Would you be offended if you went to a salon and they asked you to

I don't think I would have been offended, but ITA with the other posters about offering some type of disposable flip flop or something. I have more of an issue with the lack of explanation about the policy. As for the sanitation thing... if this is a "true" salon, they should have a salon grade posted somewhere indicating the grade they were given by the health department. Was that posted somewhere? Something sounds a little fishy to me. You did the right thing by walking out if you did not feel comfortable with the policy.

Um..... no.

Taking your shoes off is a sign of respect. And to not take them off when in someone else's domain when asked is VERY DISRESPECTFUL.

And honestly, if I saw that it was a practiced policy (i.e. that EVERYONE had their shoes off and there was obviously a provision for shoes (the shoe rack)) I would NOT be offended.

However, I WOULD be offended if I were a customer there and saw some other customer making a scene about something like taking her shoes off, when she saw full well that I, and everyone else who was in the salon had taken THEIRS off.

Its such a little thing. And honestly, their reason is totally valid. its THEIR salon. THEY pay the rent on the building, THEY have to clean it every night not you. So, because of that, if they asked for you to help keep it clean by removing your shoes... then it shouldn't be THAT bid of an issue. Besides, she even gave you an alternative.

I personally think you overreacted, and might have been a little unreasonable, but thats just my opinion.

Im dead ass. Im weird anyway:perplexed.....wet floors freak me out even more because whatever is on the floor is surely to stick on your feet then.

i feel u on this. my whole house is carpeted except for the bathroom and kitchen and whenever i go into those rooms, i automatically start tip-toeing. i just think the floor might be wet and i might step in it and then all types of crap is gonna stick to me feet. ughhhh.

also, i can't stand the feel of flip flops in between my toes or socks around my ankles, and since i wouldn't want to be tip-toeing around the salon like an idiot, i'd have to say PASS on this one...

that's some serious wtf. seems like the salon has nothing to do with the policy, they are just renting the place and it is the building owner who has it. the owner prob has a good reason for this requirement, but if you are gonna be running a salon, it's a dum move to rent a place that has this kind of policy...just dum.

Im dead ass. Im weird anyway:perplexed.....wet floors freak me out even more because whatever is on the floor is surely to stick on your feet then.

me too..What about toilet paper on the floor? That urks me to the max.

OP...I probably wouldn't have done it either; besides $300 is too steep for my pocket book.

No, I would not have done it either...:nono:

Salon floors are disgusting...ewww :bah:

My father is a barber and he told me about all the nastiness that in hair...

He sweeps after every cut, and sometimes, he will take a Swifter to the floor in between cuts...My father is super anal.

The scenario would have been exactly the same if it were me too, cause I know that as soon as she told me that I had to take them off I wouldn't have done it, but I would have waited to hear their explaination. Only cause I am nosy. :detective:

I also would have told them how unsanitary that is and asked if the health department knew about this...:perplexed

But that's just me....:ohwell:

Um..... no.

Taking your shoes off is a sign of respect. And to not take them off when in someone else's domain when asked is VERY DISRESPECTFUL.

And honestly, if I saw that it was a practiced policy (i.e. that EVERYONE had their shoes off and there was obviously a provision for shoes (the shoe rack)) I would NOT be offended.

However, I WOULD be offended if I were a customer there and saw some other customer making a scene about something like taking her shoes off, when she saw full well that I, and everyone else who was in the salon had taken THEIRS off.

Its such a little thing. And honestly, their reason is totally valid. its THEIR salon. THEY pay the rent on the building, THEY have to clean it every night not you. So, because of that, if they asked for you to help keep it clean by removing your shoes... then it shouldn't be THAT bid of an issue. Besides, she even gave you an alternative.

I personally think you overreacted, and might have been a little unreasonable, but thats just my opinion.

But this is a SALON, that is governed by certain state laws and regulations in order to keep their license. Not somebody's HOME. And I'm quite certain that it does not say anywhere in those rules that you can ask your patrons to take their shoes off. What happened to No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service? I'm sure there is a reason why that rule is in place.

Also, taking shoes off out of respect is not standard across the board here in the US. Maybe other places it is. If the rule was truly out of respect, or for spiritual or holistic reasons why didn't either one of the people who told me to take my shoes off say that when I asked them why? And why didn't they have the policy at the salon they were at before they moved to this one 2 weeks ago? Explain that...

