Yarn Twist, First Attempt (Pics)

I find yarn keeps my hair more moisturized than synthetic hair. Particularly 100% Acrylic. I wouldn't use cotton yarn. I always pretreat my yarn now.

:yep: The same for me. I thought they might dry my hair out but when I took them out they were extremely moisturized as if I just put the yarn in a day ago.

oh I remember I was going to say to moisturize the yarn with scurl or some jherri juice before you put them in.

Droid typing leads to typos for me

oh I remember I was going to say to moisturize the yarn with scurl or some jherri juice before you put them in.

This is pretty much what I do. A protein spray then Scurl.

Although ... I'm considering washing the yarn with some shampoo/ castille soap before using it ... maybe a few days before to give it time to dry. Because immediately after installing this this set of yarn braids, my scalp itched like heyll!!! for the first week or so. I mean, it was driving me insane. My scalp never, ever itches like this ... I think I may have been reacting to something like the dye/ whatever chemicals they use to treat the yarn (I've never used this brand before either). I think the Crown and Glory website suggests the option of dipping extensions in water before using...

looking good ... i just put yarn braids in my head last week ... LOVE THEM , this will be my protective style for a while :)

i used acrylic yarn

Last edited:
Look at you smiling with your eyes..lol
They look super hot! Great job. I am so gonna teach myself how to do something like this.

Really like them, they look good on you. Tried yarn braids at the beginning of the year, loved the look but they took forever to put in and take out. Maybe I'll try these for the summer. Any reason why you started with a braid for the twist?

Thanks Ladies.

Look at you smiling with your eyes..lol
They look super hot! Great job. I am so gonna teach myself how to do something like this.

Smizing :lol::lol::lol:

Really like them, they look good on you. Tried yarn braids at the beginning of the year, loved the look but they took forever to put in and take out. Maybe I'll try these for the summer. Any reason why you started with a braid for the twist?

Its harder to straight twist on my own head so I just started with a braid and then twisted.

Love your yarn twists how many rolls did it take? I did yarn braids but they were torture to take out and I couldn't really get them as snug as I wanted. Next time I'll try the twists for sure. I just used braid spray to moisturize mine or you can always follow the crown and glory method for extenstions.

Nice! They came out great. I do have one question: Wouldn't the yarn dry out your hair faster or was the yarn pretreated with moisturizer/oil?

I did yarn braids and they seemed to hold moisture in better than regular braid hair. Before putting them in, I mist both my hair and the twist with water/moisturizer just to be on the safe side. The braids really resembled locs so that was pretty uncanny. When you use yarn though you want to make sure it's not wool as that will loc you hair. I used the red heart brand and it worked out pretty well.

This is pretty much what I do. A protein spray then Scurl.

Although ... I'm considering washing the yarn with some shampoo/ castille soap before using it ... maybe a few days before to give it time to dry. Because immediately after installing this this set of yarn braids, my scalp itched like heyll!!! for the first week or so. I mean, it was driving me insane. My scalp never, ever itches like this ... I think I may have been reacting to something like the dye/ whatever chemicals they use to treat the yarn (I've never used this brand before either). I think the Crown and Glory website suggests the option of dipping extensions in water before using...

hmm if I try this I think I will wash first too, my head was itching like crazy too. I am going to be in school this summer so the less things to worry about the better.

Try it, you willl love it! I think its hard to mess these up. Just get yourself a few movies and watch a movie while you do it..you'll be done in no time. I didnt try to make them all the exact same length either. I just let them be, I tried to stay in the same length range with the yarn but I def wasnt precise, they are layered because of this and they look like locs :yep:

I really like the layered look that you have. I am definitely looking for something to wear for a while. I was hoping they could last about 2 months.

These look great. I would be so worried about what type of yarn to use so my hair wouldn't be dry. Yes, I was looking at silk yarn but I don't know.

How often do you wash your hair with them in? Do they get all frizzy?

Back