You Adore LongHairDontCare's Results, but Are You Willing to Adopt Her Regimen?

I've been thinking about braiding, but had such a bad experience last time I'm apprehensive. I really love braiding and how they look.

How do you avoid the itching when leaving in longer than two weeks? I'm itching now just thinking about it. :sad:

off to find a braider who won't rip out my hair from the root in brooklyn/nyc - using my own relaxed hair (7 weeks post)

I'm probably so late to this party, but to be quite honest with you, I did this regimen back in the day. Everytime I used to get my hair braided I blow dried my hair. I went about a month without washing my hair, I may have used some astringent ( SeaBreeze) on a cotten ball to clean in between the braids. However, at the end of a the day, it wasn't a really big deal and my hair grew pretty well.

Hmm, why would I not do the same now? I really don't know....I like washing my hair 1x/week and playing with my products....who knows :)

Good luck. If you don't like the results, you can always go back to what you know :)

off to find a braider who won't rip out my hair from the root in brooklyn/nyc - using my own relaxed hair (7 weeks post)
If you're going to simply get cornrows you could just go on youtube and watch some tutorials on that, its not hard at all. If you wanna get crochet braids, chocolatetresses and a bunch of other ladies have awesome tut's on that too.

But if you still wanna go to a professional braider ask some friends for recommendations and if you can't get a referral that way just stroll into some braid shops in brooklyn sit down like you're waiting for a friend and watch them and their technique to see weather or not they're braiding too tight/ listening to their customers etc:yep:

WAAYYY back when I was transitioning I used to go to the braid shop on Hoyt street, I had a wonderful braider by the name of Aisha she moved away now and idk who works there so I can't really vouch for them anymore but thats where I used to go in bk.

I had it done at the salon. She used Dred Spring hair. MSA found a link to buy the hair on-line. BRB.

ETA - this is the hair: http://www.lfhair.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=17292

I was foolish enough to wash my hair the very next day and I nearly died(http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=9112216#post9112216)

They held up great with weekly washing and a bit of gel on the edges. I had to show family members and friends over the holidays that it was weave and NOT my hair. That was the first time in life that I had to prove that my hair WAS weave.:lachen:

It looked great up until the end too. I had a meeting at work on 12/14 (install was 10/17) and a few coworkers asked if it was my new install. I told them no, it was the same hair from 10/17.:grin: It looks better with time, at least the twisted crochet braids. I never tried any other kind.
I just got cornrows w/ extensions today,but when these come down i am soooo doing this!This is very pretty!

I could not go to work everyday in cornrows.

Me neither. I plan to get my hair done in a spiral style like when prepping for sew in weave or similar and wrapping it up like this or with a silk scarf and hat on top hat everyday. I'm gonna try and do this at some point before warmer weather arrives. Oh, and I definitely would wash my hair - or at the very least cleanse my scalp with water and baking soda. 2 weeks is the max I can go without washing these days.

Last edited:
I had this regimen about 8 years ago, I cut my hair into a TWA and then pretty much straight away started braiding my hair. I washed the braids often though. Anyway, I went from a 4 inch TWA to APL in something like 18 months, pre-hair boards so really didn't pay attention. I didn't do any DCs, nothing .... just wash, grease and braid while still wet. My edges didn't suffer because I changed up the styles every time I took it down.

The problem was that once I got sick of braids and tried to do something different with my hair I got overwhelmed as I really didn't get a chance to know my natural hair. I ended up relaxing it which I still kick myself for.

It's definitely possible and thanks for reminding me. The crochet braids are really pretty.

BMP, out of curiousity why are thinking of changing up your regimen as your hair looks plenty lush to me? Whatever you have been doing so far sure is working.

Thanks for bringing this up. I have been contemplating a reggie like this. I love the simplicty of it. And the natural look of it.
I am currently PS'ing in weaves and braids. I love the simplicty of cornrows but as other posters have mentioned, the only thing holding me back is whether I can wear them to work each day. Also I don't have nearly enough hair to make them look as lush as hers. Mine would end in a very thin and puny tail :nono:. Maybe I could consider doing them with extensions?? :-/

ok im already kinda down with this. Right around thanksgiving i decided to do this. I braid my hair in individual braids with no extensions. I leave it in for at least 3 weeks. I co wash it depending on what im using on my hair and how itchy my scalp feels.

