Yo ~~TRACY~~ and other color experts

yokourt said:
ok. I have a question

WHAT ABOUT GRAY HAIR? If I use Indigo, will it cover that too ?
What's the best place to buy it?
Indigo will turn gray hair BLUE. :( Don't do it. :ohwell:

You're better off with a deep reddish brown. Your hair will shine and the gray will go auburnish.

kitty18 said:
Thanks MK and Tracy. You guys just saved me from wasting my money. I really want to lighten my hair, but I didn't want to bleach it again. I had that done once while in college and i got terrible breakage because of it.

One of my classmates suggested getting a permanent color done via the foil method. I might give that a try....but is there anything that I can to beforehand in order to minimize potential breaking. What if I moisturize it with an oil first? Will that inhibit the bleach and/or permanent color from working properly?

Permanent color "via the foil method" doesn't make sense - foil is used for highlights only. If you want highlights you can use permanent color (as opposed to bleach) and use the foil method. Not too many people do it well tho, so caveat emptor.... :crazy:

What will minimize potential breaking is choosing the right formula AND EXCELLENT post color care.

There's a thread on the board called "bootcamp" and another called "for colored girls who've considered suicide when the breakage is just too much" (or sumfin like that :look: ) - both by moi ;) detailing the necessaries of post color care.

Check those out and let me know if you have any other questions. ;)

yokourt said:
ok. I have a question

WHAT ABOUT GRAY HAIR? If I use Indigo, will it cover that too ?
What's the best place to buy it?
I have a little gray, and I use/love Sebastian Colourshines in Neutral Brown. It works great on my gray. :)

I'd suggest doing like Kitchentician & Dana and coloring the top portion of your hair it's not highlights per say, but quite a beautiful highlight effect. It's also easier than foiling. Kitchen, has a good tutorial in her album.

kitty18 said:
Thanks MK and Tracy. You guys just saved me from wasting my money. I really want to lighten my hair, but I didn't want to bleach it again. I had that done once while in college and i got terrible breakage because of it.

One of my classmates suggested getting a permanent color done via the foil method. I might give that a try....but is there anything that I can to beforehand in order to minimize potential breaking. What if I moisturize it with an oil first? Will that inhibit the bleach and/or permanent color from working properly?

Sebastian experts... what do you guys thing about the "coffee bean" color as opposed to "neutral brown"? Frankly, I want my hair to look chocolate-colored, but I don't know if that's possible without lightening it :(

miss_brown said:
Sebastian experts... what do you guys thing about the "coffee bean" color as opposed to "neutral brown"? Frankly, I want my hair to look chocolate-colored, but I don't know if that's possible without lightening it :(

What color is your hair now Miss_Brown?

Coffee Bean is darker than Neutral Brown and FAR darker. It's basically black. Neutral Brown is also pretty dark.

Just FYI - I've noticed some naturals don't find they get any of the benefits of Sebastian. The hair itself is stronger, and so they don't notice that increase in tensile strength that relaxed heads do, and for whatever reason it doesn't seem to do the shiney thing on them either...

Hopefully some naturals will weigh in...but I just wanted to mention that.

Anyway - tell us what color your hair is now... that's what will determine what it will take to get you "chocolatey". ;)

Hey, Trace :wave:

Well... my hair is naturally pretty dark (off black), and I usually just rinse it jet black. I haven't done this in a while, but my hair still looks pretty much black. I think I'm ready for a change, but my hair and bleach don't get along well (I experienced breakage the last time I had highlights which was like 4 years ago :( ).

Thanks for the warning for us naturals, but because I flat iron regularly when I go through my straight spells (i.e. now), I think my hair needs more protection than the average natural. Hopefully, I'll fare well with the Sebastians :grin:

So... whaddaya think? Could the Coffee Bean do anything to give my hair a rich, mahogany look?

