• No I think braids should be for younger women

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • I'm on the fence - it depends

Votes: 56 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok here are my snarky, put my good christian on the shelf for min. comebacks

1. Yo' face ain't cute, and it's certainly not appropriate for the office

2. Oh I see you just got a new job (you have to be smiling to say this), it took months to fill the WhoTF asked you postion. Way to go!!

3. Wow! thank you, I really would not have been able to make it through the day without your opinion!

4. huh, so it's true opinions are like A**h**** everybody has one.

and my 5th and finally snarky retort
5. "yo! mama! :rofl:

This whole post. . .:lachen:

I agree with the majority of the ladies, braids look very nice on older women. My aunts constantly wear short micros in their hair and it looks really great on them, but that's because the style fits. Just the other day I saw an older woman in her late 50's early 60's wearing a wig. The style was an asymmetrical bob the left side was cut to the jawline while the right side was cut to the collarbone. In my personal OPINION, I didn't think it fit her face or her age, but did I make it my business to tell her that. NO! That's just childish, disrespectful, rude, and honestly its really asking for a beat down where I'm from.

I think Susan L. Taylor looks very regal in her braids, which is pretty impressive since her hairline ain't ever coming back.

All of that deserved a megga THANKS!!!!!! Especially the underlined portion.

The last part of your statement is a "lessons" learned for many!!!!

Ladies Yall got me :lachen::lachen:over here...

I felt the same way when I heard the lady's comment, but I kept my cool and told my friend to just come on...

I agree though ur grown u do what u want, just make it look nice...tis all...

Just wanted to see what ur views were

that is probably one of the most strangest/ignorant comments i've ever heard regarding braid styles. Maybe the young lady has been looking at a limited variety of braids on women. (*sigh*) and of course, judged the whole world according to her limited perspective.

I've recently switched to cornrows. I was wearing a kinky curly weave, pulled back into a bun. I had quite a few compliments at that time.

My boyfriend begged me to switch to cornrows because he hated all of the hair shedding from the weave, i "caved in" and did it. My beautician really seems to know her stuff. She used extension hair that had a soft kinky texture to it, versus the rough, cheap hair my ex- beautician used. (i will emphasize the "ex")...

When she finished this cornrow style, even the asians were giving me compliments in the shop. One in particular kept saying: "Now we can see your model-face." It was just a simple, elegant, part inthe middle, with a slight wave pattern going to the back and into a bun, or just left loose. Sleek and very sophisticated. Pretty much like the first pic someone posted of Alicia Keys.

One of our Russian clerks saw me the next morning, and jumped out from behind her counter as i was walking in, placed her hands on my shoulders, and said. Now, i can see your beautiful face. You look so elegant!!"

A rich, older, white man from one of the most prestigious country clubs was watching me while i was at the golf range. I've been going there for 6 months. After i changed my hairstyle from wearing that afro, He came over, introduced himself, sat down, and started cleaning my golf clubs. (I am not kidding. He kept saying: "A clean club is a happy club!!")

VP's, CEO's, basketball players, etc., who never approached me before at the golf range - are approaching me now. And my boyfriend is getting nervous.

So, please don't tell me, that braids are not for grownups.

And as for the young lady who made the aforementioned (bolded) statement? Well.... the phone just rang. It was her As*&*&hole.. they just left a message stating that her head was using up all of the rectal space.

She gets a "Nonie Slap!"

Last edited:
I think the lady who approached your friend was ignorant:

1) because it's none of her damn business if your friend is wearing braids, no matter what her opinion braids is. Was her soul burning that she needed to say that so bad? :perplexed Approaching her just to say that was ridiculous and not the GROWN move. :rolleyes:

2) Sure, braids might not suit some people but straight up immature and only for children, they are not. Rocking braids like Da Brat or untidy braids in rainbow colours? Yeah, I can see how that's not a good look. Wearing neat braids that go back into a bun or well-done micros in a natural/suitable colour? That's probably the more sophisticated look.

Ummmmm whatever :rolleyes: !

I am 31 and just finishing up a set of box braids on my hair. I don't know the ignorant Baboon who made the slick comment to your friend from a can of paint, but I trust and believe, I'd out class her any day. Braids or not.

I love braids, i rock braids and I like seeing other women with nice braids. Of course there are childish styles, but that goes for any type of hair, natural or relaxed. But shes grown and can do what she wants and others peoples opinions aren't necessary in my opinion

Braids look beautiful! It all depends on the style and how they are maintained. If they look like they've been in too long, it defeats the purpose to me.

That's one woman, one opinion - and she's entitled to it. That won't stop women over 30 from wearing braids, at all. Maybe she has had some bad experiences with braids that resulted in that opinion that clearly is ageism. People usually have a reason for being so negative.

That's one woman, one opinion - and she's entitled to it. That won't stop women over 30 from wearing braids, at all. Maybe she has had some bad experiences with braids that resulted in that opinion that clearly is ageism. People usually have a reason for being so negative.

It's okay to "be" negative - but it's not okay to share it.

I've had bad experiences with white people, but that doesn't give me the license to walk up to any of them and tell them what i think of them.

It depends on the kind of braids, how they are styled, and the color (since some like to get outrageous). But I've seen plenty of braids/braided styles that look nice AND sophisticated.

Yeah, I agree, but I'm more stunned at the fact that a total stranger felt it necessary to get in the OP's friend's business like that.

Now would she have been wrong to whup her arse? I think not.

There's some bold *itches walking the streets these days.

My Mommy started rocking cornrows last year after divorcing my father and she won't stop. I hate them! She gets them down to her butt...who does that??? My Mom is in her late 40s and I don't think cornrows are appropriate for her age, INMO.

People have some strange opinions. I've seen plenty of older woman wearing braids (my mom used to wear them) and they look very regal and queenly. It depends on how you choose to wear them like others said earlier.

I only stopped wearing braids about two years ago and I'm in my mid-thirties. Coming up to people with your uninformed, ignorant opinions on other people's choices? She caught a bad case of Foot in the Mouth Disease. :nono:

I think braids like everything else in life is a state of mind. How I styled it depends on where I am. Updos, bun, etc for work while down and playful for the rest. I've gotten lot of compliments in both corporate and casual life.

Once in a blue moon I'll get a negative/snotty comment which is usually based on a personal taste - nothing wrong with an opinion. I had a friend who use to make constant comments like "Why don't you wear your hair straight" or "Girl you don't like to comb your hair" - It quickly got squashed when I told her that we don't have to be friends anymore if she's so disturbed by my braids.

Hence, if you think braids are for kids then it will not look that great for you. If you like braids and know how to rock it, It'll be a fantastic look on you.

Last edited:
Back