Yep..another Dominican Salon Vent

naturallygoldie

I really love em'..I really, really do. I've gone from lye to no-lye to no relaxer and my dominican ladies have been supportive.

There's two salons (owned by the same *insert not nice adjective here* woman). The owner gives an excellent blow out but i stayed clear away from here because of her attitude.

The other ladies (and one dude who gives a to die for wash) are awesome. never had a problem UNTIL YESTERDAY.

I came in with washed, dc'd hair. All they had to do was rinse, set, dry, and blow. Everything was all smiles until I went to pay.

The lady said "ventiocho"

Me: como?

Lady: *insert too fast spanish*:blush:

Me: :perplexed no intiendo

Lady explained that the owner raised prices (the second time she's done so in the past 6 months). Being that I'm natural and my hair is long (which it really isn't) it's now $28 and even though my hair was already washed they couldn't discount the price like they used to. Once my hair hit's my waist, it'll be $30. Basically, the longer the hair, the more money it is to get it done. The prices just started going up in January..and now this.

I could understand if i had super curly hair down to my knees. Shoot, if you pull the roller set tight enough my hair is basically straight and it's only MBL (not even full). WHATS THE PROBLEM? The reason why i'm going to them is to SAVE MONEY on my electricity. It's either the AC or my hairdryer and flatiron...it worked out way cheaper just to go to da salon. Sigh. end rant.

That's actually an excellent price. My salon would have charged 50 at least. I mean they do have to get paid. Can u imagine the commission split on $28? My child and I would star e to death. Your hair looks great though

It went from $15 wash, set and blow (when I was relaxed), earlier this year it was $18 for a wash and set plus $5 to blow out = $23 now it's additional $5 for natural long hair and I guess another additional $2 for every length after mbl (ie $30 for waist length)..before yesterday, they'd give me me a set, dry and blow for $18 now it's full price :(

I know its frustrating to hear a different price than you are used to. When I went to the salon/hair braiding I always asked the price up front.

Although to you MBL hair is not long IRL that is considered super long. Prices everywhere are going up partially everywhere. Many woman are taking their hair in to their own hands that is one reason for the mark-up. Also doing MBL hair takes more time. What the stylist would have made on doing more than one head she has to re-coup when doing your one head, even though she did not use any product. You sit longer under the dryer and you use more time blow drying.

Last edited:
Supply and demand. They are getting less customers and has to make up for the difference some how.

I'm just curious as to how you are saving money on your electric bill by going? Do you really see a big difference in your electric bill from going vs. doing it yourself?

Myjourney2009 thank you...I didn't think of the extra time and such. Neither salon are as busy as they were when I first started going..the boss did say that the rent was doubled in Jan but I don't know the reason for recent price change. I have no other choice other than to become a complete DIYer

It went from $15 wash, set and blow (when I was relaxed), earlier this year it was $18 for a wash and set plus $5 to blow out = $23 now it's additional $5 for natural long hair and I guess another additional $2 for every length after mbl (ie $30 for waist length)..before yesterday, they'd give me me a set, dry and blow for $18 now it's full price :(

Not to be facetious, but around here, those kinds of prices don't even exist in beauty school clinics with the students. However, I agree that the pricing difference should have been discussed the minute they decided your hair was longer (and before services started). Of course what SHOULD be done is rare and some people resort to waiting til the last minute to spring these types of changes on you.

Can you speak to a manager about the lack of posted pricing (thats required in NY tri-state area) and the price difference between your services?

Supply and demand. They are getting less customers and has to make up for the difference some how.

I'm just curious as to how you are saving money on your electric bill by going? Do you really see a big difference in your electric bill from going vs. doing it yourself?

My electric bill was about $150 or so dollars less (I'm a frequent washer)

mzteaze ur absolutely right...gonna speak to the manager when I see her (she's rarely in either shop). That's another problem a lot of folks have with dominican salons: they're unprofessional.

Last edited:
I hope it works out for you naturallygoldie. I too was curious. I frequently wash my own hair, use a steamer and hood dryer. Are you seeing that much of a difference in your utility bill between use at home and paying to go to a salon?

I know that I don't. That's with washing 2x a week.

My electric bill was about $150 or so dollars less (I'm a frequent washer)

@mzteaze ur absolutely right...gonna speak to the manager when I see her (she's rarely in either shop). That's another problem a lot of folks have with dominican salons: they're unprofessional.

I'm a frequent washer too and I don't see a difference....any who, I would say be prepared for the prices to rise again; I would also suggest to the manager my how distasteful it was to learn that the price was changed without prior notice.

I've found that the services the Dominican shops generally perform do not take very much skill. Most Dominicans that I know know how to rollerset and blow out their own hair. I learned how to rollerset my hair by asking a very kind Dominican stylist to show me how.
She had so much fun she wanted to teach me how to color and relax too. I never learned b/c I went away to law school (and she went out of business :ohwell: ) But next year, I'm going to pick it up again as a hobby.

it doesn't require much skill...shoot it took me awhile but i learned how to do a perfect rollerset...I'm just gonna go back to doing my own hair full time. *boy was this great hairaphy* thanks ladies

Op can I ask what region you are in. Around here dbo are at least 34-40 for. Normal relaxed hair.

21 months natural and loving it!

the dominican salon i go to charges extra for hair length. i'm almost back to bsl and i get upcharged. another one i used to go to did the same thing. i think it's a fairly normal practice. my price is $20 instead of $15 for my wash and set, plus another $5 for the dc. i still will gladly pay that then the prices of other salons and the time and effort.

also i got charged more for length and being natural when i was natural.

i don't think they're ripping you off.

The more effort I would have to do, the more I would charge so I can't blame them. However, they should have let you know in advance.

That's pretty cheap. When I lived in DC, it was $35 and it's $35 here in Houston, too (for short hair). They should have had a sign posted, though.

the dominican salon i go to charges extra for hair length. i'm almost back to bsl and i get upcharged. another one i used to go to did the same thing. i think it's a fairly normal practice. my price is $20 instead of $15 for my wash and set, plus another $5 for the dc. i still will gladly pay that then the prices of other salons and the time and effort.

also i got charged more for length and being natural when i was natural.

i don't think they're ripping you off.

:blush: i guess it was just sticker shock..for the very first time I regretted being natural (got over that quick fast)

have you thought of washing and setting your own hair and only going to them to remove the rollers and blow it out?

I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT *eureka* I did wash it and have them set it and then blow it out..but just blow it out?? Hmmm I'm gonna ask them tomorrow how much it would be. There's another dominican shop and the owner used to do my hair when I first went to the shop i'm going to now. I'm gonna see if her prices are lower

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice

Do you live in NY? $28 is a lot for NY. When I lived there I paid $20 for a wash, rollerset and blowdry, which is more than I paid ten years ago when it was $15 for the same thing. In FL I pay between $35-$40 for those same services and they're not as good here as they were in NY.

I remember the days of $10 wash and sets in NYC. Here in VA I pay $33(w/ DC). I think I should pay less because I never get a blow out, just take the rollers out and wrap it...

I dont think a salon has to posy prices. Its not like going to a fast food restaurant or a place like cost cutters. My salon does not post prices. I ask before hand.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V

Back