soon as I find a creme leave in by Formula's by Ecoly, I'll be sticking to their line exclusively....assuming, that I like it.

My motto: less is more. Buns aren't the most flattering things, but they do help maintain your length (folks are getting growth mixed up with maintenance) because your hair is manipulated less and able to support its own moisture balance. I wore my hair in various cornrow styles for 3 months straight and saw my hair grow about 2 inches in the span of 3 months. Why? Because I wasn't doing ANYTHING to it and I kept the braids moist constantly. So again, the less the better...

...but that doesn't mean us heat-addicted sisters can't grow some slammin, healthy, hair. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I was worried. I thought everyone thought I just had good genes and my hair could take a blow torch.

But, Ive had periods where my hair has flourished and periods were my hair stopped growing.

It was super healthy in college when i was rollersetting with Mesh rollers every other week.

Then, I moved to NY and went to this one DS salon. They set on magnectic rollers and then blew it smooth. My hair stopped growing and started breaking and I couldnt understand it. This is the reason why i think that the way heat is used plays a part. I think the stylist I used used more force, handling my hair roughly, etc. Also, she would set it the same way every week. After a while, my hairline thinned out and my hair looked dull.

When my mom did my hair, she was super gentle and, becuase she was standing over me, she held the dryer at a certain angle and used less tension than when i did my hair. I ripped the blow dryer through my hair and curled it every day on high.

Miz- I think that the mesh rollers are best..and under a salon quality dryer. It sucks cause both are like a million dollars. But with the mesh you use end papers ( which protect the ends and keep them "together") and you can get the hair straighter. Also, you are under the dryer for less time. Lastly, you can set your hair quicker since you are doing bigger sections.

Regarding the dryers, its a better circulation of heat. The professional dryers, like Pibbs ( which run around 300 bucks) use a fan allowing the air to circulate around the set and through the mesh rollers. The cheaper dryer just blow air in one direction....on the hair, which is kinda equivalent to using a blowdryer.....but for a longer amount of time....which is damaging.

That said, I cant afford mesh rollers or a 300 dryer so Im making due. But the mesh rollers and dryer are the best way to go for a roller set in my opinion :) Hope that helps.

MESH ROLLERS LIKE THIS?

54a96342-65bf-d230-45f0-1340cca88d77.jpg

what do you use to hold them in place?

I remember asking my old stylist about those and he said they were ok but they wont get you hair as straight and the hair was resting on the metal too much. The ones he uses were from France from a company called MGC. If you do a search, I thinks somone posted the website on a thread.

But Id try em. I was thinking about trying these myself. To clip them, Id use bobby pins. The open ones with the ridges and pin together or the yellow super long pins. I have these things at home. I will try to post a pic after work:)

Kewl, Thanks!!

macherieamour said:
I remember asking my old stylist about those and he said they were ok but they wont get you hair as straight and the hair was resting on the metal too much. The ones he uses were from France from a company called MGC. If you do a search, I thinks somone posted the website on a thread.

But Id try em. I was thinking about trying these myself. To clip them, Id use bobby pins. The open ones with the ridges and pin together or the yellow super long pins. I have these things at home. I will try to post a pic after work:)

macherieamour said:

Is there anything wrong with using the plastic rollers with the snap on closure piece?

KhandiB said:
MESH ROLLERS LIKE THIS?

54a96342-65bf-d230-45f0-1340cca88d77.jpg

what do you use to hold them in place?

I use these and I like them. It took me a minute to get used to the pins that go with them but you can also use long bobby pins. My hair came out nice with them. When I want a curly style I use them. When I want a straight style I use the magnetic ones.

HTH

Well since they are inexpensive, I guess trying them wont hurt.
Cuz I SUCK doing rollersets, so hopefully my hair will dry faster too :)

Is there like a tutorial on rollersetting anywhere on here...

:lol:

simplycee said:
I use these and I like them. It took me a minute to get used to the pins that go with them but you can also use long bobby pins. My hair came out nice with them. When I want a curly style I use them. When I want a straight style I use the magnetic ones.

HTH

So are magnetic rollers best to go with if you are trying to get yoru hair STRAIGHT and silky?? Anybody?

