Yo ~~TRACY~~ and other color experts

AceH

:wave: hello there

Tracy, I have read at least a dozen posts regarding cellophanes/colorshines. I must say, you are quite knowledgeable :)

For my next touch up, I want to experiment with colorshines. See, my hair is proabably 1B brown/black, but I've noticed that my hair has lightened quite a bit due to the sun and chemicals. Some parts of my hair, esp. the ends are looking reddish/orange. I know my hair is healthy, but the discoloration makes it look :barf: I'm thinking about a jet black colorshine or something not quite as dark. I like how you break down the benefits of colorshines, but according to how you explain some of the shine benefits, i.e., darker colorshines may = more shine.

Anyway, I want to give this a whirl, but I don't want to mess up in a major way. Is there anything *important* I need to know? I know the product is pretty much safe... Some questions:

1. How soon following the touch up can I use this product?
2. Is deep conditioning probably a few days before using the product recommended?
3. How many applications do YOU usually get out of 1 bottle?
4. How does colorshines compare to Henna?

I'm nervous as heck about doing any color treatments to my hair because I was allergic to dye when I was younger - anything to be worried about here?

Everyone/anyone feel free to chime in :)

andreamaria said:
:wave: hello there

Tracy, I have read at least a dozen posts regarding cellophanes/colorshines. I must say, you are quite knowledgeable :)

For my next touch up, I want to experiment with colorshines. See, my hair is proabably 1B brown/black, but I've noticed that my hair has lightened quite a bit due to the sun and chemicals. Some parts of my hair, esp. the ends are looking reddish/orange. I know my hair is healthy, but the discoloration makes it look :barf: I'm thinking about a jet black colorshine or something not quite as dark. I like how you break down the benefits of colorshines, but according to how you explain some of the shine benefits, i.e., darker colorshines may = more shine.

Anyway, I want to give this a whirl, but I don't want to mess up in a major way. Is there anything *important* I need to know? I know the product is pretty much safe... Some questions:

2. Is deep conditioning probably a few days before using the product recommended?

I'm nervous as heck about doing any color treatments to my hair because I was allergic to dye when I was younger - anything to be worried about here?

Everyone/anyone feel free to chime in :)

YO ANDREA! :grin:

You can use colorshines directly after a touch up if you like. I wouldn't go with their black - I would go with a color called Neutral Brown. It looks black but it's got a better base color and it bleeds less and washes out without incident.

I would deep condition RIGHT before you apply it with a MOISTURIZING conditioner. It's got a little protein, so using a moisturizing conditioner will give you a nice balance.

I usually get about 6 applications out of my bottle. One bottle usually lasts me about 6 months or so as I apply once a month. Most people can reasonably expect to get about 4 applications - and that's the underpromise. I think realistically shoulder length heads will easily get 6 applications. I try not to overapply, and I sometimes mix colors - so I probably get a few more that way...

I don't know much about Henna. I've never tried it because of the warnings about using real henna on chemically treated hair. It is probably MORE comaprable to Hennalucent - but perhaps a bit easier to apply depending on the application method you prefer. I prefer to just open the bottle and dump the color on my head :lachen: so Sebastian works better for me.....

I think you get the same level of shine and protection tho with Hennalucent as you do Sebastian.

Last edited:
Immediatly after, in fact it's best to use after a touch-up to seal the cuticle.

Well, they say well conditioned hair takes color better, so I don't think it could hurt.

I have used mine once and I think I have a good amount left, but my hair is shorter than yours. But I could forsee 8-5 depending on hair length.

Henna made my hair kind of hair after I used it because it's kind of like a protein treatment, the colorshines did not. Henna doesn't guarantee shine like the colorshines either.

HTH :)

ms_kenesha said:
Immediatly after, in fact it's best to use after a touch-up to seal the cuticle.

Well, they say well conditioned hair takes color better, so I don't think it could hurt.

I have used mine once and I think I have a good amount left, but my hair is shorter than yours. But I could forsee 8-5 depending on hair length.

Henna made my hair kind of hair after I used it because it's kind of like a protein treatment, the colorshines did not. Henna doesn't guarantee shine like the colorshines either.

Go neesh! Go Neesh! :woot:

:lol:

Tracy said:

You can use colorshines directly after a touch up if you like. I wouldn't go with their black - I would go with a color called Neutral Brown. It looks black but it's got a better base color and it bleeds less and washes out without incident.

I would deep condition RIGHT before you apply it with a MOISTURIZING conditioner. It's got a little protein, so using a moisturizing conditioner will give you a nice balance.

I usually get about 6 applications out of my bottle. One bottle usually lasts me about 6 months or so as I apply once a month. Most people can reasonably expect to get about 4 applications - and that's the underpromise. I think realistically shoulder length heads will easily get 6 applications. I try not to overapply, and I sometimes mix colors - so I probably get a few more that way...

I don't know much about Henna. I've never tried it because of the warnings about using real henna on chemically treated hair. It is probably MORE comaprable to Hennalucent - but perhaps a bit easier to apply depending on the application method you prefer. I prefer to just open the bottle and dump the color on my head :lachen: so Sebastian works better for me.....

I think you get the same level of shine and protection tho with Hennalucent as you do Sebastian.