Last edited:
I wouldnt be offended, but i certainly would not have taken my shoes off... I would have just found another salon. Firstly you dont know how often they sanitize that floor and who has been up in there walking around with their funky sweaty dirty athletes feet. And not even to mention what happens if someone walks out of the salon with your new pair of expensive shoes. Would they be willing to pay for them? They need to revisit that policy cause they probably can catch a lawsuit if you catch a foot disease. Dont yall notice that lately when you go to a doctor and you step on a scale, then never ever ask you to remove your shoes. they used to. It has something to do with a new law that they cannot ask you because it can be unsanitary.

I did notice that last time I went to the Drs. but I didn't know that it was because of a law. I guess you learn something new everyday.

But this is a SALON, that is governed by certain state laws and regulations in order to keep their license. Not somebody's HOME. And I'm quite certain that it does not say anywhere in those rules that you can ask your patrons to take their shoes off. What happened to No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service? I'm sure there is a reason why that rule is in place.

Unfortunately, though "no shoes no shirt no service is NOT a government regulated law. Nor is it an across the board thing every establishment has their OWN views on what is acceptable and what is not. It is also NOT associated with ANY health regulations.

No shirt/shoes/service signs rules that SOME (stressing the word SOME) businesses choose to display to help steer away, "unsightly" or impoverished would be customers, to help keep the place looking "nice" and "respectable". They are NOT health regulations, nor are they required to turn away service from individuals without certain items of clothing.

If it were a health hazard, for public places to have people running around without shoes, then health departments across the country would be shutting down tanning salons, nail shops, and beaches, like wildfire.

I hate to tell you, but not having on shoes, is NOT a health hazard. Neither is not wearing a shirt. Feet, are no more dirty than hands, and if your THAT worried about germs, being transmitted via uncovered body parts, Id be more worried about that nail tech that didn't wash her hands after they came in direct contact with her booty after she went to the bathroom and didn't wash her hands, than a pair of feet that have been covered and protected by layers of cotton and rubber all day. (And while they may smell a little they are probably not as big of a health threat as unwashed hands laden with hep.B)

ya know?

For a Salon I find it strange to ask someone to remove their shoes, it is simply unsanitary. I Feng Shui my home and my shoes come off at the Foyer, if I have a guest I provide flip flops (lil paper ones). Thats only for home. A Salon oh hell no. What if something happens and someone gets injured?

You did the right thing! I would NOT have taken off my shoes either walking around on a floor with hair:perplexed and my toes all exposed for every other customer to see:nono:. I like flip flops galore... but I would want to wear my own... not what they provided(especially if they use those over again with other customers) *yuck*

I wouldnt be offended, but i certainly would not have taken my shoes off... I would have just found another salon. Firstly you dont know how often they sanitize that floor and who has been up in there walking around with their funky sweaty dirty athletes feet. And not even to mention what happens if someone walks out of the salon with your new pair of expensive shoes. Would they be willing to pay for them? They need to revisit that policy cause they probably can catch a lawsuit if you catch a foot disease. Dont yall notice that lately when you go to a doctor and you step on a scale, then never ever ask you to remove your shoes. they used to. It has something to do with a new law that they cannot ask you because it can be unsanitary.

ITA

I wouldn't be offended I'd just politely choose to leave.
To me there's a huge difference b/t going shoeless in your own home or when visiting friends and family and going barefoot in a public place like a salon. Especially with the tile floor, cut hair, styling instruments and random strangers' foot hygiene issues. I'd just as soon walk barefoot across the cold tiles in the drugstore. Yeah, shoes can carry some nasty stuff inside across one's floor and etc., but there's also nasty unhygenic stuff between people's toes and on their shed/cut hair.
Ugh, I'm just thinking about how nasty some people's heads and feet look, and the prospect of me walking across a tile floor getting their dandruff and toe jams stuck to the bottom of my feet. :nono:

and yes I am one of those anal people that are bothered by shed hair on the floor :lol: especially tile :look:

Last edited:
um, excuse me, (not trying to offend) but wont it smell like feet all up in there? and with the heat from appliances and the smell of chemicals... i bet the smell could get quite... interesting at times. And wouldn't it be destracting looking at people's toe's all day... you know how when you get your hair done, and sometimes you have to keep your head in a certain position for a little while... what if while in said position, all that was in your view were random peoples bunions, toejam and ingrown toenails, and you had to be stuck like that for 5-10 minutes? everyones toes arent cute, or clean and nobody wants to be stuck looking at them (unless you're into that sort of thing)... while i understand their position... i think it would be best if they had disposable slippers/socks/flipflops for their customers.

