• No I think braids should be for younger women

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • I'm on the fence - it depends

Votes: 56 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SimplyBlessed

Hey Ladies

So I have a friend that rocks braids A LOT. It can be micro's, cornrows, or braids up into a bun, etc...- u name it...she wears it....

She does not have an office job so her braids are not a conflict at work (even though hair should never be a conflict at work) and she works out a lot so she says this is why she always wears braids...

I'm not big on braids anymore but in high school thats what I rocked a lot, but my hair texture is very frizzy so me getting braids is a joke, b/c they wont last very long

ANYWAY TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT...I WAS WITH MY FRIEND THE OTHER DAY AND A LADY PROBABLY IN HER EARLY 30'S STR8 UP TOLD MY FRIEND (WHO'S IN HER EARLY 30'S) THAT BRAIDS ARE NOT FOR GROWN UPS. THEY LOOK CHILDISH AND IN SOME CASES UNPROFESSIONAL...

WHAT ARE YOU FEELINGS ON BRAIDS AND ADULTS?

Last edited:
It depends on the kind of braids, how they are styled, and the color (since some like to get outrageous). But I've seen plenty of braids/braided styles that look nice AND sophisticated.

To me, it's not the braids themselves, it's about the style they are braided into. Goddess-type braids look very good on many mature women. Small braids look better on younger women, IMO.

It depends on the kind of braids, how they are styled, and the color (since some like to get outrageous). But I've seen plenty of braids/braided styles that look nice AND sophisticated.

Thats how I felt especially with the braids that go into a bun....very sophisticated!! :yep:

I am 40, and I wear braid singles. I would rock cornrows if I had the patience/energy for putting them in. I love the freedom of having braids so much that I do not have any plans of giving them up any time soon. Need I say more about my feelings on braids and adults? I wish that forward rude nobody had said that to me.

Depends. They can look classy, childish, thuggish and straight up messy. All depends on the person, head shape, and the overall look.

People tend to associate it with little girls because many kids have braided hair while its still natural. When they get older its the norm to relax it and slap a weave on it most of the time.

And the comment was rude, she has no place telling a random stranger what to do with her hair.

I do like braids on women of all ages in a variety og styles....I do tow the line with the type of accessories I use with braids...Not because I can't get away with it, or it doesn't look good...I'm just cheap...and I don't do my nieces hair anymore so I don't have beads laying around the house to get any "ideas". On women who look a certain age a style that is designed to make you look younger usually just draws attention to how old they really look.

I do like braids on women of all ages in a variety og styles....I do tow the line with the type of accessories I use with braids...Not because I can't get away with it, or it doesn't look good...I'm just cheap...and I don't do my nieces hair anymore so I don't have beads laying around the house to get any "ideas". On women who look a certain age a style that is designed to make you look younger usually just draws attention to how old they really look.

ITA with bolded.

I think its totally fine. I think the fact that lady told her that is just as ignorant as ppl being attacked for being relaxed or natural. That ***** that told her that shoulda got slapped.

I'd say that woman can go kick rocks with an ingrown toenail.

I love it when perfect strangers come up and tell you their unsolicited opinion.

She can do whatever the hell she wants with her hair and black women we have GOT to do better with our daughters cuz this walking up to random strangers and telling them about themselves is so classless:nono:

Anyone else see the irony of the childish women telling the older woman her hair looks childish?:giggle: I wish she would've said that to me cuz I'd tell her straight up that she is a child and ask her when did she plan to get her GED:sekret:

I agree. It depends on the style. Last summer on my way to work, I see this older woman she could be in her 50s-60s rocking a braided mohawk. She stood out to me b/c the style looked not age apporiate for her. I guessing somebody must have talked her into getting that style which was nice but not on her:nono:

Sadly, if you have long, healthy hair, styled in braids, curls, or whatever, people tend to see the style as childish. As if it is normal and expected, to have short, broken, damaged hair by the time you reach 30. :nono:

I guess I'm in the minority. I think most braid styles are for younger women. I'm in my early 30s, and I stopped wearing micros/box braids in my mid 20's. I do think older women can work other braided styles, like I always liked Cynthia mckinney's braid styles. But in general, yes I think braids are for younger women.

