Tips from SL to Full SL to APL

i'm also trying for APL from SL. i'm also transitioning; currently rocking three textures right now, natural roots, texlaxed middle and about an inch and a half left of my relaxed ends. i'm moisturizing like mad, wrapping up in a scarf every night, but every time i do a search and destroy i always find gobs of split ends! about two months ago i straightened and snipped about an inch of the relaxed ends, hoping that would cure it. but it seems, my hair likes to split.

i'm getting the split-ender, because i can only get at the ends i can physically see, and because my hair is SL i can't get at about 3/4 of my head adequately. any tips you ladies can offer?

i'm also trying for APL from SL. i'm also transitioning; currently rocking three textures right now, natural roots, texlaxed middle and about an inch and a half left of my relaxed ends. i'm moisturizing like mad, wrapping up in a scarf every night, but every time i do a search and destroy i always find gobs of split ends! about two months ago i straightened and snipped about an inch of the relaxed ends, hoping that would cure it. but it seems, my hair likes to split.

i'm getting the split-ender, because i can only get at the ends i can physically see, and because my hair is SL i can't get at about 3/4 of my head adequately. any tips you ladies can offer?

This might not be too helpful but I would probably go for a trim period. . . hopefully by a professional or just chop to the texlaxed hair and start from there. Are you looking to go completely natural or keep texturizing?

Also I was on a no-trim challenge and just ignored the scissors. I was worried at first, but it eventually helped.

I would say moisturizing, DCing, sealing, and protective styling. Hair is very vulnerable to damage to the ends at this length because it is constantly touching your shirt/jacket collars and such. Try to keep the ends hidden and protected and you will be there in no time.

This might not be too helpful but I would probably go for a trim period. . . hopefully by a professional or just chop to the texlaxed hair and start from there. Are you looking to go completely natural or keep texturizing?

Also I was on a no-trim challenge and just ignored the scissors. I was worried at first, but it eventually helped.

i'm transitioning to natural now. when i started LHCF i was relaxed, then found that texlaxing was something i wanted to try. it was working out well, but then i started seeing all these natural heads of hair, and to be honest, not putting chemicals on my hair started becoming incredibly appealing. so i'm going natural. i think you're right, i need to just let go of the relaxed ends and get down to the texlax. almost there, i'm just not interested in a big chop.

i got my split-ender yesterday, so i'm trying that tonight. hopefully that will help a bunch.

You mentioned leaving your DC in for days and maybe your hair doesn't like this. Maybe your hair needs a break from all that moisture.

Great thread! I just made Collar bone length in the front and the back is full SL so i know your predicament. I will be coming to this thread often for tips.

i'm transitioning to natural now. when i started LHCF i was relaxed, then found that texlaxing was something i wanted to try. it was working out well, but then i started seeing all these natural heads of hair, and to be honest, not putting chemicals on my hair started becoming incredibly appealing. so i'm going natural. i think you're right, i need to just let go of the relaxed ends and get down to the texlax. almost there, i'm just not interested in a big chop.

i got my split-ender yesterday, so i'm trying that tonight. hopefully that will help a bunch.

I'm interested in how that will work for you!

How are ladies who are SL or a little less doing a wet bun? Not all my hair reaches back that far.

You mentioned leaving your DC in for days and maybe your hair doesn't like this. Maybe your hair needs a break from all that moisture.

Yea I let that go. I usually go into that mode when it's summer and I'm cowashing on a daily basis. If I don't rinse it out in a day or two I don't trip so much!

I'm grazing APL. I think I was APL a few months ago and then I had to get a trim. This is my last straighten from Oct 2009

10532_584894065637_19605866_34319227_6907627_n.jpg

I agree, i think what you're doing so far is helping a lot.
I think bunning was one of the major things that helped me at that time, well I wasn't intentionally bunning, I was just too lazy to do my hair, and when I finally washed it, (some days like 2 weeks later, which is bad!! lol) my hair was long as ever.

so carry on moisturizing your hair and bunning, oh and don't forget inward tlc too... water, vitamins.... CARROTS!! yup!

Back