Wow, hairpins DO make a difference!

Ebonygurl00

I went to Walgreens today to pick up some cheapie Vo5 to condition with. When I was there, I decided to get some more bobby pins. Ok, when everyone was saying that they used hairpins to secure their buns/protective styles, I thought you all meant bobby pins! I was using those bobby pins made for rollersetting. They would cut my scalp, and they seemed to "cut" my hair a little. Well, I went to go get some, and I saw that there's actually hairpins! I didn't know! Yeah, I know, I'm slow, lol. These hairpins are made by Scuncci, and they're tiny and thin. I just washed my hair and pinned it up with one, and I can't even feel it! Wow, these ARE better than scrunchies! Next time, I'll try not to be so slow.:lol:

LOL, I wasn't the only one? :lol:

You HAVE to try them, they're so much better! Those bobby pins were doing more harm to my hair than scrunchies ever did!

I don't know if anyone is interested but tenderheaded.com have good hairpins that does not snag your hair. I purchased some and use them to pin my hair up.:)

tsmith said:
I don't know if anyone is interested but tenderheaded.com have good hairpins that does not snag your hair. I purchased some and use them to pin my hair up.:)

Wow, thanks! When I run out of mine, I'll get some of these. How many do you get in a pack? Mine came with 100 for $2.50, I think?

GoGoChik said:
Umm... I was using the bobby pins :look:

Guess, I'll have to go and find these "hairpins"...
Me, too!!:lachen:I feel so crazy cuz I thought everyone was using bobby pins. Ebony, girl you are just on top of it. Im glad I found this thread:grin:

Ebonygurl00 said:
I went to Walgreens today to pick up some cheapie Vo5 to condition with. When I was there, I decided to get some more bobby pins. Ok, when everyone was saying that they used hairpins to secure their buns/protective styles, I thought you all meant bobby pins! I was using those bobby pins made for rollersetting. They would cut my scalp, and they seemed to "cut" my hair a little. Well, I went to go get some, and I saw that there's actually hairpins! I didn't know! Yeah, I know, I'm slow, lol. These hairpins are made by Scuncci, and they're tiny and thin. I just washed my hair and pinned it up with one, and I can't even feel it! Wow, these ARE better than scrunchies! Next time, I'll try not to be so slow.:lol:

You are right, they are much more comfortable. I used to put my hair up in a bun and secure it with a cotton/lycra headband, and wondered why sometimes my ends didn't come down smooth.

When I started pinning them up my ends ALWAYS come down smooth.

If you want a real treat, get yourself a few boxes of Good Hair Days pins. They are plastic, larger than regular hair pins, and are designed to give a secure hold w/o pulling your hair out. I can put all my hair up in a bun with three of these! You can get them at Sally's.:D

Ebonygurl00 said:

Then I think I have the opposite problem:) . I always use hair pins and I thought they were also called bobby pins. So what are bobby pins then? What do you need them for?

ETA: I did a little research and I have discovered that I had it wrong. I thought bobby pins were hair pins too. I have been using bobby pins. I wonder if hair pins are that much different. I love my bobby pins and they work well so far.

Last edited:
OK! I've seen this before but don't know how to use them. Sounds dumb huh :lachen: How do they stay in the hair when they are in an open position? I'm going to buy some tonight and see what all the hubbub is about. ;)

I use Amish hair pins. I absolutely love them. Before I started using them, I thought my only option was bobby pins, which rip my hair. It's always wonderful to find hair accessories that work well and don't damage the hair. :)

shunta: LOL, I thought the same thing! Thanks, I love to help people!!

winterinatl: My ends came out really smooth with these, too! How much are the Good Day hair pins? Ok, now I have to go to Sally's to get some.:lol:

Lkaysgirl: Are your bobby pins thick? Mine are thick, I could see where they were "cutting" my hair where I put them in. Hair pins are thin, so they don't cut the hair. I can't even feel them!

*Bre~Bre*: LOL, when I first opened the package, I thought I would have to take them back because it looked like they wouldn't hold my hair up. All I did was slide them in, and they stayed put perfectly! Tell me if they work for you!

Cichelle: I've heard of Amish hair pins, but I can never find them! I think I'll just order some online. I'm glad to see that it isn't just my hair that can't take bobby pins! I'm really happy that I found these, because now there won't be any damage!

I love my Good Hair Day Pins, they're the BEST:grin:

Sally's sell them too.

winterinatl said:
You are right, they are much more comfortable. I used to put my hair up in a bun and secure it with a cotton/lycra headband, and wondered why sometimes my ends didn't come down smooth.

When I started pinning them up my ends ALWAYS come down smooth.