Then take it out and 1ce a month i'm gonna flat iron.

i've only done this two times since, i just took out my other set on fri to get my hair straightened professionally for my bday. After this week guess whats gonna happen? Yup right the hell back to my braids. Im really trying to grow my hair and keep it styled protectively. I would just twist it but ever since i did the Brazilian my twists rn't twisting up as nice as they used to. Its coming along but until then im going with braids. And braids give you that extra hang that twists don't give. they don't shrink up as much.

I think i will add her piece about blowdrying hair before braiding. maybe ! happy hair growing ppl!

i was looking at Longhairdontcare2011 before I came to LHCF properly. I couldn't not [/U][/U]wash my hair for a month because I put in hair gel. I also do no braid cos it's just not me and my hair is not as long as i would like. I am pretrified of putting direct heat on my hair. I might do it if I had her hair dryer?!?!?!

But I like her regime and she has beautiful hair. I like her low manipulation. Taking her advice I try to stay out of my hair as if I had it in braids. I wash every two weeks. Since doing this I have had next to nothing breakage. When I get longer hair though I'll definitely braid in a style that suits me but I'd have to chose a method to straighten the ends. If i braid my hair with my curly ends, they'd come right off in my hands as well as knot up!!!

Last edited:
I wish I could do this but I can't... I work out 5 times a week and sweat on my scalp A LOT so I have to cowash often...

I do wear my hair in pixie braids (no extensions) 3 weeks at a time and take a week or 2 break before putting my hair back in them.

Good luck BMP.

I like the low manipulation method including washing hair infrequently. Lately, I 've been applying Knot Today and Kinky Curly w/ the intention of wearing my hair down but I end up wearing 1 banded pony using silk scrunchies. Last time I wore this 2 weeks straight. I might go for 3 this time or maybe even 4. I sometimes spritz Listerine on my scalp. I usually don't have a problem going a month w/o washing. Btw lhdc gently washes her hair in the braids once they have had a chance to loosen up.

This is my 1 year anniversary on the forum. I will be posting pics soon. Many tks to all the ladies on this forum.

I'm going to try this and put a wig on

My goal is to have 12 inch of natural hair by my birthday in August I currently have 8 in

Last edited:
While, she has lovely hair, no I wouldn't adopt her regimen. My scalp goes crazy if I wait more than 7-10 days to wash it and my hair need some type of moisturizer/leave-in a few times a week (she seems to be against this too). Also, blow drying AND cornrowing seems a surefire way to loose edges.

I am interested in doing crochet braids because I could do a low mani style and still be able to moisturize and wash on a regular basis.

I'm going to try to do something like this. I normally cornrow the front of my hair and twist the back half. I wear it pulled into a bun. I redid it yesterday so I'll try to go a month without taking down the twists and cornrows. I'm going to wash every two weeks.

OP, you should edit your first post with the new information that she DOES wash her hair more than once a week when in braids.

I can't braid, I don't use heat, and I like to wash my hair more often... so I wouldn't adopt her regimen.

I love her hair though!!

I go 4 to 5 weeks without washing my hair. Works for me. Each week i dip a coton ball in some witch hazel and cleanse my scalp, in between the parts. Thats it. My hair thrives.

I learned to stick with what works for me. Though I do like the braiding aspect my hair could not do the washing thing. Her hair is beautiful though. Beautiful.

Even before my HJ I learned I couldn't go longer than a week. Then I had to break that down to 3-4 days. My scalp revolts. I am braiding for the winter with sew-ins, cornrow, and yarnbraids. My hair does love to be braided. I can already see some good growth.

I go 4 to 5 weeks without washing my hair. Works for me. Each week i dip a coton ball in some witch hazel and cleanse my scalp, in between the parts. Thats it. My hair thrives.

I've done this about 2ce with baking soda diluted in water so glad to hear it's working for others. Can anybody tell me if there's a benefit to using the witch hazel above baking soda or vice versa?

I had this regimen about 8 years ago, I cut my hair into a TWA and then pretty much straight away started braiding my hair. I washed the braids often though. Anyway, I went from a 4 inch TWA to APL in something like 18 months, pre-hair boards so really didn't pay attention. I didn't do any DCs, nothing .... just wash, grease and braid while still wet. My edges didn't suffer because I changed up the styles every time I took it down.

