abercrombie and fitch (hollister) hair policy racist??

:rolleyes: Black people I swear!
I'm sure uggs = educated.. I'm sure!!!!!!!

i meant my ugg boots meant i understood the style of their store and would be better suited to help the customers that they have....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited:
I don't really believe Hollister's racist. Now maybe a specific store manager may be, but the company, not so much. I used to be a Hollister addict and the ones in Houston would be teeming with black employees of all shades. Sometimes, even more than there were of whites. I've seen a lot of natural haired sistas working there too. I think they wouldn't want cornrows for ANY race.

Just try another style and apply.

Idk if they would have fired me. I do remember them saying when I interviewd that basically cornrows and braids were a no no. But I didn't think about it much back then since I hadn't worn braids in years.

So would an afro be a no no too? :lachen:

Ummm Im not very surprised:look: I mean its abercrombie. If you look at the clothes they sell there and the price tag on them, im pretty sure they would have a strict policy for their employees!

$30 for a t-shirt + NO cornrows for the employees= Abercrombie & Fitch.

I can see the injustice behind companies banning afro hair but no, I can't get worked up over some cornrows. That style is a choice and easily removable. We are never forced to wear it, not ever. I do not think that policy is their roundabout way to say "we don't want blacks" when many black people don't even wear them and doubtless wouldn't think twice of applying upon hearing this policy.

Of course, I can understand being annoyed about the policy if you have cornrows in your hair and feeling it unfair because they may look nice on you. However, I believe cornrows have gained an unfortunate reputation and conjures up images of trashy/ghetto people for many folks (even some black people). Apparently, including the head honchos at Hollister too. Whilst there are many examples of cornrows looking classy, I believe Hollister would rather make a blanket ban instead of operating on a case by case basis. As an employer trying to sell an image to it's customers from it's branding to the models and right down to the to the employees in store, this is arguably their prerogative to do this.

Last edited:
Hollister is scary. I give it a wide berth in mall because I'm afraid something is going to leap out of it's murky depths and disappear me forever. But yeah, there have been some articles about how the A&F owner is going for a very, very specific look and in the name of that does lots of discriminating. If you really want the job you're probably going have to find another protective style.

...:look:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Abercrombie & Fitch co isn't like that anymore... Since those law suits and negative press they are bending over backwards trying seem "diverse". Always notice how Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister always have a ton of Black people working for them.

Besides that Abercrombie & Fitch has lost a tremendous amount of money since the start of the recession. Its so bad they had to close down a whole line of one of their chain stores (RUEHL) and several A&F and Hollister stores. Probably more than ever before they are bending over backwards trying to appeal to everyone so they can make some money. Which I think is working, back when I was in HS (which wasn't even that long ago) clothes from companies like abercrombie was considered too white and they were practically socially banned. Now all I see is kids wearing that stuff.. I didn't even know the store existed until I went to college.

They aren't trying to weed out the black people with braids, but they still are kind of selective with hiring. The managers usually approach people that have that "look" in their stores or around the mall and asks if you want to work there. I don't think changing your hair style is worth working at hollister. They pay min. wage and they hire so many people you can't make a lot of money because you can't get any hours.

Last edited:
I am not surprised by this. Abercrombie and Fitch and their subsidiary d/b/a Hollister are headquartered here in OH (Columbus to be exact). They've had numerous complaints lodged against them, and in 2006 (I think that's the year), they had a major settlement stemming from a discrimination suit filed by AA workers.

Don't be surprised. That place is notorious for promoting a certain type of image and for maintaining it through discriminatory policies such as the "no cornrow policy".

How about crochet braids.. Cornrow and you can add anytype of hair.. That could work.

Maybe you should ask the store manager to be more specific. On the rules. Sometimes its always best to ask from the horses mouth. Dot leave alot of room for interpretation.

Best of luck.

my yt roommate in college worked there in HS for a little bit and stopped because the employee handbook said how to do hiring such as by hair and race and "look". besides, do you really want to work for a store targeting "under 25" (really under 18) that has such a rique catalog, you have to show ID and be 18+ to get a copy?

I am not surprised by this. Abercrombie and Fitch and their subsidiary d/b/a Hollister are headquartered here in OH (Columbus to be exact). They've had numerous complaints lodged against them, and in 2006 (I think that's the year), they had a major settlement stemming from a discrimination suit filed by AA workers.

