Yay!!! I Conquered My Protein Overload! (Before It Became a Setback)

curlyninjagirl

A month ago I did a protein treatment with Sally's Generic Joico K-pak reconstructing conditioner and I spaced out and left it on too long!!! :perplexed I followed up with a moisture DC for 5 hours and still ended up with rough ROUGH tangly strands. And BONE dry! Ick! :wallbash:

Thanks to LHCF, I knew that, to combat this imbalance, I had to up my moisture game.

Here's how I fixed it, tweaking a few steps in my regimen:

I added a mid week co-wash with YTC to my weekly shampoo with CON (the new one) + co-rinse with YTC

I rinsed with plain ole water a couple times the first week when my hair felt really dry.

I switched from once a month DCs with AO HSR to once a week

I switched from cornrows and medium twists to larger twists (to avoid breakage from high manipulation. My hair was in a fragile state.)

I made these changes for three weeks and my hair gradually softened back up and felt less brittle. Week four, I clarified and DCed for 2 hours and co-rinsed with YTC and after airdrying using my usual scarf method, my hair felt soft and normal! Hallelujah! LOL :grin:

So, 7 months into my HHJ, I've had both MOISTURE and PROTEIN overload! And thanks to the wealth of info on this forum, I was able to take care of the situation before it became a setback. I also got to know my hair very well during these episodes. I think I'm getting the hang of this moisture/protein balance thing!

Last edited:
Back