The problem was that once I got sick of braids and tried to do something different with my hair I got overwhelmed as I really didn't get a chance to know my natural hair. I ended up relaxing it which I still kick myself for.

It's definitely possible and thanks for reminding me. The crochet braids are really pretty.

BMP, out of curiousity why are thinking of changing up your regimen as your hair looks plenty lush to me? Whatever you have been doing so far sure is working.
Well thanks so much hun thats a great question... I wanna give this a whirl for the home stretch to WL and I think this will be a useful reggie to implement when I need a break for my hair and just wanna let it rest...I'm definitely not throwing out my current reggie, I think this can be a nice addition to it. I love the way its such low manipulation and I found a style (crochet braids) that takes 3 or four hours and lasts a month so I'm excited to try crochet braids and glad it fits in with her reggie overall. Long term PSing is a great prospect for me as a student. Bottom line, I want my hair to look like hers when I reach my goal:love2:

I wish I could do this but I can't... I work out 5 times a week and sweat on my scalp A LOT so I have to cowash often...

I do wear my hair in pixie braids (no extensions) 3 weeks at a time and take a week or 2 break before putting my hair back in them.

Good luck BMP.
I think you've got the jist of it down....I'm gonna edit the original post to include her recent message that she does wash with the braids in.

I'm going to try to do something like this. I normally cornrow the front of my hair and twist the back half. I wear it pulled into a bun. I redid it yesterday so I'll try to go a month without taking down the twists and cornrows. I'm going to wash every two weeks.

OP, you should edit your first post with the new information that she DOES wash her hair more than once a week when in braids.
Yep, I'm on it:yep:

I was thinking of you jen, don't forget to mention your hair is in mini-twists the whole month, I remember when you posted your reggie of not washing all month but cleansing your scalp I thought to myself hmm thats doable and it'll keep your style looking cute.

Her hair is fab and I would definitely adopt a modified version of her regimen. I usually wear my hair braided under a wig anyways, partly to give it a rest and partly to give me a rest. I'm used to DCing every week and I don't see myself breaking that habit. I don't think DCing on braids is at odds with a low-mani regimen, is it?

I'm going to DC this week and cornrow my damp hair. I'll moisturize and seal as needed. DC weekly and cleanse my scalp as needed. Wash with a clarifying poo and henna once a month and braid it back up.

There's a braiding shop in Brooklyn called Louise African Hair Braiding. The shop is on Willoughby between Lawrence and Bridge Streets. The number is (718) 858-7789. The hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day.

***Make sure that you let Louise do your hair---Louise & ONLY Louise.

Those other women=:nono: (hair-ripping galore).

I wish I can do this but I started swimming once a week so I redo my hair when that happens. Maybe in the fall though. Right now I have been PS with braids under a wrap after that I may ps with twists or smaller braids though. Cornrows never suit me unless I do double dutch braids but they dry out fast for me.

Im off to scour my closet for a pack of synthetic hair I know is up there! If I can find it, you best believe I am throwing my hair in some braids today.

I just got a message from LongHairDontCare:
natural 6 yrs

I do wash in braids 2-3x per month in braids. I DON'T wash more than 1x per month if I am NOT braided. Reason? don't have to use a dryer when my hair is braided so I can wash as much as I want. The whole reason for washing 1x per month is because I always blowdry and I need to avoid heat damage as much as possible.[/B]

So there it is she does wash here hair she just doesn't wash it loose for convienience and to cut heat damage. I guess as we all said the key is low manipulation especially with cornrows that are accessible for regular scalp care.
I updated my OP to include this:yep:

Strange, strange. For some reason all braids do something bad to my hair (could have also been technique but too scared to keep trying to find a competent braider) Cornrows pull out the extrafine hair on the edges (the rest is fine but the hairline is extrafine). I got kinkys one time and had to cut about 3 inches of damaged hair off (after it was dipped in hot water). But somehow this lady and my sister who wears micros back to back have thriving hair!!! I guess my only saving grace is relatively fast hairgrowth or i'd have earlength hair!!

Back