Yarn Twist, First Attempt (Pics)

Detroit2Dallas

I LOVE THEM! Why did I wait so long to try them? This was my first attempt and because I kept getting distracted (phone, kids running around etc) it took me a couple of days but it was worth it in the end. I ended up going through two packs of Lions Brand Vanna's Choice Acrylic yarn and THEN had to run to Meijer's and got Bernat's yarn.:nono::nono:

I used two pieces of yarn for each twist. When I was done I braided the twist into a bunch of big braids, dipped the braids into boiling hot water, but only up until the part where my hair started. For that part I used mousse, then I twisted the braids around each other, and took them down this morning. Is there a special oil mix that I can make? I want to rock only yarn twist for the whole summer

I am thinking that I'm going to loc my hair within the next two years. I dont want to have a bunch of split ends nor do I want dry hair so if you ladies can pass along the "secret" recipes you use that have been successful with yarn then please help a sistah out.:yep: Oh and yes I had to lay down the "baby" hair :lol::lol: It just wouldnt be right if I didnt.

Attachments

• yarn twist 009.JPG
    yarn twist 009.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 423
  • yarn twist 010.JPG
    yarn twist 010.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 434
  • yarn twist 038.JPG
    yarn twist 038.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 423
  • yarn twist 031.JPG
    yarn twist 031.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
OMG...I think I have finally found a style for the summer. I loooovvveee your hair!! It looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF...I'm addicted!!

Thanks ladies.:drunk: I encourage the women who want to give it a try to go right ahead, it takes time but they look great afterward.

QUOTE=beautifullyblessed;13429881]Nice! They came out great. I do have one question: Wouldn't the yarn dry out your hair faster or was the yarn pretreated with moisturizer/oil?[/QUOTE]

It was just regular yarn, not pretreated. IDK where I could find pre treated yarn. Where do they sell it? I just bought some doo gro mega thick growth oil and African pride Olive Miracle Braid Spray Antibreak formula. I need to get some jojoba oil but idk what else would be good. I havent worn singles in a few years...so.

Wow you did a great job for the first time. How long do you plan on leaving them in?
Thanks, IDK, to be honest, I want to wear these for the whole summer, so like I will probably rotate refreshing them every 1/2 to 1 month. Like next month around this time I'll freshen up the hair line and then a few weeks later I'll redo the middle.... that way I dont feel overwhelmed. But then again, I know me, and I may just look up and see my hands cutting these and taking them down in a month or so :lol::lol:

I LOVE these! Totally doing them next month. :)
Try it, you willl love it! I think its hard to mess these up. Just get yourself a few movies and watch a movie while you do it..you'll be done in no time. I didnt try to make them all the exact same length either. I just let them be, I tried to stay in the same length range with the yarn but I def wasnt precise, they are layered because of this and they look like locs :yep:

They are really cute on you! and i know how you feel bout that baby hair. :look:
btw, why yarn? i'm planning on doing some senegalese twists with some kinky twist hair, but does yarn have any advantage besides being cheaper?

They are really cute on you! and i know how you feel bout that baby hair. :look:
btw, why yarn? i'm planning on doing some senegalese twists with some kinky twist hair, but does yarn have any advantage besides being cheaper?

yes it is cheaper and resemble locs. I love yarn braids twists. very easy to do but take forever to put in and take down. But this makes me want to try again.

Natural these are cute, what eyeshadow are you wearing?

Droid typing leads to typos for me

IDK if they are cheaper because I went through a bizillion packs of yarn lol, so it might have averaged out with the cost of marley braid. But they have a more earthy look to them.

yes it is cheaper and resemble locs. I love yarn braids twists. very easy to do but take forever to put in and take down. But this makes me want to try again.

Natural these are cute, what eyeshadow are you wearing?

Yes, they look ALOT like locs, I love it, thank you. I wish I could wake up and my locs look just like this because the length and size is perfect.

I'm wearing a eye shimmer powder by Black Radiance called golden sun (its a very pretty metalic gold) on my lid (i used a wet brush) and a whitish/silverish glitter from Sephora to high light my brow line I also use Maybelline Eye Studio black liner to line my eyes as well as fill in my eyebrows after using concealer to direct and perfect the shape a little better since I hadnt waxed them in about three weeks. I know I gave you WAYYYY more info then you asked but I love make up :look: :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Here is the eye shadow
http://www.blackradiancebeauty.com/Eyes/EyeShadow/Loose-Shimmer-Eye-Shadow.php

IDK if they are cheaper because I went through a bizillion packs of yarn lol, so it might have averaged out with the cost of marley braid. But they have a more earthy look to them.

Yes, they look ALOT like locs, I love it, thank you. I wish I could wake up and my locs look just like this because the length and size is perfect.

