Yahoo Article That Helped Sooth The PJ In Me (Well A Little)

Blkrose

I guess you would call me a newbie I mostly lurk around and just shake my head in approval to comments made on particular subjects so you wont find many posts from me. In the short period of time of being a LHCF member ( I was a BHM member first) I have become a big PJ, u name it I got it: surge, castor oil, ltr leave in, megatek, ovation, redken, vo5, nioxin, ntm, joico, hairveda the list goes on and on (I'll post pics soon). Yes (standing up) My name is Tracey and I am an addict of both hair and hair products, a true addict just ask my friends and family . They threaten that my hair betta be to my ankles by next summer or their committing me :missing: and I'm only NL :blush:. I cant go in a store without looking in the hair product aisle (if they have one) just last night I bought a bottle of Giovanni Conditioner from Publix when I only went there for a bag of chicken :nono:! I know I have to slow it down and use whats right for me but when you read all the rave reviews about how good a product is especially how good it smells you cant resist...well at least I cant :lovedrool:.. anyways the point of all this is that today I was looking on Yahoo and they have an article called Splurge or Save? The Smartest Beauty Buys and heres what part of said along with some tips:

Shampoo: Save or Spend?
Save.
Shampoos are designed to cleanse the hair, and any fancy ingredients will probably go down the drain with the suds. If you have normal, non-chemically treated hair, most drugstore shampoos will do the trick. If you love the feel or the scent of an expensive shampoo but worry about the cost, rotate in a less expensive brand every other day or once a week, depending on how often you wash your hair.

Recommended Product
Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo ($4 at drugstores) is touted by hairstylists as a great inexpensive shampoo.

The Exception
If you have spent a small fortune coloring or highlighting your hair, you might want to go with the product that your hairstylist recommends to best preserve your color.

Tip: If you bought a shampoo but don't like the way it makes your hair feel, use it to clean your makeup brushes, which are best washed with a gentle shampoo.

Hair Conditioner: Save or Spend?
Spend.
Conditioner is the main way to protect and repair hair. Yes, you rinse conditioner out, but "these products are emulsions, which means they contain an oil or a wax that doesn't mix with water. Whatever healthy ingredients are in them adhere to the hair and don't wash away," says Alison Griffin. High-end conditioners sold in salons tend to have more advanced delivery systems for ingredients, meaning they penetrate the hair shafts rather than simply coating them. Spend money on one great product that makes the most difference in your daily style, says Los Angeles stylist Charles Dujic.

Recommended Product
Leonor Greyl Nourishing Treatment Jasmine Mask ($45, 866-473-9587) can be used as a daily conditioner. It has a high concentration of botanical oils and proteins, so only a small amount is needed.

The Exception
Women with fine or oily hair don't need a heavy conditioner weighing it down. They might skip conditioning altogether in favor of a light, leave-on spray.

After reading this it should make you feel a little better right....well I dont know about u but I did :rolleyes: ( :roadrunner:off to get ready for Hairvedas Black Friday Sale :grin:..............:help3:)

i really dont buy shampoo. all the shampoo i have i like but i dont use them because right now im on wen. i have like 5 bottles of shampoo and that should last me at least a year lol.

i really dont buy shampoo. all the shampoo i have i like but i dont use them because right now im on wen. i have like 5 bottles of shampoo and that should last me at least a year lol.

:lachen::lachen: I'm sorry, but that made me laugh. I have a million things that I'm not using right now because I'm always trying a new regimen/ products. I do wanna try Wen, though. :look: :scratchch:

I can't tell the last time I bought a shampoo. I make a mix of herbal shampoo I read about in a book I bought which is 3 cups boiled herbs to 1 cup castile soap. It does the trick and it's cheap. I made a huge batch which I store in the freezer so I don't need to go making often. I only wash once a week so that shampoo will last a lonnnnnng time.

Last edited:
girl. i definitly feel where ur coming from with this post.
i am definitly a product junkie n its reached new heights since ive discovered this board in march 2008. My name is Tanya and I am an addict of both hair and hair products :ohwell::yep:
my weakness is entering TJMAXx, ROSS, or MARSHALLS and coming upon the hair sections.. where they have greeat products for discounted prices.. even hair accessories.. brushes, flat irons. its pretty sad. i even bought an organic biotin keratin shampoo conditioner set before i left for my semester in spain (in aug) so not only do i have many of my own used products waiting on me but i have many unused as well. luckily i will be missing out on black friday sales otherwise all hell wouldve broken loose lol. :grin::grin: im tryying (...HARD) to swear off purchasing ANY hair products for 2009. i dont need them. allllllllllllllllllll the many products i own are good products whi:grin:ch have all done good to my hair (bsides the chi infra shampoo) just being the junkie i am, i keep buying and switching off. i have all from 4 lines of redken, keracare, sunsilk, garnier, joico, organic biotin lines, mizani, pantene for relaxd&natural, abba, vo5, cholesterols, oils, serums, just to name a few.. i have it all and i neeeeed to use them up. im going to use up one brand consistently until i run out and then switch to next all while using my staple DC pantene conditioning mask. (which is the ONE exception of purchase once i return to the states bcuz ive heard on the board it may be in the process of being discontinued):nono::nono:..