Don't be surprised. That place is notorious for promoting a certain type of image and for maintaining it through discriminatory policies such as the "no cornrow policy".

Yep its a few streets from me that why I was warning the op to be prepared some stores enforce the rules more than others but here the employees have had issues if they had any type of braids including individuals or tree braids. They also dislike fros and puffs here but corporate has to go to that store all the time so her's may not be so bad.
They have NOT changed. They've just have smartened up on how they approach their employees.

I applied at Hollister clothing store and my friend told me when she applied, she had cornrows with extensions & they told her that she can't have cornrows. I really like the store, the employees look very friendly, the clothes are nice & it looks like a fun place to work.

But I recently had extreme heat damage at a Dominican salon & i want to protective style for a while with extension braids because it is too hot for my wigs. I want to do cornrows at the front half of my hair and finish it off with individuals at the back because that is less expensive than complete individuals or tree braids.

So I went online and my friend was right. They prohibit "cornrows" and there are even lawsuits against them for having racist policies. I really need a job, I have been looking for 7 months & I would really like to work there.

Do you guys think prohibiting braids is a way of filtering out blacks because they just can't say they don't hire black people? Have any one of you worked for this company? Do you think i will be rejected because of my braids, even though they look very cute & tidy, and i'm not bad looking?

Please let me know what you think cuz am so frustrated right now. :nono:

Is it no conrows or is it no braids? When I see cornrows I think urbanwear just like if I saw mohoawks I would think more punk or gothwear.

Now no braids..that would be racist to me.

I am a Shopper for the Company and essentially, they want their employees to fit into the definition of "attractive". Cornrows are not exactly attractive in the eyes of America...Unfortunate as that might be. There are various other options though, and it is not a policy targeting any racial group.

Her preference was to wear her hair straight. I don't think that is a negative reflection on her... she simply liked the way she looked with straight hair. The problem is they hired her and wanted her to change her appearance simply because she worked there 25 hours/week. It wasn't hard for her to find another job that allowed her to wear her hair the way she wanted.

Imagine someone telling you that your hair needs to be relaxed to work at a company...

/\ Wait. So your friend is a straight haired natural, the management encouraged her to wear her hair in its (natural) kinky state and she quit as a result??:confused: I think thats more of a reflection on your friend then the store and its policies.

Their request is A) A MUCH easier style to achieve B) Doesn't require her to change any of her natural features C) Embraces her look and plays up her individuality

That really made no sense to me.

I've interned and been a store model for them...honestly if you just interview with loose hair and prove you're irreplaceable you will have no problem with their hair policy. I wore weaves, lacefronts, and even had braided accent to one of my hair dos...I was never fired.

To assume that not wanting cornrows is racist isn't fair. I believe ignorant is the more appropriate label. I think you have to remember that the brand and lifestyle they are marketing is fresh off the beach natural beauty. Their perception of this lifestyle existed long before they realized the need for diversity so it happens to be an area that needs adapting. They simply ask that you appear natural, that means having a style that could easily grow out of your (or someone else's) head. Cornrows/braids/twists/flamboyant colors by this definition are not natural.

They also have a policy regarding makeup and jewelry, ideally you are to have simple studs and no makeup, but you can bet your a** not all of the models are fresh/makeupless or only have one piercing per ear.

Really, I'm hoping they adapt to the changing market as they develop their company but after working for them in a very diverse store, I understood their shortcomings. Baby steps, I'm just happy people of other ethnicities are being hired and diversity is such a big part of the interviewing process (regardless of race). Maybe in time we shall see more focus on the natural beauty/self confidence aspect of the lifestyle rather than the specifics of a hairstyle.

My two cents. I believe each company has its flaws, unfortunately Abercrombies' is so intertwined with its DNA as a brand breaking the cycle won't be as rapid of a process as we would like.

Last edited:
KSand said:
Her preference was to wear her hair straight. I don't think that is a negative reflection on her... she simply liked the way she looked with straight hair.
Nowhere in my post did I say it was a negative reflection on her I simply said it had more to do with her then the management.

The problem is they hired her and wanted her to change her appearance simply because she worked there 25 hours/week. It wasn't hard for her to find another job that allowed her to wear her hair the way she wanted.

Imagine someone telling you that your hair needs to be relaxed to work at a company...
Thats a completely different story because one circumstance involves wearing a style that is effortless and natural us as Black people and the other circumstance is the opposite.