Yeah - nah dude....Coffee Bean is a RICH brown - but it's so rich it looks black....it will be RICH...just not really brown, you know? :ohwell:

How about a color called Mahoghany? It's a nice auburn kind of brown (not red, really. Auburn) and on a dark base such as yours that has some black color on there are well (and if it does....you're gonna have a hard time lifting it, even if that WAS gonna be my recommendation) the Mahoghany and you natural deep brown MAY combine to produce that chocolate effect you're going for.....mostly in the sun and the right light - but that's how rinses work -you know that. ;)

When you do the black rinses - does the black eventually wash out on you? Does your hair go back to it's natural color? Because if it does you MAY also want to think about a DEMI permanent a VEEEERY gentle color formula that WILL give you a BIT of lift, if your choose the right color. It won't take you to a DIFFERENT color, but it will most likely lift JUST a level - which might get you to a nice chocolately brown...

I swear I wish I could just gather you all together and color you guys myself! :lol:

Tracy said:
I swear I wish I could just gather you all together and color you guys myself! :lol:

Me too :grin:

Hmmmmm.... I saw the Mahogany, but I was scared that it would do something reddish, which is definitely not the look I'm going for. I think I'm going to try the Mahogany shade first and see what happens. :yay:

Re the demi, it's weird because the rinses used to wash out of my hair after a very long time, but it seems like lately my ends have really been holding onto the black color. If I decide to go that route, I'll definitely be seeking further consultation. :) In other words, you can look forward some desperate PM's from me :lol: )

Thanks again for the wonderful advice!

Last edited:
Thank about the BLUE HAIR Tracy, Is there some where I can go to by the Coulorshines, besides online?

What is a good brand and color type to help with gray hair? I wash my hair once a week and it just seems that the color will not stay on the gray hair. I don't want to do a perm. and have tried semi perm. Any suggestions? My hair is very dark brown/black. Thanks!

This is GREAT advice!!!!

I just did my touchup and mixed brilliant brown with clear......

it's super shiny and bery bery dark! I like it though.... :grin:

I wish I had read this thread before using the colorshine in black orchid this color is really messy and leaves blue stains everywhere even on my shirt two
days later.
I had to wash my hair three day in a row after applying the color before I stopped seeing blue when shampooing and conditioning.
The only good thing great results with shine.
I will most difinitely choose another color next time.

yokourt said:
Thank about the BLUE HAIR Tracy, Is there some where I can go to by the Coulorshines, besides online?

I did my touch up texturizer the other day, and I have yet to find colourshines in my city at ANY salon. I actually called the 800 # for the Sebastian company and spoke with a rep who told me that only stylists can order the product through their distributor. So... I found another thread that mentions this site:

http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page315.html

Anybody do business with this site? Where are yall getting the colourshines??

Tracy said:
How about a color called Mahoghany? It's a nice auburn kind of brown (not red, really. Auburn) and on a dark base such as yours that has some black color on there are well (and if it does....you're gonna have a hard time lifting it, even if that WAS gonna be my recommendation) the Mahoghany and you natural deep brown MAY combine to produce that chocolate effect you're going for.....mostly in the sun and the right light - but that's how rinses work -you know that. ;)

[size=+1]So Tracy....Mahoghany is a pretty good choice to consider? My hair is dark...almost black. And I would love for it to look black. I see others were talking about Coffee Bean and Brilliant Brown. Do you recommend any of these? Thanks in advance.[/size]

[size=+1]Bumpity...Bump....Tracy...are you out there? :wave:

Well I thought I wanted it to stay black....but I would rather a dark brown. My last rinse has grown out and I would like to lighten a tad bit. Any suggestions?
TIA
[/size]

Argh - I missed it! Twice! I'm sorry...I'm only around occasionally anymore... :(

Lightening dark hair to something only slightly lighter (ex: black to dark brown) is hard. So no suggestions there...I've never done it successfully myself, believe it or not. :shrug:

[size=+1]I'm not trying to lighten it...it's already a dusty brown. It's my natural color. The rinse I had in it is gone. I usually put an ebony rinse in it....but now I want to highlight or make this dull ugly brown look richer. Plus I have grey strands coming in. I'm just tired of the black rinse. Sorry for the confusion.[/size]

Last edited:
Back