Whoa! You're fast with the reply :lol: Thanks for giving me more insight :) Neutral Brown you say, eh? I'm down to give it a whirl. I touch up during the 2nd week in February, so be on the look out for my colorshines pics! GRACIAS :yay:

ms_kenesha said:

Your post does help :) Looks like I'll be skipping the henna as Tracy has me sold on the colorshines :D

Tracy,

What color do you think that a 1B (dark brown/black) would need to use in order to get a medium brown color. I would prefer a rinse over a permanent color and something w/o the red undertones to avoid the brassy look.

Not Tracy, but a product like colorshines cannot lighten your hair. You would need a level 3 (permanent) color in order to lighten your hair.

kitty18 said:
Tracy,

What color do you think that a 1B (dark brown/black) would need to use in order to get a medium brown color. I would prefer a rinse over a permanent color and something w/o the red undertones to avoid the brassy look.

There ya go.... ;)

And adding - but no rinses (not just Sebastian), or semi-permanents will lighten hair. Neither, usually, will demi permanents, despite their claims.

Permie color or bleach is all that will do it.

Tracy--

I noticed that you said you avoid overlapping the Color Shines..do you do this because you are afraid it will damage your hair? TIA

prettygrl said:
Tracy--

I noticed that you said you avoid overlapping the Color Shines..do you do this because you are afraid it will damage your hair? TIA

I said that? :confused: :lol: I don't think I did.

But IF I did ;) the only thing I could have meant was that I try not to do them once every...say....two weeks, because they are a silicone based product and they can build up if you aren't careful. This isn't a problem if you follow the instructions and wait the customary month or so, because most of the previous application is rinsed out by then.....but if you do it too often, it can (I would imagine - it's never actually happened to me), in theory build up...

I don't know if the fear Iwould have would be of "damage" - it's just doesn't HAVE anything IN it that could cause damage - you know what I mean? It couldn't damage your hair any more than a conditioner can. It mayn't AGREE with everyone's hair (again - it's a rarity) but damage - I don't think it could do that.

But to clarify - I apply Sebastian to the entire length of my hair, each time I apply it. Once a month.

Tracy said:

QUOTE]

Thanks, for the reply Tracy.
I quoted the section I was referring to... I was just trying to figure out why you "tried not to overapply"

prettygrl said:
Tracy said:

QUOTE]

Thanks, for the reply Tracy.
I quoted the section I was referring to... I was just trying to figure out why you "tried not to overapply"

Overapply....I meant use too much at one time. That's just because I'm cheap and it's expensive and hard to find. :lol: Going easy on the application also minimizes scalp residue as well (if it's a color as opposed to clear) so that your scalp doesn't looked "stained" with color.

Sorry.

I need a refresher color I usually use Paprika by Redken it is a glaze (i have never told anyone b/c I didn't want any one to have it) and was wonder what was a good color comparable to it in Sebastions Colourshines. You can get a feel for my color on my fotki album but the pic is small. Can anyone help me out?

Tracy said:
Going easy on the application also minimizes scalp residue as well (if it's a color as opposed to clear) so that your scalp doesn't looked "stained" with color.

I'm co-signing on this... My only pet peeve with the Colourshines is that it ALWAYS stains my scalp, no matter how much I shampoo that stuff out!!! :( It washes out at the next shampoo but still, it's annoying... :ohwell:

Lindy said:
I'm co-signing on this... My only pet peeve with the Colourshines is that it ALWAYS stains my scalp, no matter how much I shampoo that stuff out!!! :( It washes out at the next shampoo but still, it's annoying... :ohwell:

You know Lindy - I don't put it on my scalp at all....if some gets on by accident that's one thing, but I don't "start" at the scalp like I "should" if that makes sense. I start my application about an inch in....

Tracy said:
You know Lindy - I don't put it on my scalp at all....if some gets on by accident that's one thing, but I don't "start" at the scalp like I "should" if that makes sense. I start my application about an inch in....

I try not to touch my scalp too much with it, but that doesn't work for me... I guess it seeps down there while I'm under the dryer processing the color... :ohwell:

Lindy said:
I try not to touch my scalp too much with it, but that doesn't work for me... I guess it seeps down there while I'm under the dryer processing the color... :ohwell:

OY! That's a pain....

Tried basing your scalp with Vaseline as you might with a relaxer? That's what I do when I use the redder reds.....

Well, since we're on the subject, I want to chime in with a question of my own.

1. Can I put another brand of dark brown rinse in my hair, and add the clear Colourshines a day or so later? I use the rinse to cover my gray.

Thanks.

Thanks MK and Tracy. You guys just saved me from wasting my money. I really want to lighten my hair, but I didn't want to bleach it again. I had that done once while in college and i got terrible breakage because of it.

One of my classmates suggested getting a permanent color done via the foil method. I might give that a try....but is there anything that I can to beforehand in order to minimize potential breaking. What if I moisturize it with an oil first? Will that inhibit the bleach and/or permanent color from working properly?

Lindy said:

In reference to scalp staining, I've read that stylist prefer to use Sebastian's Liquid Nectar to remove color from the scalp and skin. They say it works really well. It costs about $12.

Last edited:
ok. I have a question

WHAT ABOUT GRAY HAIR? If I use Indigo, will it cover that too ?
What's the best place to buy it?

Last edited:
kitchen_tician said:
In reference to scalp staining, I've read that stylist prefer to use Sebastian's Liquid Nectar to remove color from the scalp and skin. They say it works really well. It costs about $12.

Hmmm... I just might need to look into that... :) Thanks Kitchen!! :)

But first I'll try basing my scalp with Vaseline (thanks Tracy :kiss: )

Back