Last edited:
ibm girl said:
I just can't get off the heat, no matter how I try. I need a Heat-Abusers Anonymous or something. Thanks to what I've learned on the board,I have started limiting it, though. I used to blow dry after every wash and use a flat iron. As I got closer to retouch time, I might use the flat iron four times a week. If I had a fresh relaxer I'd try to wrap it, but that would only take me to week two or three. Now I'm trying to roller set and run a quick flat iron through afterwards since I haven't mastered that skill yet. I'm trying really hared *twitch* to avoid the flat iron on any other day, but as I've heard from 12-step programs, I have to take it one day at a time. Just got a touch up after a 14 week...we'll see how I do!

Off topic ...MCA your hair is FABULOUS. Truly. I was just telling my sisters and mother about this site so they can be inspired by beautiful heads of hair just like yours. I know I sounded like I joined a cult, but I love all the info I'm getting on healthy hair! Thanks to all!

If you need a Heat-Abusers Anonymous club then I need help too but the opposite end of the spectrum. It is so now I would rather die than put a curling iron, flat iron and I can't even bring myself to say blow dry. How funny :)

I believe no heat and bunning as helped my hair. I bun for 6 months at a time and visit a stylist once or twice a month and she will use heat on my hair but I never will at home. I am very disciplined and desire healthy hair.

Right now-it sucks because no heat and bunning doesn't seem to be contributing to my growth (as I desire simply to have my ends brush my shoulder blades) but I know my hair is healthy and that is most important to me.

MCA-- I must concur you hair is to die for. I visited your Fotki the other day and you have inspired me all over again.

planodiva said:
I bun for 6 months at a time and ...

CreoleInDC couldn't do this. Bun for 6 months? Ain't no way. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cute for all that. *sigh*

Why do you do it if it's not helping maintain your hair growth resulting in lengthier locks?

CreoleInDC said:
CreoleInDC couldn't do this. Bun for 6 months? Ain't no way. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cute for all that. *sigh*

Why do you do it if it's not helping maintain your hair growth resulting in lengthier locks?

OK, This Cracked me UP!!!! :lachen:

But I feel you..I feel the EXACT same way..

I needs me some Variety :lol:

*2 snaps up *

KhandiB said:
OK, This Cracked me UP!!!! :lachen:

But I feel you..I feel the EXACT same way..

I needs me some Variety :lol:

*2 snaps up *

I chuckled when I read this too. Yall are making me confused. I want to do the no (I'm lying I meant LOW) heat thing, but if it's not gonna help what's the point???

So I just used Babelfish and translated some questions in french to the people who have those rollers macherie was talking about..

Im soooooooooo Pressed *snicker*

and Lawdy Be they are expensive :|

MizaniMami said:
I chuckled when I read this too. Yall are making me confused. I want to do the no (I'm lying I meant LOW) heat thing, but if it's not gonna help what's the point???

Im doing low heat..

I use heat once a week.. Isnt that Low ?? :lol:

Im just jiving with you :lol:

KhandiB said:
OK, This Cracked me UP!!!! :lachen:But I feel you..I feel the EXACT same way..I needs me some Variety :lol: *2 snaps up *

Now I gotta say this about bunning.

This is nothing simpler to do. If you're having a bad hair day it's quite simple to put into a bun...which leads me to ponder....bunning half a year COULD be just because it's a lazy, easy thing to do. Me...I understand lazy. Hell...I'm lying on the sofa dozing in and out now...BUT...I love being cute, looking cute, and dressing jazzy. Imagine me in some fiya heels, with a mad cute *** top...some jazzy jeans fitting just right...a SUPER cute cropped jacket...gorgeous, supple, purse....and a damn bun. Yeah right.

I think this hair thing needs to be realistic. Sure...I want to learn how to keep it healthy and maintain it...but if I have to look a hot damn mess to achieve this...then...uh...no. Because I never looked a hot mess before and my hair was good and healthy. I'm cutting back on the heat....but by no way will Monica Mingo aka CreoleInDC walk around bunning for 6 months.

That might work for some...but...as I have said before...I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cute for all that. If I offended anyone...sorry...but hey...it was bound to happen eventually so it's good that we get it out the way.

Bunning for 6 months (shaking my head...just shaking my head.)

Last edited:
Back