so all in all,
not only has that article helped me as well.. but writing this thread was also a sort of self therapy. i need NOT to buy any products in 2009 no matter the circumstance, sale or no sale. :wallbash::wallbash:NO PURCHASING tanya!!.. i have four flat irons.. man, n i barely even put those to use bcuz of my thick transitioning head of hair i dont have the patience to do my own hair anymore when i have a wonderful stylist who takes good care of me. anywho, 2009 is a new year for us ladies.

happy hair growing!!:yep::grin::yep::grin:

I guess you would call me a newbie I mostly lurk around and just shake my head in approval to comments made on particular subjects so you wont find many posts from me. In the short period of time of being a LHCF member ( I was a BHM member first) I have become a big PJ, u name it I got it: surge, castor oil, ltr leave in, megatek, ovation, redken, vo5, nioxin, ntm, joico, hairveda the list goes on and on (I'll post pics soon). Yes (standing up) My name is Tracey and I am an addict of both hair and hair products, a true addict just ask my friends and family . They threaten that my hair betta be to my ankles by next summer or their committing me :missing: and I'm only NL :blush:. I cant go in a store without looking in the hair product aisle (if they have one) just last night I bought a bottle of Giovanni Conditioner from Publix when I only went there for a bag of chicken :nono:! I know I have to slow it down and use whats right for me but when you read all the rave reviews about how good a product is especially how good it smells you cant resist...well at least I cant :lovedrool:.. anyways the point of all this is that today I was looking on Yahoo and they have an article called Splurge or Save? The Smartest Beauty Buys and heres what part of said along with some tips:

Shampoo: Save or Spend?
Save.
Shampoos are designed to cleanse the hair, and any fancy ingredients will probably go down the drain with the suds. If you have normal, non-chemically treated hair, most drugstore shampoos will do the trick. If you love the feel or the scent of an expensive shampoo but worry about the cost, rotate in a less expensive brand every other day or once a week, depending on how often you wash your hair.
Recommended Product
Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo ($4 at drugstores) is touted by hairstylists as a great inexpensive shampoo.
The Exception
If you have spent a small fortune coloring or highlighting your hair, you might want to go with the product that your hairstylist recommends to best preserve your color.
Tip: If you bought a shampoo but don't like the way it makes your hair feel, use it to clean your makeup brushes, which are best washed with a gentle shampoo.

Hair Conditioner: Save or Spend?
Spend.
Conditioner is the main way to protect and repair hair. Yes, you rinse conditioner out, but "these products are emulsions, which means they contain an oil or a wax that doesn't mix with water. Whatever healthy ingredients are in them adhere to the hair and don't wash away," says Alison Griffin. High-end conditioners sold in salons tend to have more advanced delivery systems for ingredients, meaning they penetrate the hair shafts rather than simply coating them. Spend money on one great product that makes the most difference in your daily style, says Los Angeles stylist Charles Dujic.

Recommended Product
Leonor Greyl Nourishing Treatment Jasmine Mask ($45, 866-473-9587) can be used as a daily conditioner. It has a high concentration of botanical oils and proteins, so only a small amount is needed.

The Exception
Women with fine or oily hair don't need a heavy conditioner weighing it down. They might skip conditioning altogether in favor of a light, leave-on spray.

After reading this it should make you feel a little better right....well I dont know about u but I did :rolleyes: ( :roadrunner:off to get ready for Hairvedas Black Friday Sale :grin:..............:help3:)

Great article. I have some expensive shampoos but they came with sets of conditioner. Those small bottles last forever over here. LOL. The people at Ulta/Trade Secret always look at me like I'm crazy with all of my bottles of conditioner and no shampoo...one even pointed it out one day, like I didn't know. LOL.

OMG this is the funniest quote I've ever seen
"just last night I bought a bottle of Giovanni Conditioner from Publix when I only went there for a bag of chicken"

That pretty much sums up my life! LMAO I'm banned from the hair care aisle

i kinda agree, shampoo is less important to me. i spend more money on conditioners and leave ins, but . . . the shampoos i use are effective detanglers which i need as a stretcher and cannot buy at cvs.

My name is Tanya and I am an addict of both hair and hair products :ohwell::yep:
.......im tryying (...HARD) to swear off purchasing ANY hair products for 2009. not only has that article helped me as well.. but writing this thread was also a sort of self therapy. i need NOT to buy any products in 2009 no matter the circumstance, sale or no sale. :wallbash::wallbash:NO PURCHASING tanya!!.. i 2009 is a new year for us ladies.

happy hair growing!!:yep::grin::yep::grin:

LOL glad the article helped you too...2009 will definitely be a new year for us all especially for me after learning about so much on this site.....I too will try to not buy any new hair products in 2009 (telling myself while driving to Marshalls and TJ MAXX before the yr is up), Gods willing.........try really really hard....:look:lol...had to laugh at myself at that one but for real I'm going to really try.

Heres To Happy and Successful Hair Growing To All for 2009!​

OMG this is the funniest quote I've ever seen
"just last night I bought a bottle of Giovanni Conditioner from Publix when I only went there for a bag of chicken"

That pretty much sums up my life! LMAO I'm banned from the hair care aisle

Girl for real I pratically ran to it when I saw it :lachen:!

I spend most of my $$$ for conditioners and oh oils, growth aids, ingredients for home mixes too :blush:. It does make me feel a little better that I maybe saving a $ or so by not buying shampoo. I just bought Hair One a month that was like $10 to use like a shampoo but at least I not buying cheap shampoos :grin:.

True PJ to the day I die.

Back