If your friend needs "Bail money" I can help! GTHOOWTBS!

Yes, I've seen some styles that make me "cringe"; but neva-eva would I step to someone with such an opinon. There's a right way and a wrong way, and that was "wrong".

I think braids on adults can look very sophisticated if you do it in a natural color that compliments your skin tone in a flattering pattern.

These are my Pixie braids (no hair added) I did this past summer I went to dinner in the city with this look.

picture.php

picture.php

This was my transitioning hair in individuals (extensions) I got tons of compliments for this look and it was appropriate for anything

n16201323_30073422_5150.jpg

Clearly I been doin the Auburn & Brown Combo forever!:lol:

n16201323_30115660_652.jpg

And I've some to realize that cornrows can really look very feminine and professional if done the right way here are some of my favorite looks.

alicia-keys-pic-1.jpg
alicia-keys-jr06.jpg

That is what is sooo wonderful about America everyone can HAVE and opinion and everyone can disagree with others opinions.

Her's in MY OPINION is dead wrong.

For example if you look at the wig or weave that Serena is NOW wearing it looks totally unkept, unprofessional and chewed. The braids that have been shown above look healthy, vibrant, professional and adult.

Case closed.

Well, personally I think that a grown-arse woman is free to wear whatever style she wants. I think that this is an attitude about natural or textured hair in general. Women are expected to wear their hair straight after a certain age (this isn't just black women). I've heard the opinion that my curly hair is not "grown" but that ain't my problem.

What's up with people approaching others to make comments? That's not any of her business if your friend wants to rock braids? And no I don't think braids look childish. My grandma who is in her 80s still rocks her braids and looks very professional with them, so does my aunt who is in her 50s. Sure everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it wasn't asked so mind yours trick. :rolleyes:

I think Susan L. Taylor looks very regal in her braids, which is pretty impressive since her hairline ain't ever coming back.

That lady should have been pimp slapped
but anyway I feel over 60 depending on the person it maybe isn't the best style but 30's mannnnn shoot lol that's cute to me.
I get the lady having her view my mom shares that view she's never worn braids as an adult but she would never tell my older sisters or anyone in their 30's who rocks some braids or even odd styles that its childish.

I say that life is short and the woman can wear whatever style she wants on her head, as long as she isn't hurting anyone.
Granted, I'm sure I would have an opinion if it looked crazy, but as long as she's happy (braids or not), then who am I to say something/judge?

I am 40, and I wear braid singles. I would rock cornrows if I had the patience/energy for putting them in. I love the freedom of having braids so much that I do not have any plans of giving them up any time soon. Need I say more about my feelings on braids and adults? I wish that forward rude nobody had said that to me.

I am 43, and I am with Nonie....:look:

Ok here are my snarky, put my good christian on the shelf for min. comebacks

1. Yo' face ain't cute, and it's certainly not appropriate for the office

2. Oh I see you just got a new job (you have to be smiling to say this), it took months to fill the WhoTF asked you postion. Way to go!!

3. Wow! thank you, I really would not have been able to make it through the day without your opinion!

4. huh, so it's true opinions are like A**h**** everybody has one.

and my 5th and finally snarky retort
5. "yo! mama! :rofl:

I think people are free to do what they feel. Thinking something is one thing but to say something to a total stranger that isn't bothering you says alot about the real childish fool.

WOW.... that was so out of pocket. People are too much. She would have gotten the "Thanks for sharing" :rolleyes: and then would have probably wanted to argue or even fight because she didn't like my tone of voice :drunk: Ghetto.

Anyway, braids can look really nice on older women, styled well.

Back