(and the feet smell is not implied for all places/homes who go shoeless. In my home, we dont wear shoes (unless its house shoes/slippers). They are taken off at the foyer... but we also have a handy stash of inscents too... just in case.)

Eeeeeeeew! There's no way I'd go barefoot in a salon! There's too much spent hair, shampoo, product, hair color on the floor to even think about it! Also, a broken glass jar, athlete's foot, and the bathroom to add to that?!?!?!?! :dighole:

In Texas, it is a BLATANT violation of health/sanitation/safety code for anyone to be in a salon barefoot - even babies. One of my husband's classes is a cosmetology sanitation class. Even the stylists aren't allowed to work in open-toed shoes for sanitation and safety reasons.

Hope that salon has GOOD liability insurance!

Unfortunately, though "no shoes no shirt no service is NOT a government regulated law. Nor is it an across the board thing every establishment has their OWN views on what is acceptable and what is not. It is also NOT associated with ANY health regulations.

No shirt/shoes/service signs rules that SOME (stressing the word SOME) businesses choose to display to help steer away, "unsightly" or impoverished would be customers, to help keep the place looking "nice" and "respectable". They are NOT health regulations, nor are they required to turn away service from individuals without certain items of clothing.

If it were a health hazard, for public places to have people running around without shoes, then health departments across the country would be shutting down tanning salons, nail shops, and beaches, like wildfire.

I hate to tell you, but not having on shoes, is NOT a health hazard. Neither is not wearing a shirt. Feet, are no more dirty than hands, and if your THAT worried about germs, being transmitted via uncovered body parts, Id be more worried about that nail tech that didn't wash her hands after they came in direct contact with her booty after she went to the bathroom and didn't wash her hands, than a pair of feet that have been covered and protected by layers of cotton and rubber all day. (And while they may smell a little they are probably not as big of a health threat as unwashed hands laden with hep.B)

ya know?

I should be a lawyer. I will find any way to be right.:lachen:

You are right, there are no laws banning customers entering or being in an establishment barefoot. However, OSHA does have specific requirements requiring employees of said establishments wear foot coverings... I recall Bmore stating that she saw someone twisting locs barefoot..

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9786
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9786
They were breaking some kinda laws up in there... Dang on it..:lachen:

Not to mention they are putting themselves in a position for a lawsuit if a customer hurts themselves, given it could happen with shoes, but the chance is definitely increased with "shoe-less" patrons...

I should be a lawyer. I will find any way to be right.:lachen:

You are right, there are no laws banning customers entering or being in an establishment barefoot. However, OSHA does have specific requirements requiring employees of said establishments wear foot coverings... I recall Bmore stating that she saw someone twisting locs barefoot..

They were breaking some kinda laws up in there... Dang on it..:lachen:

Not to mention they are putting themselves in a position for a lawsuit if a customer hurts themselves, given it could happen with shoes, but the chance is definitely increased with "shoe-less" patrons...

And they'd better be glad they aren't working with relaxed heads... because let some relaxer drop on your foot from that bowl . . . or coloring . . . or a marcel iron :lachen:

And they'd better be glad they aren't working with relaxed heads... because let some relaxer drop on your foot from that bowl . . . or coloring . . . or a marcel iron :lachen:

:yep: Imagine this on your foot!

images

If there was some type of spiritual reason or something then cool...but the building owner's policy...Ummm no! How can you have an establishment to serve the public and not allow shoes? If that is the case they should have shoe coverings or those disposable flip flops like the nail spa.

Eeeeeeeew! There's no way I'd go barefoot in a salon! There's too much spent hair, shampoo, product, hair color on the floor to even think about it! Also, a broken glass jar, athlete's foot, and the bathroom to add to that?!?!?!?! :dighole:

In Texas, it is a BLATANT violation of health/sanitation/safety code for anyone to be in a salon barefoot - even babies. One of my husband's classes is a cosmetology sanitation class. Even the stylists aren't allowed to work in open-toed shoes for sanitation and safety reasons.