I'm wearing a eye shimmer powder by Black Radiance called golden sun (its a very pretty metalic gold) on my lid (i used a wet brush) and a whitish/silverish glitter from Sephora to high light my brow line I also use Maybelline Eye Studio black liner to line my eyes as well as fill in my eyebrows after using concealer to direct and perfect the shape a little better since I hadnt waxed them in about three weeks. I know I gave you WAYYYY more info then you asked but I love make up :look: :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Here is the eye shadow
http://www.blackradiancebeauty.com/Eyes/EyeShadow/Loose-Shimmer-Eye-Shadow.php

no thank you I appreciate it, your eyes look amazing I love the color on you and I am going to try it out. I am not good enough to bring the eyeshadow above my lid just yet. So if I take my brush, I should spray it with mac fix + to get it wet, then dip it in the shadow? That brand sounds familiar, I hope I can find it at wal mart.

ok that brand is at wal mart. I will be looking for it this week. I want some of those other ones too. How much was yours and have you tried any of their other shimmers?

ok that brand is at wal mart. I will be looking for it this week. I want some of those other ones too. How much was yours and have you tried any of their other shimmers?

I "borrowed" it from my mom :lol: so idk how much they are but I doubt if it was expensive, I do know that it lasts a LONG time because you only need a little. Sometimes I use a big brush and dust my t-zone with it to give my face a little bit of a glow, and sometimes I use it on my lip gloss in the middle to make my color pop, its pretty much multi use to me.

I use water to wet my brush girl. I cant afford all the "extras. Most of the time if you use water to wet your brush it will give you a more vibrant color no matter the brand. I havent tried anymore of their colors, I'm not faithful to any one cosmetic line. I have stuff from everywhere Victoria Secrets, Sephora, Ulta, Target it doesnt matter.

Oh and I didnt use a crease color, I just wipe the crease area with a make up remover or baby wipe and let my natural skin color be the crease color since I use two light colors for lid and brow.

Last edited:
So thank u, u just gave me my summer hair plans!! I had yarn twists before on relaxed hair and I did NOT moisturize so some of my hair locked and I had to cut it. But I had no idea about taking care of my hair and I probably left them in too long anyway.

I may try pretreating the yarn with an oil like BeautifullyBlessed was talkin about, just to increase the moisture. Thanks again! They look great!! :yep:

So thank u, u just gave me my summer hair plans!! I had yarn twists before on relaxed hair and I did NOT moisturize so some of my hair locked and I had to cut it. But I had no idea about taking care of my hair and I probably left them in too long anyway.

I may try pretreating the yarn with an oil like BeautifullyBlessed was talkin about, just to increase the moisture. Thanks again! They look great!! :yep:
Cool! I know you'll look beautiful! I just plain on mositurizing with braid spray, and my oils. Wow your hair loc'd? OMG, how long did you have them in? And you didnt moisturize at all?? What type of yarn did you use?

It was a long time ago so I don't remember how long I left them in or the type of yarn. I had someone else do them. I know it was probably at least 2 months. And no I didn't moisturize at all. I washed my hair with them in but didn't use any oil, braid spray or nothing. I was so bad to my hair. :ohwell:

But after I took them done, some of my hair had locked up pretty bad and I had to just cut it off. But I wasn't mad, it was short anyway and not too long after that I locked my hair on purpose. :)

Also, please let us know how that hot water hold up for sealing the ends. I'd love to do that instead of burning them. :)

Last edited:
I "borrowed" it from my mom :lol: so idk how much they are but I doubt if it was expensive, I do know that it lasts a LONG time because you only need a little. Sometimes I use a big brush and dust my t-zone with it to give my face a little bit of a glow, and sometimes I use it on my lip gloss in the middle to make my color pop, its pretty much multi use to me.

I use water to wet my brush girl. I cant afford all the "extras. Most of the time if you use water to wet your brush it will give you a more vibrant color no matter the brand. I havent tried anymore of their colors, I'm not faithful to any one cosmetic line. I have stuff from everywhere Victoria Secrets, Sephora, Ulta, Target it doesnt matter.

Oh and I didnt use a crease color, I just wipe the crease area with a make up remover or baby wipe and let my natural skin color be the crease color since I use two light colors for lid and brow.

girl me either that's why I am glad this is black radiance. I had this fix plus forever and I remember the lady sprayed the brush, I'm just trying to use it up,but i'ma just use water too. Yea! I am darker than you so I hope it looks pretty on me too.

WOW. I've got yarn braids at the moment. But after seeing this, I'm definitely attempting yarn twists next. They look great on you OP!

I have several posts on my blog on yarn braids. I think this one summarizes the pros and cons of yarn well: Yarn braids

Nice! They came out great. I do have one question: Wouldn't the yarn dry out your hair faster or was the yarn pretreated with moisturizer/oil?

I find yarn keeps my hair more moisturized than synthetic hair. Particularly 100% Acrylic. I wouldn't use cotton yarn. I always pretreat my yarn now.

Back