If you want a real treat, get yourself a few boxes of Good Hair Days pins. They are plastic, larger than regular hair pins, and are designed to give a secure hold w/o pulling your hair out. I can put all my hair up in a bun with three of these! You can get them at Sally's.:D

I ran out and got those Good Day Pins at Sally's and my hair laughed at them! They dont really keep my hair up at all.

Hair pins do not hold my hair either. They just slide out.

All I can use are the bobby pins. I have wanted to try the Amish pins also.

Last edited:
Ebonygurl00 said:
shunta: LOL, I thought the same thing! Thanks, I love to help people!!

winterinatl: My ends came out really smooth with these, too! How much are the Good Day hair pins? Ok, now I have to go to Sally's to get some.:lol:

Lkaysgirl: Are your bobby pins thick? Mine are thick, I could see where they were "cutting" my hair where I put them in. Hair pins are thin, so they don't cut the hair. I can't even feel them!

*Bre~Bre*: LOL, when I first opened the package, I thought I would have to take them back because it looked like they wouldn't hold my hair up. All I did was slide them in, and they stayed put perfectly! Tell me if they work for you!

Cichelle: I've heard of Amish hair pins, but I can never find them! I think I'll just order some online. I'm glad to see that it isn't just my hair that can't take bobby pins! I'm really happy that I found these, because now there won't be any damage!

The Good Day pins are about 2.99 for about 12. (if that many)

MizaniMami said:
*feels super slow and left out*

What are yall even using these for?

I use them to keep those extra strands of hair that always come loose when I bun.

I feel stupid for throwing a whole pack of hair pins away now. I stole them from my momma a few years ago, but then I could never figure out how to position them in my hair. I tossed them 2 months ago.

MizaniMami said:

I actually use mine to hold my protective style. My hair is short enough right now that I can get away with it. I have thick hair, and these work great for me!

Ebony what protective style do you do? Do the pins really hold all day? I have been using the wrong pins - I'm going to CVS tonight!

Ebonygurl00 said:
I actually use mine to hold my protective style. My hair is short enough right now that I can get away with it. I have thick hair, and these work great for me!

determined_to_grow said:
Ebony what protective style do you do? Do the pins really hold all day? I have been using the wrong pins - I'm going to CVS tonight!

I got my protective style from MizaniMami. I do one big 2-strand twist (like you're doing a ponytail), and just pin it up. The style held all today! I do have to use a bobby pin to sleep with it, though, because I'm a rough sleeper. The hair pins haven't fell out once, and I'm used to readjusting the bobby pin all day, which is more manipulation. I hope they work out for you!

Whoa I am going to get those pins because i have been doing a bun a few days and by the end of the day I have a lot of fly-aways...

Thank you girl...

Ebonygurl00 said:
I got my protective style from MizaniMami. I do one big 2-strand twist (like you're doing a ponytail), and just pin it up. The style held all today! I do have to use a bobby pin to sleep with it, though, because I'm a rough sleeper. The hair pins haven't fell out once, and I'm used to readjusting the bobby pin all day, which is more manipulation. I hope they work out for you!

I use my Amish pins to hold my hair when I put it in a bun. It took a minute for me to learn how to use them. They don't squeeze onto hair the way bobby pins do.

They look like this:

amishhairpins.jpg

They come in different sizes. I put the pin in through the bun angled towards my scalp and then push it outward again, if that makes sense. They are smooth and never snag my hair. I really like them and they become more useful as my hair gets longer.

Thanks for the hair pin tip:lachen:
...I've always used bobby pins and they always came out of my hair with a few broken strands...i've bought and tried the hair pins and they slide in and out like a dream (hairless).

....Only thing is, when i try using them to secure a pony, i seem to feel them digging more into my scalp:confused:. Is this normal or am i putting them in wrong?

MizaniMami said:

French twists, buns.

I forgot to mention earlier, I usually never put my hair up bone DRY. It might be dry to start with, but then after I add a little water+conditioner and oil, it is just moist enough to hold itself up pretty securley with a few Good Hair days pins.

Oh, and those big open hairpins come in two sizes, maybe even three. I used to use more big hairpins for a bun, but the Good Hair Days take less for me.:)

Cichelle said:
I use my Amish pins to hold my hair when I put it in a bun. It took a minute for me to learn how to use them. They don't squeeze onto hair the way bobby pins do.

They look like this:

amishhairpins.jpg

They come in different sizes. I put the pin in through the bun angled towards my scalp and then push it outward again, if that makes sense. They are smooth and never snag my hair. I really like them and they become more useful as my hair gets longer.

Cichelle do u think that the amish pins could be used to wrap my twists??
and where can i get them?

Back