Hope that salon has GOOD liability insurance!

Thank you for posting this! I knew it was a health hazard and had to do with sanitation.

Last edited:
Taking shoes off at the door is what we do in our house and what we expect from guests as well. So to me it'd be just like home!

WTF - I actually think it would be unsanitary to walk around barefoot on floors that you don't know when or how they were cleaned! :blush: Are they going to pay your doctor bills if you catch an infection or step on something. :nono:

You did the RIGHT thing!
+
I agree. That's nasty to me. I have a thing about no shoes. My feet don't touch the floor in my own house so I know I'm not walking around a salon with no shoes, who knows what has spilled on the floor, chemicals or anything, not to mention other people's hair *barf*.

There is no way in heck I'm walking around a business barefoot. That's gross. You handled the situation well. It seems like every natural salon I have attempted to go to had some ish going on. Either the stylist wouldn't return my calls, wouldn't show up for appointments or cancel appointments at the last minute. I guess I will just have to wear my hair the same everyday.

:lachen:

Wouldn't have bothered or offended me at all - but then, I go barefoot 75% of the time, anyhow.... :lol

Also, fungus needs dark and moisture to grow, so wearing shoes LESS means LESS foot fungus, not more. How often do you wash the inside of your shoes vs. how often you wash your feet? *shudder*

I wouldn't be offended because grime on the bottom of the shoes contain pollutants that contaminate the air so I understand the concern. However, they should maybe tell people ahead of time to bring some flip flops/house shoes cause my bare foot isn't touching anyones floor. I don't even walk barefoot in my own house and I know that my floors are clean.

Last edited:
ITA

Neither the State Health Dept. nor OSHA would not be down with this at all. Stylists have to wear closed toe shoes for safety and hygiene reasons. Plus their clients are walking around spreading goodness knows what from their feet to the salon floor, to the bathroom, and back. I wouldn't even wear socks - scissors, razors, hot tools? :nono: Plus, cut hair can be like a splinter in your skin (been there).There is no way on earth I'd walk barefoot in a salon. They'd better hope no inspectors show up. :nono:
:ohwell::nono::nono:
I hadn't even thought about these things..... who walks barefoot in and out of a public bathroom.....that alone makes that salon a cesspool as far as I am concerned. I don't care how cosmetically clean it appears to be. UKH! Just thinking about those reports of what is on bathroom floors. This type of salon is automatically a hell naw! for me!!!! Walk in barefoot, walk out with E.Coli or Staph in my feet? No ma'am. :nono:

I think you did the right thing...that is not the owners home...and like someone else mentioned you dont know what or when they last cleaned those floors....

if its something that they want to stipulate as a rule for people coming to there salon they need to also supply them with some cheap flip flops or socks then...thats crazy i wouldve done the same thing and left especially since it wasnt mentioned over the phone.

I think that is really not the best business practice on there part i understand a level of having the customers feel comfortable but then again i dont want to take my shoes off at no ones business new or old i dont care...

I was gonna say that. I believe that if you are a stylist you have to wear closed toe shoes in the salon.

But I wouldnt have been bothered ..

as long as they had some slippers for me.

:lachen:

Wouldn't have bothered or offended me at all - but then, I go barefoot 75% of the time, anyhow.... :lol

Also, fungus needs dark and moisture to grow, so wearing shoes LESS means LESS foot fungus, not more. How often do you wash the inside of your shoes vs. how often you wash your feet? *shudder*

Me TOOOO!!!!!!:yep:
I even drive barefoot or if I am wearing sneakers I drive with my socks on, for me its annoying to drive with shoes on.

You do have a good point on the fungus stuff.

That's sounds disgusting. I would not want my bare feet on a salon floor where all manner of things are falling to the floor all day. It's a business not a home. I'm surprised they would move into a building like that. I'm sure you're not the first customer that left because of it.

State Board of Cosmetology exams cover diseases and disorders of the hair, skin and nails for a reason. Some people are filthy. Also, if a cosmetology student shows up on the clinic floor wearing even open-toed shoes, they are sent home.

People are walking around with infectious skin/nail diseases and don't even know it. Do you really want to walk barefoot after these people or share flip flops and socks with them? YOU may be clean and disease-free, but ol' girl with the oozing pustules and weeping sores may not be.:barf:

Back