But I see what you're saying and I'm not really interested in going back and forth its just that post baffled me. I respect your view:yep:

I don't think so because white people wear them too and I know of black businesses around here that won't give you a job if you have purple blue etc hair. I even went to a private college that would let you rock cornrows and braids but no odd colors and none of the white people thought it was racist. Also if it doesn't filter out wigs, fros, twists, or braids just cornrows I really doubt it is racism. I don't think it is BUT they don't have a good rep as for dealing with black people in a good way so you never know. *shrugs* Maybe shoot for a job at Victoria's Secret, Rainbow, Ross, Gap, something in the same area without all the rules

Last edited:
I applied at Hollister clothing store and my friend told me when she applied, she had cornrows with extensions & they told her that she can't have cornrows. I really like the store, the employees look very friendly, the clothes are nice & it looks like a fun place to work.

But I recently had extreme heat damage at a Dominican salon & i want to protective style for a while with extension braids because it is too hot for my wigs. I want to do cornrows at the front half of my hair and finish it off with individuals at the back because that is less expensive than complete individuals or tree braids.

So I went online and my friend was right. They prohibit "cornrows" and there are even lawsuits against them for having racist policies. I really need a job, I have been looking for 7 months & I would really like to work there.

Do you guys think prohibiting braids is a way of filtering out blacks because they just can't say they don't hire black people? Have any one of you worked for this company? Do you think i will be rejected because of my braids, even though they look very cute & tidy, and i'm not bad looking?

Your choices are simple....

1) Weave it up and wear in a style that reflects their overall image (this is also a good PS)

2) Wear braids but accept that this is not the "look" which they prefer and they probably just won't hire you (or will make you take them out)

3) Realize that Abercrombie & Fitch is not the only employer out there. Maybe try Urban Outfitters, Free People, American Eagle Outfitters, Banana Republic, J Crew, The Limited, Anthropologie, Gap, Old Navy, American Apparel etc, etc...

Well the policy states cornrows not black people wearing conrows. Remember we aren't the only one's wearing conrows. You would have to do further research into this with a lawyer. I say find yourself a good state job and that is all. Retail sucks!

Well the policy states cornrows not black people wearing conrows. Remember we aren't the only one's wearing conrows. You would have to do further research into this with a lawyer. I say find yourself a good state job and that is all. Retail sucks!

But we are the only ones who actually "need" it. It is not just a style, for me at least, it is a requirement for my hair to protect it. No cornrows means I can't braid my hair and its too hot for wigs :ohwell:

But we are the only ones who actually "need" it. It is not just a style, for me at least, it is a requirement for my hair to protect it. No cornrows means I can't braid my hair and its too hot for wigs :ohwell:

Do you really NEED cornrows? Aren't there other ways to protect your hair. How about twists? So is the policy anti-braids altogether? I still say consult a lawyer on this. This policy may be illegal. But my take on it is this. Abercrobie and Fitch is very "White Bread" and they are trying to maintain a certain non-negronese image.

Can't you tell them they are french braids?:lachen:

Do you really NEED cornrows? Aren't there other ways to protect your hair. How about twists? So is the policy anti-braids altogether? I still say consult a lawyer on this. This policy may be illegal. But my take on it is this. Abercrobie and Fitch is very "White Bread" and they are trying to maintain a certain non-negronese image.

Can't you tell them they are french braids?:lachen:
Twists and individuals are very expensive. I want to do half cornrows (front) and half individuals (back) to save some money. Yes the policy is a no braid policy.

I don't care for hollister but I love abercrombie. On more than one occasion, I've been asked to fill out an application to work there. I figured it was because they want more "color" in their store... not the opposite!

edit: one of the times i had a braidout... I don't know if that makes a difference

i think this might be a new policy, because I used to work @ a Hollister and I was never EVER told what I could and could not do with my hair. But I do know that they require you wear there clothes while at work, they require you wear flip-flops/sandals (yes even in the winter) and i know they always want to keep there "beach theme" going all year around the long flowy hair etc etc..but I have never been instructed about my hair..

Twists and individuals are very expensive. I want to do half cornrows (front) and half individuals (back) to save some money. Yes the policy is a no braid policy.

Ok see they don't want any braids or any afrocentric hairdo's. The only thing I can think of is if you conrowed your hair and put weave on top. It looks like you may have to work elsewhere.

Back